FITT Old Vs. New Hatchback Challenge

Which pair of cars is the best looking of the bunch?

• Total voters
So, other than criticizing my friend's tunes (in person) this will be my first time telling other people what I think of their tunes. I'm known as a naysayer in my small circle of friends. I tend to talk about things I find wrong more than things I like. Keep that in mind and don't take it personally, please. 👍

Cory - where are your times and driver's choice scores for your cars? The points system only works if you post a time for all cars, even your own.

I have updated the scoring sheet. Just waiting for @Soren Jacquet to consolidate his test results into one final post, for @Otaliema to finish testing and @coryclifford to post the scores for his two cars. I don't think I am going to release the final results until all scores are in, since we have so many tuner/testers in this one. Some of the usual suspects at the top of the lap time podium, currently.

I have updated the scoring sheet. Just waiting for @Soren Jacquet to consolidate his test results into one final post, for @Otaliema to finish testing and @coryclifford to post the scores for his two cars. I don't think I am going to release the final results until all scores are in, since we have so many tuner/testers in this one. Some of the usual suspects at the top of the lap time podium, currently.
Barring any unforeseen circumstances I will get testing done and posted in a couple of hours 5 cars left.

B Wolf
450 GTI - 1:52.935 - Bad gears, front shock compression at 10 just bugs me. Feels heavy and loses front grip quickly. Slow feeling but not terrible.
DC: 6.5
385 GTI - 1:56.770 - Nice job here. Fast time too. Quite good but again front damper at 10 kills a lot of feeling. Despite front diff setting I was still pushing hard enough to peel inside tire. Had 3x 56.x laps and a lot of low 57.x laps. Good car.
DC: 9.3
No sugar coating it then? ;) Seriously though, thanks for putting in the time and effort to test. Glad you liked one of my tunes, and the one you didn`t was still the quickest new VW! Great times also. :cheers:👍

DolHaus
Honda Civic '83 2:00.095
DP 8.5
Feels like driving on gravel. JAM on brakes. Good turn in.

Honda Civic Type-R '04 1:55.095
DP 9.5
Great acceleration and rotation. will rotate under part throttle. Great turn in and grip. Much better brakes on this one.
All right, hands up - Who put jam on my brakes? :lol:

Thank you very much for testing and I'm glad you enjoyed the cars :cheers:
@DolHaus - Civic 1500 and Type R
1500 3 door Lap time: 1:57.872 DC: 8.5
Type R Lap time: 1:53.033 DC: 8
Impression of tunes;
Old : Nice, fun tune for a twisty circuit.
New : Lacked a little poise around the swimming pool section. Not quite as well balanced as the old tune. But still quick. Well done.

Thank you very much for testing, some really great times across the board. Can't have been easy on such a demanding track so very well done :cheers:

FITT Old Vs. New Hatchback Challenge at Côte d’ Azure
640px-monte_carlo_formula_1_track_map-png.386115
All cars tested at least 10 laps. Grip set Real, ABS 1 only, Arcade mode. Some of them got up to 30 laps to get the most out of them, the first four cars got another 10 laps mid way through to see if I could improve after getting more comfortable with the track. None did.

My cars got 10 laps period and I took the lap that didn’t have a time gain cut at Nouvelle. All other cars got the best lap I managed from them, no best lap has a cut at Nouvelle, some have tail taps. *Note in all cases tapping a wall cost the lap time, just sometimes the rest of the lap was so good it was the fastest.

@787bcgr - Golf I and V
Golf I Lap time:2:00.811 DC: 7
Golf V Lap time:1:55.921 DC:9
Combined; 3:56.732

Impression of tunes;
Golf Mk I; I found this car odd fun and frustrating all at the same time. It did what I asked it too most of the time. But soon as I hit it’s limit I found myself in a wall, nose first. It would rotate very well if I got the entry right, if I got it even a little bit wrong I found it very hard to make the corner. This is a high skill tune for this car. It’s good it’s fun, it’s just not driver friendly, it wants things it’s way or it’s the wall for you. The back of the car was too planted in the tight and slow sections of the track, it was great in the higher speed sweeper areas, it just lacked power to keep up.

Golf Mk V; Another high skill tune, that was a total blast to drive. It was planted in the turns and with left foot braking has excellent rotation I just couldn’t pin down everything in a single lap to really see a good lap time in this car. I can say it was the best of the Mk V’s it just needs a little better turn in that doesn’t require left foot braking to make happen.

@Bowtie-muscle -Civic 1500 3 door and Type R (EP)
1500 3 door Lap time:2:01.008 DC:7
Type R Lap time:1:54.100 DC:8.2
Combined;3:55.108

Impression of tunes;
1500 3 Door; All over the place, it didn’t want to break or turn in well, low exit grip. But it responded very well to left foot braking and the transmission was very well balanced.

Type R;Low exit grip and long braking. Once I adjusted for these factors it became a very quick car, the transmission was maybe a tad long but that kept the wheel spin down helping out acceleration a great deal. Entry-mid corner was great but the understeer at exit really slowed it down.

@brian wolf -Golf I 76 and V 05
Golf I Lap time:1:59.228 DC:9
Golf V Lap time:1:55.664 DC:8.5
Combined;3:54.892

Impression of tunes;
Golf Mk I; This car was spot on for rotation in all turns, no surprises most of the time, I did smack the wall a few times coming into a Nouvelle Chicane cause the car wasn’t settled after the tunnel. I did find the transmission was a shy short when I got everything right on the start/finish straight and the Nouvelle Chicane lead in, I would bounce the rev’s. The back end did it’s fair share of work on this car, but at times the front would just not grip.

Golf MK V; The power understeer is what killed this car in mainly in the sweepers. But also a Nouvelle I lost several good laps there and I would just watch as Hami’s Mk V ghost would sail past because it was on the throttle sooner. The 3 speed gearbox was great except in the low speed turns where it was hurt by lack of acceleration. In the mid section of the course it was the fastest hands down the lift off oversteer really came into it’s own but the rest of the track it would just lose time slowly.

@CSLACR - Honda Life Step
Van
and Odyssey
Life Step Van Lap time:1:59.513 DC:8.5
Odyssey Lap time:1:56.298 DC: 9.1
Combined;3:55.811

Impression of tunes;
Life step van; This was fun little van to take around. I did find it didn’t like T1 very much but it took the rest of the turns great. It liked to load the outside front a little more than it should have in the mid speed turns and caused understeer. Sir did you load lead in the roof cause I rolled this one more than once. :lol:

Odyssey; Solid fast and stable. Due to it’s weight it required longer braking zones then other cars thus slowing me a down. I did find this one quite fun to throw into turn as it loved being sideways. Well done on the stability and fun factors. One note would be it’s a bit too unstable under braking, I darted off into a wall more than once right after I jumped on the brakes for a turn.

@coryclifford - Civic 1500 & Type R
1500 3 door Lap time:2:01.520 DC:8.1
Type R Lap time:1:55.020 DC: 10
Combined;3:56.540

Impression of tunes;
1500 3 Door; This is a fun car, but it loved to understeer from mid-exit, I never quite figured out this car, I could get it around easily enough, I just couldn’t get any exit speed out of it. I found it didn’t like late braking, but it did love to let it’s tail wiggle. The car felt great I just couldn’t get any speed from it. Not sure why.

Type R; Ohh geeze this car was spot on, great rotation, great braking. Transmission would have helped the lower end with wheel spin and maybe gotten another couple tenths from the car. Otherwise it was perfect. It felt natural to drive it. I got best lap on lap 2! of my warm up laps for the day! I didn’t even need to run the car for it’s normal 10 laps, but I did for consistency of testing. An absolutely perfect lap would have been in the mid 54’s but I couldn’t hold it together for an entire lap, maybe another 20 and I would have gotten it there.

@DaBomm4 - Focus ST170 and ST 13
ST170 Lap time:2:01.191 DC:8.5
ST Lap time:1:55.535 DC:9.0
Combined;3:56.626

Impression of tunes;
ST170; Solid great rotation, excellent grip, it just wasn’t fast. if I tried pushing it hard it under steered like mad. Lacked power so it lost time on the uphill and flats.

ST ‘13; Crazy acceleration, fantastic rotation. even a bad lap was 1:57.xxx, the transmission and sweepers were the let downs here. Trans could have been a bit longer in 2nd and 3rd to reduce wheel spin, mid-exit grip was lacking in sweepers slowing me down a lot. Overall it was a great car and I would take it to a FF A-spec race any day.

@DolHaus - Honda Civic 1500 and Type R
1500 3 door Lap time:2:00.020 DC:9.1
Type R Lap time:1:56.062 DC:8.5
Combined;3:56.082

Impression of tunes;
1500 3 Door; Holy stability batman! and that was was it’s downfall. It was great fun, I knew I could hang it out to dry and it would come back for me. But at the same time I couldn’t get it to turn in well so ended slowing down more then I would have liked for the turns which cost it time in the first two sectors. Well done great tune, I will be saving this one for FF races down the road.

Type R; Well done great rotation, fantastic exit grip. Well balanced transmission. The toe in on the front reduced entry rotation and killed my speed through the mid section and thus the lap I would keep up with or pass Cory’s ghost through the first sector but it would just pull away in the mid section and I couldn’t quite reel it back in the last sector.

@feydrautha -Fiat 500F and 500 1.2 8V
500F Lap Time:2:08.048 DC: 4
500 1.2 Lap Time:1:56.777 DC:8.5
Combined;4:04.825

Impression of tunes;
500 F: I could not push this car, every time I tried I spun in the first turn I got to. The snap oversteer was insane on this car. Smoothness was the key, one misstep and you’re lap is done. Brakes were fantastic, gearbox was great quick smooth shifts. I tested the car with a spring rate of 5.00/2.00 and rear damper C of 1 rear camber 0.0 ARB Rear 2, dropped my lap to 2:05 on the first go around and there was lots of room to improve it. This would be a great little stunt car. Slap some CH on it and you can do flat spins in the middle of the track.

500 1.2; Fantastic car. great rotation, superb braking. Transmission was a bit, ok lot short. I was rev limiter bouncing with over 20 meters to go coming to the Nouvell Chicane on a normal lap the fastest lap it was more like 40 meters. It had a hint of exit understeer if I tried to jump the gun on the throttle otherwise great car. If the 500F had been this stable this could have been a serious pairings even with how slow it was it was so small it could go flat out most of the track making up time in the twisty bits.

@fordracer - Peugeot 206 and 207
206 S16 Lap Time:2:00.649 DC:8.8
207 GTi Lap Time:1:56.136 DC:7.8
Combined;3:56.785

Impression of tunes;
206; Great little car. fun stable. Brakes were a bit on the weak side, and entry rotation was hard to get right. If I did it was great just flowed through the turns like fish in water. If i got it wrong it was like a drunk man in a china shop.

207; Good balanced car. it’s didn’t do anything great but nothing bad either. The gearing seemed a tad long seldom if ever used 6th gear. The only thing I could say is a little more mid-exit grip would have helped this car shave a bit off each turn.

@krenkme Honda Life Step Van 72 and Odyssey 03
Life Step Van Lap time:1:57.579 DC: 10
Odyssey Lap time:1:59.353 DC:7.5
Combined;3:56.932

Impression of tunes;
Life step van; I found one “problem” with this van, it was a kart in disguise! This little kart err I mean van, hit apex’s all of them. It is a point and go. Extremely well done sir. Side note, it didn’t like to be pushed really hard the outside front would overload otherwise I could ride the orange and drive the entire track screaming like banshee.

Odyssey; Try as I might I couldn’t get this car around teh track well. It’s heavy nature made for long braking zones. I ran 20 laps with this van and couldn’t get a lap faster then the Life step, I’m sorry sir I tried I just couldn’t get it there. The entry understeer and exit oversteer, combined with the weight made this a tough beast to drive fast for me. The transmission was great, the balance in the turns seemed a little heavy in front under braking and heavy in the tail under acceleration. I did run another 5 laps after finishing the other two cars and didn’t improve the time.

@Lionheart2113 - Honda CR-X and CR-Z
CR-X Lap time:2:00.441 DC:7.5
CR-Z Lap time:1:59.131 DC:9
Combined;3:59.572

Impression of tunes;
CR-X; good rotation off throttle bit of understeer when on it. Stable and good slid braking. The weakest link in this one was the transmission was way too long. It had zero wheel spin but the acceleration was hurt so badly it just suffered through the entire lap. I did a quick test after I was done with a transmission set to 200 km/h (80 km/h less than published) and dropped the lap time to 1:59.4xx in 3 laps following the same path at the lap I ran previously. I even missed the first turn.

CR-Z;Spot on, great entry-exit rotation, as long as I didn’t floor it great grip through the entire turn. It just lacked power. I think going for full weight redux while great for handling hurt the time on the car. The ever annoying run 2 laps and reset didn’t help my rhythm for the track but it was easy enough car to drive I was laying down lap after lap in the 1:59’s if I put down another 10-20 laps I could prolly get a 1:57 from it with a perfect lap.

@Motor City Hami - Golf I 73 and V 05
Golf I Lap time:1:58.118 DC:10
Golf V Lap time:1:55.167 DC:8.5

Combined;3:53.285
Impression of tunes;
Golf Mk I;Spot on! The back of this car was doing as much work as the front. Great braking and stability through the entire turn. I found the transmission a tad short but only only a little bit, couple hundred more RPM to keep it in power would have been perfect. On the first test I did have 5th gear set too short by 0.012 -_- I retested with the correct gear and found it was a 1 km/h gain, slightly slower acceleration in the gear 0.002 seconds slower per replays, I couldn’t better the lap due to wall tapping. I did find that the handling was not changed at all.

Golf Mk V; Fast yes, but it didn’t have the exit grip of the Mk I giving me a feeling of uneasiness in the turns knowing that I could slide out into a wall if I slip up even a tiny bit. The tail did it’s fair share of coming around like it’s more experienced counterpart but it kept going and never really let it settle down.

@OdeFinn - CR-X and CR-Z
CR-X Lap time:2:00.068 DC:8
CR-Z Lap time:1:56.470 DC:7.5
Combined;3:56.538
Impression of tunes;
CR-X Fun, interesting, and stable. This car took me a while to get the hang of 17 laps. It’s a very throttle/brake driven car, once I got used to the feathering technique to get it rotating this car was a blast. It’s just not my style of driving so I was not as fast as it could be. I had a 1:59ish lap going and missed one braking point and it turned into a 2:05 lap and I didn’t hit a wall :banghead: Overall good car, just needs lots of laps to get used to it. If you push hard and try to drive it like a car that tuned for the game it will understeer it’s front wheels off, drive it more the way I understand FF cars are driven in real races and it’s quick. Left foot braking, throttle feathering, have to keep the front tires loaded in the entire turn.

CR-Z very similar to the CR-X in needed driving style so only took me a few laps to get the hang of it. I did find that the battery goes to pot after 3 ¾ laps recharges on 4th and works again on 5th lap, then does this recharge work thing till you pit. So thats annoying but the fault of anyone but PD. I did find the transmission was long never got to the 6th gear and short shifting 2nd caused major bog problems.

@Otaliema - Mini 1.3i and Cooper S
1.3i Lap time:1:57.351 DC:7.5
Cooper S Lap time:1:54.547 DC:7.5
Combined;3:51.898
Impression of tunes;
1.3i; More twitchy than I remember, very long braking zones. Compared to Shaunm’s Prim and Proper 1.3i this was the wild crazy Yankee rebel. If you didn’t do what it wanted it did it anyways. After driving all the other cars I do see where the transmission is odd. it’s so short you feel like all you’re is doing is shifting :lol: I did find the fronts overloaded much much too quickly slowing entry down and probably contributing to the long braking zones.

Cooper S; I found chasing Shaumns ghost around that my car was lacking on mid-exit grip and this hurt it. The gearing was a too tight so it never settled down till fourth gear. What helped was the cars entry was fast and it held the speed well. I will need to address the overly tight gearing and loading issues in the sweepers to really improve this car.

@shaunm80 -Mini 1.3i and Cooper S
1.3i Lap time:1:58.395 DC:9.2
Cooper S Lap time:1:55.394 DC:8.9
Combined;3:53.789
Impression of tunes;
1.3i; Stable, quick, predictable. After 3 laps I knew what the car could do and I could push it to it’s limit for my style. On lap 10 I hit a perfect lap minus two turns I know a 1:57’s is in the car for me but it would have taken me another 10-30 laps to get it all right. Very well done sir. Maybe a little more power next time 👍

Cooper S; Everything that 1.3i was only faster. It did something my Cooper S did not, it took the sweepers much better. Better mid-exit grip. It was fast stable and fun. Everything we want from a car right? Well done sir 👍

@sinof1337 - Honda Life Step Van and Odyssy
Life Step Van Lap time:1:59.039 DC:9.8
Odyssey Lap time:1:55.296 DC:9.5
Combined;3:54.335
Impression of tunes;
Life step van; Fantastic van, very point and shoot like Krenkme’s van. It never missed an apex and I could jump on the throttle anytime and see little or no understeer. Fantastic job sir. One thing kept this from being a perfect 10 DC and being the fastest of the van’s, the transmission. 5 km/h too long in 5th gear killed it from Sainte Devote to Massenet. Spread it out in 3rd and 4th gears, sometimes it’s better to sacrifice a little in a couple gear’s then a lot in one gear. I was chasing Krenkme’s ghost around and it would just pull away and I could never catch up completely after that.

Odyssey;Point and shoot just like the Life step but this time the transmission was spot on and the car just flew around the track. Little or no understeer throughout the entire track. it was the only one I felt that I could push as hard as I can drive and not be in the wall every few turns. Very well done sir.

@Slender_Man -Focus ST 170 and ST 13
ST170 Lap time:2:00.376 DC:8.8
ST Lap time:1:57.780 DC:6.2
Combined;3:58.156
Impression of tunes;
ST170; Great car solid stable, good rotation and grip, left foot braking required to keep rotation up. Lift off oversteer present to get around the really tight turns. Well done. But like DaBomm’s car it just wasn’t fast, lacked power.

ST ‘13; Odd duck that is what I will call this, understeer oversteer wait just kidding have some more understeer. The lift off oversteer helped it but not enough as the power understeer required great brake control to regulate. I saw glimpses of what this car could do and if I had another 30-50 laps I’m sure I could put a smoking good lap down, the car that wants something a little different in each turn and there is just not enough time in 10 laps for me to get everything just right.

Best Lap Old; Otaliema 1.3i 1:57.351
Best Lap New; Bowtie Type R EP 1:54.100
Most Liked; Krenkme Life step van 10, Cory's Type R 10, MCH's Golf's 10
Best Combined; 3:51.898 Otaliema’s Mini’s.

Attachments

• 640px-Monte_Carlo_Formula_1_track_map.png
    640px-Monte_Carlo_Formula_1_track_map.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 120

Impression of tunes;
1.3i; Stable, quick, predictable. After 3 laps I knew what the car could do and I could push it to it’s limit for my style. On lap 10 I hit a perfect lap minus two turns I know a 1:57’s is in the car for me but it would have taken me another 10-30 laps to get it all right. Very well done sir. Maybe a little more power next time 👍

Cooper S; Everything that 1.3i was only faster. It did something my Cooper S did not, it took the sweepers much better. Better mid-exit grip. It was fast stable and fun. Everything we want from a car right? Well done sir 👍

Thank you for the review. I am pleased that you could get the most of my Mini's 1.55 is very quick for the new mini. I am pleased with that time.

Very consistent times for all tunes so well done.

You can now relax for a little while. Or work on a over steering BMW.. :) Great job!

All cars tested at least 10 laps. Grip set Real, ABS 1 only, Arcade mode. Some of them got up to 30 laps to get the most out of them, the first four cars got another 10 laps mid way through to see if I could improve after getting more comfortable with the track. None did.

My cars got 10 laps period and I took the lap that didn’t have a time gain cut at Nouvelle. All other cars got the best lap I managed from them, no best lap has a cut at Nouvelle, some have tail taps. *Note in all cases tapping a wall cost the lap time, just sometimes the rest of the lap was so good it was the fastest.

@787bcgr - Golf I and V

Impression of tunes;
Golf Mk I; I found this car odd fun and frustrating all at the same time. It did what I asked it too most of the time. But soon as I hit it’s limit I found myself in a wall, nose first. It would rotate very well if I got the entry right, if I got it even a little bit wrong I found it very hard to make the corner. This is a high skill tune for this car. It’s good it’s fun, it’s just not driver friendly, it wants things it’s way or it’s the wall for you. The back of the car was too planted in the tight and slow sections of the track, it was great in the higher speed sweeper areas, it just lacked power to keep up.

Golf Mk V; Another high skill tune, that was a total blast to drive. It was planted in the turns and with left foot braking has excellent rotation I just couldn’t pin down everything in a single lap to really see a good lap time in this car. I can say it was the best of the Mk V’s it just needs a little better turn in that doesn’t require left foot braking to make happen.

Impression of tunes;
1500 3 Door; All over the place, it didn’t want to break or turn in well, low exit grip. But it responded very well to left foot braking and the transmission was very well balanced.

Type R;Low exit grip and long braking. Once I adjusted for these factors it became a very quick car, the transmission was maybe a tad long but that kept the wheel spin down helping out acceleration a great deal. Entry-mid corner was great but the understeer at exit really slowed it down.

Impression of tunes;
Golf Mk I; This car was spot on for rotation in all turns, no surprises most of the time, I did smack the wall a few times coming into a Nouvelle Chicane cause the car wasn’t settled after the tunnel. I did find the transmission was a shy short when I got everything right on the start/finish straight and the Nouvelle Chicane lead in, I would bounce the rev’s. The back end did it’s fair share of work on this car, but at times the front would just not grip.

Golf MK V; The power understeer is what killed this car in mainly in the sweepers. But also a Nouvelle I lost several good laps there and I would just watch as Hami’s Mk V ghost would sail past because it was on the throttle sooner. The 3 speed gearbox was great except in the low speed turns where it was hurt by lack of acceleration. In the mid section of the course it was the fastest hands down the lift off oversteer really came into it’s own but the rest of the track it would just lose time slowly.

Van
and Odyssey

Impression of tunes;
Life step van; This was fun little van to take around. I did find it didn’t like T1 very much but it took the rest of the turns great. It liked to load the outside front a little more than it should have in the mid speed turns and caused understeer. Sir did you load lead in the roof cause I rolled this one more than once. :lol:

Odyssey; Solid fast and stable. Due to it’s weight it required longer braking zones then other cars thus slowing me a down. I did find this one quite fun to throw into turn as it loved being sideways. Well done on the stability and fun factors. One note would be it’s a bit too unstable under braking, I darted off into a wall more than once right after I jumped on the brakes for a turn.

Impression of tunes;
1500 3 Door; This is a fun car, but it loved to understeer from mid-exit, I never quite figured out this car, I could get it around easily enough, I just couldn’t get any exit speed out of it. I found it didn’t like late braking, but it did love to let it’s tail wiggle. The car felt great I just couldn’t get any speed from it. Not sure why.

Type R; Ohh geeze this car was spot on, great rotation, great braking. Transmission would have helped the lower end with wheel spin and maybe gotten another couple tenths from the car. Otherwise it was perfect. It felt natural to drive it. I got best lap on lap 2! of my warm up laps for the day! I didn’t even need to run the car for it’s normal 10 laps, but I did for consistency of testing. An absolutely perfect lap would have been in the mid 54’s but I couldn’t hold it together for an entire lap, maybe another 20 and I would have gotten it there.

Impression of tunes;
ST170; Solid great rotation, excellent grip, it just wasn’t fast. if I tried pushing it hard it under steered like mad. Lacked power so it lost time on the uphill and flats.

ST ‘13; Crazy acceleration, fantastic rotation. even a bad lap was 1:57.xxx, the transmission and sweepers were the let downs here. Trans could have been a bit longer in 2nd and 3rd to reduce wheel spin, mid-exit grip was lacking in sweepers slowing me down a lot. Overall it was a great car and I would take it to a FF A-spec race any day.

Impression of tunes;
1500 3 Door; Holy stability batman! and that was was it’s downfall. It was great fun, I knew I could hang it out to dry and it would come back for me. But at the same time I couldn’t get it to turn in well so ended slowing down more then I would have liked for the turns which cost it time in the first two sectors. Well done great tune, I will be saving this one for FF races down the road.

Type R; Well done great rotation, fantastic exit grip. Well balanced transmission. The toe in on the front reduced entry rotation and killed my speed through the mid section and thus the lap I would keep up with or pass Cory’s ghost through the first sector but it would just pull away in the mid section and I couldn’t quite reel it back in the last sector.

Impression of tunes;
500 F: I could not push this car, every time I tried I spun in the first turn I got to. The snap oversteer was insane on this car. Smoothness was the key, one misstep and you’re lap is done. Brakes were fantastic, gearbox was great quick smooth shifts. I tested the car with a spring rate of 5.00/2.00 and rear damper C of 1 rear camber 0.0 ARB Rear 2, dropped my lap to 2:05 on the first go around and there was lots of room to improve it. This would be a great little stunt car. Slap some CH on it and you can do flat spins in the middle of the track.

500 1.2; Fantastic car. great rotation, superb braking. Transmission was a bit, ok lot short. I was rev limiter bouncing with over 20 meters to go coming to the Nouvell Chicane on a normal lap the fastest lap it was more like 40 meters. It had a hint of exit understeer if I tried to jump the gun on the throttle otherwise great car. If the 500F had been this stable this could have been a serious pairings even with how slow it was it was so small it could go flat out most of the track making up time in the twisty bits.

Impression of tunes;
206; Great little car. fun stable. Brakes were a bit on the weak side, and entry rotation was hard to get right. If I did it was great just flowed through the turns like fish in water. If i got it wrong it was like a drunk man in a china shop.

207; Good balanced car. it’s didn’t do anything great but nothing bad either. The gearing seemed a tad long seldom if ever used 6th gear. The only thing I could say is a little more mid-exit grip would have helped this car shave a bit off each turn.

Impression of tunes;
Life step van; I found one “problem” with this van, it was a kart in disguise! This little kart err I mean van, hit apex’s all of them. It is a point and go. Extremely well done sir. Side note, it didn’t like to be pushed really hard the outside front would overload otherwise I could ride the orange and drive the entire track screaming like banshee.

Odyssey; Try as I might I couldn’t get this car around teh track well. It’s heavy nature made for long braking zones. I ran 20 laps with this van and couldn’t get a lap faster then the Life step, I’m sorry sir I tried I just couldn’t get it there. The entry understeer and exit oversteer, combined with the weight made this a tough beast to drive fast for me. The transmission was great, the balance in the turns seemed a little heavy in front under braking and heavy in the tail under acceleration. I did run another 5 laps after finishing the other two cars and didn’t improve the time.

Impression of tunes;
CR-X; good rotation off throttle bit of understeer when on it. Stable and good slid braking. The weakest link in this one was the transmission was way too long. It had zero wheel spin but the acceleration was hurt so badly it just suffered through the entire lap. I did a quick test after I was done with a transmission set to 200 km/h (80 km/h less than published) and dropped the lap time to 1:59.4xx in 3 laps following the same path at the lap I ran previously. I even missed the first turn.

CR-Z;Spot on, great entry-exit rotation, as long as I didn’t floor it great grip through the entire turn. It just lacked power. I think going for full weight redux while great for handling hurt the time on the car. The ever annoying run 2 laps and reset didn’t help my rhythm for the track but it was easy enough car to drive I was laying down lap after lap in the 1:59’s if I put down another 10-20 laps I could prolly get a 1:57 from it with a perfect lap.

Impression of tunes;
Golf Mk I;Spot on! The back of this car was doing as much work as the front. Great braking and stability through the entire turn. I found the transmission a tad short but only only a little bit, couple hundred more RPM to keep it in power would have been perfect. On the first test I did have 5th gear set too short by 0.012 -_- I retested with the correct gear and found it was a 1 km/h gain, slightly slower acceleration in the gear 0.002 seconds slower per replays, I couldn’t better the lap due to wall tapping. I did find that the handling was not changed at all.

Golf Mk V; Fast yes, but it didn’t have the exit grip of the Mk I giving me a feeling of uneasiness in the turns knowing that I could slide out into a wall if I slip up even a tiny bit. The tail did it’s fair share of coming around like it’s more experienced counterpart but it kept going and never really let it settle down.

@OdeFinn - CR-X and CR-Z
Impression of tunes;
CR-X Fun, interesting, and stable. This car took me a while to get the hang of 17 laps. It’s a very throttle/brake driven car, once I got used to the feathering technique to get it rotating this car was a blast. It’s just not my style of driving so I was not as fast as it could be. I had a 1:59ish lap going and missed one braking point and it turned into a 2:05 lap and I didn’t hit a wall :banghead: Overall good car, just needs lots of laps to get used to it. If you push hard and try to drive it like a car that tuned for the game it will understeer it’s front wheels off, drive it more the way I understand FF cars are driven in real races and it’s quick. Left foot braking, throttle feathering, have to keep the front tires loaded in the entire turn.

CR-Z very similar to the CR-X in needed driving style so only took me a few laps to get the hang of it. I did find that the battery goes to pot after 3 ¾ laps recharges on 4th and works again on 5th lap, then does this recharge work thing till you pit. So thats annoying but the fault of anyone but PD. I did find the transmission was long never got to the 6th gear and short shifting 2nd caused major bog problems.

Impression of tunes;
1.3i; More twitchy than I remember, very long braking zones. Compared to Shaunm’s Prim and Proper 1.3i this was the wild crazy Yankee rebel. If you didn’t do what it wanted it did it anyways. After driving all the other cars I do see where the transmission is odd. it’s so short you feel like all you’re is doing is shifting :lol: I did find the fronts overloaded much much too quickly slowing entry down and probably contributing to the long braking zones.

Cooper S; I found chasing Shaumns ghost around that my car was lacking on mid-exit grip and this hurt it. The gearing was a too tight so it never settled down till fourth gear. What helped was the cars entry was fast and it held the speed well. I will need to address the overly tight gearing and loading issues in the sweepers to really improve this car.

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;
Life step van; Fantastic van, very point and shoot like Krenkme’s van. It never missed an apex and I could jump on the throttle anytime and see little or no understeer. Fantastic job sir. One thing kept this from being a perfect 10 DC and being the fastest of the van’s, the transmission. 5 km/h too long in 5th gear killed it from Sainte Devote to Massenet. Spread it out in 3rd and 4th gears, sometimes it’s better to sacrifice a little in a couple gear’s then a lot in one gear. I was chasing Krenkme’s ghost around and it would just pull away and I could never catch up completely after that.

Odyssey;Point and shoot just like the Life step but this time the transmission was spot on and the car just flew around the track. Little or no understeer throughout the entire track. it was the only one I felt that I could push as hard as I can drive and not be in the wall every few turns. Very well done sir.

Impression of tunes;
ST170; Great car solid stable, good rotation and grip, left foot braking required to keep rotation up. Lift off oversteer present to get around the really tight turns. Well done. But like DaBomm’s car it just wasn’t fast, lacked power.

ST ‘13; Odd duck that is what I will call this, understeer oversteer wait just kidding have some more understeer. The lift off oversteer helped it but not enough as the power understeer required great brake control to regulate. I saw glimpses of what this car could do and if I had another 30-50 laps I’m sure I could put a smoking good lap down, the car that wants something a little different in each turn and there is just not enough time in 10 laps for me to get everything just right.

Thanks again for taking the time to drive all of these cars!

Nice post Otaliema! Thanks for the 10. 👍

Sorry about not posting my times and DC of my cars. I'll edit this in,

450 Civic - 1:52.048 - I like it! Everything about it.
DC:10
400 Civic - 1:57.583 - I like it, but not as much as the '04. Lacked speed, but handling was pretty good.
DC: 9.8

@787bcgr - Golf I and V

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Van
and Odyssey

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

@OdeFinn - CR-X and CR-Z
Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Impression of tunes;

Thanks for testing. Glad you liked the 206. Might be tweeking toe 207. Fine reviews. Will be using all of this great info.

Thanks again for taking the time to drive all of these cars!

Nice post Otaliema! Thanks for the 10. 👍

Sorry about not posting my times and DC of my cars. I'll edit this in,

450 Civic - 1:52.048 - I like it! Everything about it.
DC:10
400 Civic - 1:57.583 - I like it, but not as much as the '04. Lacked speed, but handling was pretty good.
DC: 9.8
No problems guys 👍 for as much as the car/track combo drove me nuts the cars were fun to drive and toss around.
Learned a few things about FF tuning too :)

Lap times have been updated, pending any typos. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4N1jDCjSmsDU6LZzZumzhC6zRvCgLNauBWGGcZY7xM/edit?usp=sharing

Some interesting results here.

Fastest Average Lap Times for the older cars:
1. @Otaliema Mini Cooper '98
2. My VW Golf I '76
3. @krenkme Life Step Van '72

Fastest Average Lap Times for the newer cars:
1. @Bowtie-muscle Civic '04
2. @Otaliema Mini Cooper S '11
3. My VW Golf V '05
Is that correct with my 04 Civic? If so then wow. Too bad the old one was a disaster.

Lap times have been updated, pending any typos. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4N1jDCjSmsDU6LZzZumzhC6zRvCgLNauBWGGcZY7xM/edit?usp=sharing

Some interesting results here.

Fastest Average Lap Times for the older cars:
1. @Otaliema Mini Cooper '98
2. My VW Golf I '76
3. @krenkme Life Step Van '72

Fastest Average Lap Times for the newer cars:
1. @Bowtie-muscle Civic '04
2. @Otaliema Mini Cooper S '11
3. My VW Golf V '05
Those are interesting results for sure. wide spread on times this challenge. the cars were so different from each other.

Is that correct with my 04 Civic? If so then wow. Too bad the old one was a disaster.
Your still holding down 3rd place Can't argue about that. 👍

That was me, I put the cream on the brakes first though, then the jam. That is how they do it in Devon :)
Noooooooooooo! :lol:

Impression of tunes;

Thank you for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed them 👍 I never really got the cars as polished as would have liked, a combination of lack of time and not finding FF's as easy to manipulate lead to some fairly average cars but I'm still happy enough with their performance at the hands of all the testers, great job all round as ever :cheers:

@Otaliema, thanks for review, about gearboxes, it wasn't intended to get 6th on this track, both gearboxes are ready for taking all out from engine on longer tracks. Short shifting Honda is out of question, Honda's need to scream till end, and due torque range there can be used bit longer gears to pull car. :)
Stiff suspension, yes, doubled tension on springs.. ;)

Impression of tunes;

Thanks for testing! You can have a break now! I know I am! 👍
:cheers:

Are you sure you don't wanna do some testing for the M Power Challenge, it is going to be oversteer heaven for those cars :)
Thanks again for the offer Shaun but my PS3 isn't talking to GT6 at the moment and if that doesn't change, I'll be knocking on the door at the local asylum, asking for life membership & a nice soft pillow to cuddle :dopey:
The PS3 is fine with DVDs & other games so maybe the GT6 disc is nearing retirement :irked:

Back