FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Qual on pole, keep everyone behind you? ;)

I ran a test using the race settings and I did 10 laps easily on softs but then started feeling the wear quite badly, and I did 20 laps on mediums before the wear became a problem.

Didn't test wear on hards because I got so far on mediums. This is in the Corvette without conserving tyres at all.

A stop takes like 10 seconds, so pitting fewer times is going to matter a lot.

During the last several FIA races, my network connection status was on yellow bars, while most of the field was 4 green, some even 5 green bars.

I run a ethernet line to my PS4 (it's not on wifi), and have a 200Mbps service that tests at that every time. The ping is between 10-20 most times.

I typically don't have the problem when running daily races.

This is also usually later at night when no one else is using the wifi in the house, and the conditions should be ideal to get the five solid green bars. I can't understand why there is any problem.

Is there something that I can do to make this better? It drives me mad and I also think it may make it harder to compete in tougher lobbies.

I've heard that FIA events are hosted on a dedicated server, so I'm not sure if that's why it is a problem on my end (when it normally isn't) but it doesn't really make sense that it would be worse.

Had another few goes last night and did well with 3 podiums in a row until the last race, where I binned it twice and collected about 10 seconds of penalties due to being dozy/unlucky. I was too tired but was really enjoying the racing after a long time off.

On to the Manu and I’ve gone with McLaren this time. It was between them and Lexus but I’d never driven the McLarens so thought why not. I gave both cars a practice around Suzuka and they felt very nice which had me wondering why I’d never used one before.

Been doing a little practicing for Tsubuka and got my time to within a second of the top 10 for the region. It’s a ridiculously short circuit but it has a nice flow in the Gr.3 McLaren.

Yup, I was happy going up 5 places, and like you said, I got all of those just from not messing up in that race. I could've definitely gotten 5th had I been able to get past the slow person, but like I said, I just cannot pass anyone with this track and class combo. I'm used to passing at T3 and T4 (or T2 and T3 depending on what you count as a turn on this track), but I have a hard time following through T1 due to the combination of slipstreaming along the front straight and then getting dirty air for the corner, and usually because i get put onto the back foot after T1 I'm too far away to be able to catch up by T3 for a move into T4.

Also, I'm glad that 0.5s penalty you had wasn't from me, when I bump drafted you I wanted to signal to you that I wanted to work with you to catch the people ahead, but the penalty thing flashed right after I did that. Congrats on the 4th!
You described my issues with overtaking as well. I could actually follow other cars pretty well for the rest of the lap, but I lost so much time in T1, so I was never in a position to overtake in Turn 2/3. Even when in clean air, I could never take T1 the same way on consecutive laps.

Any tips on strategy for Tsukuba? I am racing it later today in our private league and have no idea about it. My Viper is like a truck on that track...
Have done a couple of full race practices. Hard to work out best strategy so far as really need to try more and don't have the time. Did a 4 stop 10S/10S/10S/6M/1H which ended up being 8 seconds faster than when i did a 2 stop 12S/15M/9H (can't quite remember exactly how long i stayed on the mediums and hards but know i did 12 on the softs! :lol:). Roughly a 34 minute race at my pace.

Last edited:
During the last several FIA races, my network connection status was on yellow bars, while most of the field was 4 green, some even 5 green bars.

I run a ethernet line to my PS4 (it's not on wifi), and have a 200Mbps service that tests at that every time. The ping is between 10-20 most times.

I typically don't have the problem when running daily races.

This is also usually later at night when no one else is using the wifi in the house, and the conditions should be ideal to get the five solid green bars. I can't understand why there is any problem.

Is there something that I can do to make this better? It drives me mad and I also think it may make it harder to compete in tougher lobbies.

I've heard that FIA events are hosted on a dedicated server, so I'm not sure if that's why it is a problem on my end (when it normally isn't) but it doesn't really make sense that it would be worse.
The problem could be at any point on the internet between you and the FIA server. Based on similar problems a number of people have been reporting, there's something going on between Florida/Georgia and Kentucky/West Virginia that's reducing connection quality between the deep south and the north east of the US over the last three weeks. It's been getting slowly better slowly but is not back to full service yet. It seems to have started when some big storms came through that part of the country three to four weeks ago.

You described my issues with overtaking as well. I could actually follow other cars pretty well for the rest of the lap, but I lost so much time in T1, so I was never in a position to overtake in Turn 2/3. Even when in clean air, I could never take T1 the same way on consecutive laps.
T1 was the only corner that I seemed to be able to gain an advantage on anyone... I found that if you came off throttle early (at the shadow) and braked a little earlier, you could get on the throttle earlier and well before the hard apex. This spooled up the turbo and allowed you to really get off that corner fast... I could gain 0.2 on most people behind me, which I needed every bit of because I could not get a grip on any of the remaining corners every lap!

But even at that, it's true that I could also not get enough of a run up to T2 to make a pass, as the aero wash prevented you from making a good late brake pass. So at best, you could try to get a run up the hill but the only place I could earn a pass was into T3... and again there, it was not via late braking with these cars, but early braking and clean launches off the apex. Those were few and far between for me... but that's the only place I could even consider a pass. And most of those passes were only temporary as I eventually conceded my position to the same drivers later on.

The problem could be at any point on the internet between you and the FIA server. Based on similar problems a number of people have been reporting, there's something going on between Florida/Georgia and Kentucky/West Virginia that's reducing connection quality between the deep south and the north east of the US over the last three weeks. It's been getting slowly better slowly but is not back to full service yet. It seems to have started when some big storms came through that part of the country three to four weeks ago.

This might make sense, as I didn't have a problem before. I was so happy once I got my ethernet line in, to take that variable out...

The only other issue is that the PS4 seems to decide on occasion to use the same time as I'm racing to make some background updated, consuming too much of the bandwidth to the PSN... which is annoying. But it can't be that this is what's happening every race the last couple of weeks. Your explanation makes sense... anyone else in Michigan seeing the issue?

Is there something that I can do to make this better?
Set yourself a static IP address for the console, and put it into the router's DMZ.
The US server is in Ashburn, Virginia. That's not a huge distance, in internet terms (about 20ms), but if there's issues over that side of the country it may affect things.

T1 was the only corner that I seemed to be able to gain an advantage on anyone... I found that if you came off throttle early (at the shadow) and braked a little earlier, you could get on the throttle earlier and well before the hard apex. This spooled up the turbo and allowed you to really get off that corner fast... I could gain 0.2 on most people behind me, which I needed every bit of because I could not get a grip on any of the remaining corners every lap!

But even at that, it's true that I could also not get enough of a run up to T2 to make a pass, as the aero wash prevented you from making a good late brake pass. So at best, you could try to get a run up the hill but the only place I could earn a pass was into T3... and again there, it was not via late braking with these cars, but early braking and clean launches off the apex. Those were few and far between for me... but that's the only place I could even consider a pass. And most of those passes were only temporary as I eventually conceded my position to the same drivers later on.
I hadn't even considered trying to spool the turbos for the exit, but I probably would've just spun had I tried that. As for T2, basically the only way to overtake there if you weren't already fully alongside someone was to send it up the inside and use up the entire track and force the car on the outside to yield, even if they were still fairly alongside you. Even though I had that done to me several times in my first race, I didn't really want to drive like that.

I hadn't even considered trying to spool the turbos for the exit, but I probably would've just spun had I tried that. As for T2, basically the only way to overtake there if you weren't already fully alongside someone was to send it up the inside and use up the entire track and force the car on the outside to yield, even if they were still fairly alongside you. Even though I had that done to me several times in my first race, I didn't really want to drive like that.

I hear you. The only pass I really made last night was like that, but it's easy enough to defend. P2 was able to keep a small gap for a few laps, and was with a couple of tenths for a few laps in a row. I took the inside line to the corner early, and made it clear that he had to go wide if he wanted to pass me. It slowed me down on the exit, but not nearly as much braking a little late and missing the apex by trying to go wide. Outside the racing line is awful at that corner.

Edit: I also had the benefit of not having a lot of traffic. P3/P4 took pens the first lap and held up traffic for us so it was just the 2 of us.

Have done a couple of full race practices. Hard to work out best strategy so far as really need to try more and don't have the time. Did a 3 stop 10S/10S/10S/6M/1H which ended up being 8 seconds faster than when i did a 2 stop 12S/15M/9H (can't quite remember exactly how long i stayed on the mediums and hards but know i did 12 on the softs! :lol:). Roughly a 34 minute race at my pace.

I ran a 13S-12M-12H in the Viper and got a time of 34:20 as a mid-high B rank. I went wide on the 3rd hairpin on my in-lap on Mediums and felt pretty slow on anything but Softs. Considering how hard it is to overtake in Tsukuba, two-stop is probably the way to go. I’m not mad enough to try the one-stop.

I ran a 13S-12M-12H in the Viper and got a time of 34:20 as a mid-high B rank. I went wide on the 3rd hairpin on my in-lap on Mediums and felt pretty slow on anything but Softs. Considering how hard it is to overtake in Tsukuba, two-stop is probably the way to go. I’m not mad enough to try the one-stop.
Ran 34:02 with the 4 stop losing to the AI car :lol: Low 34 second laps on mediums, 53s on the Softs.
EC1CC1D9-7A8A-4C59-B1BE-362AA09EABCA.jpeg

90B0776B-6553-4B18-B327-1955F4B439E8.jpeg

Was 34:10 with the 2 stop.

Traffic is going to be massive factor!!

Last edited:
Managed to get 53.5 in Tsukuba with S tyres after practicing a lot. It's actually only 2sec slower than the top 10 times so far, which is a huge surprise for me. Watched the fastest lap and the guy was very aggressive, lots of slides while getting into the corners.

The only problem for me so far is the last turn, I still didn't find a way to do it correctly. I can already see myself going out there during the race.

Last edited:
Also, I'm glad that 0.5s penalty you had wasn't from me, when I bump drafted you I wanted to signal to you that I wanted to work with you to catch the people ahead, but the penalty thing flashed right after I did that. Congrats on the 4th!
It was probably a good thing you didn't stay behind me for too long, because I would've slowed both of us down. Based on your practice and qualifying time, you were slightly faster than me in general, but the Hard tires were especially difficult for me to be fast with.

So, back with impressions after our Tsukuba race. I think that both 2 stop and 3 stops are viable as long as you can avoid traffic. Top four we were 2 of us with 3 stops and 2 with two stops. I was 4th, did a 12S-11S-13M-1H after I started 3rd. The Viper is a bit of a handful on this track when you are racing, you need to downshift to 1 in the hairpins and upshift again to 2 in acceleration zones after to make it turn. From what I have seen the Aston and the AMG(which won the race) felt more comfortable and were easier on the tyres.

Today we were just 11 in the lobby, so not too crowded - but I will expect a bit of chaos on Saturday even in the lobbies at my level(40k DR). Definitely I will do just 1 slot, try to get a decent result and then stop, don't want to bleed DR on a race where my car is not strong.

Was not able yet to participate in the Manu series but will make my debut at Tsukuba tomorrow, expect it will be carnage.....
Many have chosen Dodge, Aston Martin, Audi or Porsche so decided to do something different and give Peugeot a try. Will I regret it?
In any case, made a simple livery design:

upload_2020-9-11_11-57-43.png

Going to be a major mental drain doing 37 laps of Tsukuba whilst racing for real. :eek:

Done a few practice runs trying to get consistency and some good muscle memory for trailbraking into the hairpins, currently looking at ~33:45 with a 18M/4H/15S 2-stop. I think that should be pretty good pace for low A/S?

I'm hoping this is a good round for the Mitsubishi in the midst of all the power circuits this season...

Bit late with this but anyways, managed a stonking last sector on my quali lap (surprised even myself) which saw me jump right to the front of the field at the death. Unfortunately I made some mistakes which dropped me down the field and then later on I was hit off by a laggy car (see radar) and that was that. A bit of a missed opportunity in the end

Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back