FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Centre II is one of my favourite tracks. It even uses my favourite ToD.

I'd love to do all three races but will do just the first two.

The pit lane at Maggiore is so short that maybe a two-stop is possible? Or three stop even? I'm referring to pulling a Miyazono and ditching the hards early.

Tire wear is so low that a one-stop seems to be best. But depending on your room and where you qualify, who knows, maybe someone can pull off a multi-stopper. I just ran some practice lobbies and I am still totally unsure of what I will do.

I think a test race or two will help determine if I enter the next Manu race. One of two things will happen, it will be awesome racing and a very exciting 30 minutes, or it could be a dumpster fire. :lol:

I'm betting on a very fun and lively 30 minutes of racing.

I mean, the track has two sectors, and sector 2 should be really messy.

Sector 1 has a tight hairpin, so things could even get hairy there as well.

I mean, the track has two sectors, and sector 2 should be really messy.

Sector 1 has a tight hairpin, so things could even get hairy there as well.
The actual races have been fine in the practice lobbies I've done. Qualifying, OTOH, I can see being an absolute nightmare with 20 cars around the track. I've sometimes had to wait like 20 seconds to be able to pull out of the pits, even with fewer than 20 cars in the lobby. You have to simply stop at the end of the pit lane and wait if there's a car coming, or you'll block their line into T1. With 20 cars around a 44 second track, you can have a car coming every couple of seconds and no chance to get out of the pits. And then the twisty bit is a nightmare if people are fuel burning, because the racing line constantly hits both the left and right sides of the track, making it very hard for people burning fuel to keep out of the way. Again, in some places you have to simply stop at the side of the track and wait, as there is no way to proceed without blocking cars approaching from behind. Even if everyone is fuel burning you still have these problems, because different people will have different approaches to getting a "banker" lap in, and will pit at different times. In one lobby, I actually failed to get a proper lap in, because I had to stop and wait for so long that I didn't make it over the line before the 10 mins ran out. I suspect what will actually happen in the FIA races is people won't prioritise avoiding blocking people, and the nightmare will be that you'll constantly be blocked while trying to do a flying lap.

People are just going to have to bank that Initial lap. I keep seeing players leave the pits(I'm usually one of the last to leave), go halfway around and pit to be out of traffic.

Same might work at Centre II. We'll see.

I thought Manufacturers was going to be chaos but with the practice race I had earlier it turned out to be pretty lonely. Made a mistake and fell 2 seconds behind the car in front. The car behind me was also about 2 seconds behind me and it stayed like that for nearly the whole 30 laps :confused: Now I’ve said that it’s going to be demolition derby tomorrow isn’t it :lol:

I think I'm gonna try 12 and 12 on Mediums and 6 on Hards for MFG. I just can't decide which order to do that in. Leaning toward hards at the end, but considering putting them on in the middle stint so I don't have to add fuel on the 1st stop to make it to 24 laps.

With the next FIA rounds due to begin, it is about time I gave a rundown of my second race of the Viper experiment. Apologies for getting this up late; have been fairly busy recently.

Entered the 19:20 Manufacturers meeting with an initial focus on getting a clean qualifying run without crashing. Dropped a wheel at Kesselchen on my out lap while trying to let an Audi pass - not a good start. Followed said Audi and a struggling Porsche on my flying lap while simultaneously getting reeled in by a Volex-liveried GT-R. Put in a time of 8:27.478, good enough for 13th on the grid; the GT-R started 10th. One of the most draining qualifying sessions I can remember.

The race, to put it lightly, could've gone much better. Fell to the back early on as a result of several small incidents and mistakes, including one where I accidentally ran into the back of an Audi after he punted a Renault wide at Hatzenbach. Managed to pull my way back into the midfield through saving fuel and pitting on Lap 2, getting a massive jump when the stop came and went. On fresh Mediums, I felt I had good pace for a decent result, and was on course to challenge the 10th-placed GT-R in the closing stages. Another tiny mistake at Mini Karussell put paid to that, and an attempt to defend 12th from a BMW and Porsche ended with me running out of road at Hohenrain. Following a scrape with the barriers, I was forced to settle for 14th.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20190928201718.png

Not the best Manufacturers meeting I've had, but the damage was not as severe as I initially expected. A score of 629 points seemed lacklustre in comparison to Fuji, but was enough for me to gain two places in the Dodge rankings and secure joint 596th in EMEA. I expected my DR to take a considerable beating, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still at 48K... just!

Next up... Maggiore. An odd layout/category combo, sure, but my fastest Free Practice time shows promise, as does my pace in test lobbies. Fairly hopeful that the next stage of the experiment will bring forward better results, but we'll have to wait and see...

So, I think I may have to switch to Toyota when the new Gr.4 arrives in a couple months.

Edit: Whoops! I get it now.

I started 9th. Finished 7th. Even though I crossed the line in 10th, three cars got penalties at the line, for not using both compounds.

Edit2: Watched the replay. The car ahead of me at the finish, got dropped down to 15th! That's crazy.

Last edited:
I'll probably do 2 stops at Maggiore. Being a controller user with the understeer machine that is the Corvette, I don't see myself being able to save tires. This layout of Maggiore is probably my favorite one, but I'm worried about being severely off pace like I usually am in Gr. 3 at Broad Bean. I also feel like my DR is still artificially elevated from my massive win streak with the F1500T at Brands Hatch a few months back (I haven't played much since then). I'm unnaturally good with that car, so my DR shot up, and since then I've been getting placed with people who are way faster than me in the other Daily races, and FIA races tend to be even more brutal.

This is the 3rd race in a row I stormed out of Manufacturer's Cup race after being severely off the pace. :irked:

Courtesy of @Lion-Face stream, it certainly seems that way. Pretty much all my practice has been in the GT-R (did try the RCZ, which wasn't bad at all to be fair) but I'm sticking with the GT-R.

View attachment 856622
Large oof to this. I tried the GT-R and I just don't like the way it handles. Plus it has the same problem as the Gr.4 version, it eats its front tyres. I had a go at the Ford and it seemed much more controllable, I'm going to give that a shot.

I'll probably do 2 stops at Maggiore. Being a controller user with the understeer machine that is the Corvette, I don't see myself being able to save tires. This layout of Maggiore is probably my favorite one, but I'm worried about being severely off pace like I usually am in Gr. 3 at Broad Bean. I also feel like my DR is still artificially elevated from my massive win streak with the F1500T at Brands Hatch a few months back (I haven't played much since then). I'm unnaturally good with that car, so my DR shot up, and since then I've been getting placed with people who are way faster than me in the other Daily races, and FIA races tend to be even more brutal.
Two stop for me too in the Nissan. I'm much better on medium tyres than hard, and my DR is artificially high at the moment as well.

Large oof to this. I tried the GT-R and I just don't like the way it handles. Plus it has the same problem as the Gr.4 version, it eats its front tyres. I had a go at the Ford and it seemed much more controllable, I'm going to give that a shot.

What torque distribution are you using? When set to 50:50 I found the handling to be pretty comfortable, it does however then eat the front tyres as you say. Will probably run 40:60 for the race.

Is the Focus much better on tyres? If it is I could be tempted into a last minute switch. It's always fun being in a different car to everyone else too :)

This is the 3rd race in a row I stormed out of Manufacturer's Cup race after being severely off the pace. :irked:
I haven't even touched a Manufacturers Cup race in forever precisely for this reason. I'm loyal to the Corvette, but it needs a massive BoP change in its favor. When I first started playing this game, the 'Vette was never THE best car at any track, but it felt like a good "jack-of-all trades" car, and I could still be competitive in it. Now I'm lucky to be at the front of the mid-pack, and I'm usually the only one representing Chevy even in Manufacturer's Cup races. I'm not sure if it was a BoP change for the other cars, or a change in physics made the downsides of the Corvette even worse, but it's made Gr. 3 a complete chore to drive in.

What torque distribution are you using? When set to 50:50 I found the handling to be pretty comfortable, it does however then eat the front tyres as you say. Will probably run 40:60 for the race.

Is the Focus much better on tyres? If it is I could be tempted into a last minute switch. It's always fun being in a different car to everyone else too :)
Started at 40:60 and bumped it up to 30:70 after a few laps when I realised how badly it was doing.

I didn't actually test the Ford, so don't try that on my account. With this and the Gr.3 race a few weeks ago I don't think I'm really a fan of wet racing in GT Sport, it seems like an inordinate amount of effort for little reward.

I haven't even touched a Manufacturers Cup race in forever precisely for this reason. I'm loyal to the Corvette, but it needs a massive BoP change in its favor. When I first started playing this game, the 'Vette was never THE best car at any track, but it felt like a good "jack-of-all trades" car, and I could still be competitive in it. Now I'm lucky to be at the front of the mid-pack, and I'm usually the only one representing Chevy even in Manufacturer's Cup races. I'm not sure if it was a BoP change for the other cars, or a change in physics made the downsides of the Corvette even worse, but it's made Gr. 3 a complete chore to drive in.

I drive the NSXs, for the record. And I can't stand the last two track choices.

Nation qualif was a mess and i've missed the last fast lap for 3 seconds and could not perform any fast lap.
When you start in the back pack it's just seems a battlefield all over the place.
I will skip this race today and also manufacturer . Short track repetitives moves ...... no fun at all , i'll wait for the next events.

Manu with the Nissan looks like a bad idea tonight... Let's give it a try anyway

Edit: qualified 18th out of 19... Door number 3 so many DR points to lose. Up to 11th on the finish line thanks to 2 idiots who banged doors on the last straight (not even in the corner) and a guy who went out of fuel...3 spots gained in the last 10meters of the race :bowdown:

Last edited:
Manu with the Nissan looks like a bad idea tonight... Let's give it a try anyway
How'd you do?

My qualifying was appalling, started 18th. Started on hards and went for 12 laps. I made up quite a few positions in that first stint. I think I was running 7th before my second pitstop, finished the last three or so laps fighting a Ford GT for 11th. Went side by side with him through the chicane and we survived, ended up taking him on the inside at the second last corner. Ended up being bumped up to 9th when two people got a tyre penalty. Quite happy with how it went really, even if I'd qualified better (at least .500 between qualifying and my best race lap) I would probably have been killed at some point anyway.

How'd you do?

My qualifying was appalling, started 18th. Started on hards and went for 12 laps. I made up quite a few positions in that first stint. I think I was running 7th before my second pitstop, finished the last three or so laps fighting a Ford GT for 11th. Went side by side with him through the chicane and we survived, ended up taking him on the inside at the second last corner. Ended up being bumped up to 9th when two people got a tyre penalty. Quite happy with how it went really, even if I'd qualified better (at least .500 between qualifying and my best race lap) I would probably have been killed at some point anyway.
Did 8 laps on hard, then 2*11 laps on medium. Mediums could have lasted 1 or 2 laps more at a good pace. i noticed many drivers struggled with fuel this time. I was quite conservative with my tank

As so often happens, manufacturers could have gone better, could also have gone worse. I'll probably settle for the 1309 points I got. Qualified 2nd, which entailed a bit of luck getting a slipstream behind a car that didn't hold me up. I wanted to switch to hards before the race, but somehow, I've no idea how, it started me with M front, H rear. In the NSX that was an absolute nightmare, as the front end grip outweighed the back end grip and the back end was just sliding all the time, it felt like driving on ice. I decided to pit on lap 6 and go 6-12-12, but with 2 corners to go before reaching the pits, someone rear-ended me, costing me crucial seconds as it sent me into a spin. From getting onto M front and rear, it all went as expected, but I ended up behind a Lexus for about 6 laps at the end, and couldn't get past, it just had enough extra oomph at the start of straights that I couldn't achieve overlap by the braking zone. I'm sure many would have sent it down the inside regardless, but I prioritise clean racing, so finished 0.1 seconds behind the Lexus, in 3rd place. As is often the case, I have routinely gone 10 seconds quicker than that in practice for total race time, I suspect I could have won it if it hadn't started me on the mixed compounds, as I lost about 10 seconds in those 6 laps. But at the same time, the qualifying lap was a bit lucky, and that might not happen again, so it always feels like a risk to go again with reasonable points (at my DR) in the bag.

manu_result_maggiore_cen_ii_gr3_09102019.jpg

Had a go at manufacturers in the Aston.

Qualified badly, race was going meh, was slightly ahead of where I qualified and was only planning to do the one stop so was overtaking two stoppers. Binned it on L20 which cost me 8s and any chance of a midfield finish, then with 4 laps left I noticed I only had 1 lap of fuel (I'd filled it just past the mark on the pit stop). So popped in for a splash and dash, again filled it just past the mark, and again it turned out not to be enough fuel to get to the end. Almost a full lap short for a 3 lap stint! Will have another run later but start on the hards and run them until I can't run anymore, hopefully my fuel calculator will work properly this time!

*Edit. Thinking about it I think it effectively put me on the amount of fuel I'd put in, as if I had an empty tank rather than some left in when I pitted. If it happens again I'll pay closer attention to it and try to work out what went on

Last edited:
I had a reasonably good time on the hard tyres in my middle stint, regularly putting in time 0.4-0.6s slower than my Q-time.

Started 15th, finished 11th, got called an idiot by a guy who ran himself off the track at the uphill left and choose to sweep across the track to the inside for the tight left before the final corner, smashing into me even though I'd given him room to rejoin... the usual.

While I had a good race but can not share it for some reason. I started in 6th and due to someone forgetting about the a certain tire rule change I got 5th place. I think GT Sport must flash up a message at start of race saying "You must change to other tire" to prevent people for forgetting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back