FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nations combo was again really fun to me. These GrB cars are made to drive on the rain. My qualifying lap was horrendous, which killed any chance of fighting for the win. I was doing low 45s in practices but bottled it. In the race I had a great start and a good battle for second place.

For Manu not much I could do, the Jaguar was absolutely terrible on fuel economy here, which was a huge issue in this combo. Managed a decent qualy lap and tried something different going for a one stop. Don't know if it was the better strat, but the result was good.

Pretty meh and uneventful race in Manufactures for me. Qualified 18th and finished 11th. Gained 10th place because someone didn’t use both compounds. I was thinking about trying again and doing the midnight race but I was too tired. Got 476 points.

But now that 5 rounds have passed, I’m somehow the top Lamborghini driver in North America. I don’t realistically expect to still be in this position by the end, but I’ll hold on to it as long as possible. :lol:

full

Last night marked the third stage of the Viper experiment. Despite early reservations about the Maggiore Centre II layout - still think Gr.3 is better suited for the GP, East and West configurations - I became fairly confident about my pace after setting a Free Practice time five-tenths off the fastest Viper in EMEA. This followed by a string of consistent runs in test lobbies, where it became apparent that with careful steering/throttle inputs and fuel management, the Viper was more than capable of pulling off a one-stop strategy (Mediums to Hards).

Having established a strategy and sense of pace, I entered the 19:20 Manufacturers slot, once again as the sole Dodge representative. Qualifying was going to be tight with 20 cars and not enough room on track, but thankfully there weren't too many traffic issues at my end. Focused on getting as many solid laps in as I could, the fastest of which was a 44.256. Had a better exit out of Turn 1 on my penultimate lap, but could not improve as I got too close to the Renault in front and didn't want to compromise his own run. Still, my fastest flying lap was good enough for me to start 4th; the gap between me and the pole-sitting Z4 (you're not the only one, @xxPinkyKissxx :)) was just 0.038 seconds!

As in practice lobbies, my aim for the race was to make the Mediums hold out for as long as possible, before switching to Hards at the half-way mark. I certainly felt that the Viper had a lot of straight-line speed while still being smooth and composed through corners, although even at this stage I was still unsure about how much fuel I needed to take on to get to the end.

Didn't get off to the best of starts; on the first lap, I missed my braking point at Turn 1 and ran wide, while the aqua Lancer Evo behind me lit up the rears on exit and dropped down the order. Despite this, I held on to my initial position, and was able to get close to the rear of the blue and green GT-R in front as he appeared to struggle out of the corners. Moved to the outside on the start of Lap 3 to try and get a cutback on said GT-R; as we round the first corner, I receive a bump from the a blue, black and orange Hyundai behind, which is enough to push me into the GT-R and for the Hyundai to send me into a slide with another tap. This sent me down to 7th, and at the mercy of another tap on the high-speed S's, this time from a Supra. Wasn't really happy with that move, especially more so since the same Hyundai also tapped me going into the penultimate turn a few moments earlier. Nevertheless, I catch up to the group fighting for 3rd, trying my best to keep close while not compromising my own pace and strategy. Kept it fairly clean for this stage of the race, and by Lap 11 began challenging the Peugeot up front for 5th. However, despite multiple attempts, I wasn't able to pass without risking a collision, at which point a WipEout-branded Corvette shows up and begins pressuring me for what would become 4th once again. On fresher Hards, the Corvette gained a lot of ground through corners and kept flashing his lights in my direction; still, I held on until Lap 15, where I took on Hards and came out with 82% fuel.

The idea behind taking on this much fuel was that it would enable me to push flat out on the second stint without having to worry about running empty. In practice, I found that this was more beneficial than taking less fuel and losing time on leaner mixes, but the pace of others who took on Mediums - including a Calsonic GT-R and the AG Systems/Feisar/whatever Corvette from earlier - made place gains difficult. By Lap 22, I was down in 8th, having relinquished places to both of these cars since the start of the stint. It was frustrating not to be in touch with the leaders any more, and I wondered during whether it would've been worth taking on slightly less fuel. But still, I kept the Viper going. With two laps left, I got close to three cars up ahead - the Corvette and both GT-Rs - and inherited 6th as both of the Medium-shod runners pulled in for their last stops. Crossed the line with 8% fuel remaining, for a score of 1,470 points; meanwhile, the pole-sitting Z4 finished third.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191009200342.png

All in all, while I was disappointed to lose out on a potential podium finish, the Viper GT3-R is turning out to be just as satisfying to drive as its Gr.4 counterpart. The straight-line speed alone is enough for me to make gains on even the leading contenders. Boosted my DR rating by just over 700 points with this race, and currently sit 299th in EMEA. Even with the blip at the Nürburgring, I'm glad to report that the Viper experiment is so far producing consistent and competitive results.

Nations.

Romped up in am NSX amongst 19 gtrs and put it third on the grid with a 1.45.5. Kept position at start but little trippy taps by drivers behind who cant judge slipstream ment i dropped to 5th by time pitted on lap 7

It's so annoying, you watch back the replay and you can clearly see they are going to hit you (so I assume they must realise it at time as well)but do they try and avoid by turning out off it??? Never, just plough into back of you and carry on regardless. A Belgian driver bumped me into the downhill braking zone putting me wide and then took the position whilst putting hazards on in apology.....yeah apology not accepted!!!!

Anyways 5th after pitstop and stuck behind a GTR for 4 laps without contact. I eventually retook 4th when a gtr dived down my inside at turn 3 missed me completely and wiped out car in front.

Took 4th and 2000 points but ultimately disappointed as I think the win was possible but all the little bumps in early laps were too costly and mired me amongst slower cars.

My first proper attempt at a race this season and I must say I absolutely love these long races. My first attempt was Fuji but it was an SR recovery race so it was a weird lobby with skill levels from A+ to people who just got the game.

But this one, a properly matched lobby, was incredible. Consistency really pays off. As someone who is not the fastest in a lap but can be very consistent it's nice to be rewarded. I qualified 10th with a lap that was within a few 10ths of my best practice lap, even if I hit that target I'd only have been 8th. Did a 1 stop strategy, 15 laps hard, 15 medium. I had a great race with someone ahead of me where we followed each other for the first 15 laps making our way up the field. After the pits I picked up a 4 second penalty for punting someone slightly, I was so used to being in sync with the last guy I was following as soon as I ended up behind someone else with a much earlier braking point I hit him T1 and sent him to the wall. :( he passed me as I served my penalty so it wasn't so bad.

I fought my way back up the field, regained the two positions I lost from the penalty and towards then end of the race a few more positions from people jumping into the pits either working a 2 stop strategy or caught out by the fuel diamond being slightly off in this race. I was in 6th with a big gap between anyone in front of me but p4 and p5 pit on lap 28 or 29 I assume for sure caught out by the fuel diamond, I got very close and without my 4 sec penalty probably would have had p4, I ended up P5 thanks to the guy ahead not using both compounds.

Great fun, looking forward to the next one.

Nations
Entered a lobby of 18 GT-R's (myself included) 1 WRX and 1 Toyota 86. Managed a stonking qualifying lap right at the end of the session to start P4, that I was gobsmacked about. I only did a limited amount of lobby practice for this one and it somehow completely passed me by that it was a grid start. I hadn't practised this at all! Set TC to 3 and torque to 50:50 (that helps right?), got a good start and then had to put all settings back, change back to radar just in time for T1. It turn out that the decent qualifying was crucial as it looked to be pretty chaotic behind me. Kept it clean but did lack some race pace. Finished 5th just behind 2nd to 4th. Very happy :) Random story of a Spaniard qualifying last, 11 seconds off the pace, and went on to finish 3rd :confused: I'm guessing they are an alien who started last on purpose to make for an interesting race...

View attachment 856746 View attachment 856747

Manufacturers
I don't really want to talk about the Manufacturers Series anymore. Lets just say I'm happy I only picked Ferrari for an exhibition season. I do not have the needed skills for the Gr.3 458. Actually did a decent qualifying lap and was less than 4 tenths off pole. That put me in P18 :lol: The main positive from the race was not getting lapped.

View attachment 856748
I chose for Ferrari for the last Manu season. Although the Gr.3 car has decent qualifying pace, it becomes undriveable once tire wear starts kicking in. I think it needs to be driven a certain way for it to be bearable once the tires have lost 1/4 of their life, it needs to be downshifted late into corners in order for keep the rear of the car from stepping out. I kid you not, during the last high tire-wear FIA season, 3/4 of the way through the race it became a challenge just to keep the car on the track... With 2-stop strategies now being viable in the current FIA season, I figure it shouldn't be as bad anymore but maybe I'm wrong.

The Gr.4 car is pretty good, all of your points basically have to come from Gr.4 races.

Sorry I haven't reported so far but I have had a pretty "meh" forgettable set of races so far.

My standings at the moment in Nations Cup are 3rd for Dundee area, 704th in the domestic ranks and 4946th with 306 points in
the first 5 races which I consider is not bad considering I am focusing on improving my consistency.

For manufacturers I am 1st for the Dundee City area representing Toyota with 275 points and I have rank 201 in the Toyota drivers and 5469th in regional rankings which considering I think there are more players driving the manufacturers races these are not bad results.

I do have a question though because i have fallen foul of it three times and only finally "clicked " last night but when did the Tyre Compound
rule come into play and was it "officially" mentioned?

I've had three races with 20 seconds of penalty so far out of 8 races altogether and I couldn't figure out why until yesterday when a
friend fell foul and we saw the tyre compound "requirements" on the bottom right of the screen...

Sorry I haven't reported so far but I have had a pretty "meh" forgettable set of races so far.

My standings at the moment in Nations Cup are 3rd for Dundee area, 704th in the domestic ranks and 4946th with 306 points in
the first 5 races which I consider is not bad considering I am focusing on improving my consistency.

For manufacturers I am 1st for the Dundee City area representing Toyota with 275 points and I have rank 201 in the Toyota drivers and 5469th in regional rankings which considering I think there are more players driving the manufacturers races these are not bad results.

I do have a question though because i have fallen foul of it three times and only finally "clicked " last night but when did the Tyre Compound
rule come into play and was it "officially" mentioned?

I've had three races with 20 seconds of penalty so far out of 8 races altogether and I couldn't figure out why until yesterday when a
friend fell foul and we saw the tyre compound "requirements" on the bottom right of the screen...

The tyre requirement rule came into effect at the start of this season; it was mentioned in the opening announcements for Nations and Manufacturers, but seems like it has not been clearly communicated in the game itself. In future, your best bet is to check the round pages on the official website; 'Tyre Requirements' should be listed in the 'Pit Info' section along with any specific compounds that are being used.

Well done on your ranks so far; best of luck for the remainder of the season(s)!

Well looks like the next manufacturer's will be fun in the Aston. Lose half a second to Fords and Jags before the first corner and the track is damp to boot!!

Was only able to do Nations last night. Qualifying was pretty ok, lap time was better than I was expecting but I also made a mistake on the last corner so probably could've nabbed a couple more positions. Was about to gain a couple of positions at the top of the hill at the start but got a little tap which didn't seem like much but ended up losing a couple of positions. But the main thing was that I survived the start. Unfortunately after that I didn't drive so well, mistakes and penalties here and there meant I ended up a few positions lower than I should've been but it was a useful race regardless and a result I probably would've taken before quali.

So Round 5 in Manufacturers in lago magiore center inverted. I was not expecting to do well in the mitsubishi. To be honest I thought I was going to get absolutely murdered with so many straights. This wasn't the case. I managed a 0.44.271 in qualy which was enough for 7th. The times were very close.

Race summary with comments in spanish as usual

The race itself was one of my best races ever. Had problems with the fuel, I was a lap short of fuel and had to fuel save like crazy in the last couple of laps. I was really lucky that a lot of cars were involved in accidents and that delayed them. In the end i finished 3rd by a margin of 0.009. 1976 points great result for the Mitsuslow. I even got a clean race bonus.

I have a question. For the Nations race, Medium and Soft tires are required. If I were to have both tires on my car at once (example: medium front, soft rear), which tire requirement would that satisfy? :confused:

So I hadn't touched RBR in a week until last night, I wish I would of practiced more. Couldn't get near the 1.45.2 I set last week and paid the price.
Awful qualy (binned it first quick lap and had to let the pack past) put me 12th.
Forgot it was a standard start and had to deal with that, upsides where still nailed 4 people of the lights and stayed with the pack until an unforced error put me closer to the chase pack.. kept my head down and eventually finished 8th.. not pad with 30 mins practice prior to the race.
I don't see myself doing Suzuka though, that looks a tad wild (judging by previous races in the Formula car)

Y i think the same i´m in doubt about enter suzuka race, i did some pratice and after 10m i whent to a lobby and it´s a blast when the race settles but i predict a nightmare in first lap for shure half of the racers will end up crashing and bump each other, i´m just worried about my SR but i think i will eventually give up on the fear and race cause the fast pace and concentration needed it´s addicting and fun has hell.

I think PD could put formula in a more easy track to begin with, easier i meant wider track but susuka it´s fun to drive in that car but it´s a paradise to incidents that´s not doubt about it.

Thanks for the replies yesterday!

Quite confident for tomorrow's races at Tokyo Expresway in the rain and Suzuka since they are two of my favourite tracks and I've much more
practice experience on Tokyo rain condition that RBR but as ever shall have to see how I actually do in the race itself!

A look at strategy for tomorrow's manu race at tokyo in the rain.

Quite a different kettle of fish to last weeks daily

Hopefully some useful info in there for folk

I've tested the R8 yesterday and I'm even considering two-stopping. The rear tires die out quickly, especially because of brake bias moved (just a bit) more towards the rear.

A one-stop may be the fastest way to get to the finish line, but I'm debating whether I can actually make it with just 1 stop without binning it.

I've tested the R8 yesterday and I'm even considering two-stopping. The rear tires die out quickly, especially because of brake bias moved (just a bit) more towards the rear.

A one-stop may be the fastest way to get to the finish line, but I'm debating whether I can actually make it with just 1 stop without binning it.

I dont envy using the Audi R8 round this track/combo. Slow on the straight, poor on fuel and like a bag of snakes once the rear tyres go!!

I think a lot of Audi drivers will give it a miss.

P.s I'd put the brake balance to -5 to help the wear on the rear tyres.

I dont envy using the Audi R8 round this track/combo. Slow on the straight, poor on fuel and like a bag of snakes once the rear tyres go!!

-5 Brake Balance for the Porsche? Thanks for your video Mate!

So for the Manufacturers Series race for this next Wednesday, at Dragon Trail Seaside II in Gr.4 cars: is anyone planning on attempting a no-stop? I'm pretty sure I could manage the fuel, at least. As for the tires, I'm pretty sure I'll go for qualifying on the Softs, then switch to Hards in the settings menu, before the actual race beings.

Could I get away with just beginning on hards and not changing, or did I have to use all compounds?

I had already decided to skip it, did some laps and now I’m reconsidering.

-5 is the mandatory setting for the R8, it’s like driving on soap once the rear die out, and they don’t take too long to go.

My run at Suzuka

Mustang pushes thru, at the underpass, on the last lap and I get 4 seconds for it bumping me into the wall. Went from 7th to 9th. Oh well, both races finished top 10. I'm fine with that.
EGqvaAmVUAIvhOy

PSA for those attempting a 1 stop at Suzuka, there seems to be a bug with the tyre penalty system. I started on Soft for 8 laps then Medium 10, and still got a +20 second penalty to add insult to the wrong strategy. Everyone else in my room did a 2 stop so I can't check if this is an isolated case or not (another guy got a penalty but he forgot to use Meds completely).

Last Manu race at Maggiore Centre I did the same strategy with only 1 stop, but didn't get a penalty (and before you ask, yes my notes also say both compounds are required for that race).

Weird.

At least Manu race I got 3rd with 1500 points. GO PUG POWER!!!!!

Finished P5 in Nations, I thought the points for that race were pretty average considering the quality of drivers in it.

Finished P4 in a surprisingly stacked (2600 point) Manufacturer race for Oceania given it is an exhibition season. You need to stay in the draft of the leading pack, keep it off the wall and hope that your chances aren't scuppered by any loose cannons. The last part is probably the most important around here.

My run at Suzuka

Suzuka first stop at lap 1 don't seems to be a good option , you've stayed blocked during a long time after this .....
How can you have a lateral view at 18:28 driving with roof cam ? I drive this way but lateral view is locked for me , only with bumper and cockpit cam ?

Does anyone have any tips for getting the SF19 round the hairpin after the bridge at Suzuka with a DS4? I'm getting flashbacks to the X2010, but at least then I had Skid Recovery Force to cheat my way round.

How can you have a lateral view at 18:28 driving with roof cam ? I drive this way but lateral view is locked for me , only with bumper and cockpit cam ?

I'm assuming you use a wheel, but I have Camera Control mapped to the right stick on the DS4 and that does it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back