FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully I haven't been paired up with him since then, but everyone here should know that he isn't going to drive clean and to be prepared for some 12-year-old Forza-style ramming and blocking from him. I'm not usually one to condone revenge moves, but honestly, punting him into the gravel or purposefully giving him penalties to get him stuck towards the back is probably the only real way to deal with him.
Yeah probably best if more people know about him and just put him straight into the wall to be honest!

Edit: over zealous moderation surely? I didn't even call ***** a bad or dirty driver! I just alluded to the fact he got a taste of his own medicine (which is there for all to see on YouTube) and maybe this individual wreaking havoc in some NA FIA races could suffer the same fate

Last edited:
I hope. I 🤬 hope.
Because no way I'm getting GT7 AND the PS5 on release, or even like 3 years after they release.
Blame my country's economy, or lack thereof. 1 USD here = 100 argentine pesos last time I checked. 🤬 nuts :banghead:.

And seeing how they've treated GT5 and 6's onlines, I think after GT7 releases we will see Sport dead in a year and a half. Unless they keep it going because of it being FIA-endorsed and all, and since GT7 is pretty much built on the Sport engine. We'll see. I keep my hopes up :D.

I've also decided on my manufacturer. Bring on the EVOOOOOO! *drumroll* :mischievous:

View attachment 944914

View attachment 944913
Boy you can really tell you're new to FIA races

Off pace in qualifying and started 10th. Good to see @csmirnoff and @Jwptexas in the room. Went with the 2 stop strategy as I wanted to get out of the mid pack as quick as possible on softs. Pitted for mediums starting lap 12 staying in the lower top 10 for the rest of the race then switched to hards on the final lap finishing P10. Did an race earlier before this and finished 14th cause of a last lap penalty giving me 2 secs for barely touching the car ahead... I'm happy with the P10 finish but with the current system I don't think I'm going to bother with Tokyo Expressway and end it at Nurburgring GP, We'll see.

Hey, mom! I made it onto the list again! :lol:

20200730_105837.jpg

Now, if Formula 1 is anything to go by, we should take free practice times with a grain of salt as teams are going out there to see what works and what doesn't, and getting valuable feedback from the drivers over three sessions...

...but this is GT Sport. We go flat out in free practice :lol:!

Still have a few tenths to gain in the esses and some other corners due to throttle doubting, but I'm quite surprised with the Lancer's pace. It's a very handling-oriented car with other traits like rock-solid stability thanks to AWD, and faster acceleration than other handling cars out of tight corners like the 86, however it lacks in top end speed as I had some of my distance closed up by the ghosts when we were up to 130R. Still, the handling is pretty good and I love Suzuka, I will not be passing this opportunity up :D.

Hey, mom! I made it onto the list again! :lol:

View attachment 945097

Now, if Formula 1 is anything to go by, we should take free practice times with a grain of salt as teams are going out there to see what works and what doesn't, and getting valuable feedback from the drivers over three sessions...

...but this is GT Sport. We go flat out in free practice :lol:!

Still have a few tenths to gain in the esses and some other corners due to throttle doubting, but I'm quite surprised with the Lancer's pace. It's a very handling-oriented car with other traits like rock-solid stability thanks to AWD, and faster acceleration than other handling cars out of tight corners like the 86, however it lacks in top end speed as I had some of my distance closed up by the ghosts when we were up to 130R. Still, the handling is pretty good and I love Suzuka, I will not be passing this opportunity up :D.

Be careful with the tires.

Wasn't expecting to race last night at all, but i managed to get into the final top-split slot totally cold. Qualifying was meh but somehow moved from 14th to 4th in the opening 6 laps. Unfortunately got distracted and blew a braking point ending the race and ruining a teammates as well. But shockingly I was on for a podium out of nowhere, the AMG was very strong here last night. It's always been a preferred track of mine, will have to make an effort next time it comes up.

Highlight of the race was this double overtake on the outside.

Last edited:
Wasn't expecting to race last night at all, but i managed to get into the final top-split slot totally cold. Qualifying was meh but somehow moved from 14th to 4th in the opening 6 laps. Unfortunately got distracted and blew a braking point ending the race and ruining a teammates as well. But shockingly I was on for a podium out of nowhere, the AMG was very strong here last night. It's always been a preferred track of mine, will have to make an effort next time it comes up.

I saw a watermelon Beetle in my race yesterday under a different PSN ID and thought it was you on an alt account.

I was a little envious of the AMG when I got behind one... I could do my best and then some, carrying lots of speed into, and through Wirth, only to watch the AMG just pull away from there up the incline to the final sector and Rindt turn. Seemed really well suited to the track. Anything I could gain in the first half of a lap would be lost from that point on.

I was set up for a good result last night, but PD wasn't having it. I got a 2 second penalty from brushing a team mate while trying to avoid him. The 2 second penalty ultimately cost me 5-ish seconds of time and a 7th or 8th place finish.

The link should be time stamped to the incident:

The jury is still out for how much I like the M6. At least it looks good. :lol:

8152088184052809752_0.jpg

With the number of times I've run the Red Bull Ring this FIA season, I'm starting to get a hang of it now I think, and because we had the 3-tire-choice/2-required-tire option for this round, I was feeling like I could get a good result. I was matched up with @Jwptexas and a couple of other familiar faces, so I knew it was going to be a good race.

For qualifying, since the Red Bull Ring is a power circuit, I tried to get a draft for my first lap. Unfortunately, the person in front wasn't the quickest and I caught up to them, and also my unfamiliarity of braking points while under the draft didn't help, but I still set a time that was around my lobby sim times on Softs. I went out again for solo runs and cut a few tenths off that time, which in the end only put me in 10th, but this was fine as I decided to start on Mediums, giving me the option to 1 or 2 stop.

Race start was a bit embarrassing. I set the Fuel Map to 6, but because I haven't messed with the Fuel Map in a while, I pressed the D-pad in the wrong direction and ended up starting the race still in Fuel Map 6. By the time I got it back up to 1, the Alfa behind me was breathing down my neck and making a move on me into T1. Luckily for me though, the Atenza ahead of me got T1 all wrong and the Alfa behind me overshot, letting me keep 10th. I'm forced around the outside of Remus and Schlossgold by the Atenza, with an AMG GT pulling alongside, trying to get a move done into Rauch. However, I'm able to defend. The Atenza goes into the pits and it turns out they were on Hards. From the pace of the cars behind me, I could tell they were on Softs. I didn't want to defend too hard and lose too much time, but at the same time, if I could hold some of them up for a bit, it could help me for my Softs stint.

Coming into Remus on Lap 2, it's clear I'm a roadblock. I end up getting bump drafted, but thanks to the stupid penalty system, I get an SR down. Luckily though, I don't get a time penalty, and I'm able to keep defending my position up until Rindt when the AMG GT gets a good pass done on the inside, which I didn't defend against. Furthermore, the pack I'm in was catching up to the pack ahead that contained 3rd-8th, because they were fighting a ton. Watching the replay, it turns out there were a few Medium drivers in their pack holding up the Soft drivers as well.

I tailed the AMG GT for Lap 3, with another Soft driver closing quickly. Turns out they didn't need to do much to pass me though because I braked too late into Remus and got a poor exit, letting them go by without incident, leaving me in 10th place. After that, I'm able to begin opening a gap to the people behind while also not losing the pack ahead, even when I do get a 0.5s track limit penalty on Lap 6. This does, however, let an M6 get in striking range of me, who I have to defend against for the next 2 laps.

I dive into the pits at the end of Lap 9, throw on Softs, and take a splash of fuel, coming out 13th and in clean air. Time to put my head down and get some fast laps in. I pass 2 people coming out of the pits by Lap 12, and after someone ahead serves a penalty, my fresh Softs allow me to easily outbrake them into Schlossgold, putting me back into 10th. I'm now at the back of a pack containing 7th-9th, turning into 6th-8th as we pass someone pitting. I'm stuck behind them until the final corner of Lap 14, where an NSX ahead gets it all wrong and I sail by. Furthermore, @Jwptexas ahead has an unfortunate incident coming into the pit lane which dumped him back out onto the track with only 0.2 laps of fuel remaining, but the auto-drive feature shoots his car back onto the racing line. I swerve to avoid his bot-controlled car and take 7th. I claim 6th easily as a person ahead gets loose at the exit of Remus and goes into the grass, and it's down to me hunting 5th place. I get a track-limits penalty that I serve on Lap 16, but I'm back on 5th place's tail by the end of Lap 17. They go wide into T8 and get a 1s penalty, so although they defend Remus and get a better exit, I'm able to pass easily. I dive into the pits for Hards at the end of lap 18, as does everyone immediately behind me, and come out in 6th.

I cruise on home to take.... 5th, as the leader ended up not taking Hards and got slapped with a 1 min penalty, meaning I finish with 171 points, which helps add to my point total. I felt I had good pace, and I got the strategy right, leading to a good result and a good points gain. While I feel 4th was easily an option if I didn't make the mistakes nor get the penalties, 5th is still a good enough result for me.

Double report here one for nations and one for manu.

First Nations: the meme race of the decade, both in the first and second slot of the night I managed to get taken out by someone coming across on the embankments after loosing control.

I was about to quit for the night, but I decided to give myself one more shot, I managed to put myself in the top 4 for qualifying and stayed there for the first lap or so, jostling for position until at the end of lap one I managed to make a break for the lead.

I hugged the the turn coming into the start finish line at the end of the first lap. the speed advantage of taking the turns that way netted me the lead, and the eventual race win.
keDaD8c.jpg

wu2FjRM.jpg

Now manufacturers: Second slot of the night, I only managed to get about 10 minutes of warm up before qualifying, the result was obvious at the end of the session with a P10 starting position.

I have a vague idea of the strat, so I opted to go 10-8-1 starting on the mediums, I kept my nose clean and made my way up the field. The viper can be thirsty at times, this cost me valuable time as I pushed too hard on my soft stint to try to catch the leaders.

I hit the pits at the end of lap 18 in second, and had to do a quick splash and dash of fuel which ended up costing me a podium position, but overall a great result, moving from p10 to p4 and keeping my racecraft clean and fair made it an enjoyable
GyupSqN.jpg

DgaXwZ5.jpg

with the season coming to an end I assume that soon we would have to decide if we are to stick with our current manufacturer or to sign with another one.

I have been with Renault, but the BoP updates have slowed the Megane and the RSO is just a bit of a bitch to drive. So what should my new manufacturer be.......

No FF car for me, I am pretty sure a future BoP update will hit them hard. And not one of the big brands that everybody is signing up with, like Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes.

Is Honda an option? or Mazda? perhaps Lexus is any good? any thoughts or suggestions? what brand has a reasonable car in both Gr 3 and 4?

any brand that camouflages poor driving skills?

seriously considering Lexus......
just like how they look......

I am considering a change as well. I started at the end of the prior season and also used Renault. I really like the Megane, but the RSO was very hard for me to handle as well. So I switched to VW for the current season. Both the Scirocco and Beetle are very forgiving and easy to drive. You said you wanted to move away from FF though, so that rules out VW.

Now I want to try something new to learn some more cars, so I am considering Chevy, Lexus, and Hyundai for next season. I've been practicing with both the Gr 3 and Gr 4 cars for all 3 of these manufacturers over the past few weeks and they each are pretty fun to drive and seem fairly competitive at a variety of tracks. I used the Lexus Gr 3 at Red Bull a few weeks ago and it was way better for me than the Beetle was there yesterday.

I may use the Corvette or the Genesis in this Saturday's Nations race to see how I like those. So far they are both pretty good in free practice at the Seaside track for me (and faster than the Beetle).

Well after the Nations round at SSRX where I ran the last 4 slots my game has been acting odd. Someone I was racing with in the 3rd slot who I had been bump drafting nearly the whole race gets a warning that the next Contact will result in disqualification. So naturally he gets bumpdrafted and instantly sent to the pits. In the 4th slot he rejoins after running a clean daily race or two and is instantly met with the message again upon leaving the pits in quali. He eventually gets touched and DQ'd again. I run most of the race in the lead being bump drafted. On lap 2 backstraight I now get the warning and instantly pull out of the draft and social distance myself til the end of the race. No warnings or SR drops. 99 all the way thru and then one touch by anyone and you get DQ'd. Well apparently whatever this deep state penalty system is doing it has managed to not go away. Next day in Manufacturer it rares it's ugly head again. Get playfully bumped at the end of warmup and find myself getting the warning leaving pits for Quali and once the race starts. One side by side and that's my race over. Didn't DQ to the pits but rather straight out of the lobby.

A second lesser inconvenience but still annoying is I can no longer see ghosts in practice time trials. Tried using controller and wheel. Remapped it and nothing. Other things like lights and wipers work when I reassign them but somehow the View/Hide Ghost does nothing. Both ghosts are turned on in ghost settings. Even went and tried a Lewis Hamilton TT and not only can I not see him but the live delta to him gives no reading just L. Hamilton.

Any help appreciated if not I'm probably done with this game.

EUvjy1f.jpg

2P3aoWF.jpg

Edit: Fixed the ghost issue just had to delete some replays and free up space. I've had the low space warning flash before but never had it impact ghosts.

Last edited:
I was set up for a good result last night, but PD wasn't having it. I got a 2 second penalty from brushing a team mate while trying to avoid him. The 2 second penalty ultimately cost me 5-ish seconds of time and a 7th or 8th place finish.

The link should be time stamped to the incident:

The jury is still out for how much I like the M6. At least it looks good. :lol:

8152088184052809752_0.jpg

Same regarding the M6. Love the look and the sound. Pretty good on fuel when short shifting. Loses out on the top end. Overall solidly mid-pack performance wise.

That low end wheelspin is so nasty though. And I’m really losing my love of the M4. PD did it dirty by adding more weight.

Unsure if I’ll stay with them next season.

Honda is a very solid all-round bet for those considering a switch for next season. Both Gr.3 and 4 NSX's are consistent on tyre's and very decent on fuel. Whilst the Gr.3 NSX can be a bit tricky to learn at first (similarly to the 458 and Huracan), with a bit of practice it becomes a really nice, smooth car to drive, just got to be careful of over-zealous curb usage. Otherwise both are very competitive runners, and as shown can certainly be front runners in the right hands, though I'm nowhere near quick enough or reliable to unlock all it's potential :lol:.

Last edited:
Same regarding the M6. Love the look and the sound. Pretty good on fuel when short shifting. Loses out on the top end. Overall solidly mid-pack performance wise.

That low end wheelspin is so nasty though. And I’m really losing my love of the M4. PD did it dirty by adding more weight.

Unsure if I’ll stay with them next season.

It's funny because I left the Z4 when we were allowed to switch manu's and decided to go with the M6, but last night was the first chance I got to race it in an FIA event. I finally spent a lot of time in it and it's kind of a PITA. LOL! Because I missed most of this season I might give BMW another shot next season, I hate giving up on stuff and I feel like there is a lot more pace for me to find in the M6.

This season is the most uncompetitive I've felt in a long time, so I don't know if it's using BMW, if there is a lot more talent competing in FIA, or if it's my lack of time on the rig. It's probably a combination of all 3. :dopey:

Any help appreciated if not I'm probably done with this game.

EUvjy1f.jpg

2P3aoWF.jpg

Hey mate, didn't know you were a GTP member! I remember a great battle for the win we had at Tsukuba in one of the exhibition seasons. Won that day but then I couldn't keep up, you improved your DR a lot and you are now in top splits and top 16s, congrats!! :cheers:

As for your issue, check this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/nations-dq-issue-route-x.395226/. According to one of the posts, it clears after completing a race without the DQ. Maybe go to a daily race, start at the back and stay there, away from the pack? You will lose some DR, but if it fixes the problem, it's worth it.

Red Bull Ring was likely the last best shot for Nissan. Didn't work out. Even with soft tires available, the car lost too much pace trying to fuel save so I didn't bother.

On the flip side, that made for some fun moments. A drag down the straight going three wide? Yes, please.

Eventually took a win in a late slot because I wanted to get a final one for Nissan this season.

It's funny because I left the Z4 when we were allowed to switch manu's and decided to go with the M6, but last night was the first chance I got to race it in an FIA event. I finally spent a lot of time in it and it's kind of a PITA. LOL! Because I missed most of this season I might give BMW another shot next season, I hate giving up on stuff and I feel like there is a lot more pace for me to find in the M6.

This season is the most uncompetitive I've felt in a long time, so I don't know if it's using BMW, if there is a lot more talent competing in FIA, or if it's my lack of time on the rig. It's probably a combination of all 3. :dopey:
It’s a PITA for sure. Especially in low-grip corner exits like turn 2(3?) at RBR. There’s so much low end torque with the turbos. But on the other hand the tire wear is quite balanced and it’s very stable under braking.

One thing it has taught me over this season is better throttle control though. Which translated to better driving in other cars like the Supra and GTR.

Not to say I’m any faster from it now haha. My lack of motivation to race and subsequent lack of practice has been glaringly apparent in my recent FIA performances.

Is testing offline in a custom race any different from testing in a lobby online? If it's not then I have my strategy already :cheers:.

I use the custom races all the time to practice for the FIA races. I have found that my tire wear and fuel usage are the same in the custom races as they are in the FIA races. So they have been useful to pick my pit strategy for FIA. Keep in mind, though, that I am a low DR B driver, so I'm not really going to notice if my lap times are few tenths different per lap between the two races :).

The only race that was really different was the Spa race in the rain. I had a ton of grip and much faster lap times in the custom race than the FIA race. The custom race was kind of fun, the FIA version was a slippery disaster for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back