First in game look at "standard" cars in Granturismo 6

Yep agreed here.

And I imagine that's what PD have done - when asked about the standards in GT6 in the past they said the bad ones have been cleaned up, so rather than muck about with the actual model, they have probably replaced/refined textures.

honestly thats all they need. its not like im going to stare deeply at the door handles or the headlights when im racing againts standards, or watching replays...

From the new screenshots of the cars, the Lotus looks standard to me. The chrome bumper is just a rendered texture in the car model itselfs instead of a modelled bumper into the car model. The headlights too, are to undetailed for a premium, isn't it ? Or is it a In-betweeny subpremium car ?

Lotus_Europa_S2_68_01-640x360.jpg

Then what about this one?

I don't want to be rude but.. are you blind?! O.o
Check the hi-res photo:
http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Lotus_Europa_S2_68_01.jpg
You can also check how does it look in real life.

Some poeple right here don't stop to surprise/shock me.. First they say that the 2000GT in the trailer is a standard car.. and now this. Wow, just WOW!
Besides stop dreaming and fooling yourselves. Standard cars will still look the same (bad) as they were in GT5.

No need to be rude ;)

As I'm saying, the Lotus doesn't look bad at all and I'm not unhappy with it or complaining it looks bad to me, it was just a comment on this car that it looks less premium than other premium cars and there I thought this could be a standard car or maybe a sub-premium car. Notting wrong about that. At first the bumper. It looks like a part of the body shell instead of being a bumper mounted to the bodyshell. I know that the original Europa have this bumper too, very smooth into the body, but it looks to plain for me. May I ? It's just an opinion. ? ;)

I don't say I'm not happy with it, I more say that I thought it could be a standard car and that was more like a compliment to PD then complaining about this car. It's way way better then we had in GT5 and if they didn't make it a premium car, I still love to drive (and drift) with it. I'm a big fan of the standards and never complained about them.

Edit: Yes I mentioned the interior and that was why I was confused and sceptical about the front bumper and headlights (texture) and thinking it maybe could be a upscaled standard car. More a possitive note then from my point of view then people thinking I'm a complainer... No I am not.

Unless the cars formerly known as Prince standards looks good enough for a trailer like that.

But why choose a standard at all when they can show off the new premiums? Perhaps they are demonstrating how good the standards are now? We don't know, but I cannot believe they will have spent lots of time "tarting up" all the standards.

The most likely answer is usually the correct one - it's a premium! Time will tell!!!!

I'm sure the standards will still have the cockpit view that was added I believe in Spec 2.0 update for Gran Turismo 5, I don't know why they'd remove that feature since they know plenty of people (myself included) like to use the cockpit view.

@Abraxas - That would be perfectly acceptable if that was what they did to update the standards imo.

I'm sure the standards will still have the cockpit view that was added I believe in Spec 2.0 update for Gran Turismo 5, I don't know why they'd remove that feature since they know plenty of people (myself included) like to use the cockpit view.

@Abraxas - That would be perfectly acceptable if that was what they did to update the standards imo.

what view are u talkin about?

Some of you need to stop grasping at straws and face the facts that standard cars will look like they did in GT5.
Hey now, we don't know this for a fact at all. There are a lot of details about GT6 we know nothing about, and I prefer that it be this way. I don't want to know everything about it before I get it... I want to experience it.

Yeah, they don't have a track record for "pleasantly surprised"...

But they do have one for strange things that sorta work, or are addictive in an impossible way to explain...
I have to quibble with this. The whole of GT1 was a pleasant surprise, even though SONY had Kaz reduce the gravity slightly for us in the west to make it more "exciting." Used cars and the Event Maker in GT2. Photo Mode and roof cam in GT4. Course Maker in GT5, even the fireworks are neat. You could assert that these are all examples of those strange things that sorta work, but it's also one of those individual reaction things too. Many of us are delighted with these goodies. I was overjoyed to find that most of the Standard cars were just awesome. A few of them even have more aero options than their Premium counterparts, strangely enough, and only someone like me would discover this.

We don't know much at all about how online is going to work, but mysteriously, the doomsayers don't seem to be too vocal about it. I'm not sure why some things are given the benefit of the doubt around here, and some unknowns are signs of the apocalypse.

It's only a few weeks before we start digging into this box of candies to see what Kaz gave us. Unlike Obamacare, I expect this to be full of good surprises. :)

That was a standard in GT5:

Week3_car4_lrg.jpg

Honda ARTA NSX '00

Looks amazing...
Very much the '06, here's the '00 for you:
honda_arta_nsx__jgtc___00_by_gt5_garage-d5tbt8s.png

@AlvaroF, are you calling GT5 premiums average quality? Think you might need to clean your screen mate:P

Hey now, we don't know this for a fact at all. There are a lot of details about GT6 we know nothing about, and I prefer that it be this way. I don't want to know everything about it before I get it... I want to experience it.

I have to quibble with this. The whole of GT1 was a pleasant surprise, even though SONY had Kaz reduce the gravity slightly for us in the west to make it more "exciting." Used cars and the Event Maker in GT2. Photo Mode and roof cam in GT4. Course Maker in GT5, even the fireworks are neat. You could assert that these are all examples of those strange things that sorta work, but it's also one of those individual reaction things too. Many of us are delighted with these goodies. I was overjoyed to find that most of the Standard cars were just awesome. A few of them even have more aero options than their Premium counterparts, strangely enough, and only someone like me would discover this.

We don't know much at all about how online is going to work, but mysteriously, the doomsayers don't seem to be too vocal about it. I'm not sure why some things are given the benefit of the doubt around here, and some unknowns are signs of the apocalypse.

It's only a few weeks before we start digging into this box of candies to see what Kaz gave us. Unlike Obamacare, I expect this to be full of good surprises. :)
To put this more in context, GT games hype has always exceeded the result. This is where surprises get muted, but that's not to say there aren't great things... But more times than not people are like "interesting, they did that in a strange way" vs other products that go for the "finally! The feature we have all been looking forward to has finally arrived and it's what we expected".

There have been many "moon rover" type things that make us go "wtf?! Don't get me wrong but..." In the GT series.

And first iteration product don't count as they don't have context... Especially GT 1, that was revolutionary for the time. Just like GTA, FF7, resident evil, etc. the newest unique IP games that are innovative struggle like crazy to replicate that "wow" factor again and frankly few are able to do it again... It's something the industry struggles with especially with any sequels.

Obamacare?! Omg the debacle of the century!

No need to be rude ;)

As I'm saying, the Lotus doesn't look bad at all and I'm not unhappy with it or complaining it looks bad to me, it was just a comment on this car that it looks less premium than other premium cars and there I thought this could be a standard car or maybe a sub-premium car. Notting wrong about that. At first the bumper. It looks like a part of the body shell instead of being a bumper mounted to the bodyshell. I know that the original Europa have this bumper too, very smooth into the body, but it looks to plain for me. May I ? It's just an opinion. ? ;)

To be honest, when I first saw this model, I thought it looked kind of strange as well.
There're many little things, like the front bumper, the way the doors stand out from the body and strangely bend side windows that look a bit "off".

But once I saw pictures of the original, I came to the conclusion that the Europa is a car with many odd shapes and is in itself not terribly well made. I think the modeler just struggled a bit to exactly capture the car. After all game modeling is not a hard science and involves more eye measurement as you may think.

Last edited:
To put this more in context, GT games hype has always exceeded the result. This is where surprises get muted, but that's not to say there aren't great things... But more times than not people are like "interesting, they did that in a strange way" vs other products that go for the "finally! The feature we have all been looking forward to has finally arrived and it's what we expected".
I suppose this is true for a good number of gamers. Two examples come to mind in GT4: the Mercedez steam powered carriage, and Photo Mode. The car was simply a curiosity which a tiny fraction of gamers took on the road. An elite few even ran it successfully around the Nurburgring, which I understand is impossible due to the substantial elevation changes unless you manage the throttle carefully. And not many were initially excited about Photo Mode. I would likely have ignored it for a long time, but a relative gave it a run just after getting GT4 himself, and I was sorely impressed with it.

GT6 is likely going to be the same way, as we're getting the core game at launch, with a few extra goodies in the launch patch. And then features will come along periodically, both like updates and apps, building on the foundation to expand it. I suspect the GPS app to make it to America after a lot of hoopla for it.

I don't expect GT6 to be anything like a sleeper hit, but there's a good chance it will continue to attract attention over time as features are added, some as teasers of what to expect in GT7 on that monster Playstation.

Back