Ferrari F10 w/ no aids and hard tires at Suzuka

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr. Boy
  • 67 comments
  • 6,508 views
Messages
676
Messages
ham_vet001
Alonso did a 1:31.352. Can you beat his time?


I did a 1:32.265 which I'm quite proud of. :)
 
I take a couple of years off from f1 mainly because my life got too busy and Alonso drives for Ferrari and Schumacher is back, wow. Back on track (no pun intended) I have yet to procure a f10 but I'll certainly try this once I do. I doubt I'll come anywhere close though since with a ds3 I find all aids off pretty impossible.
 
I only have the 2007 F1 car and sadly they didn't run Suzuka in that year. Did a 1:31.5 on that one, dunno how it compares.
 
Those are soft tyres, theres a green ring..
I've done a 1.30.9xx at suzuka with softs using only ABS 1. I think a 1.29 is possible though with more practice. I only got that time after a few laps or so. The F10 is so stable its unbelievable. :)
 
It's a fun comparison, but you don't seriously think it takes the same driving skill, driving an F1 in real life, and in GT5, right?
 
It's a fun comparison, but you don't seriously think it takes the same driving skill, driving an F1 in real life, and in GT5, right?

GT5 is way way way harder than real life...


Seriously though, it's not that far off, it takes a lot of skill in real life, but to be able to push yourself when you know you could die is harder and that factor isn't in the game which makes it easier but very close to the real thing
 
Yeah, even with the risk of death taken away it takes a lot of mental training to see and deal with that very thin line between breaking a lap record and putting an expensive marvel of engineering into a tire wall. Nobody ever wants to find out what their limits are by crossing them inadvertently.
 
F1Addict is right, he is using softs.

soft in F1 =/= soft in GT5

I think the racing soft in GT5 is so grippy it's like the pirelli qualifiers they used in the late 80's.

I think the racing hard is pretty much grippy enough given you have to really try to spin the rear out of the slow corners.

Bridgestone brings different compounds to different tracks and the "soft" is just a relative term between the compounds on site, they are not necessarily the softest tire they make.
 
It's a fun comparison, but you don't seriously think it takes the same driving skill, driving an F1 in real life, and in GT5, right?
I doubt any of us could beat his time in real life, but it does feel good to beat an F1 drivers time in a game, even though you don't feel the G-Forces and other things going on. GT5 is the closest we can get on a console to realistic F1 driving though.

The fact that i beat his time by 4ths and still feel theres more time to be found shows the the F10 in this game may not be a clear depiction of the actual car, and i'm probably just an above average driver. Or i'm an exceptional driver who has F1 potential. I'm 99.99% sure its the former, not the latter though. ;)
 
the fact that GT5 doesn't have the correct tire data means any comparison is only meaningful for self entertainment, but there's nothing wrong with it, doesn't stop people pitting their ride against the top gear power lap board.

track temperture, rubber build up, and fuel load all play a huge part too, the time can differ by seconds when you consider these.
 
soft in F1 =/= soft in GT5

I think the racing soft in GT5 is so grippy it's like the pirelli qualifiers they used in the late 80's.

I think the racing hard is pretty much grippy enough given you have to really try to spin the rear out of the slow corners.

Bridgestone brings different compounds to different tracks and the "soft" is just a relative term between the compounds on site, they are not necessarily the softest tire they make.
Though Suzuka being a pretty high downforce circuit, i would think that Bridgestone would supply a pretty soft compound tyre. Maybe not as soft as the softs at Monaco, but still pretty soft.

I think its more down to the in-game physics of the F10 though. In the real lap i'm pretty sure 2nd gear was used for Degner 2, and 4th for the Esses, but in the game i could run 3rd/4th in Degner 2, and 6th gear in the Esses. Though it could've been my setup..
 
It's a fun comparison, but you don't seriously think it takes the same driving skill, driving an F1 in real life, and in GT5, right?
There are alot of things in a real F1 car that are missing in GT5. Like the G-forces, the heat of the cockpit, the dozens of switches on the steering wheel, and the risk of injury/death. But all the fundamentals of driving a real race car should be the same in GT5, right? (Assuming PD made an accurate physics/tire model).

soft in F1 =/= soft in GT5

I think the racing soft in GT5 is so grippy it's like the pirelli qualifiers they used in the late 80's.

I think the racing hard is pretty much grippy enough given you have to really try to spin the rear out of the slow corners.

Bridgestone brings different compounds to different tracks and the "soft" is just a relative term between the compounds on site, they are not necessarily the softest tire they make.
This. Also the tires on the F10 in GT5 always have the green stripe no matter which slick tire you use. The GT5 hard tire has enough grip as it is.
 
soft in F1 =/= soft in GT5

I think the racing soft in GT5 is so grippy it's like the pirelli qualifiers they used in the late 80's.

I think the racing hard is pretty much grippy enough given you have to really try to spin the rear out of the slow corners.

Bridgestone brings different compounds to different tracks and the "soft" is just a relative term between the compounds on site, they are not necessarily the softest tire they make.

👍👍

I even think Sport Hards are are good tyre to use on the f10, they produce good real life lap times.

Even the Racing Hards have a lot of grip for the f10.

Think about it, how long would road tyres on your dad/mum's car last on an f1 car?? the compound of f1 tyres is not that soft as they have to withstand such high forces and temperatures.
 
GT5 is way way way harder than real life...


Seriously though, it's not that far off, it takes a lot of skill in real life, but to be able to push yourself when you know you could die is harder and that factor isn't in the game which makes it easier but very close to the real thing

Uh, no... No... it's VERY far off. Just the fact that you don't have to deal with the g-force loads in a video game that you have to deal with in real life make a world of difference.
 
soft in F1 =/= soft in GT5

Damn right.

For example, I tried some power laps (standing start, no aids) on the TGTT yesterday with a Zonda C12`00 with soft sport tires. Eventhough im just average, I could produce a 1:17.141. In reality that car would barely make a 1:22.

Also, just we can produce RL lap times with certain tires it doesn`t mean that those are the most realistic. Remember, Alonso is a F1 driver. We are just some dudes playing a videogame. If we can beat his lap time with sport softs, Im 100% sure he could beat our lap times in gt5.
 
I remember the odd time trial challenge in GT5Prologue with the F2007, the tires were restricted to N1's or N3's (comfort hard or comfort softs). Still stuck to the track like glue though, a lot of fun.

I imagine most of you are also running with ABS=1, where I don't believe ABS is allowed in F1...turn it off :)

I'm looking forward to jumping in the F10 but I'm not even up to the Vettel Challenge yet so I'm a ways off getting my own F1 car in GT5.
 
I remember the odd time trial challenge in GT5Prologue with the F2007, the tires were restricted to N1's or N3's (comfort hard or comfort softs). Still stuck to the track like glue though, a lot of fun.

I imagine most of you are also running with ABS=1, where I don't believe ABS is allowed in F1...turn it off :)

I'm looking forward to jumping in the F10 but I'm not even up to the Vettel Challenge yet so I'm a ways off getting my own F1 car in GT5.

The problem is most of us are using a standard brake pedal system that just applies braking pressure based on how far the pedal is pushed down. Few of us have installed a true hydraulic system that allows you to really feel how hard you are applying the brakes.

This is the reason most of us have ABS set to 1. Sometimes I turn it off just for kicks but this is the one thing I would say is easier in real life than in game simply because it requires you to focus so much on how hard you are pushing the brakes. You can't "feel" how close to lockup you are, you can only apply more and more until you do lock them up and then try to memorize how hard you can push it with each car in each corner and replicate each lap.

I just wish having the ABS on 1 didn't make it so strong... With it set to one you can push the brake pedal down all the way no matter your speed so long as you keep your car relatively straight through the braking zone. The only time you have to watch it is when the braking zone is through a bend. Really sucks a lot of the fun out of slowing down but without it on it tends to be even less fun...
 
Can't believe anyone seriously thinks they could be fast in an F1 car in real life just because they are fast in GT5 or any other F1 sim. After one lap your neck muscles would be destroyed and your head would bounce around like a bobblehead doll just due to the G-forces. Those drivers are finely tuned athletes with personal trainers...and that's not just so they can score chicks. Look at how Richard Hammond did in the Renault F1 car on top gear, and he isn't a particularly bad driver either. He looked and drove like a complete novice, which is how I'd bet any of us would do too.
 
The issue here is not really whether or not we could drive an F1 in real life (we couldn't) but whether or not the Ferrari F1 cars in GT5 behave in a realistic manner (they do not).

I have run laps at Suzuka with both the F1 cars and they just feel ridiculously easy to drive like they are glued to the track. Also it doesn't help that the gear ratios are just plain wrong and you cant adjust them. Im not sure of my exact time in the F2010 but I think it was a low 1:33.xxx after about 10 laps driving. That was using hard tyres and lowered downforce with no aids (ABS on 1).

There was never a feeling that the car was on the limit at all while the sensation of speed was so great I thought I was going too fast for it to be a realistic lap time.

What puzzles me is how close the lap times are to reality when the car behaves in such an unbelievable fashion. Understeer is non existent....oversteer just does not happen ever.......it feels like there are driving aids at work mid corner as it seems to drag you round even if you enter the corner too fast.

I am very disapointed with the F1 cars in GT5. Was this how they were in GT5P???
 
I think it's the tires again, I say the same thing over and over whenever racing tires are in the equation, they feel like bias ply tire with unlimited grip at high slip angle and it makes the car feel numb, you can be really hamfisted and it stays on track, sometimes you even find a little more grip turning deliberately too much. Usually the front instead of following the steering in a razor sharp manner actually requires you to chuck it in a bit, or else the car feels very lazy.

Real racing radials doesn't behave like that, they operate in a much narrower margin, is less liberal with excessive slip angle and have more noticeable drop off, much less elastic but more like a ice skate.

My experience with real life single seater only goes up to formula Renault but from what I gather the fundamental feeling is similiar.
 
So, I approached Ferrari about an F1 sponsorship. I was like "Yeah, I totally pulled a 1:29 on Suzuka in my F10".

They was all like, "Ghost replay or it didn't happen".



Alonso gave me the evil eye...


:sly: :sly: :sly:
 
There's a Ferrari Driving academy for that, just so you know. XD

Massa and Alonso's time on that sim was pretty respectable too, has been beaten quite quickly but for two guys not familiar with sim racing and don't have all day to practice, it's pretty good.
 
Guys, you probably do know that nowadays the F1 guys do more lapping in the Sim(ulator) than they do IRL (much cheaper obviously and testing is hardly allowed in F1 nowadays).

The Sim is of course nothing more than a videogame, just like GT, but more focused (obviously without the A/B Spec, countless menus and Rally tracks :)).
These sims use telemtric date to bring the physics, performance, etc. as close as possible to RL.
However, it's just a videogame, albeit with the above pro features (also in a very nice real cockpit...)

I think if any of the top GT guys, have the luck to sit in this sim cockpit, they are going to be quite competitive. That's the reason the F1 guys were competitive the other way round :)

Surely, IRL there's a lot more involved in driving an F1 car (mostly G forces and real risk), but as somebody said, the fundamentals are the same. Actually, some aspects are much easier I think, since you get much more information and feedback with your *ss, through the pedals and the wheel, etc. In GT5, we are devoid from this feedback and sensations, that definitely help a lot in racing.

Look at GT Academy. The guy did quite well in RL racing, after doing well in GT.

I think it's safe to say that a great GT driver have the potential to be at least good RL driver.
 
Guys, you probably do know that nowadays the F1 guys do more lapping in the Sim(ulator) than they do IRL (much cheaper obviously and testing is hardly allowed in F1 nowadays).

They don't do it to practice their driving though, it's only useful for learning new tracks, doing race simulations and testing for strategic planning.
 
Yes, sure. They use it mostly to learn new tracks, develop "motor memory", memorize braking points, stuff like that. Still, mastering the sim/game and RL racing, needs mostly overlapping set of skills. Of course, many skills are unique to RL (same with GT5, though :)). That was my point.
 
They don't do it to practice their driving though, it's only useful for learning new tracks, doing race simulations and testing for strategic planning.

You know nothing about the simulators used in F1.

It has a reason why teams like Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull can bring so many updates to their cars without RL testing. Believe me, the simulators they use for testing aerodynamical parts are very close to RL.
 
You know nothing about the simulators used in F1.

It has a reason why teams like Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull can bring so many updates to their cars without RL testing. Believe me, the simulators they use for testing aerodynamical parts are very close to RL.

Exactly. The simulators the F1 drivers almost mimic the real life driving feel. Every major team probably has a very advanced simulator mounted on a hydraulic hexapod to simulate pitch, yaw and roll. The simulators F1 teams use are used for testing as well as practice. Schumacher wasn't the most naturally quick driver in his prime, but what made him so successful and consistent was the practice he put in before races in a simulator.

Red Bull's Simulator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OT1QyX6RPg
 
Back