First in game look at "standard" cars in Granturismo 6

I'm dying to see the standards up close.

I'm also hoping they updated them all, because they all looked bad IMO. I'm OK with having standards, I understand they can't model every interior, but they should have some extra polygons and better textures than in GT4.

ooh. its not the polygons that are the main eyesore of the standards, its actually the textures. one of the forumers noted that the wheel arches and some other stuff like tail lights have a flat texture going over them, and PD used whats called an "alpha channel" to make the areas transparent. so a lot of the jaggy wheel arches are because of the low res/pixelated textures, if PD went through and blurred up the jaggies then i think it would make it pretty hard to differentiate between S and P.

same goes for the window lines.

Perhaps we only got 100+ new cars because they were busy sprucing up the 1000 others...

But I did hear a translation that it was "updated textures" some months back... So who knows if they also added accents like antennas and wipers...

I was hoping for that...but as time passes and release gets closer, I have an pressing feeling it isn't going to happen...even with no proof of anything yet. Time will tell
Yeah, they don't have a track record for "pleasantly surprised"...

But they do have one for strange things that sorta work, or are addictive in an impossible way to explain...

To choose to drive. He didn't say there were no standard cars against him.
This is true, you can see from the screen shot with the viper and other cars that it's from a replay I presume, so Jordan must've been racing some standard cars......I presume lol :yuck:

Just to be clear, @Jordan,has already made it clear that he doesn't have any more information about standards himself, you'll have to get out the binoculars and microscopes and watch the videos:cool:
:rolleyes:

I didn't play in Career mode, and only had access to the cars available in the "Rental Cars" menu (yes, that's actually what it was called). All of the available cars were 'Premium' with full interiors, but of course, who can really say? There is no longer an official distinction between Premiums and Standards. All of the cars I saw looked great, so there's nothing else relevant that I can comment on.

I also don't think you guys understand what these media events are like. I got to play the game for approximately 45 total minutes or so, split between presentations, frantically keeping the news blog updated on a cell phone wifi hotspot in the middle of the Mojave desert, getting as much info as I can in impromptu interviews with SCEA folks, and doing the actual track driving. It's not like sitting in your home exploring the game all day. I did get some gameplay footage (from which those screenshots you saw in the post were taken) which I will post later.

How strange; they released all those new car screenshots and not a single standard in sight, hmm.... ;)
Not only that but simply the same cars we have seen over and over again. When I saw that news posting I was excited thinking either new info was released(1297 cars they say) or at min new screenshots.

From the new screenshots of the cars, the Lotus looks standard to me. The chrome bumper is just a rendered texture in the car model itselfs instead of a modelled bumper into the car model. The headlights too, are to undetailed for a premium, isn't it ? Or is it a In-betweeny subpremium car ?

Lotus_Europa_S2_68_01-640x360.jpg

From the new screenshots of the cars, the Lotus looks standard to me. The chrome bumper is just a rendered texture in the car model itselfs instead of a modelled bumper into the car model. The headlights too, are to undetailed for a premium, isn't it ? Or is it a In-betweeny subpremium car ?

Idk now that you point it out...looks premium except the fine details as stated. I would have to take the time and look at other 'for sure' premiums. Not too familiar with this lotuss interior but behind the seats look pretty bare. Edit....windshield wiper looks molded into the windshield too. I'm happy with it...beautiful model nonetheless

Idk now that you point it out...looks premium except the fine details as stated. I would have to take the time and look at other 'for sure' premiums. Not too familiar with this lotuss interior but behind the seats look pretty bare. Edit....windshield wiper looks molded into the windshield too. I'm happy with it...beautiful model nonetheless
It's a mid-engine car. There is no "behind the seats".

It's a premium car. One thing is for sure, that it's a NEW model. It shares nothing with the model that was used in GT4/5. Why would they model the entire car again to almost-but-not-quite-premium quality? And there is nothing wrong with the headlights or the bumper. Look at the hd screens from the front page.

Some of you need to stop grasping at straws and face the facts that standard cars will look like they did in GT5.

It's a mid-engine car. There is no "behind the seats".
I realize that...but it is just a painted piece of sheet metal lol. If that's how it was cool, but other MRs I've seen in game/ been in had something back there, like upholstery lol
Edit: for the record I do believe this is a premium

Last edited:

That is clearly a premium car. Standard cars will be the same model of GT5 but better upscaled with a new algorythm

It wasn't complaining from me, I just wondered what the Lotus was, because in my opinion the Lotus looks not that great as a preium car like the SLS does, or a Ferrari 512.

I'm a big fan of the standard cars in fact, I race with bumpercam (most of time) and even the black carbon dash's in standard cars are good enough for me. For some LMP cars it's even better than full detail interiors.

ooh. its not the polygons that are the main eyesore of the standards, its actually the textures. one of the forumers noted that the wheel arches and some other stuff like tail lights have a flat texture going over them, and PD used whats called an "alpha channel" to make the areas transparent. so a lot of the jaggy wheel arches are because of the low res/pixelated textures, if PD went through and blurred up the jaggies then i think it would make it pretty hard to differentiate between S and P.

same goes for the window lines.
Yep agreed here.

And I imagine that's what PD have done - when asked about the standards in GT6 in the past they said the bad ones have been cleaned up, so rather than muck about with the actual model, they have probably replaced/refined textures.

That is clearly a premium car. Standard cars will be the same model of GT5 but better upscaled with a new algorythm
Absolutely - this lotus was not one of the better standards. It looked far, far worse than this...

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't want to be rude but.. are you blind?! O.o
Check the hi-res photo:
http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Lotus_Europa_S2_68_01.jpg
You can also check how does it look in real life.

Some poeple right here don't stop to surprise/shock me.. First they say that the 2000GT in the trailer is a standard car.. and now this. Wow, just WOW!
Besides stop dreaming and fooling yourselves. Standard cars will still look the same (bad) as they were in GT5.

I realize that...but it is just a painted piece of sheet metal lol. If that's how it was cool, but other MRs I've seen in game/ been in had something back there, like upholstery lol
Edit: for the record I do believe this is a premium
Check the hi-res photo, it's tan upholstery.

Latest Posts

Back