F1 2018 Testing ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 112 comments
James Allison... said the tighter packaging of the Merc side pods had given about a quarter of a second in lap time alone.

A statistic without context. Am I in a meeting with my Area Manager again? I'm used to hearing a lot of those. :lol:

I would guess straight away that would mean a long and/or high speed circuit like Spa, Baku or Monza.

Does someone know a good source where I could read about this Mercedes new engine? I heard some people saying it’s supposed to “end the championship before it even starts”.
It's too early for those analyses, the secretive nature of F1 doesn't help either. You have to wait for spy shots or teams' own revelations to know more as the season unfolds.
SkyF1:
Oopps, Hamilton has been pushing too hard. His lap time has been disallowed for breaching track limits at Turn 14.
Ocon's time is ruled out
Ahh. Does that explain why Ocon was able to go quite so fast on that last run?

It's just flashed up on the notifications screen that the Force India breached track limits at Turn Four and Ocon's benchmark has been disallowed
Good to see them continue to enforce track limits.

Last edited:

Seems odd that they have so many cooling problems after saying they will use the configuration of Renault until they gain own data.

Don't worry Fernando, I'm sure the WEC will be kinder then F1..

(I'm sorry, I had to.. )

001-toyota-lemans-2016_0.jpg

I find it hard to believe that STR could be in fact faster than McLaren, but imagine Alonso's radio after STR beats him to Q3 :lol:

adb
17,6 on hypers
But Magnussen... either top teams can easily do a mid to high 16 or they made some real progress

:):):):):):)

And on Supersofts, not Hypers. I think that's the fastest SS tire time so far. I would think that lap put the other midfield teams on notice.

Trying not to read too much into it (testing, after all) but I am getting excited about HAAS potential this year. Hopefully the new streaming service from F1 will be well-implemented and I can watch all the races, finally.

:):):):):):)

And on Supersofts, not Hypers. I think that's the fastest SS tire time so far. I would think that lap put the other midfield teams on notice.

Trying not to read too much into it (testing, after all) but I am getting excited about HAAS potential this year. Hopefully the new streaming service from F1 will be well-implemented and I can watch all the races, finally.
Mid field looking promising so far, hoping for a great season throughout the he grid

Alonso’s curse strikes again... and again and again
Maybe his curse and Toyota’s Le Mans curse will cancel each other out :lol:

Haas setting some quick times again, Ferrari customers looking good so far. Williams' prodigies still unable to beat Kubica's time lol.

Last edited:
Haas setting some quick times again, Ferrari customers looking good so far. Williams' prodigies still unable to beat Kubica's time lol.

...and nice of Mr. Kubica to allow those prodigies some more laps today, as he has voluntarily given up the seat.

Haas was asked why they didn't try a run on the hypersofts. Answer? They didn't bring any!

I'm glad Grosjean was able to post a time nearly as quick as Kmag today, although it was on a stickier tire. I'm wondering how their long run pace is shaping up. Maybe after the test we'll get a more detailed analysis of who did what, and what it might mean.

Well, let's be honest...Ron Dennis did build McLaren but they've done jack squat for the last five years. I don't think even Dennis would be of help right now.

...and nice of Mr. Kubica to allow those prodigies some more laps today, as he has voluntarily given up the seat.

Haas was asked why they didn't try a run on the hypersofts. Answer? They didn't bring any!

I'm glad Grosjean was able to post a time nearly as quick as Kmag today, although it was on a stickier tire. I'm wondering how their long run pace is shaping up. Maybe after the test we'll get a more detailed analysis of who did what, and what it might mean.
Haas has racing blood in its veins, I predicted their success when they announced their plans on how they were going about entering the sport. Thus their quick rise to compete with the middle pack doesn't surprise me, all they have to do this year is keep up with the development race and for their drivers to keep their head down and just race.

PS: I doubt Kubica's decision was purely on his own accord.

Back