FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot to try the F50, M4 and Supra. Though I suspect it won't change the fastest car since layout B is quite twisty. From experience S-FR is quicker in time trials than XBOW but in a race situation with draft the XBOW will be the car of choice.
I didn't forget. I remember the race at Interlagos.;) The M4 and Supra were leagues above the X-Bow and S-FR at that track.
That long straight and uphill run at Sard B, are going to be killers. Should be an interesting one.

Did the first slot of Manufacturers last night. 4 tenths separated 2nd-15th in quali and I was 15th :banghead:
upload_2019-8-4_12-54-55.jpeg

First couple of laps weren't great and I lost the slipstream but on lap 6 it all kicked off up ahead so I caught up and made some positions through others' misfortunes right through to the end.

Did 2nd slot of Nations and I was the only one in the 08 GTR in the lobby. Was another very close quali with the top 5 separated by 0.043 and somehow I was on pole. :D Was genuinely not expecting it and was just laughing when I got it :lol:
upload_2019-8-4_12-58-15.jpeg

I did a 1 stop in the race as I wasn't up for driving on rims, but unfortunately I didn't drive so well in terms of decision making. Was on for about 6th place but I made a mistake on T1 and then lost it on the kerb on the exit and ended up 18th. A shame, but a decent amount of action in the race regardless.

Man oh man. The Red Bull Ring is a blast in Gr.3 cars. The climb to turn 2 always builds so much excitement and then racing back down to the start/finish for another lap is very reminiscent of a roller coaster. Some of the closest racing I have witnessed.

My goal was to rake in some big points in the early room and call it a night. Unfortunately, I picked up a well deserved penalty the first race and ended up serving the it in the penalty zone before the pit. I didn’t feel like I could safely reenter without distracting other drivers so I ended up parking and dropping from 8th to last.

The second race was my best if the evening. I finished 7th and bagged nearly 1900pts. I still hadn’t had a solid qualifying so I took a gamble and ran the last race. I was aiming at a top 5 finish.

The stars had aligned for the last room of the night. I put in a sub 1:30 lap and started on the grid in 8th. I went into full attack for T1 and for whatever reason instead of upshifting to 3rd to kill wheelspin on the bumpy exit I tried to wind out 2nd which essentially turned my Mustang into a bottle rocket with no stem. I managed to keep it facing the right direction but immediate threw away my chances of a top 5.

Overall, a great evening of racing with very talented and fast drivers. RBR is hands down one of my favorite tracks. Onward to Autopolis.

Manufacturers: Spin, spin, spin... during qualifying, at least.
Nations: Didn't bother finishing because of tire wear issues (I only had a '08 NSX, of which I was supposed to debut a new livery based on an offsite B-spec/RP series, but I ran into creative issues). I ran softs during qualifying, moved rear tires to mediums, pitted so that I have medium in both, quit.

I seemingly find more luck in Gr.4 races in manufacturer's races.

So, i done the Nations last night.. went for the 1 stop as in practice my tyres were gone in 9 laps and I didn't enjoy it. Qualified 10th on my first lap..messed the last one up..again. Got myself upto 6th and on the last lap 5th gets a penalty. So decided not to take any chances, 7th catches us on the last corner and boom, they shove it up the inside and just understeer right into me..and u can guess what happens next... rolled over in 9th. Totally frustrated..so that was it for the night

What an absolute waste of an evening.

RBR is a strong track for me and one of my favorites. I really thought it would be a strong Pug track but it wasn't at all. The curbs were evil, T2 required traction control to overcome the horrendous 1st gear, just about everyone did all three slots and I got blocked during qualifying. I needed 5th or better to improve my Manu points but the car simply wasn't up to it.

Worst of all, all our rivals gained big points and Pug is suddenly not looking good now. :nervous:

PS: The new slipstream is flat out awful and needs to go.

Last edited:
Two Gr.4 races on Wednesday, at two tracks i love. I'm on that Mazda ride again. Should be fun(for me).

New slipstream is amazing. Not ridiculous DRS like anymore.
I agree for the level of force of the stream but not the distance of the effect. With the GR2 cars on fuji i was able to take the slipstream of a car 1 sc ahead till the end of the straight. 1 second at 200 /250 kmh represent 50 to 70 meters of distance. I don't think it's physically possible , but yes , even like this , it's a lot better than before.

I agree for the level of force of the stream but not the distance of the effect. With the GR2 cars on fuji i was able to take the slipstream of a car 1 sc ahead till the end of the straight. 1 second at 200 /250 kmh represent 50 to 70 meters of distance. I don't think it's physically possible , but yes , even like this , it's a lot better than before.
I'd say it is physically possible. People have reported measuring that a solo cyclist riding on a 250m indoor track experiences a slipstream effect due to the disturbance of the air from the previous lap, i.e. they create their own draft benefit, even 250m back.

Manufacurer Series
Red Bull Ring, Viper GR.3, RH tire, Number plate: 19
10th > 10th (1 full spin after a hit)

Nations Cup
Fuji Speedway, Lexus RC F, RM tire, Number plate: 13
8th > 7th

^Funny but not really relevant, what really happens is that they have a penalty the first lap from the air, then it's slightly less after that.

But seriously, why do people seem to think that getting a slipstream 1 second ahead isn't realistic? Have they ever watched any actual racing? Indycar drivers say they can feel a benefit for a car a whole straightaway ahead at IMS, that's almost 10 seconds...

For me, the slipstream feels even stronger but it could be more of the distance where it could be picked up. Regardless, it means getting dirty air further away and it's the one area in which trying to minic reality makes no sense. The one advantage of a virtual world is the capability to remove real world problems that are detrimental to racing. I'd rather have weak slipstream and eliminate dirty air effects altogether but that's just me.

Now, as for Wednesday's Manu combo, annoying they are repeating something we did in preseason. Suffice it to say I'm skipping given what happened last time.

BreakablePaltryAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Now, as for Wednesday's Manu combo, annoying they are repeating something we did in preseason. Suffice it to say I'm skipping given what happened last time.

Sorry, I missed most of preseason. What exactly is the problem? Tire wear? Because I did some practice lobbies and still can't decide whether to no-stop on mediums, no-stop on hards or one-stop on mediums. Ferrari 458 GT4.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed most of preseason. What exactly is the problem? Tire wear? Because I did some practice lobbies and still can't decide whether to no-stop on mediums, no-stop on hards or one-stop on mediums. Ferrari 458 GT3.
Preseason used soft tires which shredded so bad everyone had to stop. Since it's mediums now, advantage likely are to tire saving cars that can no stop.

Sorry, I missed most of preseason. What exactly is the problem? Tire wear? Because I did some practice lobbies and still can't decide whether to no-stop on mediums, no-stop on hards or one-stop on mediums. Ferrari 458 GT4.

What is your pace between meds/hards? A 1 stop is too costly, approx 20 seconds for a stop where the drop off on tires over 8 laps isnt great enough to lose to the 1 stoppers

What is your pace between meds/hards? A 1 stop is too costly, approx 20 seconds for a stop where the drop off on tires over 8 laps isnt great enough to lose to the 1 stoppers

As just an A driver I'm not sure how relevant my info is for you, but I feel more comfortable on hards because the drop-off is more gradual. I can push the whole race, whereas on mediums I was tip-toeing around trying not to wear them out and that causes me to be inconsistent. I only did three races and didn't note the times. I was just trying out different possibilities. However my race on hards was by far my best. I had to pit on lap one to put them on since the new practice/qualy/race format caught me out, but all the races had a couple A+ drivers (all on M) in there and the first two races on M I was losing 1-1.5s a lap. With the hards however, I was four seconds behind the leader when I pit to swap the M for H, and I finished 22s behind. Which means I gained about 2s on the A+ rated leader on those seven laps with the hards even though those lead drivers were smashing me by 1.5s in qualy (I think I was putting in high 54s in qualy on M). The last few laps I was watching the timers and I was steadily cutting the gap a tenth or two per sector in the closing laps. I think my best lap on hards was mid-55 whereas the "aliens" were doing mid-54s (in one race I saw a 53-something fastest lap) on M in the beginning but dropping off quickly because of wear.

Like I said, I'm fast but nowhere near alien level, and on top of that I don't practice much, so I'm not sure how relevant all this is but hopefully it at least gives you a general idea of what you're looking at.

With the Gr.4 Porsche, I feel like I'm fighting the car in every turn. It wants to burn up those tires so bad. Granted, I'm just an A driver, so I have a lot to learn, but this round is the most "off the pace" I've been yet. Can't seem to make the tyres work.

With the Gr.4 Porsche, I feel like I'm fighting the car in every turn. It wants to burn up those tires so bad. Granted, I'm just an A driver, so I have a lot to learn, but this round is the most "off the pace" I've been yet. Can't seem to make the tyres work.

Both Nations and Manu are full of sliding around this week. Those tires are gonna burn!

Manu is no doubt a no-stop on mediums. Did a 15:34 with my modest speed. 1:54 flat fastest lap. Then another high 54, a couple in the 55s, a couple in the 56s, and the last laps 57s and low 58. Only pushed on lap 2. The rest were managing tires.

I can imagine the top drivers can take 15s out of my total time. Ferrari 358 GT4.

^Funny but not really relevant, what really happens is that they have a penalty the first lap from the air, then it's slightly less after that.
Yes, I wasn't sure what point praiano was making about my post, but the effect I stated exists and doesn't break any laws of physics. The only thing that is up for debate is the magnitude of the effect.

Edit: One important factor is wind. In otherwise still air, the disturbance caused by an object passing through the air can persist in place for quite some time. In the presence of a crosswind, the wind can blow away that disturbed air, causing the benefit to a following object to reduce more quickly. AFAIA GT Sport doesn't model wind, so we'd expect the disturbed air behind cars to persist for quite a long time.

I think I am actually going to try this race in my Mitsubishi, but the tyre wear thing sounds a bit scary. I'm sure it will be fine...
giphy.gif

I can't even make the RM last 4 laps at race pace in practice :lol: I was losing 1 sec a lap with each lap that passes. If you're no stopping Mitsu, definitely go with RH unless you're a masochist, or you want to pootle around at a snail's pace :lol:

Either way, outlook not so good for meme team :guilty:

As just an A driver I'm not sure how relevant my info is for you, but I feel more comfortable on hards because the drop-off is more gradual. I can push the whole race, whereas on mediums I was tip-toeing around trying not to wear them out and that causes me to be inconsistent. I only did three races and didn't note the times. I was just trying out different possibilities. However my race on hards was by far my best. I had to pit on lap one to put them on since the new practice/qualy/race format caught me out, but all the races had a couple A+ drivers (all on M) in there and the first two races on M I was losing 1-1.5s a lap. With the hards however, I was four seconds behind the leader when I pit to swap the M for H, and I finished 22s behind. Which means I gained about 2s on the A+ rated leader on those seven laps with the hards even though those lead drivers were smashing me by 1.5s in qualy (I think I was putting in high 54s in qualy on M). The last few laps I was watching the timers and I was steadily cutting the gap a tenth or two per sector in the closing laps. I think my best lap on hards was mid-55 whereas the "aliens" were doing mid-54s (in one race I saw a 53-something fastest lap) on M in the beginning but dropping off quickly because of wear.

Like I said, I'm fast but nowhere near alien level, and on top of that I don't practice much, so I'm not sure how relevant all this is but hopefully it at least gives you a general idea of what you're looking at.

Thank you for that. I hadn't seen a great comparison between meds/hards so was wondering what the lap pace difference was and you have confirmed it. I did a short test tonight, all of 3 laps to see how the hards felt and I guess it will come down to the individual driver and how they feel on the tires as you say. Good pace if you were making up time on A+ drivers in the end with the Ferrari, that is tough to do!

I am going to stick to the Meds and try to look after them early because even though the hards come into their own late race, the race being 8 laps long means there isn't enough time to make up the difference. A 9 lap race and maybe the hards would be the go to tire, or very close, but with the current settings, I feel managing a set of mediums is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back