FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well was an OK night of 2 Nationals races for me. Only time I’ve raced here was the last time it was Nationals, but I felt ok after some warm ups, and hit my normal goal of getting under 2secs of @Pigems qualifing time (I don’t care if I ran 20 more laps :P)

Both races I just drove my best. Both races I was outta my league and not comfortable with the track enough - to push or challenge anyone, just tried to stay clean and on the track.

Race 1 - Q14 finish P12. Happy with that! Good race for me and avoided the carnage. I messed up CoD once which caused a little domino effect from 2 other cars but both seemed ok and understanding in chat :)

Race 2 - My first all DR-A race, oh boy! Door #20, Q18 (I think).
Spun on lap 2, sending me to last with a 10sec gap, and ran alone (not impressively lol) almost all race. Got P17 from a couple who spun near the end. Rough race, but wasn’t expecting anything lol!

Hope you all stayed safe through CoD, and got some points!

Race 28 - Suzuka - 6 minute race edit
Not the pace I wanted in qualifying, but still yielded me a 6th place on the grid with number 8 on the door.
My goal at this point was to get into the top 5 as that would yield me an increase on the total points.
In the first turn, a car went wide and I was driving in 5th. During the first lap I could stay with the BMW infront of me (LR-MR-COLE) who I was in hot pursuit of for the rest of the race.
I don't want to spoil the result, but the result was much better than I hoped for ....
Enjoy:

I just checked the Manufacturer results, and I was actually Chevy's best-scoring driver in North America at Suzuka. In fact, I was their quickest driver for BOTH Suzuka Gr. 4 races (as well as Gr. 4 at Laguna Seca). Unfortunately none of my scores actually contributed to Chevy's overall score - not even my good race yesterday which was my 2nd best points haul from a race this season.

Race 28 - Suzuka - 6 minute race edit
Not the pace I wanted in qualifying, but still yielded me a 6th place on the grid with number 8 on the door.
My goal at this point was to get into the top 5 as that would yield me an increase on the total points.
In the first turn, a car went wide and I was driving in 5th. During the first lap I could stay with the BMW infront of me (LR-MR-COLE) who I was in hot pursuit of for the rest of the race.
I don't want to spoil the result, but the result was much better than I hoped for ....
Enjoy:
[/QUOTE

I am not going to spoil, but that was impressive!

Gutted I missed Dragon Trail Seaside 2 and Suzuka yesterday. They're two of my favourite tracks but after the last FIA races I dropped to 70 SR. I tried to recover it by foolishly entering a few daily races on Tuesday, I had a DR reset and went from 32k DR/99 SR to 2K DR/1 SR. I was fuming so much I haven't touched the game since.

Gutted I missed Dragon Trail Seaside 2 and Suzuka yesterday. They're two of my favourite tracks but after the last FIA races I dropped to 70 SR. I tried to recover it by foolishly entering a few daily races on Tuesday, I had a DR reset and went from 32k DR/99 SR to 2K DR/1 SR. I was fuming so much I haven't touched the game since.
For future reference: the best way to build SR is to run a FIA. Early slot for rebuild, then later slot for points

They should in an ideal world. But this is PD we're talking about so I'm willing to tolerate 1-2 km/h margin. Also if you use mph as the speed measure they all probably are within <1 mph so whoever testing it probably thought it was good enough.

Slightly OT but I love your throwback youtube streams with GT1/2. As someone who grew up with these games and know them back to front, I love seeing your fresh reactions to discovering all the quirky and awesome cars in the first 2 games. GT2 especially has heaps of awesome prize cars and I can't wait to see you discovering them :D

Ahhh of course, mph/kmh that makes sense me being a bit dopey haha!

Haha, ye gran turismo 1 I played so much as a child, but having never played GT2, my word what an upgrade it was from GT1!! Glad you're liking them though, although my thumbs were killing after the last one haha!

There was also this incident during the race:

Earlier this person tried to run me off the track on the exit of the 1st hairpin after the Chicane of Death, then at the incident in the video they had just served a penalty and nudged me off the track as I overtook them. I was worried the game would give me a penalty after they spun off track due to contact with me, but I got away with it! :lol:

Don't know if it is the same guy (could be an alt account, probably not), but he uses the same name as a French guy who became famous for that type of driving in EMEA region...

NA T16 for Manu had a lot more drama than expected. I won't really get into it here but even with the incidents, I couldn't really take advantage. Nissan was out so I only put in about an hour of practice total. In fairness, these T16s always fall on a bad day since I work and only get a few minutes to get warmed up.

I just checked the Manufacturer results, and I was actually Chevy's best-scoring driver in North America at Suzuka. In fact, I was their quickest driver for BOTH Suzuka Gr. 4 races (as well as Gr. 4 at Laguna Seca). Unfortunately none of my scores actually contributed to Chevy's overall score - not even my good race yesterday which was my 2nd best points haul from a race this season.
I am loving the Corvette now, both GR3 and GR4, it’s usually not Alpha, but now it’s always competitive. I felt really competitive at Suzuka. Just needed a clean race. I am scoring well also. 2 races to go. Good luck!

Well, this evening was rather eventful in Nations. Pretty straightforward in Manufacturers.

Nations Slot 1: Got placed into 2nd or 1st split with @Winnie847 and some other drivers I didn't have a hope of keeping up with. Unsurprisingly I qualified 14th, so I went with a 2H/6M/6M/6M strategy and finished 9th. Points weren't enough to count, so I had to go again.

Manufacturers Slot 1: Once again was with @Winnie847, and also this time @Razgriz2118 joined us. I qualified 7th and finished 5th after taking advantage of some mistakes and a disconnect, and in spite of running wide between Turns 1 and 2 twice. I got 195 points, which was enough to count towards my final score, but it barely improved my score so I decided to go again.

Nations Slot 2: I was hoping that the Top 16 race would take all of the faster drivers I ran into in the 1st slot, and it appears that it worked. I qualified 2nd, and led the first 3 laps...until I spun myself when I ran wide on the final corner. :banghead:. I also got bitten by the Chicane of Death later. I was looking at at least a podium finish before I took myself out. Running 8th and far from any meaningful points on the last lap, I threw the car at some walls in frustration and finished 16th.

Manufacturers Slot 2: Ran into @Winnie847 yet again, as well at @Granadier. This time I qualified 4th and finished 3rd. I ran as high as 2nd after @Winnie847 got a stupid 0.5s in the very first turn of the race and one of the other front-runners spun in the same spot a little bit later. Eventually I let @Winnie847 by going into Turn 1 after he had a look inside, and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep him behind. The 3 of us at the front had built a nice gap back to 4th place, and I didn't want to risk fighting and having them catch up, plus I was hoping @Winnie847 could run down the leader, they'd get into a battle, and I'd be able to pass at least one of them. :lol:. In spite of running wide at both Turn 1 and 130R, I held on to 3rd for 210 points, which is my 2nd best score. The effect of the buff the Gr. 4 Corvette got at the first BoP update is very obvious; at the first Manufacturers Championship round at Suzuka, I had to drive the wheels off of the car just to get 9th for 144 points. Of course this meant I was done with Manufacturer's for the evening.

Nations Slot 3: Once again got put into Top Split with @Winnie847, and this time @SpecMiata-JSW also joined us. I was determined to get points after stupidly ruining my own race last time (as well as last weekend's Nation's race, where I put the car on pole and jumped the start...). I qualified 8th and opted for a 2-stop race when previously I'd been doing 3 stops. I finished 7th for 193 points, which was short of my 200 point goal, but still improved my points total by 18. Unfortunately the game gave @SpecMiata-JSW a stupid penalty after I lightly tapped them in the rear on the run to the 2nd hairpin. Nothing happened to either of us, but the game decided they deserved a 2s penalty. Thankfully they didn't lose anymore spots due to the 2s penalty other than to me. There was also this incident during the race:

Earlier this person tried to run me off the track on the exit of the 1st hairpin after the Chicane of Death, then at the incident in the video they had just served a penalty and nudged me off the track as I overtook them. I was worried the game would give me a penalty after they spun off track due to contact with me, but I got away with it! :lol: Also, yes I chose to use the Corvette. In my practice sessions, none of the commonly used cars were appreciably faster than the Corvette, so I decided to stick with it.

Good racing with you last night, it's always fun to share the track with a respectful driver.

PD didn't want me to do well last night, they kept giving me undeserved penalties. The penalties are so bad it makes you nervous to pass, which hinders the quality of racing. Even with the penalty system being bad, it was still fun to get on and race. It's pretty cool when you do 5 of the 6 FIA race slots and through the entire evening only come across one or two bad drivers who intentionally take you out or block you turn after turn.

I actually think the simplest problem was that they allowed bump drafting. Any of those cars against each other in a two car race and it could have gone either way, get a bunch of 458s bump drafting and they push and pull each other away, which people figured out pretty quickly and so the races became trains with there being no benefit to pulling out of the train. No bump drafting/contact (or at least limited) would have made all cars competitive in a race of twenty.

It would be interesting to see what the Huayra - which got dropped if it wasn't pushed - would do with 1% more power, whether it suddenly became OP
The biggest problem with they Huayra wasn't the power, it was that the gears were too short. While getting up to speed, the Huayra had no problems keeping up, but it hit the redline in top gear in the slipstream at 260 mph while the Ferraris were still accelerating at that point.

Example:

As you can see, I got dropped even WHILE being pushed.

I just did a few laps around Tsukuba in the group B cars as I have pretty much no experience in them. Cam anyone give me any indication as to why people are all over the RCZ? I felt fine lapping in the genesis, better than the pug even. Is there something I am missing about the cars that would cost me?

As I will be in a mid to low B lobby I dont think it is a real worry, but just thinking about tire wear or something as there is only 1 real straight there.

Aww man I’m sorry to hear about your DR reset. I primarily do FIA but every now again I’ll enter the dailies to try and build my DR. And almost every time I walk away thinking maybe I shouldn’t have.
Cheers mate. At the time of it happening I just stared in to space for about a minute before removing the disc. It took all my inner strength not to snap it in two!

I love the FIA races but there’s not enough of them. Maybe I’ll just do lobby races in future between the FIAs.

I’ll probably try this week’s daily races and just not qualify to get my SR up. As soon as it’s back up to A/S I’ll stop again. Going to take some time to get that and my DR back up, though.

I just did a few laps around Tsukuba in the group B cars as I have pretty much no experience in them. Cam anyone give me any indication as to why people are all over the RCZ? I felt fine lapping in the genesis, better than the pug even. Is there something I am missing about the cars that would cost me?

As I will be in a mid to low B lobby I dont think it is a real worry, but just thinking about tire wear or something as there is only 1 real straight there.

The RCZ is their chosen car because they are excellent drivers and it’s twitchy slidey feel makes THEM faster. Basically it rotates better. For us average racers it’s a little bit of a handful to get consistent laps. If you can’t practice 400 to 500 miles in it, To gain consistency, try something else. I tested a few so far and like the WRX way better, I got some laps in the low 55’s and was actually not only faster, but FAR more consistent as well.

Also note that these cars don’t like early down shifting, use the brakes and downshift for the final bit of rotation of the car, not too soon which will unsettle all the GRB cars, especially the RCZ.

The RCZ is their chosen car because they are excellent drivers and it’s twitchy slidey feel makes THEM faster. Basically it rotates better. For us average racers it’s a little bit of a handful to get consistent laps. If you can’t practice 400 to 500 miles in it, To gain consistency, try something else. I tested a few so far and like the WRX way better, I got some laps in the low 55’s and was actually not only faster, but FAR more consistent as well.

Also note that these cars don’t like early down shifting, use the brakes and downshift for the final bit of rotation of the car, not too soon which will unsettle all the GRB cars, especially the RCZ.
Thanks. That sort of matches what I was feeling. I was plenty stable in the Hyundai and lapping consistent in the 55s. Guess I will just stick to that. And yeah, an early downshift in those things is ugly. Are we allowed to play with the power distribution setting or is that one that gets fixed? I found it made a massive difference in the handling.

Nations, Slot 1

I wasn't sure how to feel going into this race, so I went in without many expectations. There was a friendly face in the lobby, and no trouble-makers, so I was hoping the race would be good. From the testing I did, the Aston felt the best to me and I set my quickest time in it, so it was my go-to, and turns out, a lot of people in this lobby chose it as well.

Qualifying was a disaster. I got a poor first lap without slipstream, falling too far behind the people in front. The second lap I messed up the high-speed esses, and the third lap I slammed into the Chicane of Death, so I started 16th on the grid... which turned into 15th as someone disconnected at the race start. Being so far back, I decided to start on the Hards and commit to a 2 stop strategy. Recently strategy has been going well for me, so I was hoping for it to pull through again.

The race start was chaos. The pole-sitter had a bad connection and caused the top 8 cars to come to a stop, side-by-side, at the line, bunching the whole field up and causing a lot of contact. I played it cautious into T1 and the COD due to how the field was bunched together. I almost made it through unscathed, but an incident at the exit of the COD saw me go into the back of the AMG GT ahead of me, luckily without a penalty. I come out of the COD in 14th, on the tail of an Aston with a 1s penalty and the AMG GT ahead with a 4s penalty, meaning I go up to 12th at the end of Lap 1.

Coming into the COD at Lap 2, an incident ahead sees an Aston going slowly and decides to stay on the racing line, who then unghosts just as I'm about to pass through them, netting me a 1 second penalty. I then get another SR down as I rear-end them coming into the hairpin as they go extremely slowly through the corner. I serve my penalty, falling down to 14th, and I pit for my first set of Mediums, coming out in 16th. Now it's just putting in the good laps and catching up to groups ahead.

On Lap 4 I inherit 15th as the COD claims another victim, who this time does drive off the racing line. On Lap 5, at the exit of the final hairpin before the final chicane, I inherit 14th as the 650S ahead gets a bad exit, and I'm on the tail of 13th and I try to make a move into T1, but I go extremely wide as I bundle the braking. However, I do go up into 13th as someone has an incident and spins at T1. I get the move done properly on Lap 7, and I begin chasing down the two cars ahead.

I try to make a move on the Aston ahead into T1, but they have the inside covered. They slide a bit and make microscopic contact with me, handing me an SR down notice, but thankfully, no penalty. Coming into T1 on Lap 9, the Aston, the AMG GT ahead, and I make it three-wide, with the Aston coming out on top as the AMG GT blocked the apex so I couldn't get the cutback. I do slip up the inside of the AMG GT at the 2nd hairpin after the COD, after making a split-second decision to do so because I couldn't tell which side the AMG GT was trying to cover off, putting me up into 10th.

I pit for my second set of mediums at the end of Lap 11 and come out in 11th. Until Lap 14, I'm following a 911 who's keeping about the same pace as me, until we come across a Beetle, whom I pass as they enter the pits, putting me back into 10th. From there, I maintain the gap with the 911, and they bundle it into the COD on Lap 16, allowing me to take 9th. From there, I maintain the gap to the 911 and take 8th as I pass someone pitting on Lap 19. I cross the line 8th for 148 points.

Maybe I should've gone again to get a better result as I think I definitely had pace - the Aston and I at this course seem to be a good pairing - but a combination of the mess/SR downs from this race and being tired from the Manufacturer's race right after, I decided to let this result be the final result.

Manufacturers, Slot 1

Honestly, not much to really talk about here. Races in the Cayman with Racing Hard tires and no pitting haven't been working out for me, so I didn't have pace here at all. For some reason I just have a hard time driving the Cayman when full of fuel. But, a lot of familiar faces were in the race though- @GTWolverine @Winnie847 (edited now that I remember your GTPlanet name lol) along with some familiar faces who aren't on this forum. So it also meant I probably didn't stand a chance either.

I get some pretty bad qualifying laps and start towards the middle-back (I don't entirely recall, I didn't save the replay or record the race). I don't have much pace and I make some mistakes, gaining some places from people making mistakes or quitting, while also being overtaken by the people behind me. I eventually limp home 15th for 117 points. One-and-done for sure. So, I'm not sure how I feel about the Nurburgring race since it's also a one-tire option that seems like a no-stop race. I seem to shine when strategy comes into play.

Last edited:
Nations, Slot 1

I wasn't sure how to feel going into this race, so I went in without many expectations. There was a friendly face in the lobby, and no trouble-makers, so I was hoping the race would be good. From the testing I did, the Aston felt the best to me and I set my quickest time in it, so it was my go-to, and turns out, a lot of people in this lobby chose it as well.

Sorry about that, not sure what was wrong with my connection. Got 5 bars the next slot (I'm on ethernet as well). Only reason I think is that the PS4 connected to wifi for some reason. My bad.

When I first practiced for this race, I tried both the Focus and the RCZ and at first the Focus was several tenths quicker for exactly the reasons you described. I then did a practice race with @watto79 and in the practice before the actual race, the Focus felt way more understeery due to the physics change that comes with tire wear being turned on, so I opted to try the RCZ again, and it felt way better. In race physics, with tire wear (and especially with fuel weight), the RCZ feels almost neutral. You might find it more manageable in those conditions.

I went back to free practice afterwards and tried to get the RCZ to cooperate and I was finally able to go faster than the Focus, by less than 0.2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back