Fix the Clutch Once and For All

I like the immersion factor of driving in cockpit view with shifter and clutch. I used to think it was me missing shifts, but found out it was a GT5 problem (yes it's been that long). Here it is years later and no improvement. It's not a mainstream problem so they haven't bothered to fixed it. Iv'e got a T500RS and only use the clutch on the beg. and inter. seasonals, can't afford a missed shift in expert. Is this a PD problem or is the clutch flawed in other games (PS4 & PC) too?

Last edited:
So the car isn't thrown into neutral if you have your foot on the accelerator! This problem has been around for years, I can't believe Polyphony Digital hasn't given a damn to fix it!

Why would the car go to neutral when you have the foot on the accelerator?

Wasn't there an article about this or something regarding with wheels with clutches in GT Prologue/GT5 being faster than their counterparts without a clutch?

Maybe? But what has that got to do with the clutch?
If you have your foot on the accelerator and pressed down more than 10%, when you engage the clutch, the game will throw the gear into neutral and you won't be able to change gears unless you take your foot of the clutch and start the process again (this time without pressing down on the accelerator). This makes your lap times slower especially on straights having to take your foot completely off the accelerator (though it might be advisable to do so anyway when cornering to avoid potential spinning).

I must say I managed to find a way to shift without any problems and quite fast, but there is another problem that should be solved IMO:

You can't use the clutch on many racecars and cars with racing transmissions, e.g. the Nissan R92CP which has a clutch in real life I think.

I must say I managed to find a way to shift without any problems and quite fast, but there is another problem that should be solved IMO:

You can't use the clutch on many racecars and cars with racing transmissions, e.g. the Nissan R92CP which has a clutch in real life I think.

I believe you are correct on the R92CP. Too old of a car to have paddles or even sequential stick shift.

I like the immersion factor of driving in cockpit view with shifter and clutch. I used to think it was me missing shifts, but found out it was a GT5 problem (yes it's been that long). Here it is years later and no improvement. It's not a mainstream problem so they haven't bothered to fixed it. Iv'e got a T500RS and only use the clutch on the beg. and inter. seasonals, can't afford a missed shift in expert. Is this a PD problem or is the clutch flawed in other games (PS4 & PC) too?
It's a PD problem. Clutch works quite well in other sims, PCars in particular. You can easily stall if you engage too quickly but you can also ride the clutch to get going, or pop the clutch for some nice smoke and wheelspin.

I sold my G27 back in 2011 because of this annoyance. It wasn't me shifting poorly. I've been driving stick for over 12 years. It's the game.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I was going to express my opposing viewpoints but I'll keep them to myself.

Last edited:
Not only is this a nuisance for those that want to race with a clutch, but it's particular annoying as a drifter to encounter the same shifting problems OP has mentioned above, considering most of us sliding around use both the handbrake and clutch for various drifting techniques.

Oh well, hopefully it's remodelled in GT6

If you have your foot on the accelerator and pressed down more than 10%, when you engage the clutch, the game will throw the gear into neutral and you won't be able to change gears unless you take your foot of the clutch and start the process again (this time without pressing down on the accelerator). This makes your lap times slower especially on straights having to take your foot completely off the accelerator (though it might be advisable to do so anyway when cornering to avoid potential spinning).
If this were true, it would be impossible to pull away on the clutch.

This issue has nothing to do with the clutch, only the gear selection logic.
If you want it fixed (and I do), then get it right.

I can't see it getting fixed as it was intentionally done by PD. The clutch was implemented as we'd like when GT5 Prologue came out, but then because you could power shift people with clutches had an advantage online.

Thus it was made so that you couldn't engage a higher gear if the accelerator was still pressed (or > 10%, whatever the threshold is).

They did this on purpose to eliminate the advantage of power shifting. I just can't see them going back on that just because we moan about it.

A more constructive thing to do may be to request a clutch button on the DS3. Then DS3 users could also use powershifting to their advantage if they had the skill, and so PD could remove this intentionally enforced restriction as it would be a level playing field once more. It'd also be nice for drifters etc. and generally make the game more involving for DS3 users.

I can't see it getting fixed as it was intentionally done by PD. The clutch was implemented as we'd like when GT5 Prologue came out, but then because you could power shift people with clutches had an advantage online.

Thus it was made so that you couldn't engage a higher gear if the accelerator was still pressed (or > 10%, whatever the threshold is).

They did this on purpose to eliminate the advantage of power shifting. I just can't see them going back on that just because we moan about it.

A more constructive thing to do may be to request a clutch button on the DS3. Then DS3 users could also use powershifting to their advantage if they had the skill, and so PD could remove this intentionally enforced restriction as it would be a level playing field once more. It'd also be nice for drifters etc. and generally make the game more involving for DS3 users.

Everything is said. The only thing I can add is that they could just add an option to activate "power shifting" on the online rooms, it will cost them nothing... But we're still waiting 5 years later...

Last edited:
Anyone have the problem when after getting off the line on first gear and you want to switch into 2nd then it won't work and you have to shift into 2nd gear for the 2nd time?

Anyone have the problem when after getting off the line on first gear and you want to switch into 2nd then it won't work and you have to shift into 2nd gear for the 2nd time?

Yes. Happens frequently. Not sure if it's me, the G27, or the game. It's probably a combination of all three.

An old PSX game Advan Racing combine both shift up and down with clutch, so if you press long enough, you are engaging the clutch and can rev the engine, really neat for PSX game and it does a lot of things that GT should do ( licensed tires, different size/tread fitment etc ).

Another game on PS2, D1 GP 2005 and 2006, uses separate clutch button, and it works wonder for clutch kick :P I could do it all day and drifting like mad :) PD needs to play these games and implement clutch on controller then fix the wheel clutch 👍

Seeing as shifting on the DS3 is already impossibly quick I see no reason why DS3 users need to be complaining. If anything clutch + H-shifter users should be.

On a lot of cars it's only really quick once you've bought the triple plate clutch though, whereas you can pretty much negate this with the clutch and H by just shifting really quickly. The reason it was disabled was because of people power shifting (so without lifting off the accelerator) which gave them an advantage online and in online time trials etc.

This was back in GT5 Prologue era. As I said earlier, the clutch isn't broken as such, it isn't a mistake by PD, it is something they have done intentionally so I doubt they'll be 'fixing' it any time soon. Clutch button on DS3 would be the best solution as then they could remove the restriction they've enforced for the H+Clutch without it being 'unfair' on anyone.

My question is; shouldn't someone that can master the H-shifter by power shifting be rewarded? Why penalize them unless there was a flaw with the game's shifting mechanism in the first place? Seems counterintuitive.

My question is; shouldn't someone that can master the H-shifter by power shifting be rewarded? Why penalize them unless there was a flaw with the game's shifting mechanism in the first place? Seems counterintuitive.

It takes nothing to master, in fact it is easier than doing it 'properly', as you just don't lift your right foot. In real life it is hard on the drivetrain, but that isn't modelled in GT, so there is no downside to doing it.

It gives people who can afford a wheel an advantage that can't be matched by those with a controller. Unfortunately PD chose an unrealistic route to fix it (just blocking it entirely if you're not completely off the throttle) as opposed to what would be a more simulation focused solution... Give DS3 users a clutch button.

@letdown427 - I agree. A quote from my thread over in the feedback forum here;

VBR
30) Clutch For DS3 Users: Why is there no option to assign the clutch to a button of our choice in the DS3 settings menu? Why do you force DS3 users to drive without it, is there any reason behind this decision? You say that you want to "simulate everything", so why not simulate something as basic & essential as a clutch for DS3 users by simply allowing them access to it? Please, allow DS3 users the option of choosing for themselves whether they want to drive with the clutch or not. That way, you can then undo the nerfing you've reportedly been inflicting upon the clutch model since GT5 Prologue, as wheel users will no longer have an advantage over DS3 users.

PD's choice: give DS3 users an extra function to enjoy Gran Turismo with (access to clutch), or ruin clutch model for all customers who've paid lots of money for wheels?

PD Logic - MUST NOT GIVE DS3 USERS ACCESS TO CLUTCH! MUST PUNISH WHEEL USERS! MUST NERF CLUTCH!

:dunce:

Back