FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to sneak into the top 25 for Ferrari after completing my 8th race on Wednesday. I won’t be racing on Saturday so that’s me for the season. Congrats to the top 10 in Ferrari, some crazy high scores up there.

What to choose for next season, feeling like another MR car, the Lambo or Peugoet maybe...... see you all in the next season :cheers:

F0022AB8-4777-4336-9C93-FA9E523193C6.png

Any tips on driving the X2019? When I brake, the way I've been releasing the brakes/trail braking in other cars to help the car rotate into/ease into a corner doesn't really work with the X2019, it seems like, from watching the top replays and seeing some people in a test lobby, it's more about getting off the throttle for rotation and only trail braking if you're not trying to induce any rotation?
Off the throttle and gear changes help with rotation. First hairpin for example, there are two shadows before the 100m board, brake ON the first one, come all the way down to 1st gear then as you start to turn in flick it up to 2nd but don't accelerate, might take a little getting used to but it seems to help me round. Also accelerating out of those hairpins the outside kerbs are treacherous if you have any kind of steering angle on - but I'd imagine you've already found that out!

I find it interesting how this next FIA series will be going into 2021. Not a good chance of GT7 coming out this year looking at this.
Is it possible to do cross platform just for the FIA races? Forget the logic about Sport Mode Daily races, Lobbys, etc. I'm just saying, is it possible to just have servers dedicated for PS4 & PS5 for stand alone FIA races?

Gonna be practicing here in a little bit, but in case anyone else has already figured this out, what seems to be the strategy for Manufacturer's? The Mediums can't be viable all race with x8 tire wear so it's probably going to be a clear-cut 1 stop, right?

I found for the hairpin corners, which I assume you’re probably having some issues, braking earlier than you’d think and coasting until mid corner works.

Due to the cars quick buildup of power, they will push on exit if you get on full throttle too early. Really down to a bad default diff setting than anything.

Off the throttle and gear changes help with rotation. First hairpin for example, there are two shadows before the 100m board, brake ON the first one, come all the way down to 1st gear then as you start to turn in flick it up to 2nd but don't accelerate, might take a little getting used to but it seems to help me round. Also accelerating out of those hairpins the outside kerbs are treacherous if you have any kind of steering angle on - but I'd imagine you've already found that out!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, definitely not used to driving super high downforce cars with a ton of power, so it's gonna take some getting used to. I'm just hoping a lot of other people are in the same boat so I'm not completely outclassed tomorrow lol.

Is it possible to do cross platform just for the FIA races? Forget the logic about Sport Mode Daily races, Lobbys, etc. I'm just saying, is it possible to just have servers dedicated for PS4 & PS5 for stand alone FIA races?

I personally hope that doesn't happen, even if it means splintering the FIA player base, because that means it restricts the FIA races to the tracks and cars available in GT Sport only to keep it fair. Plus, that would be either GT7's physics can't change from GT Sport, or the FIA races will have a different physics model from the rest of the game which would be like trying to play two different games depending on what mode you're in.

Gonna be practicing here in a little bit, but in case anyone else has already figured this out, what seems to be the strategy for Manufacturer's? The Mediums can't be viable all race with x8 tire wear so it's probably going to be a clear-cut 1 stop, right?

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, definitely not used to driving super high downforce cars with a ton of power, so it's gonna take some getting used to. I'm just hoping a lot of other people are in the same boat so I'm not completely outclassed tomorrow lol.

I personally hope that doesn't happen, even if it means splintering the FIA player base, because that means it restricts the FIA races to the tracks and cars available in GT Sport only to keep it fair. Plus, that would be either GT7's physics can't change from GT Sport, or the FIA races will have a different physics model from the rest of the game which would be like trying to play two different games depending on what mode you're in.
Does that even the field though? If everyone are using the same physics build? Similar to GT Academy builds. Also, the stand alone Japan only events builds.
Not being too crazy as it may be lots of work to do such a thing. However, to bridge new PS5 players and those that have participated in PS4, it seems fair.

I'm debating whether to enter the final round for Manufacturers tomorrow too. Results wise I don't really need to, given that I've far exceeded my original expectations and look to be heading to a top 25 finish for Honda in EMEA this season. However on one hand, most of my best results have come driving the Gr.3 NSX, and this layout of Tokyo is fun to blast around when you get into a rhythm. On the other though, racing tends to be really difficult around the streets of Tokyo, and with the penalty system being as finicky as it is at the moment, I'm not sure I fancy my chances! Least of all when I've got the final round of the Supra Cup to survive next week...

That said I think I'll do some practice tonight to get an idea, strategy looks to be a 1-stop at least right?

Regarding this Saturday's Manufacturers Series round, how many laps do you think I could go on Tokyo South before I have to pit? Will I need to pit more than once?

Regarding this Saturday's Manufacturers Series round, how many laps do you think I could go on Tokyo South before I have to pit? Will I need to pit more than once?
I was able to do 10 laps in the Porsche.
When you want to pit will depend on how your car and driving style treats your tires. Might be as early as lap 8, or as late as lap 10.
Pit once, and you're good to go.

Brings up a point: one of the things that drives me crazy about the way people race in GT Sport, at least at any level below A+, is how people move under braking to cover the apex, when a legitimate passing opportunity exists. (Not a dive-bomb). It is why Red Bull Ring is nearly un-raceable, and why the Porsche 911 RSR isn't very effective at HP tracks-- it's advantage is the best brakes in the field, but when people move under braking, it negates the opportunity to battle fairly with it.

The only chance I'd have at Tokyo is to slipstream and pass at the last hairpin, and possibly also the first one (though that is more of a sweeper at the apex). But I am certain, like always, that people will move under braking and invite contact, and with the penalty system as it is, and the carnage that can happen when that happens (you wouldn't dare do it IRL because: injury and damage and $$ and actual stewards), there is no chance for an underpowered car, even with the best brakes in the field.

Just some random FIA racing thoughts;
“Moving under braking,” Something I rarely do, but I did have someone teach me it was poor etiquette by not braking at the next opportunity and plowing 3 cars off the track, then letting me know he did it because I wasn't forming good driving habits. Now that I pay more attention to it, I realize a TON of people do it, not realizing you are not supposed to do everything it takes to hold your spot, that proper etiquette is to allow them to pass and battle back the same way at your next opportunity.

The bigger issue seems that people don’t seem to realize is lap times and time gaps. They haven’t yet come to the conclusion that someone who closes a 4 second gap, when you haven’t made a mistake, is likely faster and holding them off will only slow you both down. Or, that someone who was 10 seconds ahead and got shoved off that you are trying to pass will likely be gone again in a lap or two if they get a chance to gather it up.

Proper racing is a long sum game, racing as if it’s all about turn 1 or making that 1 pass will almost always mean worse results. Factor in the different cars and it gets pretty tricky to sort out.

Hopefully they will sort out the penalty system and GR4 cars for next season.

Does trail braking constitute "moving under braking," or is it more of a move from the outside to the inside line in the braking zone/trying to cover as many lines as possible?

The latter. Trail braking is perfectly fine and predictable, as long as you leave room for at least a car's width if the other driver has at least part of his car alongside yours.

Problem with drivers who move under braking is that it's unpredictable. It puts a lot of responsibility on the other driver to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

The bigger issue seems that people don’t seem to realize is lap times and time gaps. They haven’t yet come to the conclusion that someone who closes a 4 second gap, when you haven’t made a mistake, is likely faster and holding them off will only slow you both down. Or, that someone who was 10 seconds ahead and got shoved off that you are trying to pass will likely be gone again in a lap or two if they get a chance to gather it up.

That's just poor racecraft, drivers who don't realise they could get a better result by racing smarter. But everyone is entitled to defend their position as long as they do it appropriately, even if it's not the wisest thing to do...

Last edited:
I'm definitely not racing in Manufacturers tonight. Considering how much time you lose by just grazing a wall somewhere I'm for sure not going to risk being shoved sideways by some hothead during the race.

I can see it in front of me now: Someone gets up a bit alongside me in the second tunnel, completely disregards my existence and drives their normal line through there and shoves me into the wall. First there's the instant loss of speed by the collision alone, then there's the 1.5 seconds of penalty for wall contact, then I probably land another 3 seconds for forcing another car off track or something stupid. So even if I start on pole I'll be dead last two laps in on a high speed track with no hope of recovering it.

It's part of those drivers racing line. Even before the braking markers, many are already in the middle of the track (I'm guilty of that a bit) before they drift even further. It's good at holding your position, but in reality, it is slowing them down.

--------------------------------------
I've run two race sims for the Nation's Cup race, and I feel pretty good. With AI at Pro (or whatever the high setting in Arcade is), and starting mid-pack, I don't know if it's fast, but I can average a high 1:26 with a strategy of 14S (no fuel) - 1H (Take all the fuel to make the finish) - 9M.

I know I can bring those times down, but after nearly 300 miles, I feel I got the race set. The bright pink rocket is ready for some fun.

I am looking to try both races this weekend, but really totally fed up with the double run saturdays. After getting kids to bed and sorting out end of day stuff I usually have 1 run at Manu and 1 at Nations. And often that 1 shot each has me running till 11. I understand they wanted to leave space for Supra Cup on sundays, but this has been really annoying. Please let next season be split up again. Heck, put 1 of the races on a Friday even. Just not this doubleheader mess again.

Holy smokes and gee whiz!

I really tried to avoid contact. But man, I was B/C, a couple players normally A/S were C/D. One said they went from 70000 to 36000 in one race.

Anyway, I qualy on RH to see the pace. I'm 1.919 from pole. That's 8th.

Good start. I make it up to 6th behind a friendly Daily player. Behind me is mayhem. I think 4th jump started. That messed up everyin behind me on the right hand side.
I had a gap behind of about 3 seconds by T2. I slow right down as we're taking it easy. I should have hit Pause. I get smashed by a fist fill of cars. Again, getting hit all the way from there to the bell tower. No penalties for me. Last place.

Pit Lap1. Still last place. Top up fuel and switch to RM. Ran those to Lap 14. 27seconds for every one of those laps.

Switch to RS. I'm up to 7th. First five laps are 26seconds. Cars ahead are pitting. I move up to 3rd. P2 goes wide at T2. Gives me room to pass. With 3 or 4 to go, P1 pits for RS!
Pass P1 down pit straight. Times drop to 25seconds for the remaining laps

Something happens to the pole sitter as they are at the bottom of the 10.

36 points. Wow. Up to B/A.
IMG_20200808_155911.jpg

Holy smokes and gee whiz!

I really tried to avoid contact. But man, I was B/C, a couple players normally A/S were C/D. One said they went from 70000 to 36000 in one race.

Anyway, I qualy on RH to see the pace. I'm 1.919 from pole. That's 8th.

Good start. I make it up to 6th behind a friendly Daily player. Behind me is mayhem. I think 4th jump started. That messed up everyin behind me on the right hand side.
I had a gap behind of about 3 seconds by T2. I slow right down as we're taking it easy. I should have hit Pause. I get smashed by a fist fill of cars. Again, getting hit all the way from there to the bell tower. No penalties for me. Last place.

Pit Lap1. Still last place. Top up fuel and switch to RM. Ran those to Lap 14. 27seconds for every one of those laps.

Switch to RS. I'm up to 7th. First five laps are 26seconds. Cars ahead are pitting. I move up to 3rd. P2 goes wide at T2. Gives me room to pass. With 3 or 4 to go, P1 pits for RS!
Pass P1 down pit straight. Times drop to 25seconds for the remaining laps

Something happens to the pole sitter as they are at the bottom of the 10.

36 points. Wow. Up to B/A.
View attachment 947594
Are you sure this isnt one of the drivers from your race?
images.jpeg-2.jpg

I cant believe you and shark are down that low. Scary the number of good players getting resets these days and the types of players I am seeing in top SR lobbies.

Are you sure this isnt one of the drivers from your race?
View attachment 947596

I cant believe you and shark are down that low. Scary the number of good players getting resets these days and the types of players I am seeing in top SR lobbies.
But wait, there's more...

That was a mixed A/B, B/A, B/S, C/S. All over the place. And I have the Number 14. That C7 was hitting the walls and skidding. That RSR was short shifting. Going real slow.

The banging went on for two more laps. Cars behind caught up and then, from the start line to the docks, the RSR is blocking us all!! It's like four-wide. The RSR hugs the right wall and miraculously, all of us behind it, brake early and the RSR brakes too late. I pulled away from there.

Won that race by 35 seconds. Pit Lap 10. 58 seconds from start to Lap 12. All of a sudden, the engine changed and I got more power. My FL at that time was 58.3. My time dropped to 57.5!
Looked at my fuel, it was at 5laps/28%.

Similar thing with the Red Bull. With about 5laps fuel, that car's engine performance changed. Never noticed this before.

Edit: @The_Tullster he's faster than me. Usually in an FF Megane. Also, the smurf guy is not very clean, but to see that player low ranked, it ain't us "regular" players.

I know it's ongoing disgust with the penalties, but it's got to be getting worse.

Last edited:
Had my Manu race. Outqualified myself and started p7. Total disaster into the docks. Several crashes, and I feathered the brakes a touch which caused me to slide wide. In the pile of ghosts leaving the meas I got slammed with penalties. 6.5 seconds to start. Dropped to p16. Managed to drive way back to p7 and points. But SR is down to 81. Nations might as well be over. Would need over 85 or so to score and last time I was in this type of lobby it was something like 50 to win. Oh well. Time for Red Bull 🤬 Wreckfest :cheers:

Edit: Nations went ugly, but only due to me. I was in an lobby with a couple of drivers near the top split, so there was a chance to get points. But I was trying to race clean so took the wide line through turn 1. Umm, went too wide and caught the wall. Wreck 1. Drove back ok after that, got up to p9 or so and clipped another wall for a wreck. Got pushed onto the turn 1 wall another time. Tapped into a wall bounce. Clipped the curb exiting turn 2 for a 3 point return to racing. Yeah. It was ugly, but about 95pct my driving mistakes so I can deal with that. Got lapped so I only had to do 23 laps. Was still p8. No points but oh well. SR survived back to 99 so I will take it.

Good luck out there and tighten your helmets and belts. Fun but crazy races to be had so Good Luck and smooth driving to all you in the last rounds.:cheers::sly:

Last edited:
I can’t control the red bull car confidently so I just joined the manufacturer race and I won it lol
B3D6FA5A-90DF-43D7-8CEA-4DEA4BFEEE54.jpeg

Started in p5 and that was what I expected. Didn’t have a good pace in the first few laps due to the 4 cars fight in front of me (gotta stay behind for a while...). After they either hit the wall or got penalties at the end of s1, I got a chance to sneak into p1 and I kept my place till the end...
27E50333-8D00-440C-84B6-1E649D945F58.jpeg
00AA4630-7556-44C1-9191-3C574F4AF71D.jpeg

I will upload the race replay later since I think it was a pretty good race for me: good pace, stay away from the wall, and avoid corner cutting lol The penalties you get for corner cutting can cost you the whole race... so as hitting the wall especially at T1...

That’s the tips I have and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back