Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
You are right about the T500RS. TI forgot to insert the word "unlicensed".

I cannot see that our new CSL Elite is double the price than a T500. Please Keep in mind that our entry level starts at a Level where other companies have their high-end model.

We will only follow the rules of Sony and they do not want to have any unlicensed wheels on PS4 anymore. If this will change then we can we are more than happy from our side to make our old wheels compatible like we did before.

The T100 is also supported in every PS4 game, and even Thrustmaster's own website lists it as a PC and PS3 wheel only.

Regardless of where you see your new wheel compared to your competitors', my point stands that your new entry level wheel is more than double the asking price of your competitors'. This will no doubt lose you a bunch of customers that were waiting for a replacement for the Porsche/CSR wheels.

In any case, is it possible for you to negotiate licencing old wheels? I understand the T500 was a proper Playstation wheel last gen, and has all the logos and stuff on it, but the T100 hasn't got all that, it's a generic little piece of junk, and it's somehow still being supported on PS4.

I would like to remind people that for $500-600 you can build a PC capable of playing the vast majority of sim racing titles and avoid all of these compatibility issues. IMO if you already have a FFB wheel and it isn't compatible with the PS4 then maybe it isn't the wheel you should be upgrading, but the device you are plugging it into.

Not to mention the fact that GT Sport has now been delayed until 2017 (we know how this goes... lol). iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, DiRT Rally, pCARS, Automobilista, Race Room, and a bunch of legacy titles are all available, now, on the PC. Of those that are on consoles, the PC versions are unequivocally superior.

We will only follow the rules of Sony and they do not want to have any unlicensed wheels on PS4 anymore. If this will change then we can we are more than happy from our side to make our old wheels compatible like we did before.
So does Fanatec have a signed contract for the PS4 or is it still in negotiations?

The T100 is also supported in every PS4 game, and even Thrustmaster's own website lists it as a PC and PS3 wheel only.

Regardless of where you see your new wheel compared to your competitors', my point stands that your new entry level wheel is more than double the asking price of your competitors'. This will no doubt lose you a bunch of customers that were waiting for a replacement for the Porsche/CSR wheels.

In any case, is it possible for you to negotiate licencing old wheels? I understand the T500 was a proper Playstation wheel last gen, and has all the logos and stuff on it, but the T100 hasn't got all that, it's a generic little piece of junk, and it's somehow still being supported on PS4.
Actually, looks like the T100 isn't supported in AC on PS4: http://www.console.assettocorsa.net/supported-wheels.php
Although it is on F1 2016: http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/08/f1-2016-supported-wheels/

I was going to say that this was potentially a change, but it could just be AC on console not supporting any wheels below 900 degrees.

Actually, looks like the T100 isn't supported in AC on PS4: http://www.console.assettocorsa.net/supported-wheels.php
Although it is on F1 2016: http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/08/f1-2016-supported-wheels/

I was going to say that this was potentially a change, but it could just be AC on console not supporting any wheels below 900 degrees.

It lists the T80 and T100 on that page under "Playstation 4 compatible", but not in the "Playstation 4 supported" list. I reckon they've just not supported them because neither one is a 900dor wheel. The T80 is a fully compatible PS4 wheel, usable in the PS4 menu, so if that's been not supported in game, it's because of the lack of 900dor.

I wonder why they've done that. They're both horrible little pieces of trash the T80 and T100, but if that's all someone can afford ( I can relate, having once owned a DFGT lol), they should be able to use it in game, especially when they're supported in literally every single other racing game on PS4.

FWIW it has been nice seeing the CSWv2 page sticking to the top of the forum :dopey:

I think it's a testament that quite a few people own the CSW VII that want and have been using it on their PS3/4's. It works amazing for those titles that supported it before the licensing clamp down.
The Fanatec CSW VII line is not the least expensive solution, but there are a lot of sim hobbyists on console that don't mind spending good money for a quality, well-thought out product. I personally can never step backwards to use a Logitech. Thrustmaster is an option, but why? I personally think the Fanatec peddles are better and their wheels feel amazing and work. (Yes...some people have issues, but different discussion) Anyway, I hope this support gives Thomas a good vibe that we support his product and hope his product can exist in the Sony Eco System in the near future. =)

I cannot see that our new CSL Elite is double the price than a T500. Please Keep in mind that our entry level starts at a Level where other companies have their high-end model.

Is it possible to add a PS3 mode to the CSL Elite just like the older Fanatec wheels?

Is it possible to add a PS3 mode to the CSL Elite just like the older Fanatec wheels?

Seeing as the new base is brush-less motor driven, i doubt it will work by piggy backing off the logitech g25/27 drivers like the old wheels used to do in PS mode

Edit: but i believe the CSW V2 works on the PS3, its all too confusing

Last edited:
I'll have to search for the link but I do recall Kazunori stated that they were considering enabling legacy wheels (G25/G27) for GT Sport. IIRC it was on the GTPlanet front page.

EDIT: Found it!

“We plan to continue supporting PS3 wheels, but we also launched new wheels and we hope you’ll buy them.”

If I had to make a bet, I would imagine that the wheel will only operate once the game has been launched and you won't be able to control the PS4 menus with it.
We discussed this in a few places. You realise that Kaz' statement wouldn't be incorrect if it actually meant "We will support the T500 (via Thrustmaster's apparent loophole for the GT5/6 official wheel), but all other wheels on the list will be PS4 licensed", thereby making GTS the same as AC, F1 2016, etc...

We discussed this in a few places. You realise that Kaz' statement wouldn't be incorrect if it actually meant "We will support the T500 (via Thrustmaster's apparent loophole for the GT5/6 official wheel), but all other wheels on the list will be PS4 licensed", thereby making GTS the same as AC, F1 2016, etc...

We'll see. There are a lot of G25/27 owners out there. I would venture to say more than all T500RS+current PS4 compatible wheel owners. The competitive aspect of GT Sport won't work very well if the number of wheel users is cut in half (vs GT6)

Would this mean that a licensed Sony wheel that could be mounted to the CSL wheelbase would be enough to appease the Sony licensing agreement?

We'll see. There are a lot of G25/27 owners out there. I would venture to say more than all T500RS+current PS4 compatible wheel owners. The competitive aspect of GT Sport won't work very well if the number of wheel users is cut in half (vs GT6)
The depressing thing is that the lack of GTS release timeframe in 2017 could mean we end up waiting a year for that answer :S

Would this mean that a licensed Sony wheel that could be mounted to the CSL wheelbase would be enough to appease the Sony licensing agreement?

It Looks like the security chip has to be in the base and it will have to be a combination of a wheel base and a steering Wheel with all the necessary buttons and symbols. But nothing is finalized yet so it is too early to discuss all that.

It Looks like the security chip has to be in the base and it will have to be a combination of a wheel base and a steering Wheel with all the necessary buttons and symbols. But nothing is finalized yet so it is too early to discuss all that.
This is a very depressing post. SONY will see no more of my money if they don't allow a PS4 wheel rim to be allowed with my CSW V2.

Thank you for the clarification but it is a shame though. It must be very frustrating for a peripheral manufacturer such as yourselves having to play piggy in the middle.

A base that could accept a licensed wheel for each console would be a very attractive option which would keep all parties happy.

I would like to remind people that for $500-600 you can build a PC capable of playing the vast majority of sim racing titles and avoid all of these compatibility issues. IMO if you already have a FFB wheel and it isn't compatible with the PS4 then maybe it isn't the wheel you should be upgrading, but the device you are plugging it into.

Not to mention the fact that GT Sport has now been delayed until 2017 (we know how this goes... lol). iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, DiRT Rally, pCARS, Automobilista, Race Room, and a bunch of legacy titles are all available, now, on the PC. Of those that are on consoles, the PC versions are unequivocally superior.

This is the second time I've been burned with wheel compatibility on a Microsoft system. Shame on me for buying the wheel and expecting it to work on the new system. I understand that, but I still feel slighted. So I am just going to take my ball and play somewhere else, as they say. With Sony now drawing currency symbol embedded lines in the sand, Me getting a Playstation is now off the table. On top of that, I like most of the games and sims you've listed; and I can live without vehicular Pokemon... So, sure. I'm down for going PC. It sounds like fun.

Not to continue with testimonials on leaving consoles for PC, here is an interesting opinion on the Fanatec CSL wheelbase, CSL-P1 wheel rim and the CSL Elite pedals.

Matt Malone also has an unboxing video too.

In this video he seems to be answering questions during a live stream. It's very candid and informative to watch.

Actually, I've got another issue, my gas somehow has went from the pedal to a button on the wheel but the brake is still the brake pedal. It is like this for all of my games. How do I fix it?

EDIT: Now I am only getting gas and no brake.

Last edited:
Just a small request, anyone here getting Forza Horizon 3 PC and has a Fanatec CSW, could you check if the wheel works in PS3/G25 mode? Thanks!

Just a small request, anyone here getting Forza Horizon 3 PC and has a Fanatec CSW, could you check if the wheel works in PS3/G25 mode? Thanks!
I saw some people did that successfully in Forza 6 Apex, so I would assume the answer will be yes. We'll find out on Friday for sure.

I don't understand German, so I am just guessing at what they are pointing out. Are they saying that the wheel is basically numb to everything but g-forces when the car turns? That appears to be what they are trying to point out.

If so, how much of that is the game and how much of that is the wheel? :edit 2:

I just want to know if this is because of the game, and effects other wheels or if this is strictly a Fanatec CSL problem?

Also, Microsoft's FFB games have been underwhelming in the FFB department. I hope this isn't the case, though.

Last edited:
How bad does the situation have to be for Sony to make developers remove Fanatec compatibility? That's what they made AC do. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Long ago the devs showed Fanatec gear. Yet with the pre-release press events notice these appeared with Thrustmaster. Something happened.

I can see a company like Thrustmaster trying to protect any PS4 license they have with some form of timed exclusivity, espically as they offer various rims and have been the official GT licensee holder as well. Sony perhaps look at potential volume of sales, the brands potential to deliver a quality product quickly in vast quantities and globally. No doubt it is complicated and frustrating for Fanatec too.

For me Fanatec while i have always enjoyed and liked their products they just became too expensive for casual playing. Thrustmaster T500 has had a good lifespan with various wheels at a price point most can live with.

To my knowledge the thrustmaster wheels are not affected. If so i assume that ISRTV would have mentioned it in theire early review.

The CSWv2 with UVHB + CSL are both affected. I drove the demo last night with my CSWv2 and it felt like i was driving with a cheapass wheel like this

racestuur_zonder_kabel_microsoft.png

and not with equipment that costs more than $1000

Comparing reviews of the full game: The Ars Technica review was done on Xbox One with CSWv2 and complained of poor/weak FFB. The guys at Inside Simracing were using Thrustmaster TX on Xbox One and said forces were good, very similar to Apex on the PC.

Not sure if any of those sites have produced an update since the PC review version went up on Tuesday....

Back