FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
However I was in the lower tiers for my first race at Monza back in June and have practiced a bit since then but perhaps this is a question I should save but my prediction based on previous Grp4 races at Monza is Bugatti Veyron one make should be my expectations for that track?

Monza my biggest aim is to survive Turn 1 carnage, if I can squeeze through that ahead then to quote Sergio from Road Rash "What is behind me I do not care about" as I know the rest of the track like the back of my hand now.

I don't have time to do both Manu and Nations and I've already picked Nations.

I'm not overly keen on another Monza penalty festival but whatever. I think most players will find Gr4 easier to handle compared to the Red Bull so that might reduce some of the light touch penalty gifting. Fingers crossed. I'll be using the Veyron with the ghostbusters livery (found it) busting ghosts in turn 1 and anywhere else they appear on track.

So will you guys be using the Veyron for sure? I don't really like it, even though it's OP, I don't race well with it through corners. When the Veyron is the META car I usually try to find one that is comparable and use it instead. I've had pretty decent luck with the Aston Martin and sometimes the Lexus (Gr.4) on tracks like Tokyo East. The Viper doesn't quite have the top-end to catch the Veyron, even when slipstreaming.

Any other suggestions for crazy top-end cars that don't handle like crap? I'm not very experienced with the Gr.4 Corvette, but I think it's fast.......?

s points aren't officially updated until 1am anyway, all total race times are stored in the background and no points are done on lobby strength. This means if a lower rated driver e.g. D does very well in their race split they have the potential to earn much more points. Also means A+ drivers who finish in the bottom half of the grid have their points decided by race time not necessarily the fact they finished 20th and get 0 (Even though they would have got e.g. 1,000 in a lower split lobby). You are therefore racing everyone not just your split. Also means you don't have to pick the most popular times. Where you finish in total race time order then decides points (I suppose the amount of points could be based on the amount that raced or some other factor e.g. 5,000 raced so 1st gets 5,000, 2nd 4,999 and so on

Not gonna lie Tidge this is one of the worst suggestions I've ever read :lol:

Watch everyone try and tank their ratings just so they get an 'easy' lobby and drive off into the distance for a 20 odd minute time trial without worrying about anyone else on track, kinda goes against everything racing stands for! Having a base score for top split (current system+500 for example) would help a little bit at least in addressing the problem of lower split guys outscoring top A+ drivers even if they are seconds off the pace. You'd easily win a Gr4 race in that Peugeot in a DR A lobby ;)

8 months between launch and FIA starting so more than enough time for people to have built DR. If I went and started an iRacing account tomorrow I wouldn't expect to be in top split races in their major championships inside a month (or at all :lol:).

would promote clean racing as if you make a mistake and divebomb, or cause issues there's potential of you losing hundreds of points because you're not just racing people in your lobby.

Or alternatively people will get even more frustrated being held up by someone and more likely to just try and barge their way past by any means before the race time loss gets too much.

I usually set my rooms as friends only and I've had one or two drop by from time to time. I suppose I can open it up. I'm in the West Coast but I'm usually doing practice between 5-7pm.

Dirty air throws me off the first few laps. It's especially bad if a ton of aliens flood the room and I'm mired deep in the midpack.

I don't usually get on till after 8pm eastern, so that works out perfect for me too. Not sure if I can get on tonight, but tomorrow night I'll look for your room, and if you don't have one I'll create my own. Thanks!

Not gonna lie Tidge this is one of the worst suggestions I've ever read :lol:

Watch everyone try and tank their ratings just so they get an 'easy' lobby and drive off into the distance for a 20 odd minute time trial without worrying about anyone else on track, kinda goes against everything racing stands for! Having a base score for top split (current system+500 for example) would help a little bit at least in addressing the problem of lower split guys outscoring top A+ drivers even if they are seconds off the pace. You'd easily win a Gr4 race in that Peugeot in a DR A lobby ;)

8 months between launch and FIA starting so more than enough time for people to have built DR. If I went and started an iRacing account tomorrow I wouldn't expect to be in top split races in their major championships inside a month (or at all :lol:).

Or alternatively people will get even more frustrated being held up by someone and more likely to just try and barge their way past by any means before the race time loss gets too much.

I'm full of bad and good ideas haha, as I say I just get them out there and like to see other ideas to! I kind of was hoping other people would post there ideas alas, it failed :(. I agree though I think people would tank SRs so that would need to be solved if they ever went down that route as it's currently legal to do that in the current rules because it gains nothing! To be honest I'd just want to see the best racing, I'd hate to see anyone miss out say if you won every top split race and then didn't make it because of lobby strength I just think it would suck, like really suck. Likewise I hate people losing out in our splits getting 0 points for coming 20th? Could be the fastest, strongest lobby in history, someone has to come last and they get 0? I just find that bonkers! It might just put people off racing and then we end up with something small and nobody being bothered about it :(, kind of don't want that to happen for GT...

Maybe I should stop buying limited edition games, everyone one I've bought recently has meant a game lacking something... Next one I'm buying standard only!

Checkout the footage from Saturday's Nations race (6pm PST, 2nd to last slot). I qualified 3rd in a room full of S and A+ drivers, and was hoping for a clean race, but was punted off the track on lap1 turn4 when it appears he didn't bother to brake for the turn. You can see that on the following lap he did brake way before the 50ft marker, not so on lap1. What do you guys think? (video length is just over 1 minute for your convenience).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't usually get on till after 8pm eastern, so that works out perfect for me too. Not sure if I can get on tonight, but tomorrow night I'll look for your room, and if you don't have one I'll create my own. Thanks!
I'll extend the invitation to anyone that isn't planning to run backwards on the track or divebomb on every corner. FIA lobby. FIA standards of driving. :lol:
I'm full of bad and good ideas haha, as I say I just get them out there and like to see other ideas to! I kind of was hoping other people would post there ideas alas, it failed :(. I agree though I think people would tank SRs so that would need to be solved if they ever went down that route as it's currently legal to do that in the current rules because it gains nothing! To be honest I'd just want to see the best racing, I'd hate to see anyone miss out say if you won every top split race and then didn't make it because of lobby strength I just think it would suck, like really suck. Likewise I hate people losing out in our splits getting 0 points for coming 20th? Could be the fastest, strongest lobby in history, someone has to come last and they get 0? I just find that bonkers! It might just put people off racing and then we end up with something small and nobody being bothered about it :(, kind of don't want that to happen for GT...

Maybe I should stop buying limited edition games, everyone one I've bought recently has meant a game lacking something... Next one I'm buying standard only!
Any idea one could come up with is going to have its advantages and drawbacks. One of the big hurdles, I believe, is that we all live in different time zones and have different schedules. That in of itself can dictate lobby strength by limiting hours certain people can actually race or being unable to raise their DR which, in turn, bumps up the total points in a room.

In my mind, the ideal setup would require everyone to be able to race at one specific hour in a specific region. You can set your qualifying time 24 hours before the event on your own but you only get one ten minute session to do it. Once everyone joins, rooms are split off based on qualifying times. Fastest is pole for room 1, 2nd fastest is pole for room 2, and eventually, x fastest is 2nd for room 1 and so on. Points would be fixed in this scenario. Obviously, this wouldn't work in practice but I like to think it's better at spreading out the talent so that the fields are more equal.

Perhaps not your best idea lol, but you did address what I think are important issues that desperately need attention.
I totally agree that racers in the bottom half of the top splits deserve more points. It's definitely discouraging if not completely off-putting. If they offered base points for the top split rooms (something based on overall DR in the lobby to be fair) then I'd be happy with that.
And if only we could find a way to make drivers a bit more considerate towards the flow of the race and other drivers... There really is an unnecessary amount of aggression on track, ESPECIALLY on the opening laps. Too many times have I been divebombed unexpectedly while being patient behind traffic, and if you yield to that person then everyone else wants to have a go :( and if you don't yield then you end up in a pointless exchange until you lose the front half of the field and one (or both) of you end up in the barrier with a penalty :irked:
Don't get me wrong... I love a good scrap. But sometimes we need to choose our battles a bit more carefully.

*EDIT*
In my mind, the ideal setup would require everyone to be able to race at one specific hour in a specific region. You can set your qualifying time 24 hours before the event on your own but you only get one ten minute session to do it. Once everyone joins, rooms are split off based on qualifying times. Fastest is pole for room 1, 2nd fastest is pole for room 2, and eventually, x fastest is 2nd for room 1 and so on. Points would be fixed in this scenario. Obviously, this wouldn't work in practice but I like to think it's better at spreading out the talent so that the fields are more equal.

I gotta say I like this idea a lot. Especially the solo qualifying lol. It's so hard to get a bit of clean track... And the allotted time should vary somewhat based on the length of the course to allow for a stop and reasonable number of laps (like at Bathurst or la sarthe for example)

Last edited:
Checkout the footage from Saturday's Nations race (6pm PST, 2nd to last slot). I qualified 3rd in a room full of S and A+ drivers, and was hoping for a clean race, but was punted off the track on lap1 turn4 when it appears he didn't bother to brake for the turn. You can see that on the following lap he did brake way before the 50ft marker, not so on lap1. What do you guys think? (video length is just over 1 minute for your convenience).

It looks more like lag to me

e.g. look at me at the front here, it basically doesn't get new information for a few seconds so just keeps doing what you were already doing

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks more like lag to me

e.g. look at me at the front here, it basically doesn't get new information for a few seconds so just keeps doing what you were already doing

I thought it might be lag as well, but watching the rest of his race, I didn't see any other spot where he lagged. Oh! I see where Matty lagged and went off track, then magically came back on. In the vid I posted, I didn't see the opponent car magically shift back, it just kind of hit my car, slowed, and continued fairly smoothly on its merry way.

Last edited:
I thought it might be lag as well, but watching the rest of his race, I didn't see any other spot where he lagged. Oh! I see where Matty lagged and went off track, then magically came back on. In the vid I posted, I didn't see the opponent car magically shift back, it just kind of hit my car, slowed, and continued fairly smoothly on its merry way.
Well to me his movement just after impact looks like lag and the way he was moving side to side very slightly all the way up the straight until just before impact and then he was dead straight and the way he didn't go wide at all or go to slow he took the corner perfectly just after. It's happened at such a bad moment and for only a short time so it's hard to be 100% sure though. What did he say after race?

Here's my idea while working within what we know about season 3. So really just looking at current rules and Season 3 unknowns. Going backwards...

Round 10 Final Top 24 - Top 24 that enter based on top 5 results from current season and falling within the already defined Nations/Manufacturers limitations. 2000 base points.

Round 8 Top 24 - Top 24 that enter based on top 4 results from current season and falling within the already defined Nations/manufacturers limitations. Also only available to those that didn't enter Round 6 Top 24 race. 1500 base points.

Round 6 Top 24 - Top 24 that enter based on top 3 results from current season and falling within the already defined Nations/manufacturers limitations. 1500 base points.

Reasoning:
  • Base points (actual numbers might need adjusting) for Top 24. Not high enough to make the bottom finishers out of reach compared to non-Top 24 drivers, but high enough to replace 1 bad race they might have. High enough to give a solid reward to the top 2/3rds of the field and count as one of their highest point totals.
  • Top 24 Round 6 based on best 3 of 5, and Top 24 Round 8 on best 4 of 5 races, to allow for a blue screen or bad race and still able to get into higher points races.
  • Can't enter both Round 6 and 8 Top 24 races, allows 48 drivers to enter a non-final Top 24 race to keep more drivers involved and not be eliminated after round 6.

Ah, I see. So it seems like for this season, I could enter four events, then hypothetically skip two events, and still use two other events to potentially further improve my counted scores if I didn't do so well on a previous event. Right?
Spot on :)
But what about the real-world events? Are the potential entrants for those events going to be drawn from the players with really high rankings just in the last season?
Yes, from what I understand in the current format, only DR S players are eligible for real-world events

nothing.

immediately after the race I asked who punted me on lap1 turn4, there was no response.

I looked in my replay, it did not hit you, but your car reacts as if there was a touch.
And on the last lap he passed through my car without being like a ghost, very strange.
Maybe LAG. Sorry for the english, google tradutor :)

20180710_040651.gif

So will you guys be using the Veyron for sure? I don't really like it, even though it's OP, I don't race well with it through corners. When the Veyron is the META car I usually try to find one that is comparable and use it instead. I've had pretty decent luck with the Aston Martin and sometimes the Lexus (Gr.4) on tracks like Tokyo East. The Viper doesn't quite have the top-end to catch the Veyron, even when slipstreaming.

Any other suggestions for crazy top-end cars that don't handle like crap? I'm not very experienced with the Gr.4 Corvette, but I think it's fast.......?

I am only speculating it will be the Veyron from past Monza races at Grp 4 class and I have not raced the Aston Martin so cannot really compare it to the Veyron.

Currently the free practic boards are filled with the Veyron so I think that tell's it's own story.

The Corvette is quite an acceptable car but for me it tends to be a bit uncontrollable in the high speed chicane corners and I tend to spin out a lot but if you are good at control then I'd suggest there's no harm in using it.

Veyron is probably the fastest, and probably the strongest on fuel saving. It is the fuel saving that will make it basically untouchable. Cars like the Aston, Lexus, Corvette, Mustang and even the Meganne will be competitive (In the right hands), but all will be blasted by the fuel saving capability of the Veyron.

It's the problem with Le Mans, Monza and Tokyo East Outer Loop, that if you are in the wrong car you are basically ****ed

Holy crap! I wish this would have been changed before I screwed my SR rating last night. Oh well, a few clean races will fix it. This definitely makes the upcoming FIA races at Monza and Blue Moon more appealing.

“Changes
 ・ Players with Driver Rating (DR) 'A' or higher will no longer be judged under stricter collision criteria, but will be judged under the same criteria as for players with DR ratings lower than 'A';
 ・ Light contacts between cars will no longer result in penalties;
 ・ The amount of seconds issued for a Time Penalty will be lowered.”

Nobody will be afraid to make an overtake, defend, or touch the rear bumper to follow the train now. This goes for any FIA race, because many races have become rather stale.
I can guarantee you that a lot friends from my real racing bubble will want to start playing this.
For those with let's say a 'high racing IQ,' the changes should be a massive advantage.

I'll extend the invitation to anyone that isn't planning to run backwards on the track or divebomb on every corner. FIA lobby. FIA standards of driving. :lol:
Any idea one could come up with is going to have its advantages and drawbacks. One of the big hurdles, I believe, is that we all live in different time zones and have different schedules. That in of itself can dictate lobby strength by limiting hours certain people can actually race or being unable to raise their DR which, in turn, bumps up the total points in a room.

O for sure, any idea will have advantages and disadvantages, most people don't like my idea so I consider it a bad one based off that, but that's why I put stuff out there haha :).

Ye the perfect solutions is everyone to be able to race at the same time :(, damn having to work haha! Kind of like the qualifying idea as slipstream can be a pain on some tracks to be honest, although some times apart of me loves how hectic qualifying can be, absolutely no idea why though haha!

Here's my idea while working within what we know about season 3. So really just looking at current rules and Season 3 unknowns. Going backwards...

Round 10 Final Top 24 - Top 24 that enter based on top 5 results from current season and falling within the already defined Nations/Manufacturers limitations. 2000 base points.

Round 8 Top 24 - Top 24 that enter based on top 4 results from current season and falling within the already defined Nations/manufacturers limitations. Also only available to those that didn't enter Round 6 Top 24 race. 1500 base points.

Round 6 Top 24 - Top 24 that enter based on top 3 results from current season and falling within the already defined Nations/manufacturers limitations. 1500 base points.

Reasoning:
  • Base points (actual numbers might need adjusting) for Top 24. Not high enough to make the bottom finishers out of reach compared to non-Top 24 drivers, but high enough to replace 1 bad race they might have. High enough to give a solid reward to the top 2/3rds of the field and count as one of their highest point totals.
  • Top 24 Round 6 based on best 3 of 5, and Top 24 Round 8 on best 4 of 5 races, to allow for a blue screen or bad race and still able to get into higher points races.
  • Can't enter both Round 6 and 8 Top 24 races, allows 48 drivers to enter a non-final Top 24 race to keep more drivers involved and not be eliminated after round 6.

That's a nice change, I hate the fact you have to race every round to make the first top 24 and that can effectively decide the top 3 straight away! Definitely feel like they need to make this more casual as you've done. Although personally if it isn't being streamed they should remove top 24 superstars and keep it standard. I do hope they stream season 3 top 24's as it would be nice to follow what is happening with some drivers before regional finals.

As annoying as the penalties for light contact were I really hope we don't go fully back to the old system where just barging past someone didn't trigger a penalty, as that would make things a lot worse than they are now. Hopefully it's a slight easing of the speed differential algorithm and needing all 4 wheels to be off the track to trigger the 10 second penalty rather than just 1 as we've seen recently.

Nobody will be afraid to make an overtake, defend, or touch the rear bumper to follow the train now. This goes for any FIA race, because many races have become rather stale.
I can guarantee you that a lot friends from my real racing bubble will want to start playing this.
For those with let's say a 'high racing IQ,' the changes should be a massive advantage.

Surely those with a 'high racing IQ' should be able to overtake and defend without contact? Also you haven't played the game in 2 months so how do you know the FIA racing has gone stale? I've had some great racing recently, and it appears like more people are racing now as even some 2nd split timeslots have been fully A+

This is going to be a trainwreck, In B DR the penalties let you get away with actual murder right now, and they are saying even less strict than that?

PD knows no middle ground... :rolleyes:

This is going to be a trainwreck, In B DR the penalties let you get away with actual murder right now, and they are saying even less strict than that?

PD knows no middle ground... :rolleyes:

They didn't actually say the penalties for A/A+ drivers would now be the same as the ones B drivers can currently get, or that B drivers will get the same harsher penalties A's now get, only that they'll all be judged the same way now, which should have always been the case. Maybe they have decreased the harshness for A drivers slightly but increased it for B and below to make it the same for every rank to try to get to that middle ground it so desperately needs but we will have to wait and see on this.

Of course I get that this was never much of a problem in the FIA stuff, as you won't face lower rated drivers there, so if you don't race the dailies and I know most of the top guys like you don't, you never really ran into the problems this unbalance caused and are just worried about the new system ruining the good racing you'd normally get and that is very understandable. :cool:

Surely those with a 'high racing IQ' should be able to overtake and defend without contact? Also you haven't played the game in 2 months so how do you know the FIA racing has gone stale? I've had some great racing recently, and it appears like more people are racing now as even some 2nd split timeslots have been fully A+

It depends on the situation. Sometimes, the driver being overtaken doesn't check his windmirrors or doesn't give enough space whilst already side-by-side, resulting in contact.

The only reason why there are more filled lobbies is because the FIA championship has begun.

Here's a quick 1 min summary of my MFG race. Traffic, Penalty, WTF?, Game Over.

The exact same thing happened to me as when you wrecked. That wall was like a magnet, seemed to keep me sucked to the wall, until I hit the part where it stops you dead in your tracks. I didnt save the replay but if you were to overlap the videos it would be identical. Didnt bother me too much as me and that track dont get along.

I have a bad feeling about this new penalty system.

The divebombers will be even more agressive now and probably get away with it.

Although I'm very happy that a new penalty system is coming, my question is this: Why has it took so long to implement it and why have they changed the penalty system halfway through an official FIA season? Things like this should be done before a season begins and should be tested in a pre-season/test seasons. A lot of drivers will have to adapt to the new regulations and some don't have time to 'test' the new penalty system - they only have time to race in the FIA championships, and discover the changes during the race itself.

Although I'm very happy that a new penalty system is coming, my question is this: Why has it took so long to implement it and why have they changed the penalty system halfway through an official FIA season? Things like this should be done before a season begins and should be tested in a pre-season/test seasons. A lot of drivers will have to adapt to the new regulations and some don't have time to 'test' the new penalty system - they only have time to race in the FIA championships, and discover the changes during the race itself.

I'd hope most players just play the same way they are now.

I've no doubt people will start gaming it again once people learn its strengths and weaknesses which will take a bit of time.

They have tested multiple versions of the penalty system and it still needed to improve. It sounds like fine tuning rather than a major change, but we'll see. If the penalty system drastically changes the way people drive, they weren't driving clean to begin with. I'm absolutely positive that some will like the change and others will hate it.

Season 2 is a glorified test season, the only thing that matters is getting the Star Player achievement. Still plenty of time to practice before the "real" Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back