FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my best trying to race the 2 first nation slots but power outage have disconected me two times in a row just before the race. After 9pm no way to drive anything else for the night. Time to eat and drink a lot. Nice initiative from the city where i live tonight , fireworks were only visuals this time. No huge bambambam sounds. Pets are saying thank you for sure. This was great.
Happy new year everybody.

Just watched the replay from my race. Dropped from P8 to P12 in the first few laps as everyone around me was on RS. It was nice to be able to start picking them off one at a time as their tires wore out. Kind of wish the race was 3-4 laps longer, I may have finished ~P4.

A little snap from the replay. Loving this livery, really pops out there on track.

7278394244139581960_0.jpg

Somehow got 5th after a botched qualifying session. Was also fighting fatigue during the race (I was kinda struggling to keep my eyes open, but I managed). Also I still somehow managed a one-stopper with RS tires twice without spinning out and dying of death.

ENLTYNHUcAAG7M7.png

They're toast in like 3 laps for me. Definitely no-go.
I got p3 from qual and was dicking around in the chat after, forgot to change to medium before the race. Started on RS, pitted on L4 or 5 I think, put hards on expecting to stay out til the end. Hards started wearing out after a few laps and felt real slow. The guy behind had made up almost 5 sec on me, and the guy in front was miles away. So pitted for softs and put 8 sec into the guy behind by the end. Prob won't do another one tonight as I got p3 and it's unlikely ill beat that. But was great fun. I've barely even raced on Suzuka until today.

Sorry for the essay.

The thing that irks me about this game is that you get players that are fast enough to easily qualify for GT finals who can't race properly because they are frankly, unhinged.

Look at 40:25 in this video and you will see an example of why the top split in Oceania is acrimonious and has more crashes than it should.

Note: Language warning.

Note the initial contact and subsequent punt was on a qualifying outlap.

Last edited:
The thing that irks me about this game is that you get players that are fast enough to easily qualify for GT finals but can't race properly because they are frankly, unhinged.

Look at 40:25 in this video and you will see an example of why the top split in Oceania is acrimonious and has more crashes than it should.

Note: Language warning.

Note the initial contact and subsequent punt was on a qualifying outlap.

How do you know the split?

The top split will typically have the people who will be leading the championships in your region, have the whole grid full of S:S drivers, and several GT world tour finalists.
Ah I thought there was some way to look it up somewhere, I'm sure I've seen the big youtubers saying they are in the first, second etc split...

Did the Manu just then. Suzuka isn't a favorite like it used to be.

For some reason five of the fastest players quit. Watched the replay and look like they were having a hard time. Anyway, at the start I gave too much room when passing a car that was on RH. I trip on grass and ruin my tyres. Pit lap 1,just exited last and kept pitting every 3rd lap. Finished 11th.

I did a for me, quick 1:59 practice lap.

But this is on softs.. but with 11 times wear, 3 laps is going to be 33 laps or in other words, a 121 lap race. even with hards you should expect to pit at least 2 times in a real race..

I better go practice on the hards :-/

Ah I thought there was some way to look it up somewhere, I'm sure I've seen the big youtubers saying they are in the first, second etc split...
If there is a 75k driver in there, it's top split, I'm not aware there has ever been an instance of more than 20 75k drivers entering the same race, pushing one or more of them down to 2nd split. For splits below top split, people are mainly making educated guesses based on experience of seeing what DR ranges are in lower splits from youtube streams/videos, and points scored by people in their friends list. There are also known DR tankers who are really 75k standard, but they lower their DR to try to finish very high up in 2nd split. If you have one of those people in your race, but don't have the top people in there as well, you know you're almost certainly in 2nd split.

So first race of 2020 and it turned out badly....for quali. Lots of guys slow down on purpose and I started in P17 because of that.

At that point I wanted top 10 finish instead and I managed to get it by starting from P17 to P8. And I also learn that the SLS has bad tire wear even with mediums and in the last stages of the race my defensive driving was put to the test with a guy behind me having fresher tires and more current Mercedes Gr.3 car. In the end the defensive driving paid off and alas P8.

Overall this race is such a nightmare for my SLS although I don't regret choosing that over the more current Merc Gr.3 car the AMG GT3.

Looking forward to racing in the next rounds.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

I followed the herd and went with the Lexus for last night's Nations race, I made some dumb mistakes on both my quali laps and wound up 15th on the grid, 4 secs off the pace. I decided to play the long game and started on Hards...only to totally forget the fuel multiplier and burn nearly 40 litres in the opening couple of laps before getting my consumption under control. I picked off the cars ahead as they ditched their shredded Softs around L4/5, even crossing the line in 1st to begin L7 thanks to everyone ahead pitting. I pitted for Softs and a hefty top-up at the end of that lap, dropping to P12, but the tyre advantage helped me pull off some easy overtakes, not to mention a French and Belgian contretemps right ahead of me at Pouhon. I brought it home in P6 for 110pts and c.1000DR, just a car length behind the German ahead, but unfortunately not close enough to the leader who thought a S/S/S strategy would give him enough of a gap to make his penalty worthless.

Bit of a disappointing result as despite good pace and making some moves looking like a top 5 finish was on the cards was screwed over by a German in an Alfa giving me a 4 then a 5 second penalty deliberately on 2 occasions and a Spaniard on a lexus punting me if as went for the overtake despite being faster and on better tyres. Couple of little mistakes on my part and it was a race of what could have been.

Manufacturers 4pm Slot
Qualifying plan was fuel burning lap, change tyres, fuel burning lap and then a flying lap. With only 5 mins you can't hang around too much on the fuel burning laps but it worked in practice lobbies. Anyway, spin myself in turn 1 after pitting and fail to get to the line before the 5 minutes is up :lol:

The 5 minute qualifying session is certainly more chaotic and the tyre wear really doesn't help. You essentially get a single flying lap to make it stick. After that tyres aren't up to another fast lap.

Started last and finished 14th. Could have been a little higher but I was overdriving the car trying to make up time which is just doesn't work at Suzuka.

Will try another slot later :)

I've just finished my suzuka gr3 manufacturer race on my EU account.
My new Renault Rs1 is a very good car and i'm happy with my choice.
The car need a very different driving style than most of the others i've driven before.
- superior grip
- poor top speed.
- even with brake balance at -5 you will waste rear tyres if too agressive.
I did a 2 stop on soft /soft/soft. 3x4 laps
I was a lot faster in turns but unable to pass without contact with others. So i stick to them to have stream for top speed gain and save tyres.
Most of the time , the car in front with less tyres was doing a mistake during the lap 4 of each run and i was ready to overtake in the gap.
It was very good. No place for been agressive with thi car. I love it. Learning a new way to race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back