FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found the race a bit boring tbh as I just fuel saved until lap 9, pitted and then drove hard for the last few laps. Moved up from 17th to 8th, but I think most of that was from the chaos at the start, see video below

Still trying to get the hand of the new load cell brake so am struggling with stopping at the moment.

I am so stupid :D
Didn't really feel like doing Nations today, but since it was Dragons Trail I went for the last run anyway.
Without any practice apart from 5 laps in free practice before the start to get used to the car and track combo I started qualifying.
I got out second to last out of the pits and wanted to get going as fast as possible. Had to go through traffic and had to brake once, only to get rear ended slightly afterwards (he had enough time to react) which gave me a 1 second penalty... So I only had 1 shot, qualifying in 12th. OK but not great.

On to the race start: Had deactivated the TCS too early and fell back to P17. But there was a lot of carnage/crazy stuff going on and got up to P9 I believe by the end of lap 1. Had a very good pace and was up to P6 by lap 9 when I made a pitstop to refuel without new tires.

Then I was an idiot. As I crossed the line it showed lap 10/13 and my idiot brain thought "Hey, we need 3 laps of fuel". With 4 laps remaining...
After the pitstop (not realizing my error) I got up to P5. Having half of lap 12 done I realized my error and switched to full fuel save mode with short shifting and fuel map 6. Fell down to P8, which became P7 as someone binned it in the chicane of death, I actually made it to the finish. Didn't think that would work after that error....

Well, I'm back - cleaned the pot again and "closed" the empty space from it with duct tape, that should keep the dust out till I manage to find one to replace it.

Nations - Rd2 in the AMG

Try 1 - slot 3

Weak quali - just 15th on the grid. I was down to 16th after T3 cause of the messy start that gave me a 1s penalty but then I started to gain positions and spend the last lap before people started to pit in 12th. Along with putting I gained some position up until 5th. Then pitted, got out again in 12th but close to P10 so started chasing the cars down. Overtook a VGT than the car in P10 binned at the chicane of death so I was P10 in the last lap. Kept it safe and after the chicane 2 people ran out of fuel. 8th and 96 points - not enough for improvement of the 99 points from Round 1.

Got also some 500 DR points so I went again in slot 5.

Again mediocre quali, started in P14. Got up to 12th after T3 and was closing down on the group in front(8 cars) but then a German AMG divebombed me in T2, getting me a 2s penalty in the process. I managed to see him in time, so gave him space but not enough.
Served the penalty back in P14, then started to gain up to P12. In lap 8 I was 10th but got again divebombed in the last turn and pushed a bit wide losing 2 positions. All three we rushed to the pits and I gained 1 position cause I needed less fuel. Got out in 11th, 3 seconds behind the group in front. After 1 lap I managed to close the gap to 2s but not managed to get closer. Lap 10, decided to let a black GTR to pass as he was faster on straights in order to gain that 0.5s till their slipstream and close up the distance. Good decision at that point I closed in and the GTR started to fight his way through the group. As there were 5 cars in less than 1.5s I was expecting troubles, so I followed closely ready to exploit any mistake. Lap 11, at the hard righthander before chicane of death there was again fighting. The black GTR brakes way early(around 200m sign) - and in order to not hit him I took the inside, having no other choice than a divebomb. I was still hard on the brakes when very close to apex, turn getting very sharp because of my tight line on the inside, managed to get the front of the car in the right direction, but my rear slided a bit and my front right wheel got over the curb. Rear lost grip, then contact with wall - lost around 4s in the impact till I got it running again and got a 1.5s penalty. Down to 13th. I saw that 3 cars had problems in the chicane of death - it would have been a good result... I got pushed wide again by a libanese R8 and was down to 15th by lap12. I rear ended a Dane in a Viper at THE righthander cause he swerved in front of my right when I was pressing the brakes - so he got pushed wide, but I stopped and waited for him to get going again. End of the race: P15 - 67 points and -600 DR. Greeeaaaaat!!!!

Well, sitting at 27k DR now, I am not seeing again DR A this weekend. I did some timetrial at Suzuka for tomorrow but I am @ just 2.10.4 in the Alfa. Definitely not good enough yet...

Went from 2nd to to last by getting taken out in the first corner by a true blue idiot. Managed to crawl back to 14th. He didn't even apologize. He was to busy soaking up his dirty win. Aaagh! :banghead:

Last edited:
Had an awesome Nations race, it was super intense. FreeRyde was on my tail the entire race, it was a super clean, super close battle for what felt like the entire race. In the final corner I went for the wide line and let him take the inside in hopes of getting the better exit and pulling off the cut back. But I got a little too happy with the pedal and spun it up a little on the exit, so he managed to get the position in the end. It was a really fun race. :)

FA7FCDFD-5E4F-4829-A3CA-DE8B41FF8B88.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking Seaside is becoming that track-that-I-like-but-everyone's-faster-at-than-me track.

Granted, I used the Audi instead of the two metas but still, I got a decent amount of practice in and my best time was 1:41.9. A R8 qualified P3 on my grid with a 1:39.xxx. I qualy'd P16 with a 1:42.7xx. The first few turns were predictably a massive cluster and I slid ahead to P13 before the first chicane, then get rear-ended which slides me into the rear bumper of the car ahead of me. 1 sec penalty. A lot of door banging happens through the chicane which results in my front bumper touching the rear fender of someone, which causes him to slide sideways and I t-bone him a couple times until he's pointing straight again and I'm in the grass and barrier. 2 more sec.

I eventually catch up with the back of the pack because there's people worse at this track than me, apparently. Somewhat surprisingly, the racing at the rear was very clean. I had a couple of battles, did a lot of overtaking and got overtaken a lot myself and it was all good, clean racing. Up until the end. I'm coming out of the chicane of death in P13 and get slammed into the wall hard by someone, losing two places. I cross the line P15.

I think I've had enough for today. Maybe I'll practice at Suzuka some more because that's another track I like but am not very fast at.

03-21-20 FIA Finish.jpg

Last edited:
North America:

Race 1:

B/S
One and Done!

The only Pug VGT in the entire field. Five Toyotas, four Porsches, two Audis, three Lexus, two Mercs, one Ford GT LM, one Pug RCZ and one Nissan.
Qually would have been perfect if the Canadian I passed on my 2nd hot lap hadn't then bumped into me after I passed him. Considering he was only 16th at that point, he should have kept clear.

Anyway... P2 it was, behind a Toyota. Off the line, I was straight into P1 just before the esses and never really looked back before the pit stop. For a third of the lap, I turned fuel down to setting 2 but panicked when I saw my 4s lead drop a tad, so I went back to full power for the rest of the race. Everything went perfectly. Lap 1 was obviously a fastest lap, as was Lap 4. I made only 2 errors. Firstly, I very slightly clipped the walls leaving the chicane of death on Lap 5, and that cost me a Clean Race. Harsh, I thought, but there you go.

I pitted on Lap 7, with a 10s lead, and that's when I made error number 2. I'd decided to change tyres since I had a good advantage. But I realised after 3 seconds that I had forgotten to actually select them!!!:dunce: The P2 and P3 Toyotas had pitted, but the P4 Audi and P5 and P6 Porsches stayed out, whilst the P7 Lexus decided to bury itself in the pit lane entrance wall. And so I exited in P4, 9s of the lead. P2 and P3 had a disagreement exiting the esses and P2 went off, making a pass easier as it recovered. Back up to P3, but with the recovered Porsche right on my tail. However, he was struggling on old tyres and I was pulling away comfortably as we left the chicane of death. He and the two lead cars pitted on that lap and so I began Lap 9 in P1 again.

From then on, it was a walk in the park and I won by 13.648 seconds, setting more fastest laps on Laps 11 and 13. Didn't need to of course, but it was satisfying! 68 points, one of the highest I can ever remember scoring. Fastest Lap of course, but gutted I missed out on the Clean Race.

Not going to better that tonight, so I can rest up before trying to better my rating on my EMEA account for tomorrow's races.
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200321223949.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200321224003.jpg

Last edited:
Great win tonight. I thought I would be in top split but it was a stronger than usual 2nd split for Nations. Qualified on pole and ended up saving more fuel than the guy behind me. Pitted as late as possible and overfueled without taking tires. Got jumped by one guy but the extra fuel I took was enough to make the difference and allowed me to keep the lead once I got it back. Here’s the race.

1 and done for me again. This was a hectic race. I had sweaty palms the whole time. I put the Supra 7th on the grid. To my surprise, most of the field was running something other than Supras or Peugeot VGTs, and a Corvette (the car I usually drive no matter what - even in races with a clear Meta besides it) started and finished 2nd! I lost a few spots at the start with the Citroens rocketing off the line, then promptly gained them back when I got rear-ended going into Turn 1 and accidentally pushed 2 people off because of it. The front of the grid stayed bunched up the entire race, and after being held up by some cars battling in front of me, I decided to pit early on Lap 6 since no one in front did. I unfortunately hesitated before selecting to not take tires, so that cost me at least 1s, but fortunately I emerged in a nice gap in 13th. In the end I finished 5th with 176 pts, and less than 4s off the lead! That little hesitation in the pits probably cost me 4th, but I'm just happy I survived the Chicane of Death unscathed (though I was overly cautious on a few laps), so I'm taking my points and running.

Last edited:
I just saw that my 176 points for tonight are greyed out! Does this mean only the best single race will count?? My previous race with the karts gave me 189 points.
Same here, my 34 from tonight (in my main account) is grey. "Your best 1 Round(s) will be tallied as of Round 2. Only 1/4 of the total Rounds will be tallied."

Bit of a contradiction there, surely? Maybe once you've completed 5 rounds, the best 2 will be blue?

I hate to say but the game is very hard to take seriously when you get the divebomb from a car failing to brake at Seaside.
Like from 150 yards and two spots back.
Hit so hard at apex through the sand and into the wall...Topping it off a nice sr down.
No pen given...not that it would have mattered losing the 20 odd seconds...
Then from last unable to overtake without getting crashed out.
The 90-92 A S is about the worst lobby to be in imo.
Finally back to 99 so I will see what tomorrow brings...
May just disconnect if I get matched with that group...
It’s either that or bludgeon them all and get sr down while making everyone hate you.
Very very annoying

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY WONT THROW OUT EVERY STUPID TRY AT FIXING THE JOKE PEN SYSTEM
START OVER SHARED FAULT FOR EVERYTHING
FORGET TRYING TO ASSIGN BLAME IF YOU CANT FIGURE OUT HOW!!!

Please PD admit that you need to turn the page and start fresh with every touch sr down for both.

Until that time I’m gonna divebomb also, if there’s no penalty I guess that’s the rules!

Best point finish to date. Super stoked as I started P15 with a bad qual time of mid 142 (door #3). Ran mid 141 in earlier race and practice time of 139.9 so I was off my potential by a lot. Short shifted bulk of race and ran FM 4-6 at times when there was a decent gap in front and in back by >3s. Lots of people pitted early and changing tires. Pretty sure I gained 5 or 6 spots simply on fuel conserving. Got as high as P4 on L9 before pitting for fuel. Then dropped to P11 and worked my way up final 4 laps.

796EWOg.jpg

Last edited:
Raced in the first two slots and got rammed off the track in both attempts :( the guy that pushed me off in the first race finished with 280pts so that's disappointing, it wasn't even a lap one incident. Would have been my best finish yet.

PS. if you form a slipstream train behind me, you can just !@#$ right off when you catch up in the slip and attempt to pass. You made your bed starting your lap, sleep in it.

I hate to say but the game is very hard to take seriously when you get the divebomb from a car failing to brake at Seaside.
Like from 150 yards and two spots back.
Hit so hard at apex through the sand and into the wall...Topping it off a nice sr down.
No pen given...not that it would have mattered losing the 20 odd seconds...
Then from last unable to overtake without getting crashed out.
The 90-92 A S is about the worst lobby to be in imo.
Finally back to 99 so I will see what tomorrow brings...
May just disconnect if I get matched with that group...
It’s either that or bludgeon them all and get sr down while making everyone hate you.
Very very annoying

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY WONT THROW OUT EVERY STUPID TRY AT FIXING THE JOKE PEN SYSTEM
START OVER SHARED FAULT FOR EVERYTHING
FORGET TRYING TO ASSIGN BLAME IF YOU CANT FIGURE OUT HOW!!!

Please PD admit that you need to turn the page and start fresh with every touch sr down for both.

Until that time I’m gonna divebomb also, if there’s no penalty I guess that’s the rules!

Lost the lead to a punt down the same corner - no penalties given. Was hit so bad, I fell to 20th. Next lap, got a penalty after being collected by a spinning car.

Pitted, waited for the race to end. SR dropped to 69 pts.

I'm definitely not racing tomorrow. I'm reconsidering wether I should take part in the remaining FIA races this (re-pre) Season.

EDIT: The punter actually won the race, which is twice as irritating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back