FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

…You might very well end up spinning. :lol: I gave it a go on Matterhorn and was surprised how much it moved and juddered about in that "hyper puppy" way. Hopefully it'll work well with you.

@shaunm80 I just got done building your tune for the improved touring and noticed the weight @ 980kg. Is this correct, you are 55kg over the minimum?! I've been testing for over 5 hours so far today (a little tired) and I just wanted to be sure...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ew-seasonal-setups.300860/page-5#post-9396712
Yes. Thats right, I tuned it at 980kgs rather than the minimum weight. I assume that as long as you not below the minimum its all good?

Oh no, you're ok, it's your right to tune it that way. 55kg though...it would be like throwing a skinny co-pilot out the passenger window! I'll drive it like you have it.đź‘Ť

Oh no, you're ok, it's your right to tune it that way. 55kg though...it would be like throwing a skinny co-pilot out the passenger window! I'll drive it like you have it.đź‘Ť
That would be one skinny, child or a wife type out the window. :lol: (for us imperial measurement types that's a 121.124 lbs person).
But hey some cars like the weight, I know with my roadster my best times came with a car that was heavy than the posted tune, but it was harder to control it so i didn't go with it.

Wow, very cool. Wish I had the time for this. If anyone wants to drive one of my tunes, see the sig.

Sign up to test one of the smaller groups of cars you can still have some fun and we get another driver :) win win ya?

Motorcity Hami, are you going to be racing at Waterford this year?
I hope so, but just remember; "Dodge Neons in your mirror, are closer than they appear."

;-)
3_wheels_at_whrri.jpg

I just took a quick peek. Transmission settings...might need a few lines to say how we got to those numbers. Top gear up to 4.0, then adjust top speed down, yadda yadda yadda. Hope that your back does get to feeling better.đź‘Ť
Took a look see myself, I like it. Couple of suggestions would be to add a weight distribution line at the top below the weight. Add a Torque line (added reference make sure we have all the parts right), I'm not sure how to make the HP and torque have an option to display in metric and imperial with out adding bunch of lines, and reorder the Drive train to have the AYC on the bottom as its only one model car.

@demonchilde good to hear your alive and kicking and so is everyone else. RL>Game is my motto we will still be here when things calm down.
I can maybe add in a comment box either with the trans settings or at the bottom for write ins like that. I did think about it but wasn't sure.

Currently everything is ordered as it is in the settings menu with things on the right side after the left side, which is why AYC shows up at the top. It does make a bit more sense to move it down given its limited use.

I will definitely expand the specs up top with drivetrain and additional numbers. If there's a neat way to do the conversions with the various measurements I'll add that. If not just I'll stick with US numbers, because I wanna.

EDIT: typing on my phone during a break in my workshop...not so good actually

Last edited:
Motorcity Hami, are you going to be racing at Waterford this year?
I hope so, but just remember; "Dodge Neons in your mirror, are closer than they appear."

;-)

So is that a reference to my Honda Civic days when we shared the track with Neons?

I doubt that we will make it to Waterford Hills. I am looking at MIS, Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Gingerman and Nelson Ledges. I have been running the SCCA Regional Champs Series for a few years now.

I've never even considered racing a Dodge Neon. We had them over here for a while and they were pretty bad, not awful just really dull to drive and cheaply made. Why would you choose it over other similar cars? I'm just curious, not trying to give them a bad name or anything, after all the Vauxhall Vectra was a pretty uninspiring mess but that didn't stop it doing well in the British Touring Cars.

Neon's are cheap, pretty easy to modify, and I think they have decently strong motors to be able to handle the power of racing.

Neon's are cheap, pretty easy to modify, and I think they have decently strong motors to be able to handle the power of racing.
Seems reasonable enough to me, but i'm not so sure about the engines. The ones I've seen have really weak motors (even by cheap family car standards), maybe they have a better range in the states

@DigitalBaka I've got an idea on how to do it, would need a background processing area, and 3 display cells for each stat that's different. At least I know it would work in excel not sure about google doc's i'm heading off now to see if it will work.

@DolHaus no they didn't really, weak under powered things but the engine box was so large you could pack just anything under a V8 into it. I saw one with a Cummins Turbo Diesel in it. O_o one of the smaller ones from the mid 90's but still. that's almost as bad as the pic i posted above.

@DigitalBaka I've got an idea on how to do it, would need a background processing area, and 3 display cells for each stat that's different. At least I know it would work in excel not sure about google doc's i'm heading off now to see if it will work.

@DolHaus no they didn't really, weak under powered things but the engine box was so large you could pack just anything under a V8 into it. I saw one with a Cummins Turbo Diesel in it. O_o one of the smaller ones from the mid 90's but still. that's almost as bad as the pic i posted above.
Ahh right, engine swaps... now it make sense

Thanks for the feedback @iainoflo85!

Thanks for the test iainoflo , happy to see my car work well. I was expecting this result because i am the only one to use a much lower rear ride height with a good amount ,140/90.
This is the only trick i´ve found to make this car turn well , conserving the full rear aero downforce.
This is a bit strange for a race car setting but it seems to work well. It´s also ok for lazy FF or 4WD cars.
><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°

Hi Praiano do you mind if I just ask you a couple of things about your tune? I'm looking at what it is that the fastest tune did that I didn't in an effort to improve my tuning.

My question is: if you were having trouble getting the car to rotate how come you used full rear aero? This relates to something I noticed on my Street Touring tune: I was getting no oversteer whatsoever on the tune, but adding a rear wing with max downforce made it faster - how can this happen?

PS - Words cannot express how jealous I am of you guys who can go racing IRL :yuck:

Last edited:
So is that a reference to my Honda Civic days when we shared the track with Neons?

I doubt that we will make it to Waterford Hills. I am looking at MIS, Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Gingerman and Nelson Ledges. I have been running the SCCA Regional Champs Series for a few years now.

That's my neon at Waterford hills.

We run a split grid with spec miata, was hoping you might make it out.

We had a race in the rain last year, caught and passed every miata, corner workers loved it.

Those who hate the neons need to understand, spec neon is the cheapest way to actually race competitively without going broke. 2 seconds slower per lap at Waterford than spec miata, but 1/5 the cost. B-)

That's my neon at Waterford hills.

We run a split grid with spec miata, was hoping you might make it out.

We had a race in the rain last year, caught and passed every miata, corner workers loved it.

Those who hate the neons need to understand, spec neon is the cheapest way to actually race competitively without going broke. 2 seconds slower per lap at Waterford than spec miata, but 1/5 the cost. B-)

I'm jealous of you guys who get to race real cars.......I don't "hate" Neons, but obviously I'm a Chevy guy:D

@DolHaus : FYI, +1 inch wheels are required for SCCA ITClass. They're not listed in your tune that I can find.

Ahhh, after 4 days without getting a fix I'm back to testing. I've missed playing/piloting, but its been nice having my wife on vacation this week.

@Ronald6 wife> GT6 any day if the week ya? Hehe don't have too much fun.

@DigitalBaka I've got the conversations rates plugged in note to make them work in formula and not get flustered with use. I'm rusty with excel and no experience with Google so taking me a bit too figure everything out, and my wife has her chest cold come back full force I'm taking care of her now too. This is a nasty bug.

@DolHaus : FYI, +1 inch wheels are required for SCCA ITClass. They're not listed in your tune that I can find.

Ahhh, after 4 days without getting a fix I'm back to testing. I've missed playing/piloting, but its been nice having my wife on vacation this week.
I will amend the OP, thanks for pointing that out

Results for SCCA Spec Miata class.

A good group of cars with not much to choose between any of them. Oversteer and understeer the word of the day it seems for me!!

All cars ran for 10 laps. All aids off except for driving line and ABS1. Tested using DS3 (pad not stick) with Auto Transmission.

DaBomm4 MX-5 (NA) '89
Time - 1:27:734
DC - 8
A nice tight tune. A little understeer present but manageable.

Chipmonk77 MX-5 Miata (NA) '89
Time - 1:28:024
DC - 6
A little oversteery for me. Too much drift cost a good lap time.

bread82 MX-5 J-Limited (NA, J) '91
Time - 1:28:241
DC - 6
Again a little too much oversteer to set a really good time. Felt a bit sluggish too.

killerjimbag MX-5 J-Limited (NA, J) '91
Time - 1:27:772
DC - 7
A little loose to set a really good time. Difficult to make it stick in the sweeping corners. Decent drive though.

backnfourth MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA, J) '95
Time - 1:27:508
DC - 10
Very stable tune, with a hint of understeer. Easy to get on the power early. Good under braking, Good through the last set of corners.

JackWilson MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA, J) '95
Time - 1:27:426
DC - 9
A little looser than backnfourth's, but once you figure out your throttle control, good car.

Bowtie-muscle MX-5 SR-Limited (NA, J) '97
Time - 1:27:453
DC - 9
Good solid tune with a touch of oversteer. Enjoyable drive.

HTR Tuning MX-5 SR-Limited (NA, J) '97
Time - 1:27:731
DC - 6
Quite easy to get sideways in this car. Plenty of oversteer present.

Harsk100 MX-5 SR-Limited (NA, J) '97
Time - 1:28:946
DC - 4
Not much to say about this car as it was basically stock. Good comparison between stock and tunes though!!

DozUK MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (NA, J) '97
Time - 1:27:785
DC - 7
Good solid tune. Maybe a little too much oversteer and doesn't leave much room for error. But more manageable than the other oversteerers.

Ridox2JZGTE MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (NA, J) '97
Time - 1:27:680
DC - 7
Easy to get on the power. Good under braking. Understeer ever present though. May give this a try with the camber at 0 to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the feedback @iainoflo85!

Hi Praiano do you mind if I just ask you a couple of things about your tune? I'm looking at what it is that the fastest tune did that I didn't in an effort to improve my tuning.

My question is: if you were having trouble getting the car to rotate how come you used full rear aero? This relates to something I noticed on my Street Touring tune: I was getting no oversteer whatsoever on the tune, but adding a rear wing with max downforce made it faster - how can this happen?

PS - Words cannot express how jealous I am of you guys who can go racing IRL :yuck:

Raise the front and low the rear. Then you will have a big gain of rotation without lowering the rear downforce. If you go too low with the rear ride height with my tune you´ll spin easy.
I´ll not make any kind of conclusion after this.... Some forbiden words like <BACKWARDS> are still in the mind of a lot of GTPlayers.... I still can smell the smoke of the short circuit that this word can produce in certain brains.
:lol::lol::crazy::boggled:

Back