FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Nations was fantastic!

In with Watto and Trevisio I had a solid qualy run, 1:23.901, there was a little more in there but not much and I started 4th.

Off the line fine, after a practice beforehand I knew not to go into T1 two wide so yielded to third place who promptly shoved it into the wall anyway, Trevisio took advantage of my trepidation and passed me into T2. I got a little nudge from behind that pushed me wide and allowed a Portuguese a run up the inside into T3 but despite not being nearly alongside he refused to back out until the last moment and I missed the corner in an attempt to give room. I overtook him at the start of L2, he re-took on the run down to the right hander in sector 2 (though couldn't do it cleanly) and I was lining him up again thinking we were just going to waste each other's races when he binned it in the second hairpin on L3. I gave a nod, a wink and a smile as I went past and set about chasing Trevisio who was now 3s up the road.

Clean air and I was able to bang the laps in, Trevisio seemed to be being held up by a Brit (Marco) and I caught them both by L6, the leader had checked out though and was a further 4s away. Trying to line up an epic drive out of the second hairpin to get a run and overtake I almost face planted the wall and cost myself a second. I caught back up and at the end of L9 it was a situation where I was doing the opposite to them. They pit, I stay out, they stay out, I pit. They pitted, as did everyone else, so I did L10 of my first stint on softs

Put in a good in lap, fuelled to the end of L19 and emerged in 3rd place. Trevisio had fuelled to the finish, Watto was 2s behind me and Marco hadn't fuelled at all - giving him a near 7s gap planning to go to L16. This gave me clean air for my second stint and boy did I make the most of it!

L11 - Out lap
L12 - 24.5 Fastest Race Lap
L13 - 24.5 Fastest Race Lap
L14 - 24.5
L15 - 24.2 Fastest Race Lap
L16 - 24.3
L17 - 24.5
L18 - 24.7 Tyres going off now
L19 IN

The hope was I'd jumped Marco as he pitted for mediums and fuel at the end of L16, and as I exited the pits I just made it to T1 ahead. I had colder tyres though and Marco got the run with better traction out of the second hairpin to make a move into the right hander at the end of sector 2. I set about trying to re-pass, knowing I had a couple of laps before we both pitted but on L21 he ran deep into the left-right at the start of sector 3 and I passed, into a lead which I stretched to 3s before the obligatory final lap on hards.

The lap on hards was always going to be sketchy but brought it home in 2nd place, absolutely delighted and soaking with sweat!!

Massive shout to everyone I've raced with over the season, this has been my first full season in FIAs (despite a month off due to technical problems!) and while I'd love to be in the top tier of racers (I know I'm at least 1s a lap from bothering those guys!), I really feel I'm at a level where we're at a decent pace, we see the same people every race, everyone is consistent, most are clean and respectful, and it's true racing. I feel like I've made a couple of friends and I've absolutely loved it

Thank you

(Tagging those I know I've raced at some point this season!!) @watto79 , @VulcanSpirit ,@T_revisio , @ivann ,@Hasnain282 ,@pantherjag, @Lost Sheltie, @SmokeyMR2

Last edited:
And that was that. I’d put all my eggs in one basket for Nations, having not raced for several weeks, and not posted a good result for even longer. But given I tend to do best in longer races with multiple required tires, a good result at Sardegna seemed very possible. But perhaps not in my first attempt; I’d qualified ok but a car flew through the pack from the back of the grid, just as everyone approached Turn 1, and railroaded me into the guardrail. Not a great start, but as always, relying on cheap tactics will only get you so far - I ended up finishing 6th immediately behind the driver that had sent me off. I very nearly had them too, having resisted the urge to send them into the sand at the grand stands, but first place was so far ahead that the race was called on my second last lap, which hadn’t factored into my pit strategy.

20200809102716.jpg

All aboard the fail train!

Keen for another go, preferably with less crashes, I skipped the Manufacturers event and went for the second Nations time slot. This time starting 4th, I made it through the first turn, but was nearly taken out at the stop sign. I went up the inside of a car that ran wide, but another car came up on my inside to form a carbon-fibre sandwich, and I was the filling. They sent me into the car on the left which hit the barrier and span, leaving me just enough room on the track.

20200809102729.jpg

There is only one thing we say to death - not today!

The other driver then made a mess of the next few corners, and I was able to get by easily - by the end of Lap 1 I was in 2nd, and slipstreaming 1st place. I didn’t quite have the pace to match, I went for medium tires to start the race and run down the fuel load, before deploying softs later when the car would be much lighter. I was back in 3rd place by Lap 4 but held steady, and kept posting consistent lap times through to my first pit stop at the end of Lap 10.

20200809102812.jpg

Running with the red bulls

Despite running a fuel limiter of 2 the tank had only a third of what I needed, so refuelled just over half of what I needed and switched to Hard tires, leaving the pits in 3rd place. Next lap I came in immediately behind the 2nd placed driver for my first load of Soft tires, and exited ahead of the other car to take 2nd which I held for the next few laps. But I was back in 3rd after pitting early for my final set of tires and fuel, just in case the race was cut short again. The early pit paid off, as 2nd place went in to pit on Lap 20, putting me in 2nd on the home stretch. But running on slightly worn rear tires, the X2019 became slightly more tail happy in the corners.

20200809102804.jpg

Where's a priest when you need one?

Coming around the bend at the church, I gave it too much power and the rear end came around. I managed to correct and keep the car heading straight, but straight ahead was a section of barrier that jutted out from the rest. The car slammed into the wall and span, and I was left frantically turning the wheel and mashing the handbrake to get the car to spin back the right way. Thankfully I only lost one place, to a car running hards and low on fuel - I caught them at the exact same spot the next lap and took home 2nd place for 73 points. Disappointing given I’d run worse races and scored significantly more points earlier in the season, but on the bright side I’m back in DR A, and finished 201st in my region. Now it’s just a matter of ticking off the days until August 26th, and being on my best behaviour in the Daily Races. Easier said than done ;-)

20200809102819.jpg

Everyone was cheering for me....is what I tell myself....

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200809095127.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200809095249.jpg

Nation's Finale Slot 1:
Saw that @mohitraina91 and @Razgriz2118 were in this race. Since @mohitraina91 was here, I immediately resigned myself to finishing no better than 2nd. :lol: I qualified 3rd, with @mohitraina91 on pole. Everyone at the front survived Turn 1, and after that the race was pretty straightforward for me. I thought I could take the fight to 2nd place until I realized they were only doing 2 stops and I wasn't really gaining on them after our first ones. In the end the Top 3 all finished where we started, and I bagged 211 points, which was my 2nd best score - my best coming in the F1500T. @Razgriz2118 drove from near the back to bag 7th place as well. With 211 points for my effort, it was an easy decision to not go again.

Manufacturers' Finale Slot 1:

Qualified 17th and knew I had a lot of work to do. Got tangled in a bunch of incidents and finished 10th with my SR dropped to B.

Manufacturers' Finale Slot 2:
Wasted this round trying to get my SR back. I failed to gain enough SR in Daily Race C to get back above 90, so I got placed in a room with a few other recovering DR A drivers (including @Master Weasel), and the rest DR D. Won for 99 points to match my SR.

Manufacturers' Finale Slot 3:

Top Split with @OutlawQuadrnt, @Winnie847, @mohitraina91, and @DNA_OnS. Qualified 10th, and spent most of the race in a pack that stretched from about 6th to 11th. Got a stupid contact penalty for lightly touching someone exiting the docks which dropped me to the back of the pack. Gained a couple of spots after witnessing a savage takedown at the hairpin, and crossed the line in 8th place, which became 7th after the car directly in front of me picked up a 0.5s penalty for cutting one of the corners exiting the docks. It of course rounded up to 1s because the race ended before they could serve the penalty, which meant I was gifted 7th for 205 points, which ties my 3rd best score.

Last edited:
Nations: went from P10 to P4 before the first actual corner, LOL. The rest of the replay is just me holding onto P4 till the end, so I only made a short clip.

MFG: qualified P3 in the final top split slot. Lost some positions early but avoided chaos and penalties then found myself fighting for the lead. The eventual winner got away from me, then later in the race Outlaw caught back up to me after he had some early issues. Finished P3 for 250 points. Didn’t feel like waiting to trim/upload a YT vid but shared both replays in-game.

What a mess this final round was. I nearly got a DR reset. The second slot Manufacturer race I was in with @GTWolverine resulted in me going from SR S (which I got back up to 83 from doing Nations second slot with lower ranked drivers) to SR B (49). Ironically, the driving was cleaner, although not completely contact free, than in my first attempt but the game wasn’t having any of it, I guess. I then decided to just call it day. There was no sense in continuing after that.

Coming into the T16 Manu race, I basically needed to win in order to get Nissan into the Top 12.

Race was over on Lap 3 because of a ridiculous 2 second penalty. Got stuck in the midpack and, well, you know what happens in the midpack. There's a meme video about it but there is some language so I won't risk linking it here.

Tried the last slot for fun and was promptly nudged off T2 where I hit the barrier, collected tons of dirt on my tires and all but spun trying to recover. Then a four second penalty trying to avoid someone rejoining and another two seconds for being squeezed a bit off a corner. That deserved its own separate video.

Quite relieved the official season is over. Some good moments but far too many bad ones. 👎

Detailed race report and full race videos will be posted sometime tomorrow, but for Nations, a lot of the action occurred in the first 40 seconds of the race and I thought this deserved its time in the spotlight. @GTWolverine , I envy you for being up front of the pack and not having to deal with this haha

Really enjoyed this season and enjoyed the combos I didn't expect to see like the Zonda R round and the F1500T-A dispite the open setup controversy. I scored 979 points overall in the nation's cup with a best score of 154 which was the group 1 round at Laguna Seca. My worst was 67 points which was the R32 GT-R'S at Autopolis. Hopefully I can do better next season! My score of 979 points was ultimately good enough for 147th in the UK and 885th overall in EMEA, a result that I'm quite happy with.

Manufacturers was also great fun after switching to Ferrari as I was on the edge of giving up with Lamborghini after 8 rounds. With Ferrari I scored 874 points overall with a best score of 122 points which I achieved at Gr3 willow springs after working my way up the field after a poor quality and at Gr3 Gardens II. Worst result was at blue moon bay with 46 points after making the dumb decision to run again as my run at Kyoto doesn't count. Overall with Ferrari I was 36th for Ferrari and 1279th overall which for me at least is good going, would like to try and get into the top 1000 next time out although that may be a bit ambitious depending on the manufacturer I pick.

As for Ferrari? Well, I really enjoyed driving both cars, with the group 3 version being my preference, although I that could be something to do with the fact that I prefer group 3 cars in general. Both cars were good on fuel and good at fuel saving with the group 3 version being crazy good at that. The group 3 version felt about average on tyre wear for an MR car with by BB set to -3. Both cars definitely performed better at handling tracks like Willow springs and Brands hatch with the Gr4 car verging on the side of an all rounder. Really considering sticking with them next season although a couple others have caught my eye.

Last edited:
Nations top 16: 3 wide into t1, (not Coque corner, the kink), i'm on the outside and hit the wall jutting out, that was it for me, i drop back but run my own race from there, recover to 8th

Manu pleb split: couldn't find a tow for qually, somehow stayed out of the penalty drama and got up to 4th while another aston won, was gonna be close trying to win aston after the mid season switch but couldn't get it done in the end

Glad it's finally over, might try to squeak out the last few wins i need for platinum in the off season but will barely touch the game until the next official season depending on penalties, bop and covid's effect on world tours

Was able to run the Nations and Manufacturers races both last night, in the last slots of each. Chose to run them in the Alt only because I needed one more race in each to count, having only run 7 races in each (actually only 6 in the Nations), and I had to jump in without any free practice for the Nations just as it was starting. And I had't read up or even thought about what strategy to run, or even what tire rules were in place for this weekend's races.

But I really though the Red Bull Competition race was fun! Those cars are pretty nice to race. I was able to qualify 6th without any tow, and felt optimistic about a top 5 if I just avoided trouble. But there was the inevitable carnage on Lap 1, which saw me shoved into the wall of death on the first kink, and then shortly after into Turn 1, hit from behind by another car. I worked from 17th or so back up to 7th, by not putting a wheel wrong while others made mistakes, and running consistent laps. Closed in on the car ahead of me over the last stint, while setting my own fast laps and segments, I could not get the guy ahead to make a mistake, so wound up finishing there in 7th, just tenths behind him. I would love to have run the race on my 'real' account if I had had the time... very fun combo.

For the Manufacturers race, I was hoping the Vette would be more powerful and offer a more promising chance of a good finish, than I would have expected in the Porsche, but I was only able to just about match or slightly better my FP time in the Chevy compared to my Porsche on the main account. Qualified 14th without any drafting assistance, ran up to 9th, but got boxed in behind another 3-car scrap that I didn't want to make messier. Finally did split two of the last guys to get through, to take me up to 7th, on the way into the docks turn, but had to pit for new tires on the lap after.

I assume everyone was pitting, so expected to be able to cycle right back, but first: a guy who didn't like that I had appeared in front of him after my pit stop got impatient, rear ended me on the exit of the last turn, and ~I~ got the penalty... what?!? So stupid. And after that, some of the cars I was ahead when I pitted were still ahead of me... I wasn't sure if people were actually no-stopping it or what. Then in the closing laps, I had to go full lean, because I didn't notice that the thirsty V8 was going to use more fuel than I started with by the end... so had to go full lean and also short shift, costing me two positions more, to fall back to 14th and a very disappointing finish.

But adding another race to my tally for the season was enough to get my alt account to second Chevy in state, even with only 7 races. I wasn't able to get into the top 10 in state with the Nations account, having only run 7 races in that one. I wonder how the Tokyo race would have gone with the Porsche, but I was kind of indifferent to it... the track is ok but it was an underwhelming finale round combo for me.

Full write up on the 2020 FIAGTC season later today!

It’s been a while since I posted a race report as none of my races were worth writing about but since this is the end of the season, I figured I would write a season summary.

I did not do the Nations race as I just couldn’t come to terms with this combo. It was more the track than the car as I do better with faster cars but just could not a groove at Sardegna. I ended up 9th in my area, 389 in USA and 491 in North America. I don’t concentrate on Nations as much as I prefer stability and using different cars just isn’t my thing. I just race them for fun. I could not pass up the SSX race though!

I entered the 5:20 EDT Manufacturers Series with high hopes as I really enjoy the fast tracks. I get to Tokyo South Inner Loop with 9 on the door. I qualified 17th but the field was tight and thought I had a great chance to move up the board. And I did until this happened on lap 1:
0FE3CBD2-4DC7-4E1C-B588-20C3178DEC71.jpeg
4A36EB70-BA6E-4070-8388-451C315D6925.jpeg

That is on the uphill just after the pits. I was able to get up to P10 by this point as I avoided the carnage at the docks. This little piece of curb spun me around and I was facing the wrong way after this. You would think I would have just bounced off but this corner of the curb was like a wall. You can’t tell by the pic but my rear tires are already in the air at this point.

Needless to say, by the time I got pointing in the right direction, I was down to P19 and P20 was right around the corner. I eventually fall to P20 and spend the rest of the race playing catch up. I finish P17, right where I started and considered it a win since I got back to my starting position.
081B3465-88C4-480E-8631-96A133C062A4.jpeg
3F391B16-8F03-457C-BD72-99BCD7BA010D.jpeg

I also knew that I couldn’t end the season like that. So after missing the the 8:10 EST slot, I get in the 10:40 EST slot.

This time, I get 7 on the door and qualify 9th. There are 3 AMG’s in the race and we qualify 7-8-9 with .200 between 7 and 9. I knew this race would be better as there were quite a few racers I was familiar and comfortable with. There is not much to mention here other than I had a fun race. The first half of the race I battled 2 458’s. The 2 458 drivers were very clean as they didn’t force themselves by me and passed cleanly. I pitted on lap 9 and came out just behind an Aston Martin. We spent the second half of the race battling and swapping spots until I got a track limit penalty on lap 16.

Those 458’s and the Aston driver should be commended! There is so much that could go wrong on this track but we all kept our cool and raced cleanly. The Aston even signaled me to pass a couple of times. I ended up finishing P7 for 85 points that counted towards my season total.
9437BFF7-0401-45DD-930B-3DDF15728B0C.jpeg
8EA71B8A-43B3-4923-B83B-CC69B28BFBEE.jpeg

I finish the season 1st in my area, 46th for Mercedes-Benz and 645th in North America.

So now that the season is over, I am seriously considering switching manufacturers. I check my history and in the 9 series that I have raced , 7 were MB. I love MB and the AMG GT is my favorite car. I have a MB bias as I have worked for a dealer for over 20 years so it’s hard to try others. I don’t think I would ever try BMW just out of habit. The two non-MB times were Ford and Chevy. I think I’ll try Dodge before they get nerfed or Aston Martin. Thoughts?

I would also like to say thanks to all of my fellow racers for coming out. There were a few bad apples but most were clean and cordial!

See you out on the track!

FIRST
I finished onehundredandFIRST in emea
8th for bmw

now when coqe leaves bmw, it will show how weak bmw actually is
but since number of bmw drivers is always high I doubt it will get boost in bop

not sure if its worth testing for exhibition because they will probably turn things upside down just before the start

Screenshot (218).png

Time for a recap

Last year my biggest achievements during the official season were finally scoring 1k points in a race and reaching DR A for the first time. I was getting ready to start using manual transmission too.

My aims this year were broadly similar, since I'd switched to a wheel last December and was still learning. My only targets were to score 100 points in at least the races that counted towards my score, and get back to my old DR high. I eventually got bored of the liveries I'd made for this year and went back to last season's.

Since the point system has changed since last year there's not much comparing I can do (or at least that I can be bothered trying to work out), but here goes:

Nations Cup

77th in the UK, 521st in EMEA with 1206 points. Last year I was 93rd in the UK and 575th in EMEA with 10293 points.

Race highlights here were:
- 162 points at Monza for a win in the Gr.4 Huracan. I had three goes at this race. The first two were a shambles, I got pole and a win in the last one.
- 163 at Dragon Trail in Gr.3. I might be mixing these up because this combo came up in Manu a few times. I got pole in this race with the sort of qualifying lap I can usually only dream about. I double-stinted whatever the softest tyre was for an extra stop that almost paid off, but I couldn't get past an AMG on the last lap, finished second by half a tenth.
- 145 points in the Fugu at Tokyo - I don't remember this one at all tbh, but still a good score.
- 161 points for finishing 3rd at Streets of Willow Springs in Gr.4. I qualified 3rd and stayed there. If ever you needed a lesson in the importance of qualifying, it was this race.
- 179 points for a win at St. Croix in the F1500T-A. What can I say about this? My best ever score at my favourite track layout in the game. I put in practice for this and it paid off, big.
- SSRX. I had 7 goes and they were all ****. I still want to race again here.
- 129 points for the X2019 at Sardegna. I had hoped to get a good result on the last day of the season, then my DR got reset midweek. I only improved on my lowest score by about four points but the physical effort of driving that thing for 35 minutes was amazing. I'm still sore this morning.

Manufacturer Series

36th for Nissan, 667th in EMEA with 1164 points. Last year I was 28th for Nissan, 563rd in EMEA with 5353 points. I'm going to attribute this dip to two things - lots of bad rounds for Nissan, and the Gr.3 car getting nerfed twice because aliens were moaning about its top speed.

Highlights here were:
- Le Mans, back at the 111% power days. I ended up with 173 points for 3rd in the final slot I did. I liked driving a fast car here on mediums tyres, and a few good performances made up for last year where I got robbed of a win (or a chance at one) by Le Mans' awful track limits.
- Gr.4 at St. Croix A was one of the most miserable experiences I've had in this game. I came out of it with 124 points, I should have done much, much better.
- 149 points at short Red Bull Ring in Gr.4. The Moses effect in a race. I ended up 5th as an assortment of Spaniards spent the race killing each other. Also notable because I was following a Mazda who pitted and put the wrong tyres on. When I saw the indictor on the relative I thought I'd misread the tyre requirements and, while driving, had to turn my monitor on, turn my wifi back on and go through the terrible Gran Turismo website to find the race details. Great fun.
- 146 points at Nurb 24. Same weekend as the 179 pointer from Nations, I put lots of practice in here. I finished 5th as a bunch of small niggly things went wrong. Worst part was, the guy who won was in a GT-R and was someone I'd beaten in the F1500 race. I never thought I'd be frustrated by 5th and 146 points at this track, but this felt like a missed opportunity.
- 146 points at Red Bull Ring. I did a Fraga on the first corner after qualifying 4th. Brought it back to 5th, but this should have been a win.

It's a shame the season ended the way it did with my DR. I have no idea what's going to happen in the upcoming off-seasons but I guess it's more of the same for me. Keep going, keep trying to maximise what I can get from good combinations for me and Nissan, keep trying to improve with the wheel. My DR only got as high as mid 37k rather than 41, but this allowed me to score record points totals. I think my highest under the new system before this season was 150 or so.

My only hope for future seasons left in GT Sport is for Gr.4 to be fixed. The GT-R is a lost cause at this point that's only ever going to be good at tracks with lots of straights and no corners where you have to carry any speed, but that's not the worst part. It's not that the GT-R is bad, it's that everything else is so much better.

Last thing to say is thanks to @Tidgney for so many streams (and getting the GT-R nerfed twice), @OutlawQuadrnt for doing so well with Nissan and the videos showing me how to drive them (and the memes), @Rangeraus for Oceania recon I can look at to see what to do, @Mistah_MCA for strategies when I couldn't be bothered practicing and @Adam Barber for liveries for the more esoteric Nations combos. I hope everyone else achieved everything they wanted to this season, and I hope your future racing is even better.

Made a few mistakes in the earlier part of the race but stayed away from all the mid pack madness of penalties. After the pit stop it was just a lone race at 8th as I couldn't get close for slip stream. GThondapround finished 6th and I needed 150pts to pass him for 1st in manufacture points in Florida but finished the race getting 128pts. Was an interesting season with a lot of ups and down and glad to have made this Gr. 3 car more competitive. Was fun racing with everyone I came across from the forum and thanks for watching my races! 👍

Top 200 for the region that qualify for 'S' rank isn't it?

I guess someone has to take the final spot
Screenshot_20200809-153906_Companion.jpg

Considering probably 90% of the time I only have one shot at the races and that I only did ten of the thirty, not a disastrous result at all

I only did 3 Nations races, 1 each season, hoping an American could beat Deafsun for the points haul. My standings are irrelevant.
In Manufacturers I only missed 3 races. Finished with 883 points, 427th in NA, 12th for Ford. I've had the honor of sharing the track with quite a few of the members here in their journeys up and down the DR scale. Most of the races were enjoyable and the memories are cherished, the ones that were not enjoyable are not remembered. I will be staying with Ford and am looking forward to doing better in the next season.

2020 GT Sport FIA Championships

Rookie Season by the numbers:
  • Events competed in: 49 out of 60 (24 Nations, 25 Mfrs)
  • Races competed in: 71 (33 Nations, 38 Manufacturers) (7 and 11 re-runs)
  • Wins: 1 (Mfrs) (1 pole position)
  • 13 top 5’s
Nations Points: 981
  • 251th in NA
  • 200th in US
  • 7th in Michigan
Mfrs Points: 1040
  • 329th in NA
  • 58th for Porsche
  • 2nd Porsche Driver in Michigan
Podiums: 6 (3 Nations, 3 Mfrs)
  • Average Finishing position: 9th
  • Average finishing position: -0.5 from starting position
Average DR Rank in races: 11th
  • (Every Door # except 2 and 20!)
  • Raced finished above DR: about 70%
Started Season at 23k DR
Ended Season at 35k DR after losing 2k in the final two events!
Average DR during season: 30k

Best FIA points: 145 (Nations: Gr4 at DTG, 3rd) 142 (Manufacturers: Gr3 at Spa, 4th)
Average FIA points per round (all): 98
Average FIA pts per round (top 8): 123 (118 Nations, 128 Mfrs)

My best tracks turned out to be:
  • Spa: 4.5 in four races
  • Sardegna: 5.0 in four races
  • Dragon Trail: 6.25 in four races
  • Suzuka: 7.2 in four races
My worst tracks were:
  • Nurburgring GP: 16th in three races
  • Fuji: 13.7 in three races
Did slightly better with Gr.4 races overall, compared to Gr.3, 8.3 finishing position vs 8.6, in both series... but overall pretty balanced between the two. It was the one-makes and special races that brought my average down.

Really enjoyed my first season of the FIAGTC. The competition is fantastic-- really motivated to get better the more I played. Ran out of momentum in Stage 3 of the Nations Cup races, but was going strong in the Manufacturer's Series at the same time, so not too disappointed with how things turned out.

Also managed to get the Alt account up to 2nd in state for the Manufacturers Series, even with just 8 races run, and by the end was racing in some overlapping lobbies with my main account, so it was good competition as well, just for fun in another car.

Thanks to all the good ones here and in the game that make it fun, sporting, and challenging. And really thanks for the fellowship here on the forum... made the season much more rewarding to share it with all of you here. Been a lot of fun to share the grid with you all, including @Lewmatic, @afc5150, @CurbHog, @Razgriz2118, @Keith2324, @Odiesback ... and anyone else I missed... and thanks again, @Jwptexas for convincing me to run the season... I had no intention but glad you suggested it. Would be great to share some racing with you guys in the UK and EU as well, it's a shame we can only share the fun here on GT Planet, but thanks to you and the Oceana region guys for sharing what to expect in those earlier time zone races... it's a great help!

:gtpflag:

While I was looking forward to a break (and my family was probably hoping as well) I'm sure I won't be able to stay away for the 2020/2021 Exhibition Series... targeting that Star Player rating, though it's a long shot at my current pace and DR. Good luck to all there and see you again as that gets going!

4756373028326113796_0.jpg

Gonna peel those yellow rookie stripes off now!

7422500637847322640_0.jpg

8151542826822270984_0.jpg

FIRST
I finished onehundredandFIRST in emea
8th for bmw

now when coqe leaves bmw, it will show how weak bmw actually is
but since number of bmw drivers is always high I doubt it will get boost in bop

not sure if its worth testing for exhibition because they will probably turn things upside down just before the start

View attachment 947915
Similarly with Haywood effectively carrying BMW on his back here in NA.

Honestly BMW is in a frustrating spot right now. The M6 is competitive almost everywhere as long as it's dry. On long straights it falls on its face around 160mph, but if you can manage the wheelspin it can perform really well on mixed circuits. Conversely the M4 has always struggled with power understeer and snap oversteer under braking which the most recent BoP didn't help out at all by giving it 13 extra pounds for no reason. If they tweaked the diff accel setting it might be savable.

Overall I was able to hold onto a good result for this season exclusively because of my performance in Stages 1 & 2. Stage 3 was a complete washout. Since next season is an exhibition I'll just be trying out one of the MR options to see how I fare with that drivetrain since the last three seasons have been FR for me.

upload_2020-8-9_11-49-4.png
upload_2020-8-9_11-48-44.png

Will end this with my favorite shot of the season with the photo finish between @Winnie847 and myself.

8079538000367715344_0.jpg

My results from this season:

Manufacturer:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 10.50.28 AM.png

Nation:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.29.34 AM.png

I met my goal of finishing in the Top 100 in the Manufacturer's Championship, and had the honor of being #1 for Chevy in our home state. I never really set a goal for Nations aside from doing well in the Gr. 1 and open wheel races. While my open wheel races were all great, sadly I ultimately didn't score any points that counted in Gr. 1, with my result last round knocking out the higher of my Gr. 1 scores.

Also, in spite of racing in every round in the first stage in Manufacturer's, not a single round from that stage counted towards my final points tally.

My final results.

full

full

Joined the season about halfway through, so that meant less opportunities to earn points, especially since I mostly only have time for FIA on the weekends. Overall, this season was a mixed bag for me. Had great races like the F1500T-A at St. Croix C to having my races ruined before they even started like yesterday and the BMW M3 one-make at Mount Panorama, and everything in between.

Now to get my ratings sorted before the exhibition season, starting with getting out of SR hell. :lol:

My season review:

Nations Cup

Rounds entered: 13 out of 30
Wins: 1 (Round 30)
Pole Positions: 3
Top 5 finishes: 9

Total points: 1273
Best score: 194 (Round 30)
Regional rank: 138th

Screenshot_20200809-151407_Chrome.jpg

Manufacturers Series

Rounds entered: 11 out of 30
Wins: 0
Pole Positions: 0
Top 5 finishes: 6

Total points: 1264
Best score: 185 (Round 28)
Regional rank: 205th
Manufacturer rank: 5th (McLaren)

Screenshot_20200809-151437_Chrome.jpg

Final thoughts

My goals for this official season was to remain in A-rank throughout the season, staying away from B and making progress with my DR. I wanted to have 8 solid rounds on each championship.

In the end, not only I managed to achieve my goals, but I finished the season with 44.1k DR, by far the highest I've had. And with a great final stage, I just managed to sneek in the qualifying criteria for star player rank on both championships! :) While I had already done that in an exhibition season at the end of last year, I never thought it was possible for me to get there in an official season, with all the aliens taking part! So really happy about that! :cool: Only got to McLaren top 5 after round 29 and to Nations top 140 after yesterday's win.

Special thanks to @Mistah_MCA for his amazing strategy guides and all GTP members I shared lobbies with! :cheers:

My final results for this season:

Manufacturer's:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200809113525.jpg

I wasn't able to utilize the Cayman's full potential after the first BoP update, and but I was still able to pull some solid results with it. And the 911 RSR was always a trusty, reliable car, just not on the straights. But I achieved two race wins in Manufacturer's this season, one in both cars. Considering I only participated in around 2/3rds of the races, I think I was able to produce a solid result.

Nations:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200809113610.jpg

I had some extremely good races and results since we had more freedom to choose cars, which also meant I was a bit more selective on what I participated in, since I missed 13 of the rounds. Still though, I achieved 1 win, and I got some pretty high points totals.

This was the first season I ever participated in. It wasn't even intentional - I was supposed to study abroad this semester, but the pandemic had me stay at home, and with no school semester, I needed to focus my energy on something and decided to indulge on sim racing, something I haven't been able to enjoy for years. I'm extremely pleased with my results because, as a kid, I always like racing games and played GT3 and GT4 to death, but I never knew how good I was. Now that I have these objective measurements, it helps address the imposter syndrome I feel when it comes to racing. Being 2nd in my state, 79th in the US, and 103rd in the Americas for Nations and 1st in my state, 22nd for Porsche, and 156th in North America for Manufacturer's is far higher than I thought I could achieve. I went from around 27k DR to 45k DR over the course of this season, a DR that I didn't think I had in me. I'm still hoping to break the 45k DR ceiling and become A+ one day, but that's a goal for the upcoming seasons.

I'm glad I found this forum because I really appreciate and love the camaraderie here. Most of my friends don't play GT Sport, so it was nice being able to talk about the championships and racing with like-minded people and getting to know fellow GT Sport players. Getting to race with @Jwptexas , @KosmoKazi , @GTWolverine , @Winnie847 , @Granadier , @Master Weasel , @CJam , @csmirnoff , and many of the other regular faces I saw in the lobbies that aren't in this forum has been a blast, and getting to talk with everyone here on the forum has been fantastic. And I have to give a very special thanks to @Mistah_MCA for his guides, because I've been using them as my Bible for strategy and getting better lap times.

I want to take part in the upcoming Exhibition Season and future FIA Championships, but I'm not sure if I will since the next semester will be starting again in 2 weeks. If so though, I look forward to continuing to race and talk with all of you!

After about 200 miles between the two Mazda Gr. 3 cars, I am sold. And it's a Gr. 3 car I feel I can get comfortable and race (something I just never managed to do with Ferrari). Really wish we could have a MX-5 in Gr. 4 though. Have to bump the power up, like, a lot, but think about it?

After about 200 miles between the two Mazda Gr. 3 cars, I am sold. And it's a Gr. 3 car I feel I can get comfortable and race (something I just never managed to do with Ferrari). Really wish we could have a MX-5 in Gr. 4 though. Have to bump the power up, like, a lot, but think about it?

which one? Atenza or VGT?

which one? Atenza or VGT?

Do I have to pick one? Or can I run either or, depending on circuit? Because I really can't pick one or the other. Though, most laps I ran where at Brands Hatch, and my best lap was in the VGT by almost half a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back