FINAL FANTASY XV

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 218 comments
Now that we've both finished it, what do you think about Chapter 13?

I believe thats the chapter with all the levels that went on way, way too long? It was scary and fun for about 10 minutes, and then it wore out its welcome after dragging on for so long.

I really, really liked the story from Chapter 9 to the end, which seems to be the opposite experience of many people. What say you? I wish the entire game had that much story throughout.

It just felt like nothing really happened from Chapter 2 to Chapter 9. The only thing the team really did in those chapters was gather summons and weapons. Hardly any story progression at all.

I believe thats the chapter with all the levels that went on way, way too long? It was scary and fun for about 10 minutes, and then it wore out its welcome after dragging on for so long.

I really, really liked the story from Chapter 9 to the end, which seems to be the opposite experience of many people. What say you? I wish the entire game had that much story throughout.

It just felt like nothing really happened from Chapter 2 to Chapter 9. The only thing the team really did in those chapters was gather summons and weapons. Hardly any story progression at all.

Yeah, it's when you trudge through that human-devoid Keep by yourself. It's a pretty notorious chapter around in the playerbase. Mostly because of what you said, drags on for too long.

I didn't mind how the story went past Chapter 9. But it definitely felt rushed and thus got a little out of hand. Chapter 1-8 was paced decently. And that ending... it was quite emotional, in spite of the issues (the campfire scene left me a little teary-eyed lol).

Well stuff did happen in chapter 2 through 9. Like the turning point when they fought the Titan, thus Noctis gains his first summon. But the bulk of the story did happen afterwards.

Yeah, it's when you trudge through that human-devoid Keep by yourself. It's a pretty notorious chapter around in the playerbase. Mostly because of what you said, drags on for too long.

I didn't mind how the story went past Chapter 9. But it definitely felt rushed and thus got a little out of hand. Chapter 1-8 was paced decently. And that ending... it was quite emotional, in spite of the issues (the campfire scene left me a little teary-eyed lol).

Well stuff did happen in chapter 2 through 9. Like the turning point when they fought the Titan, thus Noctis gains his first summon. But the bulk of the story did happen afterwards.

Luna and Noctis together on the throne at the end nearly got me. I dont think I've played a game or even watched a movie that had an ending this tragic. I mean pretty much everyone dies. What they did to Ignis was just wrong. They didnt even give a good reason as to why or how that happened to him. I would have even accepted Noctis striking him because Ardyn tricked him and that being the reason for the vision loss. But as it stands it just happens for no reason or explanation which is so frustrating.

Luna and Noctis together on the throne at the end nearly got me. I dont think I've played a game or even watched a movie that had an ending this tragic. I mean pretty much everyone dies. What they did to Ignis was just wrong. They didnt even give a good reason as to why or how that happened to him. I would have even accepted Noctis striking him because Ardyn tricked him and that being the reason for the vision loss. But as it stands it just happens for no reason or explanation which is so frustrating.

Now I see what Nomura means about FFXV having a dark story...

I'm 40 hours in and still really enjoying my time with it.
I went in expecting so little that I had rented it from a vending machine. But a few days later it was clear that I ought to just buy it.

I'm finding it quite tedious, admittedly due to a bereavement I don't have a lot of patience right now, but I think it's going onto the shelf to gather dust.

I'm finding it quite tedious, admittedly due to a bereavement I don't have a lot of patience right now, but I think it's going onto the shelf to gather dust.
It gets better once the world open up in Chapter 3.

Also, you don't need to use the left stick to direct Noctis in battle. Just lock onto an enemy and hold attack; if you try to control Noctis directly, you will just run around in circles. It takes a bit of finesse, but you can use the left stick to chain attacks together more fluidly.

If you're feeling overwhelmed - and you probably will when you encounter magitek engines - get Prompto's Starshell tech ability as soon as possible. It only costs one tech bar, and it has an area of effect that distracts enemies and lowers their damage resistance. Ignis' Mark is also useful for group encounters. You can set tech abilities through the gear menu, and the more you use them, the more powerful they become.

Speaking of the party, you should also get as many of their abilities - like Deathblow and Firsy Aid - as soon as possible. It makes them much more efficient and effective in battle.

Just beat XV this morning. Overall I rather enjoyed it. Not yet sure where I'd rank it, but probably not too far behind my favorite, which is XII.

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the story and chapter 13... and while they certainly did have some issues, they were nowhere near as bad as people have been making them out to be.

Chapter 13's only issue was that it slightly overstayed its welcome, but excessively long endgame dungeons are pretty standard fare in JRPGs.

As far as story goes, it got me to feel emotion for the main characters... and that's really about where my expectations for Final Fantasy stories end. Final Fantasy games are often in the same ballpark as the Star Wars prequel trilogy in terms of storytelling caliber, just with more likable characters. So in that regard, XV met (and in some ways exceeded) my expectations.

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the story and chapter 13... and while they certainly did have some issues, they were nowhere near as bad as people have been making them out to be.

Chapter 13's only issue was that it slightly overstayed its welcome, but excessively long endgame dungeons are pretty standard fare in JRPGs

I am now tackling the end-game content and Chapter 13 is nowhere near as difficult. But the level itself waned for too long, as you said. Also I am not sure what they were trying to do with the sneaking aspect... it did work out for me when I reached the garage but never clicked through the corridors, so I just spammed warp-dodge with the Ring.

Just beat XV this morning. Overall I rather enjoyed it. Not yet sure where I'd rank it, but probably not too far behind my favorite, which is XII.

Chapter 13's only issue was that it slightly overstayed its welcome, but excessively long endgame dungeons are pretty standard fare in JRPGs.

As far as story goes, it got me to feel emotion for the main characters... and that's really about where my expectations for Final Fantasy stories end. Final Fantasy games are often in the same ballpark as the Star Wars prequel trilogy in terms of storytelling caliber, just with more likable characters. So in that regard, XV met (and in some ways exceeded) my expectations.

A man after my own heart. XII is my favourite as well. Can't wait for the remaster.

I've never played this series in my life, but with the driving and photography aspect of the Camera Kit, I've jumped in with both feet on the Xbox Sale.

I'm not sure what to expect from my first JRPG, but this one does appear slightly more 'western' in its mise en scene and the aforementioned driving.

Nice.

Just FYI though, don't expect this to play like a typical western open world style of game. It does have an expansive world to explore, but this isn't like an Elder Scrolls where you just go off and wander around, getting lost in endless deep sidequests to the point where you forget that there's even a main storyline to follow. The focus here is very much on the main storyline, and side activities (including non-main quests) are mostly just filler that allows you to get money, experience, gear, etc. and/or delay the game's inevitable end if you want to soak in the scenery a bit longer.

That being said, I do think XV is better when you take your time and don't just blaze through the main quests as fast as possible.

Last edited:
FFXV has a lot of sidequests. The grand majority of them are filler and fetch quests, but they're kinda need to be done because they can net you Gil, experience, accessories, etc. There are also Hunts which grant a pretty poor amount of Gil but the enemies you encounter in the Hunts are hardened versions of ones you normally find. Some you don't even find out on the wild.
You can also go dungeon-diving, where some of them house Armiger weapons. Best to collect them all as having them can boost your power (and having them equipped raises your stats). Some Armiger weapons are locked out and require main story progression.

I agree that FFXV is the sort of game to take your time on. The main story doesn't actually pick up until late. Fortunately the game will warn you when something big is going to happen.

The bulk of the time I've spent is on the end-game (when you finish the main quest the game will drop you on the open-world to explore), where you got menace dungeons, legendary Hunts/bosses, and legendary sidequests (and a lot of grinding). You do not have to go into the end-game as there's little to no story going on
NG+ is available as well that was added in the latest patch, but it doesn't offer an extra challenge. Might be worth it once they release the Story patches

Okay, so I just got to Altissia, and have started the quest "The Summit". Without spoiling anything (just yes or no), can somebody please tell me if there is a point of no return - a point where, once I pass it, I cannot return to Altissia?

Well the game will actually warn you that there's no point of no return. But yes, that quest is one of them, and a very big one at that. I would prepare a bit before you proceed.

I would prepare a bit before you proceed.
I've done all of the hunting quests (I think - the last one I did was against a level 50 flan that only had 8,000 health), some fishing (but I couldn't catch something in the canals, even with my best gear) and played totomastro for a while (still chasing after the colour samples and magitek generator, but the latter is 3.6 million medallions ...). There's not much more for me to do.

Well the game will actually warn you that there's no point of no return. But yes, that quest is one of them, and a very big one at that.
So once I do it and follow through with the story, I can never return to Altissia? Just want to make sure.

Don't worry about that Magitek Generator. You get something far better when you finish the story (well, after you do an associated quest).
You're gonna need that fishing rod (which is the best one in the game) you win at the Totomostro before you have a better chance at the fishing in Altissia. Luckily you don't need that many medals for it.

You can return to Altissia. But you probably won't be able to for a long while after you do The Summit quest.

You're gonna need that fishing rod (which is the best one in the game) you win at the Totomostro before you have a better chance at the fishing in Altissia. Luckily you don't need that many medals for it.
I already have it. I managed to land a tide grouper with it, but still lose the silvery fish in the canals. I need a better reel and stronger line for that. And I need to find a lure for the vesper gar to complete one of Nayvith's side-quests.

Don't worry about that Magitek Generator. You get something far better when you finish the story (well, after you do an associated quest).
Given how expensive it is, I thought that there might be an achievement for fully upgrading the Regalia. I suppose that I could get 3.6 million gil and just buy it ...

You can return to Altissia. But you probably won't be able to for a long while after you do The Summit quest.
That's okay - just so long as I can return. Although I probably won't be doing it often, as I find navigating by canal to be frustratingly slow.

AFAIK Nayvith already gave you bait to lure the Vesper Gar. There's also another one at his feet. If there's none you can buy a few from a secret Fishing shop north of the Vesperpool. You need your chocobo for this.

There's no achievement for fully upgrading the Regalia.

There's a few things in Altissia that are worth coming there for. Though they're mostly for end-game.

But you probably won't be able to for a long while after you do The Summit quest.
You're right about that. Going to Altissia in the first place is the point of no return. It wouldn't be so bad if you were free to explore Altissia and the Niflheim continent, but it's just so linear, and I felt that the action focus got a little out of hand.

The problem is that the back half of the game feels quite rushed. Things aren't explained particularly well at times, like why Ravus committed to the empire, what the price of the covenant is for Luna, why Prompto is a magitek trooper, or how the Astrals can continue to exist after being killed. Other parts are forgotten entirely; it's obvious Ardyn is manipulating the empire, but the emperor himself disappears completely until a throwaway line late in Chapter 13 explaining that he is now a daemon.

If the first half of the game has the nights growing longer, the second half should have opened up the imperial continent and explored the idea that people were being overwhelmed by the forces that turned them into daemons. It would have made the pacing of the story much more even and consistent.
Also, has anybody else noticed the barricaded road north of Lestallum? It looks like it leads into a tunnel, and if you check the map, there's a darkened section to the north that looks much more detailed than other darkened sections of the map. Similarly, there is what appears to be a short section of road north-west of Ravatogh on the map, but it's inaccessible on foot.

I'm over a hundred hours into the game, and I am still discovering new content - Noctis and Prompto just had a conversation about money growing on trees like in King's Knight and Gladio fell asleep with what looks like a copy of Sports Illustrated.

Argh, I'm trying to do "A Menace Sleeps in Steyliff" and it's going on forever. I swear I've gone past four or five campsites, and I still haven't found the monster. To make matters worse, I keep running into packs of level 84 Tonberrys and even with high-end weapons and a stockpile of very potent blizzaga spells, they're causing me lots of trouble because I'm not quick enough to block and parry. I ran into a group of four and chewed through seventy elixirs before beating them, then ran into two rooms of killer wasps, and then two more Tonberrys before I ran into four and gave up.

I bought the season pass earlier today, and while trying to find a release schedule, I saw rumours that Episode Prompto may open up the Niflheim continent for exploration. I expect Episode Gladio will reveal what Gladio got up to during "Party of Three", but I have no idea what Episode Ignis might do, except maybe add some exploration after "World of Ruin".

Yeah, Steyliff Grove is the longest dungeon in the game. Think it has 99 floors.
I was expecting it to be Costlemark Tower myself.

Back