FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know of anybody competing outside of their own region who is good enough to beat the people in that region who are good enough to qualify for a live event?

in other words, are your concerns realistic at all or do you just want a reason to get upset with people for not following the rules that PD doesn't even enforce themselves?

Praino is good enough to be A+, and if he’s in lobbies with you he’s good enough to affect who the top drivers/scorers for the manufacturers are. Over time there’s been a few other non-GTP members in the top splits but they’ve come and gone, and usually they stop doing it if there’s a spot at the world tour or finals on the line.

Praino is good enough to be A+, and if he’s in lobbies with you he’s good enough to affect who the top drivers/scorers for the manufacturers are. Over time there’s been a few other non-GTP members in the top splits but they’ve come and gone, and usually they stop doing it if there’s a spot at the world tour or finals on the line.

let's put this in perspective. you and I have been in some of the same lobbies recently, as I'm usually in 2nd split for Nations and 2nd or 3rd split for MFG, depending on the time slots.

I've raced with Praiano many times in top splits and 2nd/3rd splits. I've never seen him win one, although he probably has won a lower-ranked top split before...as have I.

I am nowhere near good enough to make it to a live event. The gap between the bottom of A+ and the top of A+ is the biggest gap in the game within the same DR rank. that's 25000 points! Those guys at the top are like 1-2 seconds faster than us in most cases. we really shouldn't be in the same lobby, but there are so few A+ drivers in NA region that that's just how it goes.

Of all the guys in the top split lobbies, those that regularly and almost always place in the top 5 are the only ones good enough to go to a live event. when you include the MFG's cup, that number expands a little bit based on favorable track/car combos, but not much. On top of that, NA drivers are some of the least likely to make it to a live event and there's usually only 2 guys from the US and 2 guys from Canada....same 4 guys almost every event, maybe one other wild card if it's a US event. None of the guys who are that good would compete in other regions, because they wouldn't be able to qualify for the live event otherwise.

Just because we are in top split occasionally, does not mean we have a chance at a live event. The people that make it that far are continuously winning or getting podiums, and the points that end up being their highest are from lobbies that are FULL of all the regional aliens, rather than the lobbies that Praiano and myself make it to....where we actually drag the points down by being present, lol.

It just doesn't seem like a realistic or legitimate concern to me because the claim that they are taking points away from others simply translates to losing a race to somebody else playing the same game as you. Points that mean absolutely nothing if you will never make it to a live event. Bragging rights aren't enough to get upset about, especially when everyone has 5 opportunities to compete in each race.

I mean, it's not surprising that people are pissed about it, because some people just like to find reasons to get worked up about things that don't affect them, that's just a decent part of the general population...but it doesn't mean it makes any sense or that it needs to stop. Those people will just find a new thing to be upset about if this wasn't happening. But let's be honest, it's not gonna stop happening.

The definition of selfish and ignorant.
Thanks for the kinds words.
Don't worry , i float around 48000 and 53000 since a year.
Low low A+. No way to cause any prejudice to a FIA championship candidate. I'm far behind.
Since a few monthes , i don't work at night anymore so i'm able to race multiples accounts.
I love to do this and nobody will tell me how ho play a GAME .
For me it's ok. Since my friends everywhere are happy to race with me. Me too.
If you don't agree , your problem. If you bitter about it , just swallow it. That's life.

I have a 15 M optic fiber connection and it never have generated any lag
Connection speed (or rather bandwidth) doesn't generate lag. Latency does, and that's caused by poor network infrastructure and geographical distance.

The sheer time it takes a signal to go from South America to Europe and, crucially, back means that you are always - always - at least 0.2s away from where anyone else in a European race lobby thinks you are.

There's no getting round it, because it's a physical limitation of our universe - the signal can only go at the speed of light (and it can't actually go that fast) and it takes time to travel the distance up the cable. Your data has to go up the domestic infrastructure to either Praia Grande or Fortaleza (depending on where in Brazil you are), then up a relatively modest pipe (called Ellalink) to Lisbon, then out to Amsterdam, and then wherever the people in Europe are, then it has to come all the way back again.

You're looking at a 12,000mi data path unless there's someone in Eastern Europe... and we're EMEA, so if there's someone in the Middle East or Africa, you can just keep turning the numbers up.

Data travels at 120mi/s or thereabouts. 12,000mi at 120mi/s is 100ms. There and back again is 200ms. The current latency (ping) between Sao Paolo and Amsterdam, right now, is 204ms.

And the thing with lag is it's never the person who's lagging that sees it.

I'm french and i have a legal adress there.
Your European account wouldn't happen to have a French flag, and the name of a famous Brazilian three-time F1 world champion racing driver along with a year would it? Parmalat-liveried Lexus Gr.2?

Connection speed (or rather bandwidth) doesn't generate lag. Latency does, and that's caused by poor network infrastructure and geographical distance.

The sheer time it takes a signal to go from South America to Europe and, crucially, back means that you are always - always - at least 0.2s away from where anyone else in a European race lobby thinks you are.

There's no getting round it, because it's a physical limitation of our universe - the signal can only go at the speed of light (and it can't actually go that fast) and it takes time to travel the distance up the cable. Your data has to go up the domestic infrastructure to either Praia Grande or Fortaleza (depending on where in Brazil you are), then up a relatively modest pipe (called Ellalink) to Lisbon, then out to Amsterdam, and then wherever the people in Europe are, then it has to come all the way back again.

You're looking at a 12,000mi data path unless there's someone in Eastern Europe... and we're EMEA, so if there's someone in the Middle East or Africa, you can just keep turning the numbers up.

Data travels at 120mi/s or thereabouts. 12,000mi at 120mi/s is 100ms. There and back again is 200ms. The current latency (ping) between Sao Paolo and Amsterdam, right now, is 204ms.

all that being said....what if there is still no lag? It's not very difficult to view your race from somebody else's perspective via streams or replays, especially in A or A+ rank. I can't speak for Praiano specifically, but I've raced in EMEA a little bit and have seen my car on other people's screens without any lag. I don't know how to explain it, because I know what you've explained is true, but it's a thing. People do play across regions without lag. Happens every single day.

edit: *noticeable lag I mean, but the .2s you mentioned would definitely be noticeable.

all that being said....what if there is still no lag?
There's always lag :D
It's not very difficult to view your race from somebody else's perspective via streams or replays, especially in A or A+ rank.
Replays are a tricky thing. If you view someone else's race from your replay, you're not watching what they saw and did. You're watching what your console says they said and did, and that's dependent on latency again.

Of course their stream will show their point of view, and how you appear on there may not be what you recall :lol:

I can't speak for Praiano specifically, but I've raced in EMEA a little bit and have seen my car on other people's screens without any lag. I don't know how to explain it, because I know what you've explained is true, but it's a thing. People do play across regions without lag. Happens every single day.

edit: *noticeable lag I mean, but the .2s you mentioned would definitely be noticeable.
It's essentially down to how games deal with lag - and this actually helps explain what a lag punt is and why it happens.

They... guess. They're actually always doing it, because it is almost impossible for one console to know exactly where another car on another console is at any given moment. If you consider that GTS runs at 60fps, it means that once every 16.67ms the game updates what's on the screen. Unless the consoles are in the same room (like in a LAN; you lose about 2ms inside the house, so you're looking at 1.5mi separation at most - far, far less in practice) Car A on console A will have moved before console B knows where it is, because the screen has updated before the data arrives from console A saying where it is now.

So they guess. They essentially take the data on what the last known inputs were, what the next inputs are likely to be, pretend that's where the car is now, and draw it in (hitboxes and all). That happens every 16.67ms. Then, when the console next receives information about where the car is and what it's doing, it updates it with the 'real' position.

This means that almost all of the time someone is driving predictably, their car will be pretty much where the game expects it to be, even with latency up in the 100ms area. It gets a bit clunky in sharp corners, because it takes a while for the large braking and steering inputs to get there, which is why you'll sometimes see cars jittering about a bit and changing lines (or, with more severe lag, the car turning against its direction of travel in a plume of smoke and spinning about while rapidly moving forward and backward), but basically if you're predictable the game will guess you correctly.

It all goes to pot when dicing for position though, because you're moving around unpredictably - you want to be to make it hard for the other driver to predict, so you can get past. The harder you are to predict, the harder it is for the game to predict you, and the higher the lag, the more wrong your car position will be... on someone else's screen.

That's where lag punts come in too. In essence the console gets where the remote car is wrong and, in updating its position (which may also be wrong), accelerates it into the local car, punting it. The guy on the other console might not even see or feel any contact, but the result is that you're in the gravel.

These effects are always there, but as lag increases the more they're magnified.

Racing between regions is absolutely possible with minimal intrusion. In the FIA events, with the fixed servers, Transatlantic play between Europe and North America should be relatively fine. There's an enormous, fat, arrow straight pipe (actually there's loads of them, but there's one big fat one in particular) between London and New York because... money. Shaving 1ms off the transaction time between the New York Stock Exchange and the FTSE is worth billions, so the investment into Transatlantic telecommunications is similarly billions. In data-time terms, I'm probably no further away from the North America servers (in Virginia) than someone in LA is, and I'm 1,000 miles further away physically.

South America and Australia are more problematic. This map should pretty much cover the reason why:

upload_2020-1-22_1-29-51.png

Look at the path data has to take from Sao Paulo to New York - and check out the cabling between the major finance centres (London, New York, Tokyo). Turns out we have stockbrokers to thank for decent online gaming experience...

Physics be wack.

Your European account wouldn't happen to have a French flag, and the name of a famous Brazilian three-time F1 world champion racing driver along with a year would it? Parmalat-liveried Lexus Gr.2?
I race with friends in the room and they've never reported lag to me , like anybody else
Still No lag reported by friends during FIA sessions.

My EU account is quebracoco_84 and CA is wildisthewindo_O , not a secret at all.
Parmalat ?? Don't know.Not my car.

I just do what the game allow me to do , knowing that i'm not a pain for nobody else technically (lag).
If PD don't want region to mix , so they have to write an algorithm for this.
I'm just a gt player and i pay for this.
That's all a have to say.
Edit:
I've read that my connection is direct fortaleza miami. Optic fiber

Still No lag reported by friends during FIA sessions.
And yet it will be there. It is a literal physical impossibility for a player in South America to have lag-free races in Europe (even with the FIA event's fixed servers) because you're 6,000 internet miles away (12,000 because the data goes there and back) and the magic required to make a signal instantaneously transport itself across that distance doesn't exist.
If PD don't want region to mix , so they have to writte an algorithm for this.
They did - and for this reason. There's now five regions instead of three, because South and North America have too much distance in terms of internet infrastructure between them, as do Oceania and Asia, creating lag.

However they can't stop someone making an account in a different region and racing in it. Sony could, but it appears it doesn't want to.

I've read that my connection is direct fortaleza miami. Optic fiber
Fortaleza to Miami (Boca Raton, in fact), is a 6,560-mile cable called Monet (edit: Oh cool, it has a Wikipedia page). The fact it's fibre optic is pretty meaningless (they all are), but the fact it's a 13,000-mile round trip for your data instantly creates more than 100ms of latency.

Also Miami is in North America, not Europe. To Europe it's Fortaleza-Lisbon on EllaLink (although that's only recently operational; I think it was Atlantis-2 before that, with literally a thousandth of the capacity), up through Cape Verde. By the time it reaches the Sony server in Amsterdam, that's a solid 6,000 miles too - or 12,000 there and back.

Check the infrastructure ping yourself if you like:
https://wondernetwork.com/pings/

Distance creates latency (or ping), latency means lag. Distance = lag.

Last edited:
I was right about a couple of things: Nations was a wreckfest and it was a lot of fun. T1 and the first chicane were bigger messes than T1 at Autopolis and Brands Hatch combined. I got punted twice lap 1 - I actually pitted because my car was so damaged - and slid off a couple more times dealing with dirty tires. I think my strategy worked for me - 6M/7H/5S. I finished 12th w/ 21 pts. All this with one of my dogs insisting on using my left arm as a pillow.

I might go again. We'll see.

Last edited:
Had to do 2 races again tonight. I hadn't driven the track in a day, and never in full race conditions with tires and fuel being a factor. I hopped in the 3rd time slot, qualified 12th, finished 15th (and somehow not worse) after numerous death wobbles on exit curbs, and at least 1 spin. Did some practice in between rounds, and put the car 5th on the grid for the next race. I rocketed up to 2nd at the start, and held that for the first stint on softs. I got undercut by the guy behind me when I pitted for mediums at the end of lap 5 and was down to 3rd. After 7 laps on the mediums I pitted for the hards on lap 12, then pitted a lap later to put on softs again to the end. I couldn't tame this twitchy death-mobile on hard tires, and I'm not really good at saving tires either, so I was forced to do a 3-stop. That dumped me down the order to 7th and 139 points, which replaced a lower-points race from earlier this season.

Overall, it's an ok result. I thought I'd be better in this car, since I'm usually good at handling "difficult", yet high-grip cars (the karts, Red Bull Junior, Lewis Hamilton's F1 car, and the F1500T are some of my favorite cars in this game, and usually give me my best results in an FIA season if they come up), but the same unpredictability on the limit that I experienced on the DS4 is still there now that I have my G29... This result is especially ironic since I was expecting terrible results from last weekend's races, but ended up with really good ones. I'll probably skip tomorrow's race, because my lack of tire-saving skills is gonna do nothing but sink my DR.

Last edited:
So...........manufactures. Soft tires are good on the Aston for about 3 laps and then fall off dramatically. Going to be a long race.

Really wish we had an FIA series with longer races and less ridiculous tire wear ratings. I want to race people, not worry about tires and fuel.

I feel I can do a one stopper in the Aston ..
Start on RS for 4 laps and then RH until the end.
I see others mentioning Mediums for a third stint ... maybe 4/4/4 ?

I was overdue for a win at Nations, it had been awhile. I think this was 3rd split, second to last slot of the night. Qualified on pole with a mediocre lap, and ran a cautious race. Went with 9M/3H/6S while saving fuel. I think mediums on the first stint was the right choice because even though people behind me were on softs, the fighting and dirty air cost them too much tire life/pace early on and after a few laps my mediums were just as fast. I almost didn’t enter this round because I was worried about screwing up other people’s race. I ran about 10 laps in a practice lobby last night before bed, then I worked all day today and got home 4 minutes before race start. I really do love high downforce cars.

Never driven the GT-R around Catalunya. Not sure how it'll hold up. I know the RC F '17 is pretty nimble around there. The Big Lex mixed with the best of them, each time this combo came up. At least, hope the GT-R top end can compensate.

Edit: GT-R is horrible. Really weird. Started 2nd( 2 seconds slower than the leader). First stint on RS was okay. Handling is terrible. An RC F '16 was smacking me up and down in the cornering. I could only get it on corner exit. and straights. Miss the RC F '17. *sniff*

Pitted with the leader(NSX) at lap 5. we both switched to RH. Some players started on RM. I had a nice gap. but the RC F behind was eating into it from 3.5 seconds down to 1 second at lap 10. I pitted again for RS. They didn't last 3 laps. A big fat joke. I pitted again for RS on lap 12. Must have been a bad batch, jeez... Caught back up to the RC F, finished 3rd.

I get this. but I was the only Nissan. :confused:
EO3cEHyU8Acf1ib

Last edited:
And yet it will be there. It is a literal physical impossibility for a player in South America to have lag-free races in Europe (even with the FIA event's fixed servers) because you're 6,000 internet miles away (12,000 because the data goes there and back) and the magic required to make a signal instantaneously transport itself across that distance doesn't exist.

They did - and for this reason. There's now five regions instead of three, because South and North America have too much distance in terms of internet infrastructure between them, as do Oceania and Asia, creating lag.

However they can't stop someone making an account in a different region and racing in it. Sony could, but it appears it doesn't want to.

Fortaleza to Miami (Boca Raton, in fact), is a 6,560-mile cable called Monet (edit: Oh cool, it has a Wikipedia page). The fact it's fibre optic is pretty meaningless (they all are), but the fact it's a 13,000-mile round trip for your data instantly creates more than 100ms of latency.

Also Miami is in North America, not Europe. To Europe it's Fortaleza-Lisbon on EllaLink (although that's only recently operational; I think it was Atlantis-2 before that, with literally a thousandth of the capacity), up through Cape Verde. By the time it reaches the Sony server in Amsterdam, that's a solid 6,000 miles too - or 12,000 there and back.

Check the infrastructure ping yourself if you like:
https://wondernetwork.com/pings/

Distance creates latency (or ping), latency means lag. Distance = lag.

So I’ve raced him in the EU nations and Manu cup probably the last month or so and although I can’t say I’ve seen any lag.
What I have noticed is if I’ve been behind him I don’t get the slim stream at the normal position of 1.5 seconds especially nations were we in same car so bop is not the reason. I seem to get the slip closer to 1.0 -.1.2 seconds is this the latency you explain in the data time ?

Hi! In this whole discussion about multicounts my opinion is that we all should follow the RULES. Like someone mentioned PD can ban for participating in different regions at least in FIA. Its all about respect and how you treat other people, very simple. Even if youre frenchman living in brasil and loving canadian people;)

Well that was a total disaster. Paid the price for only practising in the 'practice' section with no tire wear etc and thinking i was quick. Race conditions i was all over the place. Qualified last trying to get used to the massive difference in grip. Did make my way up through the pack into 9th after a couple of laps but then got punted off. After that i just couldn't get used to the track and didn't even finish the race before the time ran out. :banghead: Finished 13th out of 15 finishers.

Yep - and thus not relevant to your connection to Europe. EllaLink is your connection to Europe - which I think replaced the horrific Atlantis-2 (EllaLink runs 40TB/s; Atlantis-2 ran 50GB/s), although I'm not totally sure on that one. Atlantis-2 may have been voice telephony only.
Anyway 0.2 latency or not
There's no "not" in here. You are a minimum of 200ms away from Europe. That's an actual fact, governed by the physical limitations of the universe. I've shown you the maps and linked you to the global infrastructure ping statistics (which are live).
we are able to play together my friends and me without problems.
This is a fact.
That's an opinion - "problems" is subjective. A fact is that your data has to make a 12,000-mile (or more; EMEA includes Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and Siberia) round trip and due to the physical limitations of our universe - the whole universe - that takes time. In fact it takes around 200ms. There is literally nothing that can avoid that - and if you can, there's a Nobel Prize in Physics in it for you, and they'll just close it up after that because you'll have cracked superluminal communication.

I explained in this post why it is that you may not commonly see any serious negative effects of that, but purely because of the latency caused by distance you are much more likely to cause them than someone actually in Europe, all other things being equal. The fixed servers in FIA events also iron things out a bit compared to P2P in lobbies and Daily Races.

If I drive in the North America events I will also not commonly see any serious negative effects, but purely because of the latency caused by distance I am much more likely to cause them than someone actually in North America - with the caveat that it depends on where in North America they are; I'd probably be closer to the server in Virginia in data terms than someone in Vancouver would be - Hibernia/GTT Express has a 58.95ms latency between London and New York, so chances are I'm barely 100ms from Virginia.

Edit: 10ms difference between London-Washington and Vancouver-Washington or LA-Washington:

upload_2020-1-22_12-21-18.png

Add on my distance to London and 100ms is about ballpark.

Edit: I forgot the non-cons! Honolulu is just over 100ms right now (I guess there's a whacking great pipe because US military). There's no servers in Alaska, but Alaska United is about another 1000mi on from Vancouver so around 100ms wouldn't be unreasonable.

Anoying is playing with people flying randomly all around you.
I'm not.
Poor home internet setup is indeed a problem. I've seen UK drivers teleporting all over the place, and it's pretty likely they're using a wireless (or tethered mobile) connection in the middle of rural nowhere with no thought given to optimising their connection. Their network test chart must look like an old CRT television when you yank the plug out of the back.

I can only imagine what it'd be like if they were also 12,000 miles away running an EU account.

Last edited:
There is literally nothing that can avoid that - and if you can, there's a Nobel Prize in Physics in it for you, and they'll just close it up after that because you'll have cracked superluminal communication.
Cynical answer really . I've never claimed something like this. You can spread your science the way you want , you know about this and it's fine.
But , it's still not prejudicial for the others regions when i race there. Fact.

A bit late in the day but here's my take on strategy for round 7 manufacturers.

Hows your tyre saving??

Tire saving? What's that? :lol:
I'm likely gonna skip this one... I usually can't even get Mediums to last as long as some people can get the Softs to last...

Cynical answer really . I've never claimed something like this. You can spread your science the way you want , you know about this and it's fine.
I have no idea what's "cynical" about it, or what it has to do with what you've claimed anywhere.

Data can only go so fast. It cannot go any faster. That means it takes time to travel distances. That means that the bigger the distances, the more time it takes. That's what latency is - the time between data leaving one place and arriving at another. More distance = more latency.

This is how the universe works. Superluminal communication (like Star Trek's 'subspace') would solve it, and more besides as it would be revolutionary, but by all current knowledge it's impossible. Without it, distance = latency.

But , it's still not prejudicial for the others regions when i race there. Fact.
No, opinion - and not one I care about in any way.

A fact would be that data cannot reach GT Sport's datacentre in Europe (Amsterdam) from your console in any less than 200ms because of the distance it has to travel due to the routing of the global internet infrastructure. GT Sport's netcode may mask some of that latency as I explained in the post where I explained how it works, but it's always there because that is how the universe works.

Do what you like with the information - I don't care - but know you are always more likely to cause issues in a lobby because of how far your data has to travel and how long that takes compared to users in Western Europe. Others in the EMEA region may be worse, because the EMEA region is enormous. There may also be people with shoddy home networks who are worse too, because making it difficult for complete data packets to leave the home network and head out to the internet slows it down - creating more latency.

Last edited:
A bit late in the day but here's my take on strategy for round 7 manufacturers.

Hows your tyre saving??

Hows your tyre saving??
Probably not good enough, especially at a tyre muncher like Catalunya :lol:

Thanks for the guide. If I qualify top half I'll go 4S/5S/5H (may switch around the 2nd and 3rd stints depending on how the race has developed). If I qualify near the back I'll start on Hards and go 4H/5S/5S.

Must. Not. Overdrive. Car.

I have no idea what's "cynical" about it.

Data can only go so fast. It cannot go any faster. That means it takes time to travel distances. That means that the bigger the distances, the more time it takes. That's what latency is - the time between data leaving one place and arriving at another. More distance = more latency.

This is how the universe works. Superluminal communication (like Star Trek's 'subspace') would solve it, and more besides as it would be revolutionary, but by all current knowledge it's impossible.
No, opinion - and not one I care about in any way.

A fact would be that data cannot reach GT Sport's datacentre in Europe (Amsterdam) from your console in any less than 200ms because of the distance it has to travel due to the routing of the global internet infrastructure. GT Sport's netcode may mask some of that latency as I explained in the post where I explained how it works, but it's always there because that is how the universe works.

Do what you like with the information - I don't care - but know you are always more likely to cause issues in a lobby because of how far your data has to travel and how long that takes compared to users in Western Europe. Others in the EMEA region may be worse, because the EMEA region is enormous. There may also be people with shoddy home networks who are worse too, because making it difficult for complete data packets to leave the home network and head out to the internet slows it down - creating more latency.
You're repeating yourself. Waste of time. I will not do this.
For cynical check any english , french or portuguese dictionary. The definition is all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back