F1: 2014 on PS4/Xbox One/PC

• Thread starter 0zzy
  • 515 comments
I´m a bit of a F1 nerd myself so I have to admit so buy the new one every year since a few years back, although I do agree that the games are very similar and even look alike there is small differences between for example 2012 and 2013 no matter how alike they are. Imho 2012 is a bit to easy, can basically just hit apex and stomp the gas pedal right away and off you go with too little wheel spin and in that aspect 2013 is an improvement cause it´s a bit more sensitive so do the same with 2013 you will most likely spin off the track (no TC or other help) or at very least loose time and I for one like that aspect cause of the fact that it is more realistic.

For people who care less about realistic behavior, have a bad economy or for any other reason don´t want to buy a new one every year I absolutely agree if you own 2012 or 2013 you don´t need the other one just because they are so very similar at very least in appearance. Unless you want a certain track not on the calendar that year or absolute want the classics that is, then obviously 2013 is a must, although the classic content of 2013 is not worth it imo though.
I admit I bought it partly cause of that but was very disappointing, I think Codies spent way too little time/resources on that + did not even include Ayrton Senna or his MP4/4 which is almost blasphemy imo lol.

Obviously these are only my own personal opinions and I can only speak for myself, I also absolutely do respect other peoples views on it and honestly apart from these differences yes these games are very similar in appearances and the way they feel overall. Also (again just my opinion) Codies F1 series still have a lot to learn when it comes to FFB so I hope they take a page from the AC book in that department, one can always wish right? :D For now I so hope that 2014 have a more realistic FFB and that the cars are a lot more sensitive, apart from the obvious rule change I mean, utilizing a different aero-package with tinier wings, more torque, harder rubber etc.. Soon we will know and thank god cause I cannot wait much longer hehe, perhaps like some already suggested we would be better off if Codemasters spent all resources on 2015 instead? Hope October 17 will provide us with some answers?

Unless you want a certain track not on the calendar that year or absolute want the classics that is, then obviously 2013 is a must, although the classic content of 2013 is not worth it imo though.I admit I bought it partly cause of that but was very disappointing, I think Codies spent way too little time/resources on that + did not even include Ayrton Senna or his MP4/4 which is almost blasphemy imo lol.

I disagree with the classic content being disappointing, although only in the context that they had to go through Bernie E to get the licensing sorted which must have been a right pain to do even for the small selection of cars! I'm pretty sure Codemasters said they had wanted to do classics from the beginning, but they only got the agreements sorted for 2013 - and they were clearly very strict agreements, as they've been dropped again for 2014! Sigh........

The lack of McLaren is not their fault either, obscure sim-racer simraceway has an exclusive deal (boo to exclusive licensing). As for Senna I'm not sure really, perhaps the Senna Institute didn't want to work with CM given they're currently working with PD, and with Reiza Studios on their Senna tribute project? Just guessing.

That´s ok my friend, life is all about disagreement at times imho. :)

Ok cool thanks for info, could be could be? Bernie is one strange guy and perhaps a bit too greedy as well you never know? Can only speculate don´t know the guy or anyone who does either.

Why I personally find it disappointing is cause I do find both graphics (in cars, perhaps I´m too picky?) as well as the sound to be of lesser quality compared to the 2013 spec car content, I suspect they spent most resources on that but could be wrong? Especially the sound is what I find very "8-bit´ish" if you know what I mean, then again I guess the sound could always be more like real life but perhaps it´s not possible at this point in time?

As far as the feeling goes it´s hard to say I´v never driven any formula 1 car in my hole life so difficult to say what to expect really?

That´s ok my friend, life is all about disagreement at times imho. :)

Ok cool thanks for info, could be could be? Bernie is one strange guy and perhaps a bit too greedy as well you never know? Can only speculate don´t know the guy or anyone who does either.

Why I personally find it disappointing is cause I do find both graphics (in cars, perhaps I´m too picky?) as well as the sound to be of lesser quality compared to the 2013 spec car content, I suspect they spent most resources on that but could be wrong? Especially the sound is what I find very "8-bit´ish" if you know what I mean, then again I guess the sound could always be more like real life but perhaps it´s not possible at this point in time?

As far as the feeling goes it´s hard to say I´v never driven any formula 1 car in my hole life so difficult to say what to expect really?

Those are fair complaints, although if anything I'd say graphics and sounds are fairly weak across all cars in the games imo. The lighting engine on consoles just isn't powerful enough, so cars have this 'washed out' or 'glazed over' look which I've always disliked. And I guess the consoles limit how meaty the sounds can be too. Although thinking back you're probably right about the classics not sounding as good the the current cars - especially when your expectations of V10s and V12 are far greater!

Yes my friend you are correct and thanks for explaining what I meant better then I did myself, I´m not a native English speaker so sometimes I just lack the words/grammar to explain what I mean or at very least explain it well enough!
At very least my vocabulary is very limited so have to keep it simple when I "talk" but that´s ok as long as I´m understood I suppose..

I see your point about consoles although lack enough knowledge about the subject to really say whether correct or not, I do however know that many games are ported to PC from consoles which imho is the wrong way to do it. well I should think that cause I´m a PC nerd myself hehe. :D I guess what I´m saying is that I wish they always ported games from PC to consoles instead but yet again this is not my ares of expertise so I could be talking about stuff I don´t really know anything about here so maybe I´m not taking technical requirements into consideration?

Although if a game required let´s say a modern high end CPU like for ex: a Haswell + GPU like for ex: GTX780/970/980 or R9 290/290X to max out a game @ a single 1080p then that would make it really hard for a console to utilize even with great coding or at very least I suspect so? I understand they need to make games that most us can play in the first play whether on console or PC but obviously now I´m speculating according to what makes sense to me so who know?

Either way I think the games will become better and better just wish it could speed up a bit haha :lol:

Sorry for all slight OffT guys, will better myself asap. Will for sure come back in exactly a week and give my opinion on F1 2014 though and that should be all OnT.

Yes my friend you are correct and thanks for explaining what I meant better then I did myself, I´m not a native English speaker so sometimes I just lack the words/grammar to explain what I mean or at very least explain it well enough!
At very least my vocabulary is very limited so have to keep it simple when I "talk" but that´s ok as long as I´m understood I suppose..

No problem at all, from here your english is very good! :)

I see your point about consoles although lack enough knowledge about the subject to really say whether correct or not, I do however know that many games are ported to PC from consoles which imho is the wrong way to do it. well I should think that cause I´m a PC nerd myself hehe. :D I guess what I´m saying is that I wish they always ported games from PC to consoles instead but yet again this is not my ares of expertise so I could be talking about stuff I don´t really know anything about here so maybe I´m not taking technical requirements into consideration?

Honestly I don't know anything about the F1 games on the PC, but it's usually the case that multiplatform games are limited on PC, I don't know how it's been for F1 though.

Either way I think the games will become better and better just wish it could speed up a bit haha :lol:

Haha I fully agree with that! I guess it hurts that Codemasters have to make a game every year, so there's only so much they can complete in 12 months. It'd be cool if they missed a year out so that they could better work on big things.............then again I'm partly to blame that they don't do that because I'm one of the people who happily buys every version! :lol:

Well thanks appreciate that.

Yeah if one got very powerful PC hardware it can mostly run higher settings compared to consoles although suspect software also need to be up for it and they do port games so??

Hehehe I hear you me too, perhaps you are correct and that it would make a difference should Codemasters work for 2 years on a game instead of only 1?

I would like to say I was lucky enough to play 2014 already and all I can say people is brace yourself. It's has improoved so much, just the overall game play is incredible. Mark my words people lol.

How the hell...Wait, did it already come out in certain places or are you guys playing demo builds?

How the hell...Wait, did it already come out in certain places or are you guys playing demo builds?

Its ready for release in the EU, maybe if you got a friend who works at a store can hook you up too. Should be on shelves this week.

IMG_20141013_133621869[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141013_133544214_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20141013_133544214_HDR[1].jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Are we still getting a PC version early/mid next year that goes with the PS4 and XBO? If so, has anything been said about this years PC version and how it will differ. Is next year the real deal version for PC and this years is a stop gap?

The graphics look a little more polished compared to 2013, not as refined as GT6. It still feels like there are background assist as it feels like in F1 2013 even when on hard with everything shut off. Maybe its in my head, it just feels a bit like some magic god is helping me

Cars have more low end tq so throttle control is needed more so than in 2013, default set up on my G27 feels a bit wandery, Im going to look into fixing this, I do not like

In the shorter season lengths, do you get to choose the tracks or are they pre-defined?

I entered the 12 race season & dont have a choice on location, it follows a schedule.

Last edited:
From what I gather if you're slightly into F1 games you might not want to invest in them each year. Cause from the way it looks F1 2012(one I have)-2014 might not be for me

Might buy 2015 though.

FS7
Which tracks for short/medium career season and which tracks for season challenge?

Medium Season 12 Races
AUS / BHR / CAN / AUT / GBR / DEU / BEL / ITA / RUS / USA / BRA / UAE

Short Season 7 Races
AUS / BHR / CAN / AUT / BEL / ITA / BRA

There is no ERS button (so far?) but there is the DRS system.

Engines sound like 4 stroke dirt bikes, turbos sound like a steaming kettle going off

Dynamic 3D Driving line

G27, So far Ive added 1 degree of deadzone to stop the side to side wandering, worked perfect. Any G27 Configuration settings for advanced settings that were ideal in 2013 to test in 2014?

Last edited:
Ok, for those who have the game one simple question:
Can you select your favorite (any) driver and play the whole championship any anny difficulty, settings you like.
Something like custom championship?

Ok, for those who have the game one simple question:
Can you select your favorite (any) driver and play the whole championship any anny difficulty, settings you like.
Something like custom championship?

Any Season Type, Any Team, Any Driver, Any Difficulty, Any Assist Level from Day 1`

I entered the 12 race season & dont have a choice on location, it follows a schedule.

Medium Season 12 Races

Short Season 7 Races

Shame there's no choice, but not too bad a selection thank goodness! Cheers for the info!

Engines sound like 4 stroke dirt bikes, turbos sound like a steaming kettle going off

:lol: Not too far off real life then! :P

I don't think this is a game I'm willing to rush to order. With no pre-order incentives (unless Racenet has something I'm not aware of) and none of the VIP pass crap they used to have (thank the maker they stopped doing that), Seems like I'll just wait abit.

Medium Season 12 Races

Short Season 7 Races

There is no ERS button (so far?) but there is the DRS system.

Dynamic 3D Driving line

G27, So far Ive added 1 degree of deadzone to stop the side to side wandering, worked perfect. Any G27 Configuration settings for advanced settings that were ideal in 2013 to test in 2014?
The ERS is automatic, you dont need to press any button.

I don't think this is a game I'm willing to rush to order. With no pre-order incentives (unless Racenet has something I'm not aware of) and none of the VIP pass crap they used to have (thank the maker they stopped doing that), Seems like I'll just wait abit.

Wait till you play it, the auto difficulty setting makes the game so muc more enjoyable and the ai is so much more intelligent, masterpiece IMO. Best game of the entire series. Love how people claim to be fans but won't by this instalment and to top it of, havnt even played it yet,just like I said earlier, the sneak clips we saw don't do the game any justice. IMO, graphics and playaublity is awesome.

Last edited:
I didn't say I won't buy this installment, I simply explained I wouldn't pre-order it now that I have no reason to(Pre-order bonuses or the VIP pass, which you could only get for free if you bought the game new). Doesn't mean I won't ever buy it, I just won't be one of the first to rush out and get it.

Does anyone know if this is going to be compatible with the T300 RS on PS3? I was going to wait until 2015 to get my F1 fix on the current gen consoles but I actually really like the 2014 cars and turbocharged engines so if my wheel is compatible I may go ahead and drop the money.

Damn, liked it better in 2013 where I had my boost button. It almost seems like it might kick with DRS, that seems to have nutso boost. The classic content of 2013 is gone, I hope the possibility of a DLC release of it for 2014 exist.

First day impressions are its a must have for all the hard core F1 fans, but the casual F1 guys might like 2013 more.

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to check, I wasn't expecting to be the only guy playing it, but I dont mind helping people make an early decision about buying it.

Everything is pretty much the same as in 2013, menus, load screen tips, and info is much the exact same. The graphics and handling are very little improved, & the cars are 2014 cars love them or hate them, power and handling not all that huge of a difference, but the sounds are worse than GT6 vacuum cleaners, they are like Turbo Lawnmowers. It feels like 2014, is just another mode in 2013.

I like the slanting nose look much better, just feels more "F1" to me, but the front wing is weird looking, overall the cars look great to me. The cars handle great too, superb low end torque, the impacts the aero regs are having on Real World F1 have no impact on me in the game, my only gripe on the new cars is sound related :crazy: and no ERS Boost button it might be connected to the DRS button though, not sure. I am glad I have 2013 already, 2013 had some systems training that 2014 has none of. 2013 is more than 2014 for the casual F1 guys.

IMG_20141014_243904500[1].jpg

Last edited:

Ohh mine if that is true I feel mighty disappointed already, why oh why would Codeis do something like that???

It is NOT automatic on real 2014 F1 cars and you do have the (K)ERS button on 2013 so why would they do something like that, perhaps I´m just silly here and it´s activated on the sharp release version aka: 17 Oct (for EU)?
I really do hope so cause if automatic that will be a mess imho, especially with so much more power via boost button 2014 as well as for a much longer period then the old 7 sec over a lap.

Will confirm come Oct 17 I guess..?

Back