F1: 2014 on PS4/Xbox One/PC

• Thread starter 0zzy
  • 515 comments
Ah sod it to realism, I want my boost button :P

Actually that's what they should do - bring back the arcade mode that we had in the PS1 F1 games. Relaxed handling, high score chasing, music during races, plus a turbo/super-ERS button. Would be great fun. Doubt FOM/FIA would have any problems with it either - after all they let the ridiculous F1 Race Stars happen!

Wait till you play it, the auto difficulty setting makes the game so muc more enjoyable and the ai is so much more intelligent, masterpiece IMO. Best game of the entire series. Love how people claim to be fans but won't by this instalment and to top it of, havnt even played it yet,just like I said earlier, the sneak clips we saw don't do the game any justice. IMO, graphics and playaublity is awesome.

What is this 'auto difficulty' and how does it work? I haven't read about this. I pre-ordered it already though. I know I'm going to buy it eventually, so I might as well.

Well when you start the game, it takes you to a similar event like in the previous f1 games, similar to the young driver test. You do one race or "trial" and it automatically adjusts the difficulty to your skill level. It works a treat, alot more difficult to race another driver as there basically at the same skill level you are, so it makes it quite challenging. I was using Raikkonen at Monaco and had an epic battle with Vettel. You have to defend your position now or they will attempt to pass. Massive improvement IMO.

Well when you start the game, it takes you to a similar event like in the previous f1 games, similar to the young driver test. You do one race or "trial" and it automatically adjusts the difficulty to your skill level. It works a treat, alot more difficult to race another driver as there basically at the same skill level you are, so it makes it quite challenging. I was using Raikkonen at Monaco and had an epic battle with Vettel. You have to defend your position now or they will attempt to pass. Massive improvement IMO.

Its like the test run in shift, it lets you drive then the game adjust the assist and difficulty suggested to your driving. You should be able to adjust it after when you like. Stuff like that I never find accurate. It sounded like the Ai adapted to the user dynamically, but I dont think so anymore

Thanks for info, appreciate that.

Really sad imho why move away from that?

EDIT: Also I agree with Gojira, there is no way a game can make that perfect imo cause the game itself is not intelligent per se, on the other hand I actually don´t know what difficulty setting is available on 2014 for me to fiddle with myself according to my taste so..?
However I should not make claims about the game cause it´s true I have yet to try it out myself and for all I know it could work very well, perfect according to everyone I suspect it will never be though cause we all different and have different demands etc.

Emmcee make it sound like a wast improvement though which I´m very happy to hear, thanks for info! Now I am pumped up cause it sound some massive improvements over previous generations although I will still contact Codemasters and say I want to control it myself, perhaps of enough people do that they might listen and not go the same route for 2015 and future releases? I mean don´t get me wrong I´m sure the game is as good as been told here and perhaps even seam quite "intelligent" but to me it ill never be the same as controlling release of stored energy (ERS) myself, that´s how for example Lewis Hamilton (according to himself) find out where to make the most out that ERS. Sure they do have calculations/simulation to see where it can be put to use the best but in the end of day it´s also a manual process, trial and error (like explained by LH himself) but also put his very own intelligence to use not to mention the fact that where ERS is put to use the best will vary from car to car as well as lap to lap depending on multiple factors such as for ex: Is the driver pushed hard from behind(ok that did not come out quite right, roflol), what I mean is is defending necessary? Do the driver need to overtake being stuck behind another fast driver or perhaps in a massive lead just trying to maximy raw speed at different fuel loads, for example at Kemmel (Spa) you might need almost all of that stored energy at the long hill climb when car is heavy and adjust slightly when at the end of a race when car is lighter? But honestly more then anything I actually want to be in full control myself!

Steam allowed me to install it today but that´s about it have to wait another 2 days before it will allow to play. Soon there guys, soon... :D

Last edited:

Its like the test run in shift, it lets you drive then the game adjust the assist and difficulty suggested to your driving. You should be able to adjust it after when you like. Stuff like that I never find accurate. It sounded like the Ai adapted to the user dynamically, but I dont think so anymore

So it just automatically picks from the usual Expert/Pro/Intermediate/etc. levels? I was hoping more for a slider adjusting kind of thing, because I usually play Legend AI with little to no assists anyway. The thing that kind of turned me off F1 2013 was the difference in AI pace between qualify and race was too small. The AI's fastest lap times were only about 1.5 seconds off their qualifying times, when it should be closer to 3-4 seconds off. It would be nice if the auto difficulty is able to have a sliding adjustability that can be independent between qualify and race.

Thanks for info, appreciate that.

Really sad imho why move away from that?

EDIT: Also I agree with Gojira, there is no way a game can make that perfect imo cause the game itself is not intelligent per se, on the other hand I actually don´t know what difficulty setting is available on 2014 for me to fiddle with myself according to my taste so..?
However I should not make claims about the game cause it´s true I have yet to try it out myself and for all I know it could work very well, perfect according to everyone I suspect it will never be though cause we all different and have different demands etc.

Emmcee make it sound like a wast improvement though which I´m very happy to hear, thanks for info! Now I am pumped up cause it sound some massive improvements over previous generations although I will still contact Codemasters and say I want to control it myself, perhaps of enough people do that they might listen and not go the same route for 2015 and future releases? I mean don´t get me wrong I´m sure the game is as good as been told here and perhaps even seam quite "intelligent" but to me it ill never be the same as controlling release of stored energy (ERS) myself, that´s how for example Lewis Hamilton (according to himself) find out where to make the most out that ERS. Sure they do have calculations/simulation to see where it can be put to use the best but in the end of day it´s also a manual process, trial and error (like explained by LH himself) but also put his very own intelligence to use not to mention the fact that where ERS is put to use the best will vary from car to car as well as lap to lap depending on multiple factors such as for ex: Is the driver pushed hard from behind(ok that did not come out quite right, roflol), what I mean is is defending necessary? Do the driver need to overtake being stuck behind another fast driver or perhaps in a massive lead just trying to maximy raw speed at different fuel loads, for example at Kemmel (Spa) you might need almost all of that stored energy at the long hill climb when car is heavy and adjust slightly when at the end of a race when car is lighter? But honestly more then anything I actually want to be in full control myself!

Steam allowed me to install it today but that´s about it have to wait another 2 days before it will allow to play. Soon there guys, soon... :D

IMO I think it is a massive improvement, so what of you can't control the ers. That's a minor issue that is being made into something big. Don't we all remember formula one games before drs and kers or ers? IMO, a small button doesn't make the decision to buy or not to buy, I think the overall gameplay will help do that, well it did for me.

I don't see anything new about the difficulty set up aside from most wasting time doing the Test Run only to shut off all assist and flick it to Legend mode anyways. Only new to Coddie F1 will use it, but F1 2013 is better for the new to F1, much more for the casual F1 fan. The new 2014 F1 tech is what draws me to 2014 and any new installment, the new tech not being as it is in real F1 is a let down and removes the main reason to get 2014, especially since 2013 has more content with the Classic pack. I hope they fix this in an update, & maybe bring the classic stuff back in a DLC.

I think the drivability and handling, especially on the control pad, is a massive improvement, tyre wear is alot more manageable but still slighty challenging if you have a demanding setup. I work at a simulator place were we run 15k simulators and we run r factor 2. We also have a ps3 sim setup and we ran 2014 and I honestly found it more enjoyable than r factor 2 f1 mods.

I hear you Emmcee and yeah you right I need to play first before speaking about the quality of the game, although I did not speak about that nor did I speak about whether to buy it or not I bought it almost a week ago ready to go in my Steam account and as far as the quality of the games goes I´m really looking forward to the improvements you speak of.

Regarding the tyre wear, tyres should last longer cause that´s what Pirelli changed for 2014 season with different rubber compounds, tyre walls/structure etc hence simulating real life F1 and that´s also why I want the ERS button!
Could automatic DRS also be implemented next, is not the point of the game to simulate driving Formula 1?

At very least they could have given us the option to switch ERS to automatic/manual, I cannot see how it could be a coding issue so don´t quite see the reasoning behind this decision? I can absolutely see how the casual gamer especially if on a pad/stick could benefit from automatic ERS but for us Formula 1 nerds on wheels I wish we could at least have the option should we want it.

Other then that I agree with Gojira, although I buy most F1 games released I was especially looking forward to 2014 cause of the big rule changes providing us with vastly different cars and was looking forward to control much more ERS power for a much longer period of time and have that at my disposal but now I won´t get that option cause the game will do for me? If Codemasters have spend money, resources and time dialing in a auto ERS system I can easily see why wanna use it, if fact I can even see how they would like us to use it if it work as well as described on here (which I do not doubt) and that´s all good I am not against automatic ERS in F1 2014 per se in fact I think it would be a very good add on for those who wish to use it and therefor giving us more options in game. I do however wish they could have provided a manual option for us who want to do it ourselves, auto and manual ERS as well as DRS could be an improvement cause it will give us more options. I do realize we all different with different demands the more options they give us players the better imho. Hope that clear up my stance on this.

Would the license allow Codemasters to provide a manual mode for ERS when it doesn't have one in real life?

I doubt it.

I see your point, personally I'd be happy because KERS and DRS buttons are enough to confuse me on 2013! Not that I'm going to buy 2014, I want to see what they do for next gen and I've barely got my monies worth out of 2013.

Decided to look this up properly and the drivers do have influence over ERS through the overtake button and strat modes:

http://thewptformula.com/2014/03/23/analysis-2014-f1-steering-wheel/

14 indicates the Overtake (OT) button which gives the driver additional performance from both the Internal Combustion Engine and ERS.

Dial 18 has been dubbed as the ‘Strategy Rotary’ by Mercedes. The team have stated that it’s mainly used for the ERS’s harvest and boost settings. This dial will see a lot of use this year as a lot of reliance is placed on the two MGUs that make up the power unit due to the new fuel flow limit.

Although as prisonermonkeys said earlier in the thread, unlike with KERS turning up the wick means you have to compensate and turn it down elsewhere in the race - and CM already has this effect pretty much built in to their games, through the Lean/Standard/Rich fuel maps (I presume that's still there in this years game?). So nothing really has been lost, just simplified.

Sorry for not having read all latest posts, bu does PC version differ from PS3/360?
I have heard PS4/X1 versions will have real improvements unlike old gen versions
They did not mention PC version isn'it?

I think we lost the ability to use driver controlled ESR overtake, DRS can only be used in designated sections of the Track, and nothing says the 2 are combinned. I dont see why its not as described in real life in the game. No reason that makes sense having this aspect at all different. The game also makes no attempts to get you familiar with any rule changes for 2K14 or reason for the ERS boost that was supposed to get more boost for 2K14 getting eighty-six'ed. No user tuning of how the boost is returned at all.

2014 goes so far as to have 5 engines per season, legit tire options, 3 fuel mixtures, DRS, but no mention of ERS... Why?

where is THIS?!?!?!?

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_f1_racing/8763.html

Last edited:
Like mentioned earlier. They don't use a ers button in real life. The ers is running all the time, it has to as the engine capacity is much smaller than 2013. The turbo and ers make up for the engine capacity difference and in turn tries to match the horsepower the got out of the NA v8 engines. We saw that in Singapore this year when Daniel Ricciardo had ers issues. It's not like kers where you still have maximum hp,just missing your boost, it totally hampers the car, making the car loose actual hp not just the extra boost.

Like mentioned earlier. They don't use a ers button in real life. The ers is running all the time, it has to as the engine capacity is much smaller than 2013. The turbo and ers make up for the engine capacity difference and in turn tries to match the horsepower the got out of the NA v8 engines. We saw that in Singapore this year when Daniel Ricciardo had ers issues. It's not like kers where you still have maximum hp,just missing your boost, it totally hampers the car, making the car loose actual hp not just the extra boost.

I understand, but don't see anywhere in F1 it is said that they were not using the boost button system anymore. What is said is the addition of the MGU-H and directly incorporating the MGU-K into the drive line they have doubled the amount of recovered energy that they say gives them more boost for longer duration. If they indeed have switched over to a fully ECU controlled boost system eliminating the driver surplus boost button it would be nice if that was made clear somewhere on the F1 site, but then again advertising 2014 cars are neutered is probably something they want under a rug.

Last edited:
No not really, you can see from the onboard cameras during Grand Prix that they don't use the button, so it's not entirely a secret and yes you said it there, it's incorporated in the driveline so a button isn't used. You would see the difference bigtime if it was still manually activated, especially at Monza. Put it this way, your never going to outbreak yourself due to using kers a tad bit longer than you should've now are you? Lol. Me personally f1 should do away with ers/kers and drs and go back to the wider chassis like 1997 and give them more mechanical grip. There will be more overtaking and they can do away with artificial overtaking and also return back to those screaming v10s.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some serious improvements for me to buy F1 2014 tbh, I'll be fairly busy with The Crew when that's released and I'm picking up Driveclub soon so it's gonna be hard to care about F1 again.

Come on CM, figure stuff out, make this your best one yet!

Whatever you say lol Im just about board of 2014, and feeling to fire up 2013 Classic Content. The only thing I like in 2014 more than 2013 so far is the slant nose look. Graphics are no wow factor different, handling is only slightly improved & less power so easier to drive. RBR is cool, but 80's & 90's cars are cooler. 2013 > 2014. If anybody is expecting much different from 2013 aside from cars etc, warning its not much different at all.

What do people expect in 12 months? Every time one of these games is released I don't think I've seen any positive feedback on any, yet when a new title is released everyone reverts back to the older game, which was seen in the same light as the new one when that was released twelve months earlier. I find it heaps better and thorough enjoying it. Turn the difficulty right up and stuff around with some setups.

What do people expect in 12 months? Every time one of these games is released I don't think I've seen any positive feedback on any, yet when a new title is released everyone reverts back to the older game, which was seen in the same light as the new one when that was released twelve months earlier. I find it heaps better and thorough enjoying it. Turn the difficulty right up and stuff around with some setups.

None of that matters to me, I call it as it is. 2013 > 2014 for the casual F1 fan, 2014 only for the gotta-have-it F1 fans. I don't expect revolutionary improvements from yearly title to yearly title, I think buying each yearly release for the casual fan is as unrealistic as expecting each yearly title to be revolutionary different. I suggest 2013 because it has so much more with not much difference to visuals or physics. It has a lot more value to it especially at last years prices.

I also don't think I need to analyze what buttons a driver is pressing to figure out if there is a ERS boost button or not, that info should be on the F1 web site when explaining the new power units details.

Ive been going back and forth from 2014 to 2013 the last few days and I can tell you its basically 2013 with 2014 cars instead, no classic content, no training, and no more ERS boost. You can be upset people don't get all gaga over slightly improved physics and graphics, but what do you expect lol

Last edited:
Nah your right there. It's only really for die hard fans. But I find it quite unique as the cars are totally different to drive compared to last years and the sound brings a whole new feel to the game. As for price, it was cheaper than 2013 for me, I only paid $59 of the shelf. What I like the most is its really challenging closing a gap. I was 6 secs behind Rosberg and I put in a hard lap to close the gap and got it down to 5.8 as I went over the line. The next lap Rosberg responded to my pace and the gap was up to 6secs again and I found it really hard to catch him, in the end I couldn't and had to settle for third. I could only gain on him when I ran the richer fuel setting, I was understeering a tad to much to be able to fight. And that's the element I Beleive 2014 kicks a$$ at. I find that so enjoying.

Nah your right there. It's only really for die hard fans. But I find it quite unique as the cars are totally different to drive compared to last years and the sound brings a whole new feel to the game.

I hate the 2014 car sounds.The turbo is terrible, It gives me flashbacks to when I was young visiting my Grandmother and she would put on the tea kettle. The engine is tame sounding compared to pretty much everything that came before it.

What I like the most is its really challenging closing a gap. I was 6 secs behind Rosberg and I put in a hard lap to close the gap and got it down to 5.8 as I went over the line. The next lap Rosberg responded to my pace and the gap was up to 6secs again and I found it really hard to catch him, in the end I couldn't and had to settle for third. I could only gain on him when I ran the richer fuel setting, I was understeering a tad to much to be able to fight. And that's the element I Beleive 2014 kicks a$$ at. I find that so enjoying.

Nothing special about AI or the racing in 2014, maxed on Legend with all assist off, its just like 2013. 2014 brings nothing new and all as great as your making it out to be, the cars are just a bit easier to drive and the physics tweak is not much, the most notable difference is no over loss of grip over revving. There is no "auto difficulty setting" as you put it. Its the same as 2013 with a Evaluation Test run to suggest how to adjust the settings to your skill. Like NFS Shift, nothing useful to the die hard F1 guys who will switch to Legend all assist off no matter what it suggest, and the casuals will have a better time with 2013 even with them having to manually adjust the difficulty setting without the 2 min the Evaluation Test Lap takes up.

IMG_20141017_040032608_HDR[1].jpg

Last edited:
2009 - 2013 KERS used 80BHP for maximum 6.7 seconds/lap, 2014- use a integrated ERS system harvesting from 2 units (MGU-K & MGU-H) for 33 seconds/lap so strategic deployment of the ERS is more important then ever and F1 2014 do indeed use a energy harvest/release system with button/switches on wheel to regulate it they just don´t have a single button for maximum boost anymore so yes that is true although they do fiddle around with ERS mappings.
MGU-H (MGU-K is kinetic only) is not only used to recover energy in form of heat but also it´s used in reverse as a electrical motor to spool up the turbo to minimize turbo lag and therefor giving you a advantage, it´s a very very complex system and efficiency is king so they simply have to fiddle around with settings depending on situation, where on track they are atm etc the driver squeeze all they can out of these systems.

Some want the games to be exactly like in real life F1, others do not but I wish they could just simply satisfy us all with more settings. For example there is no TC, break help etc in real life yet it exist in game which is a good thing for those who do not wish to, are new to F1 or simply find it too hard to drive unaided.

So what you guys think about F1 2014 so far then? I heard/read many comments so far but such a wide variety of opinions, me I need a few days before I can make my final verdict don´t wanna speak too soon I guess? Although I do find it to look quite like, well Codemasters F1 series hehe..

I know I'm stoked to pick it up, as I never got the chance to get '13, lost that year to GT6 making sure my game stayed up to speed for GT Academy

I do think though if I had '13, I'd still be waiting to get '14 without question. To have the current roster and RBR is enough to sell me, especially since I paid for the preorder via trade-ins

I'm not gonna say that the graphics are a major revealation but wow, they already seem better then 2013 (which to me is much better then 2012, mostly because the lack of jagged logos on the cars).

Even then, even the intros haven't always been perfect themselves (like 2012, with again its jaggie logos when looking close up).

Back