FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, the slipstream feels even stronger but it could be more of the distance where it could be picked up. Regardless, it means getting dirty air further away and it's the one area in which trying to minic reality makes no sense. The one advantage of a virtual world is the capability to remove real world problems that are detrimental to racing. I'd rather have weak slipstream and eliminate dirty air effects altogether but that's just me.

Now, as for Wednesday's Manu combo, annoying they are repeating something we did in preseason. Suffice it to say I'm skipping given what happened last time.

View attachment 841115
Using weak slipstream is like taking off the sill element. I was upset about the new slipstream because i thought it would be similar to weak slipstream, but i found out it’s just more realistic. Idk why we should aim to remove the realistic factor just for fun. I think it’s a completely different focus from what the game is aiming.

Yes, I wasn't sure what point praiano was making about my post, but the effect I stated exists and doesn't break any laws of physics. The only thing that is up for debate is the magnitude of the effect.

Edit: One important factor is wind. In otherwise still air, the disturbance caused by an object passing through the air can persist in place for quite some time. In the presence of a crosswind, the wind can blow away that disturbed air, causing the benefit to a following object to reduce more quickly. AFAIA GT Sport doesn't model wind, so we'd expect the disturbed air behind cars to persist for quite a long time.

In real life bicycle races, competitors have an advantage when they are up to 30m behind a camera bike. And that’s at speeds between 30 and 50 kph. That’s quite a few seconds of distance between the two vehicles.

It is not far fetched that a car would gain an advantage when they are just over a second from another car.

In triathlon you're not even allowed to ride your bike behind one and another. There has to be a gap of 10m between two bicycles and if you want to overtake, you have to go far leftside of the road to do so.

Streaming practice for those interested. Literally the most unbalanced race I'll ever compete in I think tomorrow!

Some of the fuel management races last season were just as unbalanced as this one is. Just the balance swings a different way!

I can't even make the RM last 4 laps at race pace in practice :lol: I was losing 1 sec a lap with each lap that passes. If you're no stopping Mitsu, definitely go with RH unless you're a masochist, or you want to pootle around at a snail's pace :lol:

Either way, outlook not so good for meme team :guilty:

I did one race in Tidgneys lobby tonight and the Mitsubishi actually seemed vaguely competitive on Hards (excluding the Alfa's of course but there isn't anything anyone can do about them in this race) and managed a 15:36. Was nice being able to race someone in a FIA manufacturers race for a change, so will see what happens tomorrow.

Idk why we should aim to remove the realistic factor just for fun. I think it’s a completely different focus from what the game is aiming.

Interesting point and I disagree to an extent.

This is getting off-topic, but in F1 before the introduction of DRS, the 'dirty air' effect was so powerful that drivers could often not follow the car in front close enough in corners to make a pass somewhere on-track. This used to happen even if the following car was sometimes up to 2 seconds per lap faster in clear air. So the races were often determined by pit strategy and whichever driver could get the quickest in-lap or out-lap in clear air.

Is that the degree of realism people really want in a racing game?

Anyway, for today's races I have no expectations, but manufacturers could be interesting to see what scraps can be collected.

Yes!

I’m running 4 rear to make this work.

Also, braking slightly early with less pressure will help you save tires.
watched the replay from our race earlier, you're on another level for real. I adapted my driving and braking based on your above post and found like 10-20% more tire life. It honestly felt like I unlocked the next tier of skill in my driving, I wasn't loosing time and driving far less aggressive. Then I watched back the replay and you had nearly twice as good tires to mine. You had better tires than some of the people running Hards lol. The biggest thing I realized is that I'm not coasting enough, looks like accelerating in a long sweeper is just adding wear to the tires for barely any extra pace.

I'm truly impressed.

Last edited:
watched the replay from our race earlier, you're on another level for real. I adapted my driving and braking based on your above post and found like 10-20% more tire life. It honestly felt like I unlocked the next tier of skill in my driving, I wasn't loosing time and driving far less aggressive. Then I watched back the replay and you had nearly twice as good tires to mine. You had better tires than some of the people running Hards lol. The biggest thing I realized is that I'm not coasting enough, looks like accelerating in a long sweeper is just adding wear to the tires for barely any extra pace.

I'm truly impressed.

Shhhhh! Don’t give out all my secrets! :D

Basically, I use the throttle to adjust my trajectory through a corner.

I’m normally not coasting. What I’m actually doing is adjusting my lines using weight transfer.

More throttle widens my arc

Less throttle decreases my arc

This way I’m able to change my lines without increasing or decreasing my steering inputs. Thus, I’m able to protect my front tires better.

It’s 100% applicable to real cars too.

EDIT: This is the only way I’ve been able to stay relevantly competitive in the Mustangs.

THANK YOU, JESUS!

EBWdrkVUEAEcgkL

EBWdfs5VAAAHZsr

I didn't get punted by anyone. I didn't get bumped ou tof the way. SOmeof the faster players were patient. Players gave room side by side in turns, when setting up for passes.. all that! Qualified on RM. I spun off on my flier, reset and went one more time. Got held up by a Jag and it wound up spinning off at "The Four Brothers" left-handers. Was on for a top 10 position, but lost too much time.

Those TTs looked to be struggling more than a Scirocco that was around me. Really surprised the Atenzas tyres stayed fresh as long as they did. Maybe since the final turn doesn't load the outside front tyre as much going uphill, as it does in the forward configuration. Happy with this one. Top 10 is more than I thought my result would be. :)

Some of the fuel management races last season were just as unbalanced as this one is. Just the balance swings a different way!

I disagree the TT is one of the best at fuel saving and we still couldn't win races. The nice thing was at least you could race with the fuel if you wanted to have a bit of fun(Like DevilSoul)! I tried to race last night in the 3rd race and you literally can't race. You have to drive casually or not at all which is ridiculous. With the fuel at least the balance was closer, this is mind blowingly out of proportion. 30 second difference between some cars in 8 laps? Way to unbalanced.

I won't even bother the Gr.4 races atm. With Porsche I still can't figure out how the Cayman works. I keep bogging down out of corners. Feels so sluggish...

Streaming practice for those interested. Literally the most unbalanced race I'll ever compete in I think tomorrow!

Yes!

I’m running 4 rear to make this work.

Also, braking slightly early with less pressure will help you save tires.

Tidgney, from your stream I feel like I've reached another level. Thank you!

TRC_Stagger was also super helpful. Thank you!

I couldn't make Mediums last 4 laps, but with a simple "need to save tyres? Don't brake”, I can now do 1:55.5 - 1:57.5 for all eight laps and make the Mediums last till the end. Thank you!

Tidgney, from your stream I feel like I've reached another level. Thank you!

TRC_Stagger was also super helpful. Thank you!

I couldn't make Mediums last 4 laps, but with a simple "need to save tyres? Don't brake”, I can now do 1:55.5 - 1:57.5 for all eight laps and make the Mediums last till the end. Thank you!

Haha no worries :), but ye that's how you save tyres, less you brake more you save it's not based on corner speed which is a bit weird to be honest but ye it is what it is.

Interesting point and I disagree to an extent.

This is getting off-topic, but in F1 before the introduction of DRS, the 'dirty air' effect was so powerful that drivers could often not follow the car in front close enough in corners to make a pass somewhere on-track. This used to happen even if the following car was sometimes up to 2 seconds per lap faster in clear air. So the races were often determined by pit strategy and whichever driver could get the quickest in-lap or out-lap in clear air.

Is that the degree of realism people really want in a racing game?

Anyway, for today's races I have no expectations, but manufacturers could be interesting to see what scraps can be collected.
Totally agree, but in F1 cars works with an amount of downforce that exceeds by far the ones we drive at the game, so in that case the DRS made total sense, amd it’s something that the games features since update 1.37 if i’m not mistaken.
A totally different thing is weak slipstream, that can provide you laps nearly a full second faster from about 2 seconds behind someone. That probably can give guys with less pace the chance to be competitive, but the result is a little bit unfair IMO.
Right now Slipstream is totally fine. I don’t think dirty air is that much of an issue unless tracks like Suzuka or Autopolis in Gr.2. But that’s the way it is

It has been a really stressful 2 days due to nightmare switch of broadband providers leaving me without broadband the last 2 days. Caused me to get no practice yesterday and today I had to resort to buying some 4G data, but at least I seem to have decent 4G here, the PS4's test said 9Mbps down, 2Mbps up. I had no idea how it would work for a race. I had 3 bars in the lobby, and it seemed fine, it all played like it was zero latency. Qualified 2nd in the 4C (Nations) behind another 4C. Given the points, I started knowing 2nd would be fine, but I had a nervy start and let the Toyota behind past. I just drove calmly and waited for his tyres to go. By lap 6 he was all over the place, and I easily passed him. I was 5 secs behind the leader at that point, and he seemed to have worse tyre wear than me. I gained nearly 2 secs and might have had a good battle without falling behind at the start. Moved into A DR for the first time, took 39 races to get there. 1158 points, another decent haul by my standards.

A Subaru grabbed pole in my Manu race. It pitted for tyres and re-entered behind me in 12th. I have to watch the replay to see where it finished.

Did a test race in the Megane trophy on Hard tires (Because I am not great at tire conservation) and wow, that car is stupidly good with fuel. Ran every lap like a qually lap and still made it with 1.2 left in the tank, not messing around with the fuel map. Might be the second time I actually have a no-stopper strat thats good for me.

I disagree the TT is one of the best at fuel saving and we still couldn't win races. The nice thing was at least you could race with the fuel if you wanted to have a bit of fun(Like DevilSoul)! I tried to race last night in the 3rd race and you literally can't race. You have to drive casually or not at all which is ridiculous. With the fuel at least the balance was closer, this is mind blowingly out of proportion. 30 second difference between some cars in 8 laps? Way to unbalanced.
PUG was worse, I finished about 45 seconds behind nik mak in slot 2 no stopping with hard fronts, and about 40 seconds off a honda in slot 3 on a one stopper with mediums, mind you I qualified pretty poorly anyway so overall probably dropped around 30 seconds from the start.

Thank you all that turned up for my stream, I had 30 viewers at one point so my biggest ever! Very humbling and hope you enjoyed it. Not quite the results I expected, but fun races anyway :D

Looking at the leaderboard I literally understeered 111 points away in nations and those points are very hard to come by now in Oceania. Also I had all of the big 3 kiwi streams up on twitch so that may have distracted me a little...

Looking at the leaderboard I literally understeered 111 points away in nations and those points are very hard to come by now in Oceania. Also I had all of the big 3 kiwi streams up on twitch so that may have distracted me a little...

Lol I dunno man, I understeered through that same corner first race out of a comfortable 3rd trying to chase Noble in 2nd. Very easy to do because you want to just shave speed off by braking as lightly as possible, and easy to misjudge the pressure.

I do appreciate the effort in keeping up with the action from NZ though :D Did you have sound on? I may have celebrated a pittle too hard when I went past... Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back