FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gr. 3 at Lago Maggiore - Center II (Manufacturer Series)? Very odd choice. I can already imagine cars getting lapped here.
I normally don't do FIA races, but the next races have my attention. Gr. B at wet RBR also looks interesting, and finally gave me an excuse to make a livery for one of the rally cars. I look forward to practicing in lobbies. :]
I thought it was an odd choice as well. Maybe better suited to Gr. 4?? You're spot on about getting lapped. Did a couple of practice races in the Gr.3 NSX with the AI and was feeling pretty good about myself. So I entered a practice lobby and came in last after getting lapped by a Corvette. Turn 1 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but that was only with 7 of us. I suspect when there's a full grid the story will be quite a bit different.

Perhaps this short track / GR3 cars lapped drivers situations / are just a training for blue flag that almost never happen in GT or when it happen , you can fly through the ghost of the car lapped.
It's possible that the official FIA championship will have longer races and perhaps PD is thinking in the future to take out the ghost behavior for the lapped car who ..... Who knows ?!!

I had a lot of fun racing at Nurb with little or no time to practice any sort of race strategy. :lol: Binned it on the first two timeslots in qualy, but I managed to get a decent lap on the third slot.

Here are some highlights from that race:

(Friend of mine titled the clip, not me) A penalty here costed me a lot of time, but the guy who I was racing with hit the pit entry wall and spun out there at the end of the lap.

As the title says, the last dash on the final straight was pretty much an all or nothing move from me. In the end, fun races were had!

R4 FIA.png

Perhaps this short track / GR3 cars lapped drivers situations / are just a training for blue flag that almost never happen in GT or when it happen , you can fly through the ghost of the car lapped.
It's possible that the official FIA championship will have longer races and perhaps PD is thinking in the future to take out the ghost behavior for the lapped car who ..... Who knows ?!!
I think we actually had that happen already: wet RBR with Gr. 3 cars.

Speaking of wet RBR: First time messing with Gr. B cars in practice lobby for Nations. I refuse to believe that they are this much easier to handle. :lol:

I think we actually had that happen already: wet RBR with Gr. 3 cars.

Speaking of wet RBR: First time messing with Gr. B cars in practice lobby for Nations. I refuse to believe that they are this much easier to handle. :lol:
The good thing is that GR B cars have exactly the same braking points as gr3 under heavy rain. I was ok since my first fap and they are a lot easier been 4wd of course. It's going to be a great race for sure.
Manufacturer i'm not sure. I think i'll skip it. Feeling like a lion in a cage with this combo.

The good thing is that GR B cars have exactly the same braking points as gr3 under heavy rain. I was ok since my first fap and they are a lot easier been 4wd of course. It's going to be a great race for sure.
Manufacturer i'm not sure. I think i'll skip it. Feeling like a lion in a cage with this combo.
I picked up on the braking points along the way... it only took me like 20 attempts to realize that. :lol:

Yeah, I think it's going to be a good Nations race. I had my torque at 45/55 on the RCZ, and it felt great.

Wet RBR on Manu was round 1, and I'm with Aston Martin... yeah that car can't compete. I skipped that round. This next Manufacturer round, I might do it... Not sure yet.

I think a test race or two will help determine if I enter the next Manu race. One of two things will happen, it will be awesome racing and a very exciting 30 minutes, or it could be a dumpster fire. :lol:

I'm betting on a very fun and lively 30 minutes of racing.

I think a test race or two will help determine if I enter the next Manu race. One of two things will happen, it will be awesome racing and a very exciting 30 minutes, or it could be a dumpster fire. :lol:

I'm betting on a very fun and lively 30 minutes of racing.
It could also be a very fun dumpster fire :lol:

Erm... really? :confused:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20190929205441.jpg

And one of the later rounds is Gr.4 at Brands Hatch Indy...? :confused:
Well... interesting choices. I was able to be competitive at Fuji in the Peugeot thanks to it´s amazing straight line speed, but I´m not sure about Brands. I´m pretty confident I´ll be skipping that one! :lol:

I picked up on the braking points along the way... it only took me like 20 attempts to realize that. :lol:

Yeah, I think it's going to be a good Nations race. I had my torque at 45/55 on the RCZ, and it felt great.

Wet RBR on Manu was round 1, and I'm with Aston Martin... yeah that car can't compete. I skipped that round. This next Manufacturer round, I might do it... Not sure yet.

Im looking forward to this, the rain.. with Group B cars! I will be looking to avoid any 1st lap madness, then see what happens. Qualy will be crazy with all the cars on a small track.

Only did Nations on Saturday. Quali P6 in a top split right behind Lester. One of my proudest moments in GT Sport was forcing Lester into a mistake (5:18) and passing him at the final turn on lap 4. Then in the pit stops, I had to take a few liters of fuel thus was jumped. Luckily I saved some hybrid boost and immediately passed Lester again, this time into the first chicane (11:06). I wasn't able to undercut 4th place. Thus I had to hold off Lester breathing down my neck for the next 10 laps and took a well deserved 5th place.

Even if this is only the exhibition series...i have never thought of myself being able to compete with WT guys. I guess I'm getting better at this

Anybody wanna talk strategy for the next MFG race? I know it's not for over a week, but I had some time to run a couple practice races yesterday and WOW, there are a lot of strategy options.

30 laps, must use hard tires, mediums are optional. Fuel is an issue.

I tried 15 laps mediums, 15 laps hards, taking a little bit of fuel. Next I ran 20 laps mediums and 10 hards, fueling a little again. I didn't compare total times but with fuel saving in the picture the lap times pushing on hards aren't too far off of the lap times on mediums when saving fuel.

There's also the option of a 2-stop, I guess if your car eats tires more this might be the right way to go. 10 laps mediums, 10 laps hards, 10 laps mediums. Or maybe 12 & 12 on mediums and 6 on hards.

I'm also torn on fuel saving or pushing to the limit. Refuel time is faster in FIA races then it is in lobby (I think?), so maybe refueling won't cost too much time. Without taking fuel, the pit stop seems to be around 10-11 seconds, so my guess is that's a 7 or 8 second loss, but I could be wrong there.

I love all these options, but it's a bit overwhelming if you don't have much time to practice and get it all sorted out.

Last edited:
Round 3 at Fuji was a slaughter. Losing again like 0.5 secs in the straight, the Mitsuseless is a pain.

I totally missed my braking point in turn 1 lap 1 and I did what almost no one ever does which is send my car towards the outside of the track instead of taking someone out. 16th I think it was after turn 1 but I managed to pull a comeback up to 7th and 1438 pts. Mostly thanks to my pit stop strategy and other peoples mistakes.

Video summary in spanish

Round 4 at the green hell was ok. I am not very fond of this memory test disguised as a racetrack. I qualified 8th which according to my skill was ok.

The race itself was actually quite good and clean. I feared for my life in a few moments but there were no incidents. It was my first online race here so I think I did ok finishing 6th for 1353pts.

I struggle so much in every straight that I feel hopeless whenever someone is in my slipstream.

Summarized race again

Anybody wanna talk strategy for the next MFG race? I know it's not for over a week, but I had some time to run a couple practice races yesterday and WOW, there are a lot of strategy options.

I tried 15 laps mediums, 15 laps hards, taking a little bit of fuel. Next I ran 20 laps mediums and 10 hards, fueling a little again. I didn't compare total times but with fuel saving in the picture the lap times pushing on hards aren't too far off of the lap times on mediums when saving fuel.

There's also the option of a 2-stop, I guess if your car eats tires more this might be the right way to go. 10 laps mediums, 10 laps hards, 10 laps mediums. Or maybe 12 & 12 on mediums and 6 on hards.

I'm also torn on fuel saving or pushing to the limit. Refuel time is faster in FIA races then it is in lobby (I think?), so maybe refueling won't cost too much time. Without taking fuel, the pit stop seems to be around 10-11 seconds, so my guess is that's a 7 or 8 second loss, but I could be wrong there.

I love all these options, but it's a bit overwhelming if you don't have much time to practice and get it all sorted out.

As a controller user with Nissan for the season, I won't be fuel saving or tyre saving of any kind.

more than likely I'll run the hard tyres for the minimum amount of reasonable laps that I can get away with lets just say 6 laps for argument sakes, and then split the rest with two stints on the medium tyres & refuel on the second stop.

I'll take the time loss in the pits to ensure I'm as racey as I can be at all stages, especially considering that usually the FIA races have TONNES of silly mistakes from people you wouldn't expect, so the best way to take advantage is to make sure you're fast at all stages of the race imo, & take the pain in the pits.

but i guess we will see as it gets closer to the event, next week right?

Keep me posted.. I will try and test this as well during the week in a lobby. We are all in this together :cheers:

Quite late with these but no races this week so not much else going on. Did both Nations and Manufacturers last Wednesday.
In nations I had an absolute shocker in quali and struggled to get a rhythm in the race but some nice battles along the way. Very poor result but ah well.

Manufacturers quali wasn't too much better. Started on mediums, pitted early for an undercut which didn't work out and went mediums for the last stint as softs didn't feel great but these mediums didn't feel much better either :lol: Another not so great result but an interesting race anyway.

I had made my only FIAGTC race of this season at round 3 of the Nations Cup. I had started and finished 6th in this event, after which I decided to stop going to any further Nations Cup of Manufacturers Series races from then on. I cited creative differences regarding the length of the races and that I should focus the majority of my time on the online time trials.

Only did Nations on Wednesday and once again managed to botch up qualifying... This time crashing at the Chicane of Death on the outlap of my second run and subsequently running out of time. This particular race seemed to be about keeping it on track and just getting home safely and ended up finishing much higher than I was expecting. Personally, Dragon Trail Seaside is always enjoyable to race and this was no different.

Sorry for the slight bump, but I just wanted to ask; when does the actual season start?

For the 2019 seasons Nations started at the end of March and Manufacturers started in June. I'd expect the 2020 seasons will be similar timing.

Plenty of exhibition seasons to get stuck into between now and then though.

As we're in a mid-season break thought I'd put together a highlights video of the last Nations round. It's less than 5 minutes and was a fairly entertaining race. Highlights cut down to the below:

Start 12th
Lap 1 - Utter carnage that I largely benefit from.
Lap 2 - Slightly less carnage but I get slammed in the chicane giving me damage and ultimately dropping me back down to my start position.
Lap 4 - The driver that slammed into me continues their theme of taking drivers out up ahead.
Lap 9 - Pitting somehow makes me catch up to the person who pitted way ahead of me in 3rd.
Lap 15 - Make a nice pass to take 5th (keeping an eye on the radar was important here).

Just did some testing for the upcoming Gr3 round at Maggiore in the Genesis that tries to kill me when I use 2nd gear...

x15 laps on RH net a best of 45.2xx and lost about 8 tenths over the 15 lap span.
x15 laps on RM net a best of 44.7xx and lost about 7-8 tenths over the 15 lap span.
Fueled to 16 laps during my stop and ended up needing a splash to get me through the last lap, so I may end up taking ~18 during my stop to get me home.

I'll try this strategy first and go from there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back