FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't Tokyo be a good chance for Nissan?
Possibly but it's a T16 race which makes it a one-shot. Also, the next two combos favors the Manus that Nissan is competing against, so Tokyo may not matter. Finally, we pretty much agreed we were finished after RBR.

General consensus is Nissan lost out because: top guys politicking PD to nerf Nissan to their benefit, the Manus with FFs jumping Nissan, one of the top scorers dropping out because of age, PD allowing people to switch Manus and a bad Stage 3 schedule.

Still gained something out of it, I suppose, which I can't say for my first attempt with Jaguar in 2018. That one still stings.

Oh yeah, which curve caught you out at Blue Moon?

The part of the course that gave me the most trouble was the infield section between the bridge and the main straight. Turns like those can give the Huracan a hard time.

Or if you’re referring to when I spun out in the first slot, a tire just got caught on the grass. :lol:

Also, check out @Tidgney ‘s video on the car if you want something more in-depth.

Last edited:
My Dad worked for GMC, and I'm from the Detroit area, so they're very much my "home team". Ford is also obviously a home team, but I have a slight preference for GM.

The Corvettes have always been very stable, manageable machines in this game. They're definitely not amazing at any one thing, and as far as I know have NEVER been a META at any track, but I'd say their greatest strength is low-speed acceleration. I can often get away with running 1 gear higher than other cars when accelerating and launch out of corners without even thinking about throttle control.
Nice. One of my Uncles was on the assembly line at the GM Tarrytown, NY plant.
My Mom was a Chrysler nut and I wanted to be different and liked Mustangs since first seeing Bullitt. ;)

Shame they switched to the Supra for this year. Was a awesome car.

Has PD said anything about whether there will be a next season? Unless something changes physics wise from PS4 to 5, then it’s Mazda.
I'm fine with the switch. Mark X ended road car production. There was a rumour GB were switching to the Supra in Super Taikyu. Which we see would up being Super GT.

Now that GB retired the S-Tai Mark X racer, for the new Crown RS. I'm good. :) Love sedan race cars since the Super Touring days.

I ran the RX-VISION when we had the chance to switch. Had fun with it. I feel the GR.4 Atenza, has more off-throttle understeer, than when I first bought the game. It had much sharper handling. Hoping Mazda/PD change or add another the GR.4 car, in the next game.

Welp, guess I'm going to go to the Aston Martin after testing in Free Practice. While the rear end does want to kick out at the hairpins, for me it felt the most stable and controllable under braking and turn-in. I'll have to see how it feels with fuel and tire wear though, with the Beetle being my 2nd choice that I'll also test with fuel and tire wear. The Beetle is the grippiest of the cars I tested but also suffered from the rear coming out under braking sometimes.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731161313.jpg
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731161313.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 10
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731145124.jpg
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731145124.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731151746.jpg
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731151746.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731154018.jpg
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731154018.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731160115.jpg
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200731160115.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 9
Well dang. Did an initial 38.8 in the RC F. 38.640 in the C7. 38.9 in the Viper. 38.8 in the Mustang.
Take the Supra for a run as it's 60% of the top times Aus/NZ. Laid down a 38.105 on the first lap. Exited FP. Ridiculous.

A 650S is P1 and P10. Vantage P3 and P6. I'll try the Vantage.

Just a little tip for the Hurucan and cars that feel edgy entering corners, or where the rear wants to step out...a tiny bit of throttle after setting the car into the turn will help calm it down, since it transfers weight back off the front end. Not a lot, just a small amount similar to trail braking on a car that pushes, but with the throttle for a car thats “loose.“

Off topic: I wish I had more testing time For the FIA races, but working 50+ hour weeks and taking care of a home takes that time away. This is my first FIA season and i’ve done all but one race as a 1 and done, usually with between 15 and 45 minutes of total practice and testing.
The point? What tire strategy’s seem to be close for this weekends races? I’ll likely get one lobby test and the 15 minute warm up before the race. So any help is appreciated. Need to be a little more prepared this weekend if possible, close out strong.

Lastly: I did not know we are not permitted to call out poor sportsmanship on the forum by name, regardless of how Repetitive or detrimental the behavior may be to the community. Had my post edited by a moderator. I suppose there are other ways like reporting them to Sony in an attempt to get them restricted or banned. I’ll pursue that route next time instead now that I know this is not an open forum. My apologies.

How the heck are player setting any lap out of the Vantage? The GR.4 car feels way better.

Ran the GR.3 F-Type. 38.7 with a 38.538 optimum.
Jump in the Vantage. 39.9, 39.5. Optimum 39.353. What the heck? "RH" *doy doy*:lol:

Set a 38.674 Lap1 and 38.449 Lap2; optimum 38.304 on RM. Don't know about this one.

Big Lex versus the world! :lol:
IMG_20200801_150350.jpg

Edit: I'm starting on RH.:scared:
IMG_20200801_151738.jpg

Edit2: Wasn't bad. Except for the daggone Brighteyes or whatever name player couldn't lift off the throttle and bumps me wide. My tyres get dirty, I'm trying to recover and I go off in the final chicane Lap 7. Pit for FRESH RM. Make up time. Cars pit around Lap 12. I go one more for fresh RM. Catch up to P9 and the COD bites. "Here's 1.5s for your troubles.".

IMG_20200801_160238.jpg

No need to refuel. I did on Lap 1. Had 2 laps in the tank at the finish.

Leader looked to do 9RM/9RM/2RH

Traffic wasn't a problem. Me and a Supra pit Lap 1. It was pacey. So, I stayed behind. Lap 6, we catch an AMG that must have been on RH or worn RM. Supra goes through and then, that's when the Brighteyes guy goes on my inside and bumps me at the Larini hairpin.

Last edited:
Anyone try a 3 stop Nations?
Looks like @05XR8 gave it a go. (Misread that, they 2 stopped.) Dont know about anyone else. I think it is going to come down to your traffic situation and how long the pits are. I will probably try a 2 stop with the Beetle as it seems flexible on strategy, but I won't be running till last slot so will most likely be caught out by others finalizing perfect strategies.

And I dont know what it is with the bright little friend in Oceania but there seem to be a few people they can race well with and everyone else gets run out of the way. I just let them through last time I ran against them as it played into my tire strat and minimized the chance I would get launched.

It seems like Lamborghini is getting a bit more shine these days in FIA. I wanna say they are like in the top 10 global Manu rankings. I almost never saw the Huracan in past Manu's or exhibition seasons but now they seem to making a few more "special guest appearances". I know I probably need my head examined for this one... I'm thinking of going with Lamborghini for whenever the next season starts. Any words of wisdom from folks that have chosen them in the past?
I’m no expert so won’t give driving tips but I won’t be picking Lambo again! :lol: I couldn’t handle the GR.3 so missed out those races, especially if I saw Hards had to be used. I loved the GR.4. It was my favourite GR.4 car to drive so that’s why I picked them and had some great races/results. Then it got nerfed a couple of updates back so that was the end of that for me! :lol: Good luck if you go with them.

Long long race. WRX dispatched the 4th placed Cayman early. I should have followed. Figured I stay behind as tyres wore. We built a gap from the Genesis that started behind me.
Coming out of the final chicane, the Cayman starts to spin, I'm trying to dodge it and we connect. 3 seconds for me. Damage control from there. Plus, I get numb finger from Lap 9 to the end. Had to let a train of cars go by(SLS, Jag, Genesis, Citroen), to rest and get the blood flowing on my trigger finger.

Citroen, Jag and Genesis come together at T1, I slip through. TT sticks to me for the remainder of the race.

Long race people. We all said it at the start of the race. No craziness and we all chatted at the end. P1 had numb finger as well. Someone said it didn't show that I was struggling. So, I guess that's good. Thanked everyone and done.

One car that was a few cars ahead, pit late in the race and fell down the order. Again, long race.

IMG_20200801_172052.jpg
IMG_20200801_172043.jpg

Looks like @05XR8 gave it a go. (Misread that, they 2 stopped.) Dont know about anyone else. I think it is going to come down to your traffic situation and how long the pits are. I will probably try a 2 stop with the Beetle as it seems flexible on strategy, but I won't be running till last slot so will most likely be caught out by others finalizing perfect strategies.

Figured it might be worth a crack if space can be found. Was thinking something like 6M/6M/2H/6M. The hard is just such a slow tyre in this game, and tonnes of time can be lost through S2 on degrading rubber.

I ran the race on Monday in our private league using the Viper. In our community we are at least 8 players with DR between 40k and 65k or with a pace to be at that level(but not racing in dailies or FIA because of the punting that can happen).

I tried a 8M-3H-9M strategy with a bit of shortshift and I would have finish 2nd by some margin if not crashing in the chicane in 8th lap - had to settle for 6th in the end. I think as long as you're putting 39's on Mediums and 40's on Hards you should be able to fight at least for the podium(in lobbies if 40-50k DR).

Would you believe the Beetle needs fuel? Qualified p7 with a decent enough lap for me. Move up, end up p2 before pit on lap 9. Come out in traffic but move fast amd ok. When I pit lap 11 I am 2 laps short on fuel? So I put in enough that I have a lap spare. Cross the line with 2 laps to go and have 1.5 laps left?

Have to shift down fuel mode and short shift. Focusing on that too much I run wide at the hairpin after the COD and my 5 second lead on p4 becomes 1.8. They run me down. I am defending, but wobble on the last lap exiting the hairpin after the esses and they get me. It was close. But finished p3 and added I think 3 points to my total. At least it counted.

Overall a good race, but when did the beetle become a heavy drinker?

Always has been :) I did wonder why people had mentioned it as a good option. I was with WV for FIA a while back and Beetle would need to pit a lap before everyone else for fuel.
Man, things I wish I knew earlier. :lol:

@xxPinkyKissxx you aren't running an aussie alt are you? Driver I am.battling with in jag at the moment is pinky as well. Just using a hammer.

Edit: And what a link to set off on. Start p3. Run clean first 2 laps, get a big gap to p4, then I get an iffy penalty for clipping the chicane, by maybe a couple of pixels. 1.5 penalty. At the zone my 3.8 second lead shifts to 0.5 at the chicane. I mess up at the degners and my pink opponent catches up. They push inside at the hairpin and tap me a bit, tapping all the way to spoon, where I drift wide and they go through.

They are also the person immediately behind me in rankings at jaguar.

I cruise right on their tail for a lap or 2, avoiding any crazy passes even though I have the chances. Heading into spoon on lap 6ish they brake check me, hitting the brakes a solid 50m earlier than before, or on any lap after. I lock it down, and even though I tap them a bit there is no penalty. After that I get a 0.5 clipping one of the degners and spend the next few laps catching up. I finally get a good pass on them lap 11 as they run wide at 130R and start to spin. I dart inside to get by. But doing that means I actually saved them from a 100pct wipeout and they are on my tail.

They do have a 1 sec penalty so I dont worry too much, but on the second half of spoon they launch a crazy dive and clip me. I saw them coming and held off and wide, but they nearly took me out. Serve their penalty and I bring it home an annoyed p3. Might have had the chance to race p2, but never will know. Still added 4 points to my total. And they apologize afterwards so mot too bad.

It was fun racing. Good luck and hot laps to you all out there for your races, I am out of here.:cheers:👍

Last edited:
I did some testing for Nations last night, the Beetle ended up being the fastest car for me, just slightly faster than the Viper. You have to save a bit of fuel with it, but not that much, in the practice race I was shifting around 84-90% most of the time. It’s really good on tires too, I was duking it out with @PirovacBoy for the entire first stint almost and I was still able to go 10M/9M/1H. Not sure if that’s the fastest combination of stops though, I might try a practice race with something like 12M/8H or 14M/6H today just to see which way is faster. :)

CF78963D-8747-4667-9250-99A3C370A23C.jpeg
B4C6F61A-068C-4F2E-A81B-4C6B7E5037B7.jpeg
FC492852-EC3B-4A64-B0B1-29209A40BCF2.jpeg
ADB50184-F8F0-4EDC-9AB6-964B7627D555.jpeg
4317C98C-F2A1-4767-B8E5-9E4C68E5174E.jpeg

I did some testing for Nations last night, the Beetle ended up being the fastest car for me, just slightly faster than the Viper. You have to save a bit of fuel with it, but not that much, in the practice race I was shifting around 84-90% most of the time. It’s really good on tires too, I was duking it out with @PirovacBoy for the entire first stint almost and I was still able to go 10M/9M/1H. Not sure if that’s the fastest combination of stops though, I might try a practice race with something like 12M/8H or 14M/6H today just to see which way is faster. :)

View attachment 945494 View attachment 945495 View attachment 945496 View attachment 945497 View attachment 945498
It was a real pleasure and extremely close racing. I was just able to keep up with you Mr.P :cheers: the sprint crossing the finish line separating us by 00:00;014 was just epic :D

Didn't make Nations Top 16 despite being 15th overall in region. It sucks. I felt like I could have jagged a decent result with decent points... if I didn't hit the wall. But then again I guess that logic applies to everyone here.

Manufacturers Top 16
I qualified 8th (without a tow) in the Alfa. That was my mistake. The car has pretty decent pace but not enough power to overtake or defend a pass. Ended up finishing P10 which is about the best I could have expected given where I qualified, and the cars I qualified around.

Watch out for penalties. Any front-to-rear contact will probably give you a penalty, and there are zero strategy options to nullify it.

Looking forward to the season being over next week, to be honest.

Qualified 9th at Dragon Trail. Lost out in the concertina in the first few corners. Got a 2 second penalty for hitting a lagging South African in the esses on lap 3. Quit after hitting the chicane for the second straight lap on lap 10.

I really can never find a rhythm in the reverse layout of this track. The chicane especially is even worse than normal, I just can't figure out where to aim for car for on entry.

I spent half of my race staring at the back of a Hyundai Genesis being driven like one of its Karenwagon stablemates. After qualifying 17th, I managed to finish 10th instead of 13th thanks to a pile-up at Casio Triangle on L15 involving an Atenza, 86 and Scirocco. At least the Slophy doesn't munch its tyres or guzzle fuel.

My % successfully making it through the Chicane of Death with Option 1 is not good and know I'm in for a beating later today. To further complicate matters, Results 1(c) (without penalty) and 2(d) are pretty much equivalent time wise.

Option 1.
Lift off and turn in to the left when the curbing starts. Initiate second turn to the right when nose clears the wall on the left. Possible downshift, stick the landing, and return to power on.

Result 1(a). hit the building (5%)
Result 1(b). hard hit of the wall (15%)
Result 1(c). glancing hit of the wall (35%)
Result 1(d). Success (50%)

Option 2.
Tap of the brakes, downshift, and take the chicane
Result 2(a). hit the building. (0%)
Result 2(b). hard hit of the wall (0%)
Result 2(c). glancing hit of the wall (2.5%)
Result 2(d). Success (97.5%)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back