Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
So, I'm curious ...

As to how much of your initial character selection influences Shaun's adult appearance. Skin tone definitely carries over; Shaun can be Caucasian or African-American, though I haven't experimented with the Asian, Hispanic or Indian character models, so I don't know if Shaun could appear to be Asian, Hispanic or Indian.

My current character is dark with black hair, my first was light with blonde hair.

Shaun Jr appeared identical in the second playthrough except for black hair.

Shaun Jr appeared identical in the second playthrough except for black hair.
My Shaun looked like one of the pre-made character models, with silver hair and beard. But I didn't really make any changes to Nora's default character, because she's hot.

I got a chance to play for a couple hours on Saturday and I was able to join the BOS. I was immediately given the choice of getting side missions from Haylen and Rhys or telling Danse when I was "ready." I started to cleanse the commonwealth with Rhys (1st was College Station which I had already cleared and now he wants Trinity Tower) and Haylen wants me to get something at Medford Hospital. I assumed I needed to do these before going with Danse or they would not be available later.

My only issue now is that Semper Invicta and Shadow of Steel are stuck as open quests. After clearing ArcJet (Call to Arms) and telling Danse I needed more time on his offer, he told me to return to the Cambridge PD to see him if I changed my mind (Semper Invicta). I never did return though and after clearing Fort Hagen, I was given the Shadow of Steel quest as the BOS Air Force flew in which requested me to listen to AF95 and visit Cambridge PD.

I'm hoping that once I finish the Haylen and Rhys side quests and finally join Danse that both of these will be closed.

I also started to clear the Weston Water Plant and as I arrived, the BOS rolled up in an armored transport and Vertibird. A nice battle ensued between mutants at the plant, the BOS and Synths running in from the woods.

Last edited:
My only issue now is that Semper Invicta and Shadow of Steel are stuck as open quests.
Completing the "Quatermastery" and "Cleansing the Commonwealth" missions should finish "Semper Invicta", but they're rolling quests - you can keep doing them over and over again.

As for "Shadow of Steel", you should be able to finish it once you visit the Prydwen and complete a few tasks to orientate yourself to the Brotherhood. I remember having the same problem because I finished "The Lost Patrol" after "Renuions" but before I did "Shadow of Steel".

I finished up all 1000/1000 achievements over the weekend. Thank you everyone that helped. I posted more detailed info in the Fallout 4 storyline thread.

What an epic game. Truly loved both play throughs and I am looking forward to the DLC. :cheers:

1st Character male level 55. About 6 days of play time. Joined BOH. Killed Railroad and Institute.
2nd Character female level 25. About 18 hours of playtime. Joined Railroad then joined The Institute. Killed Railroad and BOS.

After months of searching, I finally found my final named location (highest number I have seen) with #348 being a radio tower of some type.

On to the Bobbleheads and awaiting the DLC!

After months of searching, I finally found my final named location (highest number I have seen) with #348 being a radio tower of some type.

On to the Bobbleheads and awaiting the DLC!

Congrats! I'm hoping I can squeeze in more play time tonight. I hate reading about the game and then not getting to play later on. :mad:

I'm thinking of clearing out Trinity Tower for Rhys and then making my way towards Medford Hospital for Haylen. I have not been anywhere near the hospital yet so I doubt I will make it all the way. I usually get side tracked very easily in this game because I explore everything I see.

I still have the open quest to visit the Dr. in Goodneighbor with Nick so I could go that route as well. If I remember correctly I am just shy of level 25. I think I will put another point into lock picking to get up to expert. I've seen way too many items lately that I can't open because they are expert or master and Nick says he can't do it either.

Congrats! I'm hoping I can squeeze in more play time tonight. I hate reading about the game and then not getting to play later on. :mad:

I'm thinking of clearing out Trinity Tower for Rhys and then making my way towards Medford Hospital for Haylen. I have not been anywhere near the hospital yet so I doubt I will make it all the way. I usually get side tracked very easily in this game because I explore everything I see.

I still have the open quest to visit the Dr. in Goodneighbor with Nick so I could go that route as well. If I remember correctly I am just shy of level 25. I think I will put another point into lock picking to get up to expert. I've seen way too many items lately that I can't open because they are expert or master and Nick says he can't do it either.

Thanks!! Ever since Fallout 4 came out I have pretty much stopped playing anything else. I don't see this stopping either, especially with the DLC around the corner.

LOL. Me too, even though when on a quest I finish the task at hand and return later.

Lock picking, hacking, intelligence, and charisma are the four focus points for me. Everything else just isn't as important to me...

I got in a solid 2 hours last night and reached level 26. I spent both points on Demolition so my explosives now do 50% more damage and I have the arc to guide my grenade throws. This ended up coming in handy...

I left the Cambridge PD with Nick and headed towards Hangman's Alley to drop off supplies before venturing out. While there, I decided to craft a weapon to take advantage of my over 2,000 rounds of .38 ammo. I have rarely been using pipe weapons (except a .50 cal sniper rifle I found) so my .38 ammo just kept climbing. I already have some decent heavy weapons so I decided to make a sort of submachine gun to take advantage of the surplus ammo. I took a pipe pistol and made it automatic armor piercing with a quick eject drum mag, marksman stock and reflex sights. It is only 27 or so damage but the drum holds 48 rounds and doesn't take long to empty it.

Nick and I left Hangman's Alley and headed towards Trinity Plaza to do Rhys' mission first. Not much going en route except a parking lot full of mongrel dogs near Diamond City. Once inside Trinity Plaza, we dispatched the resident Super Mutants and collected some floral vases for ceramics. The boss Mutant had a high speed shredding mini gun which I made Nick use. This became very appropriate for our next battle when two Vertibirds dropped BOS Knights down near Boston Common. We followed the Knights up an alley towards the Combat Zone and quickly encountered some Raiders and Feral Ghouls on the stairwell of a building. Unfortunately, just as we cleared the stairs and hit the roof, both Vertibirds are somehow shot down right on top of us. The first hit the roof of the hut I was in taking me to about 2% health. After using a stimpak and eating some Deathclaw steak, I turned my attention to some Super Mutants on the ground who decided to join in. With Nick using the mini gun, the remaining Knights and I went for the stairwell to head back down. That's when the second Vertibird is hit; right while I'm stuck between two Knights in power armor on the stairs. Again I get sent down to almost no health and I have to run back up to the roof to sleep on a sleeping bag for an hour.

After clearing the loot from the dead, Nick and I kept our course towards the Combat Zone with the goal of reaching Dr. Amari in Goodneighbor. On the way, we stopped into the Warren Theater. I'm not sure if I missed anything, but you go into the lobby, grab a couple things and then go up an elevator to the actual theater. I didn't see anywhere else to go besides those two areas. Once inside the theater, I tapped VATS which revealed a Synth hiding in the middle of a group of mannequins. One grenade took it out and sent fake heads and limbs everywhere. We collected all the loot and headed back out towards the Combat Zone.

Just prior to reaching the Combat Zone, we encountered some Raiders on the entrance wall to the area. While fighting these enemies, sore Gunners stormed in from our right-side in an alley. After clearing the area, we found the Mass Medical center that the Gunners had occupied. I decided to leave this place alone for now so we went back towards the Combat Zone entrance and cleared the last of the Raiders and some Super Mutants who had holed up in the corner of a broken building. At this point I again decided to leave for the time being because I really wanted to at least discover Goodneighbor before I had to stop playing. A Vertibird flew in over Boston Common which was on our way, so we followed the Knights who got out. They lead us to a parking garage which had a few Raiders inside, one legendary with a snub-nosed .44.

After clearing that area, we lost track of the Knights but I saw that we were close to Goodneighbor. The only issue was a big wooden wall blocking the shortest path to the location. We headed around the wall and eventually out to a fallen highway system. It was hard to see anything from ground level with all the debris so I took Nick up a fire escape to a roof. From the roof, we could see a little better where we had to go but also discovered a door to go inside the Pinnacle Highrise. Once inside, a legendary Gunner with a rocket launcher killed me twice. It was very close quarters so for the third attempt I just chucked grenades until they were gone. After clearing the highrise of Gunners and eventually mutants, we reached the roof which had fallen into the highway system. From the highway, I could clearly see where Goodneighbor was. This was unfortunately where I had to stop but hopefully I can reach the Dr. soon to give him Kellogg's robo-brain. Nick and I are full of supplies so a trip back to Hangman's alley is probably needed first.

I'm learning an awful lot about myself as a person from this.

I've been trying to decide which faction I want to side with, but they all seem a little bit meh.

The one I dislike the least is probably The Institute, but the Brotherhood Of Steel keep giving me free stuff so I think I'll commit to them on the proviso that they continue giving me handouts.

I've been trying to decide which faction I want to side with, but they all seem a little bit meh.
It's hard to judge them externally - you have to join them to figure out who they really are. And you can work for all four at once for quite some time before you're forced to start picking side; the game will warn you when you choices will have a permanent effect on your allegiances. But only the first time it happens.

the Brotherhood Of Steel keep giving me free stuff so I think I'll commit to them on the proviso that they continue giving me handouts.
They're fascists, intolerant of anyone or anything that they deem out of sync with their own beliefs, and demanding fealty from the people of the Commonwealth simply for having shown up. And as a military force, they're hilariously incompetent.

Just acquired my 20th power armor suit. Practically tripping over them in the game with how many there have been. Getting the urge to do a new playthrough because I want to see how differently it plays out if I pick a different faction.

I'm not sure if you guys had seen this, but most of the new survival difficulty changes were leaked and confirmed by Bethesda. They did reply that they were still "messing with it" so some things may change:

Saving
Manual and quick-saving are disabled. To save your game, you'll need to find a bed and sleep for at least an hour.

Combat
Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with "Adrenaline" (see below).

Fast Travel
Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to be somewhere, you'll have to physically travel there.

Weighted Ammo
Bullets and shells now all have a small amount of weight, which varies by caliber. Heavier items such as fusion cores, rockets, and mini-nukes can really drag you down.

Compass
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as enemies will no longer appear on your compass. As well, the distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened.

Adrenaline
Survival automatically grants the Adrenaline perk, which provides a bonus to your damage output. Unlike other perks, the only way to increase your rank of the Adrenaline perk is by getting kills (hostile or otherwise). The higher your Adrenaline rank, the higher the damage bonus. Sleeping for more than an hour, however, will cause your Adrenaline rank to lower. You can check your current Adrenaline rank at any time in the Perks section on the Stat tab in your Pip-Boy.

Wellness
You'll find it difficult to survive without taking proper care of yourself. You must stay hydrated, fed, and rested to remain combat-ready. Going for extended periods of time without food, water, or sleep will begin to adversely affect your health, hurting your SPECIAL stats, adding to your Fatigue (see "Fatigue" below), lowering your immunity (see "Sickness" below), and eventually even dealing physical damage to you.

Fatigue
Fatigue works like radiation but affects your Action Points (AP) rather than your Hit Points (HP). The more Fatigue you've built up, the less AP you'll have for other actions. The amount of Fatigue you've accumulated is displayed in red on your AP bar.

Sickness
A comprised immune system and a few questionable decisions can end up getting you killed. Eating uncooked meat, drinking unpurified water, taking damage from disease-ridden sources, such as ghouls and bugs, or using harmful Chems all put your body at increased risk for various ill effects. When you are afflicted with an illness, a message will appear onscreen. You can view specifics about your current illnesses by navigating to the Status section on your Pip-Boy's Data tab and pressing [RShoulder] to view your active effects.

Antibiotics
Antibiotics, which can be crafted at Chem Stations or purchased from doctors, heal the various effects of sickness.

Bed Types
The type of bed you're sleeping in determines the length of time you are able to stay asleep. A sleeping bag will save your game and may help save your life when you're desperate, but it will never allow for a full night's rest and the benefits that come with it.

Crippled Limbs
Crippled limbs will no longer auto-heal after combat and will remain crippled until healed by a Stimpak.

Carry Weight
Exceeding your carry weight reduces your Endurance and Agility stats and periodically damages your legs and health. Think of your back!

Companions
Companions will no longer automatically get back up if downed during combat and will return home if abandoned without being healed.

Enemy and Loot Repopulation
Locations you've cleared will now repopulate enemies and loot at a significantly slower rate.

Bed Types
The type of bed you're sleeping in determines the length of time you are able to stay asleep. A sleeping bag will save your game and may help save your life when you're desperate, but it will never allow for a full night's rest and the benefits that come with it.
Hopefully you'll be able to take a sleeping bag with you so that if you need it, you can recover.

I'm thinking of the Switchboard mission in Lexington; when you come out of the Slocum's Joe, you're nowhere near a settlement. And the whole area is crawling with raiders, plus behemoths at higher levels.

I just completed the Minutemen quest
All I could think of while progressing with'em, Is how far Preston's head up his own behind
I think I'll start with a new character since I understand the game mechanics a bit more now.

Last edited:
The patch hasn't fixed the issue with the Trouble Brewin' quest since Drinking Buddy refuses to go anywhere.
That's a weird glitch.

Although I had one of my own - I went into Salem to find Barney Rook, but he was dead when I got there. I still got Reba II though.

I find that I don't use anything with a scope. I move around a lot, so aiming with a scope is difficult at best. And the rate of fire is too slow to make VATS viable; you just stand around waiting for the AP gauge to recharge.

The suppressor is to allow me to be far enough away that I can see them but not be detected by them. The explosive rifle, I don't use a scope because it does area of effect damage and is good for crippling or even dismembering limbs.

Lately I've gravitated towards using Pickman's Blade, General Chao's Revenge, or the 2076 World Series Bat depending on how I want to hit things.

I think the only special melee weapon I'm missing is the one in Dunwich Borers that's all the way at the end of the mine tunnel because I've never fully explored that place.

Ok I have a weird problem with the latest patch. When I try to download it, it stalls on "preparing to download... (1%)" for a while, and then gives up with the message "Cannot Download". I've tried retrying it a bunch of times to no avail, and then deleted it and searched for updates manually, but the same thing happened.

The weird part is, while this was happening, Driveclub downloaded an update with no issues, and I've been using the net on my laptop and the PSN without any issues. I googled it and can't find anyone else having this problem, so I'm left scratching my head.

I'm not too fussed right now, as I don't intend on playing it at least in the immediate future (finished it ages ago and did everything I wanted to do, and got bored of it), but it will bother me if and when I do get the itch to play it again...

Ok I have a weird problem with the latest patch. When I try to download it, it stalls on "preparing to download... (1%)" for a while, and then gives up with the message "Cannot Download". I've tried retrying it a bunch of times to no avail, and then deleted it and searched for updates manually, but the same thing happened.

The weird part is, while this was happening, Driveclub downloaded an update with no issues, and I've been using the net on my laptop and the PSN without any issues. I googled it and can't find anyone else having this problem, so I'm left scratching my head.

I'm not too fussed right now, as I don't intend on playing it at least in the immediate future (finished it ages ago and did everything I wanted to do, and got bored of it), but it will bother me if and when I do get the itch to play it again...
When you try to redownload the patch, what reason is it giving for the patch not downloading?

When you try to redownload the patch, what reason is it giving for the patch not downloading?

Literally all it says is "Cannot download". I can either hit retry or "suggested actions", which will give me the usual "check you have an internet connection, check the Playstation Network is working etc.", none of which help.

Literally all it says is "Cannot download". I can either hit retry or "suggested actions", which will give me the usual "check you have an internet connection, check the Playstation Network is working etc.", none of which help.
Strange. It's definitely not a space issue on the HDD considering you got Driveclub updated, which is something I'm not able to do because the system can't check the entire game install, since that's how Driveclub's updating works.

It might be worth deleting the update for Fallout from the download list, and then going to the game icon on the main menu, press the options button and select the "Check for updates" option. It's possible the download got corrupted somehow and needs to be restarted completely new. Failing that, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

I think the only special melee weapon I'm missing is the one in Dunwich Borers that's all the way at the end of the mine tunnel because I've never fully explored that place.
Dunwich Borers is one of the toughest locations in the game. There doesn't seem to be a minimum level required to spawn high-end enemies like charred ghouls.

And the whole thing is very Lovecraftian. I think the game handles it better than the Lorenzo Cabot story because it only gives you fragments of the story. What's going on is obviously weird, but doesn't dive headlong into it. The Cabot story was totally out of step with the rest of the game world.

Back