F1: 2014 on PS4/Xbox One/PC

• Thread starter 0zzy
  • 515 comments
its better than 2013 but not much

Which is fine (aside from fixing bugs and whatnot). If there's anything EA's annual Licensed Sports releases taught me, its never to expect a lot from the next game. Its the 2015 game I'm got somewhat optimistic hopes for (because next-gen) but if the games that have come out so far for both systems are anything to go off of, I may need to tone down my expectations once more.

Which is fine (aside from fixing bugs and whatnot). If there's anything EA's annual Licensed Sports releases taught me, its never to expect a lot from the next game. Its the 2015 game I'm got somewhat optimistic hopes for (because next-gen) but if the games that have come out so far for both systems are anything to go off of, I may need to tone down my expectations once more.

Yeah looks like 2nd gen next gen games will be better. Next gen still too new. I think PD is smart to watch others hit and miss on PS4 before releasing GT7.

I like 2014 cuz Im a nut, when something pegs my interest I gotta have it.

MotoGP 2014 is another one, its decent for PS3, nothing spectacular though. No other Driving/Racing/Riding game on PS3 matches GT6 graphics and physics depth/quality.

That right there is why I'm eager to see the next gen game, it's ridiculous how the environments can look so detailed and then the cars have this lo-fi, unreflective washed out layer over them, it's quite off putting for me.

The one thing I've learnt from sports games is that the yearly release cycle always manages to find an excuse that hinders progress. We've already seen it in the F1 games, eg. 2011 where they focused on building on their platform and didn't add content, and this year they had next gen to work on so no content added here either. With 2015, it's pretty likely they'll be coming out and saying "well we want to make sure we get the foundation right so absolutely nothing will be new abiut this game besides graphics and sounds". And so the cycle of excuses begins again :P

No disrespect to CM it probably is as much as they can do, but it does make the experience a bit frustrating for fans of the series.

This is my first F1 game since the 2011 edition, but being used to the GT6 physics this feels very arcade-ish!
Haven't played that much but can't seem to adjust the wheel settings to anything comparable to GT6.

This is my first F1 game since the 2011 edition, but being used to the GT6 physics this feels very arcade-ish!
Haven't played that much but can't seem to adjust the wheel settings to anything comparable to GT6.

No point trying to get the wheel like GT6, its using 250 ish rotation when GT6 uses 900 degrees. Keep all the advanced settings at zero for realistic steering, but it might be a touch twitchy/hard to go straight, if so I can help with that without completely messing up the steering.

All assist off its pretty good, but the GT6 physics are on another level, the graphics are also no where near as refined as GT6, but the racing element in F1 is what it has that GT6 just doesn't.

Keeping the advanced settings at 0% makes it SUPER twitchy, I would even say undriveable. I've got the linearity (?) set at about 40%, this seems to improve the handling and feel of the car.

Both the AI and the racing itself is way up on GT6, that's the main reason I bought the game. But not having good feedback of the track and cars makes it hard not to fire up GT6 instead of F1...

Keeping the advanced settings at 0% makes it SUPER twitchy, I would even say undriveable. I've got the linearity (?) set at about 40%, this seems to improve the handling and feel of the car.

Both the AI and the racing itself is way up on GT6, that's the main reason I bought the game. But not having good feedback of the track and cars makes it hard not to fire up GT6 instead of F1...

Thats F1, most people wont even be able to get them to drive straight, very twitchy, but once you get the feel for it its the most precise.

WOW 40% the steering linearity steering is lethargic. If you want help to keep it straight and less twitchy, try going from 1 to 2% linearity with 0.25% to 0.50% deadzone. Going up to 40% linearity the steering is way too slow, and while easier to keep straight, making corrections takes too long and require too much input. Cars don't drive correctly and the driver has to adapt to steering that is always slightly behind being much more preemptive and far less precise.

Play with the deadzone inside 0.25% to 0.50% while adjusting the linearity from 1 to 2%. The object is to get your deadzone as low as possible using the linearity setting, but keeping them both as low as possible.

Wait to you try drive one on a 15k simulator, much harder than you think, even to just get the power down without frying your tyres but still get the power quick and precise is a task in itself. Under braking is also very hard as the brakes cool down real quick and you literally have to stamp on them when you reach your braking marking just to put enough heat into them to make you slow down.

Ok Gojira thanks! Will try that tomorrow. I just don't remember 2011 being so twitchy, but guess that I just need to polish up my F1 driving skills LOL

Wait to you try drive one on a 15k simulator, much harder than you think, even to just get the power down without frying your tyres but still get the power quick and precise is a task in itself. Under braking is also very hard as the brakes cool down real quick and you literally have to stamp on them when you reach your braking marking just to put enough heat into them to make you slow down.

I use F1 braking technique and it works well in the game. Different from how I brake in GT6.

F1 I brake late, but stand on the pedal hard and fast and ease out of the brake instead of easing into the brake to quickly releasing the pedal.

Got the game yesterday and did a few races in the evening, have to say the AI is fantastic (especially with different strategies etc.) and the handling is improved (feels much more natural, still feels like a Codemasters game but just that bit better)... am looking forward to getting back on it when I get back from work later today!

The braking feels a bit different now, don't have to use ABS at all and but for a few very minor lockups it feels great. This is the first F1 game I've played that I haven't had to ease myself into by starting with traction control and abs on...

Haven't changed anything on the wheel settings yet (DFGT user) and it feels fine. Might make a few tweaks with some more gametime under my belt but don't feel the need to just yet.

I've driven a couple of races, and I really like the steering improvements. It forces you to be smooth and get the line right, which overall is the fastest way (rather than overdriving the car). Overall though, I am really disappointed that the cars are much easier to drive. As danardif1 said, you don't have to ease yourself into it. I'm used to needing traction control on medium for when the tyres have died, but it is just kills the engine in this one without necessity. I'm on throttle halfway through corners and still taking fast kinks flat, even though a feature of this season has been drivers commentating about the corners that never existed previously. I want to struggle more under power than it does currently, but it only really seems a (very slight) issue when the power is maxed.

Will wait on career, since I'm not sure about fact all teams are available right from the start. Maybe when I get to contract talks the situation will be better. I'd like to pick my own racing number as well, but that is just a very small feature!

I really hoped that they would have a solution to the terrible wheel support, but reading here that they still seem to have the same issues I suffered with in 2012 won't be buying (unless they update)

I really hoped that they would have a solution to the terrible wheel support, but reading here that they still seem to have the same issues I suffered with in 2012 won't be buying (unless they update)

Whats the issue? Steering is fine on both my G27 & DFGT.

On 2012 I feel disconnected from the road, also when driving the wheel moves on screen maybe 5-8% and my t500 picks up nothing at all, I have no problem in any other game and I just find changing the values = different kinds of s#1¥. If the feedback and road feel are there I'm in. But racedepartment's preview confirmed it's much of the same. Maybe it's just not good with T500 can anyone else confirm if they have trouble?

On 2012 I feel disconnected from the road, also when driving the wheel moves on screen maybe 5-8% and my t500 picks up nothing at all, I have no problem in any other game and I just find changing the values = different kinds of s#1¥. If the feedback and road feel are there I'm in. But racedepartment's preview confirmed it's much of the same. Maybe it's just not good with T500 can anyone else confirm if they have trouble?

Your advanced wheel setting are causing you problems. I'm guessing they are not on zero, the higher above zero the settings are the weirder the cars steering will become. Easy fix, set all advanced settings to zero.

Your advanced wheel setting are causing you problems. I'm guessing they are not on zero, the higher above zero the settings are the weirder the cars steering will become. Easy fix, set all advanced settings to zero.
Cheers I'll try it in 2012

Got my copy on Friday and sent it back Saturday.

Really disappointed and I can not justify £35.00 for a "new" game for which it is not and should have been included as a DLC on 2013. I will wait for 2015. I do understand that CM said that this would be a "lite" update and it is required to release a copy under licensing laws but if keeping the same UI and design just sucks!

Sticking to GT6! That game has taken me over and just love it! Still have many cars to look in to too. GT7 still has a lot to live up to and I hope Kaz lives up to what he is saying recently.

I got it yesterday. Didn't have time to play it very much, but yeah, it's pretty much just like F1 2013 with different cars. The car breaks traction much more easily with TCS off, but not easy to lock up the brakes with no ABS.

How you find it in terms of playability compared to 2013? Because for me, I find it much more fun than 2013, don't know why, maybe it's the sound as it creates a whole new aspect of f1 games IMO, after hearing the same cars for years. Don't get me wrong i hate the sound of today's cars but it is what it is and I think the game captured it quite well, but each to there own.

The sound is captured brilliantly, and I really like the new steering model (DS3 user) on it. As I said earlier in the thread though, I don't feel the torque of the engine or the reduction in rear downforce.

How you find it in terms of playability compared to 2013? Because for me, I find it much more fun than 2013, don't know why, maybe it's the sound as it creates a whole new aspect of f1 games IMO, after hearing the same cars for years. Don't get me wrong i hate the sound of today's cars but it is what it is and I think the game captured it quite well, but each to there own.

So far I've only done the lap at Monza and the first scenario. I find that the sense of speed is better. It feels faster. Braking distances are much shorter and more realistic, which is a good improvement because the braking distances in previous games were way too long compared to real life. I was never really into the classic content in 2013 anyway, so that was no big loss for me. So far I think it's a small improvement over 2013. I'm a fan of F1 and the games so I would have bought 2014 anyway, but for a casual gamer that already has 2013 I wouldn't bother.

The sound is captured brilliantly, and I really like the new steering model (DS3 user) on it. As I said earlier in the thread though, I don't feel the torque of the engine or the reduction in rear downforce.

I find the sound utterly awful, I like the new F1 sounds but Codemasters in my opinion have failed to capture it. For me the new steering and dumbed down pad physics ruin the whole game.

Same as I would say... Only driven the Mercedes so far, but the rear wing annoys me in that they couldn't even get the livery looking good on it! The green should be a centred V, but it actually meets somewhere to the right of the DRS pod... And if you can't get a painted livery right then the rest never stood a chance.

What are graphics like for the ps3? I pit in 2012 the other day boy they were horrible after playing ps4 for a long time :P.
That's the number one reason I have yet to even open up my PS4 box yet. I know the second I start diving into some of the games on that new machine all my PS3 games are going to look ugly in comparison.

But to the question at hand. I have the PS3 version. It looks fine. A little better here and there compared to 2013, but nothing I would say "OMG" it's just like GT6! For a dated machine it plays and looks fine. For me I noticed the frame rate "seems" a tad more consistent. There are graphic glitches here and there, but really....Codemasters is not Polyphony and the game is fun enough for me.

Back