FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hope most players just play the same way they are now.

I've no doubt people will start gaming it again once people learn its strengths and weaknesses which will take a bit of time.

I hope some don't try out dive-bombing, but I reckon this has taken PD a lot of time to establish an algorithm, because it has arrived so late. There probably will be an algorithm to register at least 95% of the dive-bombs. I do think this season is still a work-in-progress for PD, even up until the end of the year because a few cars are clearly way behind in BoP.

They have tested multiple versions of the penalty system and it still needed to improve. It sounds like fine tuning rather than a major change, but we'll see. If the penalty system drastically changes the way people drive, they weren't driving clean to begin with. I'm absolutely positive that some will like the change and others will hate it.

Season 2 is a glorified test season, the only thing that matters is getting the Star Player achievement. Still plenty of time to practice before the "real" Season.

It will be somewhere between the two penalty systems, probably closer to the most recent, which would be perfect.

Season 2 is pretty irrelevant for all regions apart from EMEA. I think EMEA's top 200 cap will be much higher, so high ranked As/low ranked A+s may struggle to find a slot. Then again, they probably won't earn enough points to enter the European finals anyway, because the points on offer in their races is much lower.

The exact same thing happened to me as when you wrecked. That wall was like a magnet, seemed to keep me sucked to the wall, until I hit the part where it stops you dead in your tracks. I didnt save the replay but if you were to overlap the videos it would be identical. Didnt bother me too much as me and that track dont get along.
i've never had that happen to me before, i was so confused by what happened. very unlucky physics for it to turn the car directly into the other opening lol.

en la carrera frené manteniendo la distancia, y de la nada fue despedido ... de todos modos no veo ninguna razón para hacerlo al principio de la carrera
Desearía poder deenderme, pero honestamente no sé cómo hablar inglés y es muy difícil para mí

en la carrera frené manteniendo la distancia, y de la nada fue despedido ... de todos modos no veo ninguna razón para hacerlo al principio de la carrera
Desearía poder deenderme, pero honestamente no sé cómo hablar inglés y es muy difícil para mí

Tranquilo que yo se lo puedo traducir mi hermano.
@todally_lit just in case you didn't get that, he says that on his side he had a safe distance and then it twitched and you went off. He also assures you that he wouldn't do that to anyone, especially at the start of the race.

Hope that squashes any qualms between you gentlemen :cheers:

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem to me they’ve taken any time to consider the penalty system, just seems they can’t think of anything so thought we’ll just switch it off then.

As a generally slower driver in usually high splits all I can see is drivers out of position barging past, coz rubbin is racing after all. I’m happy to be proved wrong but from the announcement all they’ve done is go back to how it was which doesn’t seem like any improvement to me.

As @mclarenLB says this isn’t a middle ground, which to me is what it needed.

I'm full of bad and good ideas haha, as I say I just get them out there and like to see other ideas to! I kind of was hoping other people would post there ideas alas, it failed :(. I agree though I think people would tank SRs so that would need to be solved if they ever went down that route as it's currently legal to do that in the current rules because it gains nothing! To be honest I'd just want to see the best racing, I'd hate to see anyone miss out say if you won every top split race and then didn't make it because of lobby strength I just think it would suck, like really suck. Likewise I hate people losing out in our splits getting 0 points for coming 20th? Could be the fastest, strongest lobby in history, someone has to come last and they get 0? I just find that bonkers! It might just put people off racing and then we end up with something small and nobody being bothered about it :(, kind of don't want that to happen for GT...

Maybe I should stop buying limited edition games, everyone one I've bought recently has meant a game lacking something... Next one I'm buying standard only!

I see your point and made some thoughts about this.
I really support the idea of base points for lower finishing positions. In Season 1 i got into the super Alien 3000 points lobby in my first race and earned about 1200 points for 12th position i think. Thats still good but 3 places behind it´s only a few hundred's and less than a victory in an A-B lobby.

There´s no perfect solution for comparing top lobbys at different time-slots. The one PD chosed is good in my opinion.
DR-Points and a special 24-Superstar race to get the best drivers from different slots together. Of course it´s bad for a top driver to miss this race but the only possibility to separate the best from the very best drivers and give those a chance who had bad luck with low DR lobbys.

Here´s my idea of a fair point system:

1. Lobby compilation:
First thing that matters is SR. So SR S will only be matched with SR S players A with A...

Each driver gets a score based on his DR (50%) and best time during training (50%).
So if your DR is in the Top 0,1% you get 99,9 points for this. With a top 10 time in training you get another 99,9 points which gives you an average of 99,9.
Someone with DR C and a top 10 time during training would get 99,9 points for his time and lets say 50 points for his DR which shows he is better than 50% of all drivers in Sportsmode. So his total score is (99,9+50)/2= 74,95

The 20 driver with highest points in every slot are lobby 1 ; 20-40 Lobby 2... and so on.

2. Championchip points:
Based on position and DR of the lobby like now.
In addition theres a base each player gets depending on the lobby number he is in.

For example the top lobby 1 gives 800 additional points on every position.
Lobby 2 gets 800/2= 400
Lobby 3 gets 800/3= 267
Lobby 100 gets 800/100= 8

- Players get rewarded for achieving a high DR score and a good time in training.
- Place 19 in lobby 1 would still be better than place 15 in lobby 2.
- Lobbys get ranked on SR first so a D/S Lobby is allways ranked better than a A/A lobby.

I really support the idea of base points for lower finishing positions. In Season 1 i got into the super Alien 3000 points lobby in my first race and earned about 1200 points for 12th position i think. Thats still good but 3 places behind it´s only a few hundred's and less than a victory in an A-B lobby.

There´s no perfect solution for comparing top lobbys at different time-slots. The one PD chosed is good in my opinion.
DR-Points and a special 24-Superstar race to get the best drivers from different slots together. Of course it´s bad for a top driver to miss this race but the only possibility to separate the best from the very best drivers and give those a chance who had bad luck with low DR lobbys.

1. Lobby compilation:
First thing that matters is SR. So SR S will only be matched with SR S players A with A...

Each driver gets a score based on his DR (50%) and best time during training (50%).
So if your DR is in the Top 0,1% you get 99,9 points for this. With a top 10 time in training you get another 99,9 points which gives you an average of 99,9.
Someone with DR C and a top 10 time during training would get 99,9 points for his time and lets say 50 points for his DR which shows he is better than 50% of all drivers in Sportsmode. So his total score is (99,9+50)/2= 74,95

The 20 driver with highest points in every slot are lobby 1 ; 20-40 Lobby 2... and so on.

2. Championchip points:
In addition theres a base each player gets depending on the lobby number he is in.

Lobby 2 gets 800/2= 400
Lobby 3 gets 800/3= 267

- Players get rewarded for achieving a high DR score and a good time in training.
- Lobbys get ranked on SR first so a D/S Lobby is allways ranked better than a A/A lobby.
I really like your overall idea. There is one part I'm not so sure of and I'll offer an alternative.

The scoring based on the best practice time is what I would change. My reasoning, there are great drivers who don't have a lot of time to practice, so they could get a decent time within a few laps, but would race considerably better with traffic, fuel burn and tire wear compared to a lesser driver with a lot of time to devote to getting a really good practice time.

My alternative would be the first race a player enters is scored for matchmaking purely on DR. Each race after that is scored on 50% DR and 50% from their previous finishing position, so first place is 100, 2nd place 99, 3rd place 98...20th place 81. This way, the highest DR drivers that do well will stay in the top lobby, the high DR drivers that don't place well, will move to a lower lobby, and the lower DR drivers that do well will move to a higher lobby.

1. Lobby compilation:

2. Championchip points:

Lobby 2 gets 800/2= 400
Lobby 3 gets 800/3= 267

Wow that's an interesting idea, I think as @GT_Alex74 said it would punish drivers who just practice the tyre wear/fuel usage in lobbies instead. I get it though and it sort of helps faster drivers at certain combos while also not punishing A+ drivers either. I love this kind of stuff though everyone sharing ideas :), I mean stuff like what you've suggested Zocker I've never even thought about before :D!

The timing of this penalty system change right before a Blue Moon/Monza FIA double header seems more than coincidence. I honestly don't know what to expect other than having many opportunities to figure out the new limits.

As for whether driving standards will change for the worse, all I can say is that those that keep pushing the limits beyond respectable clean driving tend to run into someone that decides to take it back to them instead of backing off. It usually doesn't end well for them.

Tranquilo que yo se lo puedo traducir mi hermano.
@todally_lit just in case you didn't get that, he says that on his side he had a safe distance and then it twitched and you went off. He also assures you that he wouldn't do that to anyone, especially at the start of the race.

Hope that squashes any qualms between you gentlemen :cheers:
understood. most unfortunate, definitely lament the loss of points for network issues. lets keep it clean out there. BTW, I changed the video description to read warning of network issues causing race crashes.

Last edited:
The timing of this penalty system change right before a Blue Moon/Monza FIA double header seems more than coincidence. I honestly don't know what to expect other than having many opportunities to figure out the new limits.

As for whether driving standards will change for the worse, all I can say is that those that keep pushing the limits beyond respectable clean driving tend to run into someone that decides to take it back to them instead of backing off. It usually doesn't end well for them.
these are easily the 2 most penalty heavy races. People are going to be punted and there may not be penalties.

With regards to the penalty system, the group of drivers it should benefit most are the A+.
If you're in a A+ FIA race, the chances are other drivers will respect you enough and you can, as a result, race with some paint trade. I think now, if a driver who has such a high rank and is dirty, is known across the community and is given a bad reputation. Hopefully, the report system is more effective since the new penalty system.
In my opinion, the penalties should be more strict at lower levels as most of the faster drivers tend to be more respectful and often serve penalties through no fault of their own. I just feel sorry for those who are clean and can't quite make the top rank. I hope it doesn't ruin your races.

It's 8 hours difference from Japan to the center of the occidental world (London :sly:), can anyone from Asia comment on the FIA races? Does the new update make a big difference?

Just finished my Blue Moon race, and I have to say that I had alot of fun. I tried to keep out of trouble the best I could, but the slipstream tends to bring people together. Spent the second half of the race hovering behind a battle pack containing @Baliwa (I think) and took advantage of the inevitable chaos during the final lap to finish just outside of the top 10.

I think only four or five drivers had penalties during the race.

Just did the FIA nations race and it didn't take long before I saw some goose trying to push someone off the road. No penalty given but they could both drive on without losing a place.

Justice was served later when the same goose t-boned someone into turn 1, spun and was left facing the wrong direction. From 3rd to dead last and "rage quit". Pity the one that got t-boned.

It wasn't the only one. I witnessed another attempt by another clown on lap 10. Replay suggests their efforts were rewarded with a loss of two places.

On the plus side I didn't get any penalties for minor nudges only for my lack of consistency going around corners.

With regards to the penalty system, the group of drivers it should benefit most are the A+.
If you're in a A+ FIA race, the chances are other drivers will respect you enough and you can, as a result, race with some paint trade. I think now, if a driver who has such a high rank and is dirty, is known across the community and is given a bad reputation. Hopefully, the report system is more effective since the new penalty system.
In my opinion, the penalties should be more strict at lower levels as most of the faster drivers tend to be more respectful and often serve penalties through no fault of their own. I just feel sorry for those who are clean and can't quite make the top rank. I hope it doesn't ruin your races.
This is optimistic but naive. Some people will do whatever they can to win, especially in the FIA races. The previous system kept them in check.

If the penalty system really is that loose than more of those drivers will make their way up into the A+/S category by exploiting it.

I want to agree with you but people are :banghead:

Whatever the penalty system is makes no difference to me. Saw zero difference in how anyone drove under either system, people who dive bomb and block are always going to dive bomb and block. The only difference was innocent people were getting penalized under the most recent system.

Just finished my Blue Moon race, and I have to say that I had alot of fun. I tried to keep out of trouble the best I could, but the slipstream tends to bring people together. Spent the second half of the race hovering behind a battle pack containing @Baliwa (I think) and took advantage of the inevitable chaos during the final lap to finish just outside of the top 10.

I think only four or five drivers had penalties during the race.

What's your ID anyway?

Holy hell I just get penalty cause that Hyundai doing brakecheck lol (nah not that brakecheck but consider too early) and my fuel literally empty in straight from 10 get to 13 :lol:

Can't I hate it I just enjoy the race with Corvette that truly not suit on this track. I want move to Mitsubishi next year :lol:

Blue Moon is going to be a massacre. This changes everything, I don't know what strategy is the best now. Probably stay behind and wait for the others to acumulate penalties?
That would be the strategy were the penalties changed to be harsher, no? If they're relaxed you have to assume there will be less of them.

*Never raced Blue Moon before but I'd say just fuel save. Qualify as far out in front as you can, fuel save, don't worry when people come past, just fuel save some more, see how the tyres are (will depend on manu), pit for tyres and push in the 2nd stint.

*I've put in 0 practice for this one though, so could be entirely wrong! xD I just know I'm going to run out of tyre :(

That would be the strategy were the penalties changed to be harsher, no? If they're relaxed you have to assume there will be less of them.

*Never raced Blue Moon before but I'd say just fuel save. Qualify as far out in front as you can, fuel save, don't worry when people come past, just fuel save some more, see how the tyres are (will depend on manu), pit for tyres and push in the 2nd stint.

*I've put in 0 practice for this one though, so could be entirely wrong! xD I just know I'm going to run out of tyre :(
Thank you very much for the advice, I have to give it a go.

I just had the most amazing recovery drive ever at today's Nations race! :D

At qualifying my first flyer was ruined because I messed up the Ascari chicane and cut it, giving me .5 second penalty. I served it and set a 1:59. My second flying lap I completely messed up the first chicane, and I even messed up the RC F behind me. I quit back to the pits immediately and apologized to him. He stil set a new fast lap, but it was a 2:02.

I'm 19th, and he's 20th. I figured I had nothing to lose, so right after the start I gave the position to the guy behind me. And then the most amazing thing happened: no one crashed at L1 T1 in Monza

Let me repeat that, in its own paragraph: No one crashed at L1 T1 in Monza

Second chicane, no crashes either! First lap is done, but now I have to race a recovery drive from the very start.

I don't know how, and I don't even remember much of the race, but I was able to climb my way up to 11th. You know how race car drivers would often tell you they were in a "trance" when they do amazing drives? Yeah, I really felt that. It's a hard thing to describe... if not intangible. It's just that, you know you are in a trance when you are.

I'm such a dumb person to have saved the screenshot but not the replay :banghead::banghead::banghead: I wasn't able to save it in-game as well, since the race is too long :ouch: oh well. You can't have a day that's too perfect now right? :)

Sorry if the post is very "rambly". I'm still very ecstatic from the race and I just can't seem to collect my thoughts in a rational manner :lol:

Also, in a nutshell the penalty system works very very well :)

Curse you psn. Says mine is currently under maintenance. Ruined my playlist of FIA race, then England then nother FIA race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back