FM7 vs. PCars 2 vs. GT:Sport

I think it's time for a thread title change... "The Forza Motorsport 7 Epic Whining and Crying Thread" perhaps?

Not that it isn't hilarious in here.
More like "The Forza Motorsport 5 Epic Whining and Crying Thread" though...

Christ, I make a thread to try and reduced off-topic spamming of other threads and it gets off-topic spammed. Just can't win.

Edit: Responding to this here since it's a discussion about this thread and probably should have been here to begin with.
You can ask @willbsn13 & the thread creator, @HighSeasHoMastr to elaborate on why it was made.
@Nielsen & anybody else who cares (for some reason...):

I made the other thread to focus discussion in one place. When I open a thread that is discussion about a news article about FM7, I'd like to find some discussion about that news article and/or FM7, not about how PCars 2 will be better than FM7. Similarly, when I open a thread that is titled about a feature in FM7, I'd like to see some posts about that feature in FM7, not a bunch of talk about how PCars 2 is going to do that feature better, or how it does some entirely different feature better. For that matter, I'd prefer not to see pages of PC vs Xbox One X discussion in a thread about FM7 running at 4k either, since we have dedicated hardware forums.

I have absolutely no problem with people discussing PCars 2. It looks cool. If it actually delivers on what it claims, it could be great. I'm not trying to tell people they can't compare Forza to PCars. I'm not even trying to say that they can't mention PCars in other threads. This thread is intended for dedicated discussion comparing the two games; if you want to start a debate about something mentioned in another thread, cross-reply here and go for it. The software on this forum is plenty strong enough to manage that.

What I was getting tired of was every thread being derailed by barely-relevant baiting and turning into a FM7 vs PCars 2 discussion. I understand that debate and discussion often take a winding path that strays into territory not strictly in line with the origin, and I have no problem with that. I just think that when multiple threads start straying into the same territory, there should probably be a thread to discuss that specifically, so that you don't have the same discussion split across multiple different threads.
If you have 4 threads talking about the same thing (and none of them mention that thing in their title) it's going to be very hard for anyone to follow the full discussion from the outside, and everyone is going to waste time saying the same things over and over. Plus, anyone looking for information about what the threads are actually titled is going to see a bunch of unrelated arguing and get frustrated.

I never though I'd have to explain the value of having dedicated threads on a forum but there you go. Otherwise why not just have one giant "Forza 7 Everything" thread and call it good?

Last edited:
Going to give this a bit more of a proper reply. My replies are within the quote behind the '=>'.

Since this thread was at one time about comparing Forza Motorsport 7 to Project CARS 2:

1. Does Project CARS 2 have an economy system, or any form of currency in-game at all? => there is no economy system whatsoever. All cars are available from the start in the game for single player career, quick race weekends or multiplayer. If you start the career in the lowest tier (for example the Zero to hero achievement in PCARS1) then you will start out in karts, then move to superkarts, then either branch towards formula racing (from formula rookie up to formula A) or else towards Clio cup, GT5, GT4, etc. I believe GT racing at some point branched into prototype racing as well. At the start of a new season you get contract offers from racing teams to race for them in a certain car for a certain season. Also note that you can start you career anywhere you like. Feel like starting a season as a GTE Endurance racer right away? You can. Enjoyed that GTE Endurance season so much you want to redo it for another team in another car? You can. There is even an achievement in PCARS1) to hold a championship title in any high tier racing series for 3 consecutive seasons.
  2. If there is no in-game economy system, how does a player gain access to new cars? => All cars in game will immediately be in your garage. A car with multiple liveries will still be 1 car, not copies of cars like in FM.
  3. If there is no unlocking system, does that mean that the game's entire car roster is available to use in Career/Multiplayer right away? => indeed
  4. Can the cars be upgraded (new engines, body kits, parts) or only be tuned? => There is no upgrading system like in Forza where you add Forza wings to classic cars, make questionable engine swaps and all that. And I really like that, makes it all feel a lot more realistic and you don't need a PI system either then. Of course tuning is in in its full glory like most racing games.
  5. Are there any unlockables in the game, outside of cars? => This is PCARS1 I'm talking about, not sure how it will be done for PCARS 2. There are achievements, accolades, bronze, silver and gold trophies to earn. When you win championships you unlock these trophies. When you complete races or championships you get invitational events which on winning them usually gives those bronze trophies. The fun thing is you can start wherever you want. If in that example for the GTE Endurance championship you win it, you will unlock the trophy for the GTE Endurance championship, since that is a main championship it would be a golden trophy. But halfway the season you might get an invite for a mini championship to let's say race a retro DTM car in a small championship. Winning that will give a silver trophy (since it's not a main championship). And you will probably get a few invitationals as well, for example 1 event (race weekend) at Bathurst to race with a V8 super car, winning that would result in a bronze trophy. Unlocking all the gold, silver and bronze trophies without shorting the race length/distance (which you can do if you want) will take a lot more time than getting those '100%' completions on the Forza 6 career mode. So bottom line is, there will be in-game trophies to collect through career mode so you will always have something to aim for. I am mostly a single player career type of player and I like the PCARS1 way of career mode more than Forza since in FM6 it's very linear but in PCARS2 you can start where you want.
  6. Will the game have any microtransactions? => absolutely not, PCARS1 didn't have them either.
  1. I haven't been following the news on that game, and am genuinely curious.
Hope this helps answering your questions, if you want to know more just ask.

Just for the record, I'm also a sucker for unlocking things and progressions (like in Dirt 4 now recently) and back when PCARS1 was out I was afraid that having access to everything at once would feel weird. Not collecting cash to buy cars would be awkward. But I think in PCARS1 they did it really great. You can start your career in the lowest tiers and season after season climb up to the higher tiers, if you want. You can immediately jump into a LMP1 championship as well if you want. For the in-game trophy gathering it doesn't matter at all in which order you complete things. But for that Zero to Hero achievement (if it returns - start in tier 9 karts and work your way up to tier 1 within 12 seasons or so) you might want to plan ahead a little in which order you will do the seasons.

@Nielsen & anybody else who cares (for some reason...):

I made the other thread to focus discussion in one place. When I open a thread that is discussion about a news article about FM7, I'd like to find some discussion about that news article and/or FM7, not about how PCars 2 will be better than FM7. Similarly, when I open a thread that is titled about a feature in FM7, I'd like to see some posts about that feature in FM7, not a bunch of talk about how PCars 2 is going to do that feature better, or how it does some entirely different feature better. For that matter, I'd prefer not to see pages of PC vs Xbox One X discussion in a thread about FM7 running at 4k either, since we have dedicated hardware forums.

I have absolutely no problem with people discussing PCars 2. It looks cool. If it actually delivers on what it claims, it could be great. I'm not trying to tell people they can't compare Forza to PCars. I'm not even trying to say that they can't mention PCars in other threads. This thread is intended for dedicated discussion comparing the two games; if you want to start a debate about something mentioned in another thread, cross-reply here and go for it. The software on this forum is plenty strong enough to manage that.

What I was getting tired of was every thread being derailed by barely-relevant baiting and turning into a FM7 vs PCars 2 discussion. I understand that debate and discussion often take a winding path that strays into territory not strictly in line with the origin, and I have no problem with that. I just think that when multiple threads start straying into the same territory, there should probably be a thread to discuss that specifically, so that you don't have the same discussion split across multiple different threads.
If you have 4 threads talking about the same thing (and none of them mention that thing in their title) it's going to be very hard for anyone to follow the full discussion from the outside, and everyone is going to waste time saying the same things over and over. Plus, anyone looking for information about what the threads are actually titled is going to see a bunch of unrelated arguing and get frustrated.

I never though I'd have to explain the value of having dedicated threads on a forum but there you go. Otherwise why not just have one giant "Forza 7 Everything" thread and call it good?

Why the thread was created is not really my concern, but rather the relatively unpleasant mood surrounding its eventual creation and subsequent reception. As I already said, it has been somewhat bizarre to observe the way in which some people have responded to mentions of Project CARS 2 in FM7 threads. Ultimately, this thread came across as a major pun coming from that direction. Nothing personal against you or anyone in particular. However, I will say the thread might have been better off taking a broader scope such as "FM7 vs. other racing sims", but this is something which already exists (sort of). The surfacing of very specific threads left and right rarely end up achieving much more than forum clutter. Just my perspective and opinion, and let's not pretend I requested a comprehensive explanation or justification from anyone, but thanks for taking your time.

The sins of the past will never be forgotten. I've put time in to Forza 5 ( although the game is dated, and reflects nothing on the current mindset of Forza) I always seen the tokens as more of a way to donate to Turn 10. It really wasn't that hard to earn money in Forza 5. I didn't get the F1 car quickly, but I was able to amass a small fortune relatively quickly. I'm not sure why Forza 5 is being debated when we've had 3 other Forza games since, with a 4th game coming in the current months.

VgaBncw.gif

This thread keeps delivering.

GTSport doesn't have upgrading, not sure why engine displacement matters.

Bingo!

Funny thing about FM5 popping up in this thread, it was actually part of the catalyst for why I'm buying PCARS2 instead of FM7.

Before E3 2013, I was set on an XBone for FM5 and FH2 and so on, because I had enjoyed FH1 so much. But FM5 was nothing like the "next gen" experience I expected, even with tempered expectations for a launch title. Sure, less content in the jump to a new console is understandable, but the track list was a disaster. I had already lost interest in FM4 after less than six months for want of more appealing tracks, and then T10 chopped off the ones I liked.

Between FM5 and the XBone's unfortunate introduction (wow), I bought a Wii U that winter. I've always been a Nintendo fan, but I actually wasn't considering a Wii U at all before E3.

If I had an XBone, I probably would have bought FH2 and FH3, maybe FM6, probably FM7. Now I have a PS4, and PCARS1 proved to be the "next gen" experience I expected in 2013. Granted it's somewhat fancier than a launch title could probably be, but I at least expected dynamic time-of-day from FM5, not just infinitesimal details on cars and a supernova in place of the sun. I had also expected larger strides in gameplay, including some of the features and options in PCARS.

FM7 is too late, and FM5 and FM6 aren't very fun to play from the opportunities I've had to try them, so I don't think I'd enjoy FM7 much even though it's sure to have more cars I'd like to drive (with better physics).

Sorry, the thread title caught my attention and then I wanted to say something about the FM5 talk.

I plan to pick up both.

I don't really get this whole one but not the other.

I get in some cases some may only be able to afford just the one.

But to me both games look good and I look forward to trying out both.
I'm buying FM7 for the cars and PCARS 2 for the tracks.

Hopefully the career mode for PCARS 2 is as good as the one from the first one.

Funny thing about FM5 popping up in this thread, it was actually part of the catalyst for why I'm buying PCARS2 instead of FM7.

Before E3 2013, I was set on an XBone for FM5 and FH2 and so on, because I had enjoyed FH1 so much. But FM5 was nothing like the "next gen" experience I expected, even with tempered expectations for a launch title. Sure, less content in the jump to a new console is understandable, but the track list was a disaster. I had already lost interest in FM4 after less than six months for want of more appealing tracks, and then T10 chopped off the ones I liked.

Between FM5 and the XBone's unfortunate introduction (wow), I bought a Wii U that winter.
Sorry, the thread title caught my attention and then I wanted to say something about the FM5 talk.

track list a disaster? forza 5 day 1 simply had some of the very best, highly detailed, laser scanned set of tracks available in a commercial game at that time.
brand new laser scanned Spa (if you remember it was so fresh that people accused it of being ...fanstasy, because of shell's brand new sponsoring)
Bathurst, LeMans, Long Beach, Silverstone, Yas, Indianapolis etc, and all these were brand new laser scans created from zero for this gen. on day 1.
Forza 5 even brought the very first complete laser scaned Nurburgring in forza 5, overtaking simply everyone else in doing so.

Say track list was limited compared to previous gen forzas (although you'll be cmparing laser scans to hand paints), but calling it a "disaster" does not ring true to me.
Back then in winter 2013, experiencing forza5 with its brand new content at the new generation specs (1080/60) and with new, more alive physics, pbr materials etc was a thing. a more "next-gen feeling" thing than anything else imo.
And the difference of this "new" thing, you could understand and feel the first minute you picked up the new game vs the old ones.
So, to me thats much more worthy than waiting a couple of years to get maybe 5 or 6 extra tracks, let alone calling it a disaster.

Last edited:
I love the car lists in both Forza games, but I'm gonna pass on F7. I'm getting a bit weary with the two separate games and buying DLC for the one, when I'm playing the other and can't use those cars. Then, sure the new game gets that DLC as standard. Then, the other new game gets different cars again, that can't be used in the other newer game.

I love the car lists in both Forza games, but I'm gonna pass on F7. I'm getting a bit weary with the two separate games and buying DLC for the one, when I'm playing the other and can't use those cars. Then, sure the new game gets that DLC as standard. Then, the other new game gets different cars again, that can't be used in the other newer game.
you are not only talking about using your same dlc between ..sequels of a game (ex. forza5 to forza6),
but you are talking about using your dlc from one game, to another game (horizon2 to forza6) ?

If I understand correctly, that would be the same statement as someone saying "I aint buying pcars2 until the dlc I bought for pcars1 works on it. And not only that, but my dlc from World of Speed and Shift2 too!"

Last edited:
you are not only talking about using your same dlc between ..sequels of a game (ex. forza5 to forza6),
but you are talking about using your dlc from one game, to another game (horizon2 to forza6) ?
Not so much transferring that DLC, but those same cars not available in both games. It'll never happen, but I'm sure people still play both games. So many Australian cars came as DLC in FH3 and not available to race in F6. F6 is not an old game. It could actually go for as long as GTA V. With more fine tuning, cars, tracks, features, which are in F7. We'll see how soon FH4 comes out and with what cars.

I just feel like, okay, I've just bought DLC, now, I'm buying more cars for what reason? Couldn't Horizon be on a second disc or incorporate the open world element in the Forza game. Like I mentioned, it'll never happen because T10 are making good money from marketing separate games.

Not so much transferring that DLC, but those same cars not available in both games. It'll never happen, but I'm sure people still play both games. So many Australian cars came as DLC in FH3 and not available to race in F6. F6 is not an old game. It could actually go for as long as GTA V. With more fine tuning, cars, tracks, features, which are in F7. We'll see how soon FH4 comes out and with what cars.

I just feel like, okay, I've just bought DLC, now, I'm buying more cars for what reason? Couldn't Horizon be on a second disc or incorporate the open world element in the Forza game. Like I mentioned, it'll never happen because T10 are making good money from marketing separate games.
no it cant be the same game horizon and forza, for many reasons, some being technical, some being economical.
probably for their POCKETS, what you suggest is waaay more profitable, milk-it-a-la-gta while providing minimal (compared to now) content, but good for us they seem to understand that when they are trying to cater to all these different audiences, and not being an ass doing so, they have to be flexible and at the same time firm on some things. if anything, I'd say there might be room for even a third forza francise between the other two.

for a solution to your problem, why not try to not buy dlc instead? if you think like this, isn;t that a solution?
for horizon4, my bets are on it releasing next september.

no it cant be the same game horizon and forza, for many reasons, some being technical, some being economical.
probably for their POCKETS, what you suggest is waaay more profitable, milk-it-a-la-gta while providing minimal (compared to now) content, but good for us they seem to understand that when they are trying to cater to all these different audiences, and not being an ass doing so, they have to be flexible and at the same time firm on some things. if anything, I'd say there might be room for even a third forza francise between the other two.

for a solution to your problem, why not try to not buy dlc instead? if you think like this, isn;t that a solution?
for horizon4, my bets are on it releasing next september.
In order to not buy DLC, I'd have to buy one or the other. I bought the Porsche DLC for F6, but I didn't for FH3. I just couldn't justify spending the money again, for cars I've got already. Now, I wanted the Falcon GT and Chrysler Charger in FH3, but when F7 was announced, i figure those cars will come in the game. So, why buy it now? However, I miss experiencing them in FH3.

That's a good idea. I'd find my self buying Horizon cars for use in Motorsport if Turn 10 and Playground did that.

That's a good idea. I'd find my self buying Horizon cars for use in Motorsport if Turn 10 and Playground did that.

Likely never going to happen, there are licensing limitations for each game; there is also the matter of unique DLC for each game.

You're likely to see race car DLC in Forza Motorsport but not Forza Horizon.

There is also the problem of cars pre-existing in either of the cars car lists already.

The biggest issue is that Motorsport and Horizon actually have separate communities, the DLC would likely cost more than normal because it would be available for both and would sell a great deal less.

In order to not buy DLC, I'd have to buy one or the other. I bought the Porsche DLC for F6, but I didn't for FH3. I just couldn't justify spending the money again, for cars I've got already. Now, I wanted the Falcon GT and Chrysler Charger in FH3, but when F7 was announced, i figure those cars will come in the game. So, why buy it now? However, I miss experiencing them in FH3.
can you please explain what you mean in the underlined part?
now about porsche pack, since we all know about porsche royalties etc, how does it make sense that turn10 and playground could get away with paying porsche only once for two different games? or even pay little? 2x AAA games, coming from the "big pocket" microsoft itself. ex. if ms was knockin' on my door for a license, doing them extra discounts would be exactly the last thing on my mind. :D
I mean, some things are not 100% up to the developer team, we have to realize that.
I also didn't buy the porsche pack in h3, for the same reason you did.
In fact I am pretty sure its the only thing I didnt buy. I can understand what you say. But as I wrote, there are reasons more than "gimme moar money".

Seeing how turn10 stroke a deal with Porsche for 5 years, with one of the boons being porsches included day1 at no extra cost on forza7, (other being a development in esport area, a third being a fantastic giveaway of porsche cars((free)) through forzathons, etc), its not like you can say that they are not seeing a problem and not trying to find a solution for it.
right?

edit:
You're likely to see race car DLC in Forza Motorsport but not Forza Horizon.
You know, they are different games, and horizon is more about fun in a more silly way.

I love taking my GT-R and my Holden VF in the Hot Wheels track doing loop-the-loops and aerial stunts.
And thats a kind of silly fun, that by definition forza motorsport should/could never give me.
Bottom line,
They are DIFFERENT games, to combine this with my answer to 05XR8 above, and the fact that the latter uses a loosen-up version of the technology of the former in some ways, and enhanced in other ways, is exactly the reason we get to have not one, but two different fantastic games.

(shameless plug of my flying c7r)
3fff6ee4-ca36-47df-b65cql7.png

Last edited:
I don't really get this whole one but not the other.

Well I recently read a golden comment somewhere on some forum but it holds so much truth: Either you are so young you don't have the money to buy a lot of games, or else you are at the age where the money doesn't really matter anymore but you simply don't have the time to play all these games.

I'm in the second boat being over the age of 40. I have a full time 40 hour/week daytime job. My passion is also dancing (kizomba, salsa, bachata) so I enjoy the nightlife quite a bit as well, I'm currently even on a 14 days non-stop dancing holidays in Rovinj, Croatia and I'm absolutely loving it here. I know very well I should spend less time of my life on games but alas the addiction is often hard to resist, especially on the dark and cold winter nights.

And apart from racing games I do enjoy other games as well like FPS, RPG and RTS games, absolutely loved Horizon Zero Dawn for example for which I even bought a PS4 Pro (where The Last of Us + Uncharted 1-4 both remastered are now also waiting to be played... if I find the time, sigh). Even a card game like Hearthstone or browser games like Forge of Empires I spend quite a lot of time with. And next year I believe Red Dead Redemption 2 will also be released, for sure that is also a great title. I'm still somewhere halfway the single player campaign of COD: Infinite Warfare and I have yet got to start playing BF1 and FFXV. Need...more...time...

So if I would not have a job yes I would probably buy FM7 and GT:S as well "to check out these games" and play them a bit. But from all the info I've read so far about PCARS2 (and having first hand experience with PCARS1, AC, FM5&6, GT5&6) I am fully confident that PCARS2 will offer me the best racing experience and if I had to pick 1 game it would be hands down that one, no competition whatsoever. I honestly do not have the time to even check out the other racing games. I did get Dirt 4 as well though and for the only reason that I absolutely love rallycross (both real life and in-game) and the fact that it released several months before PCARS2 so I knew I would find some time to play it enough.

As I already stated elsewhere, for me Turn 10 doesn't bring enough new content to their FM series. FM5 and FM6 are almost the same game and whatever is new (like rain and night racing) has been done years before in other games already. From what I've seen from FM7 so far I'm not impressed at all. So much blah blah in that E3 demo about that Porsche.... it's just 1 car ffs.

So yes FM7 I will definitely skip, I'm not even interested in it for Black Friday or holiday sales. But skipping one (or more) titles in the series might be good, maybe at some point (FM8 or 9 or 10) there will be enough new content build up over those versions that for me personally it warrants a new purchase and make me want to play FM again. On the other hand though it's very clear Turn 10 is stepping more and more away from realistic racing and lean more and more towards arcade games (Hot Wheels and Fallout Rocket in FM6, astronaut suites in FM7, who knows what is next). On the other side SMS is making PCARS2 even more realistic than PCARS1 with manual pitstops, formation and cool down laps, live track 3.0, an updated tyre model etc. And since a realistic simulation feeling is what I'm looking for in my racing games the choice is obvious.

But hey, if people don't mind Hot Wheels, Fallout, Fast and Furious themes in FM, if they are happy with the PI system and unrealistic upgrades, if 300 driver suits is in your opinion developer time well invested in a new title then by all means go buy FM7 since we obviously have different interests in racing games.

As I already stated elsewhere, for me Turn 10 doesn't bring enough new content to their FM series. FM5 and FM6 are almost the same game and whatever is new (like rain and night racing) has been done years before in other games already. From what I've seen from FM7 so far I'm not impressed at all. So much blah blah in that E3 demo about that Porsche.... it's just 1 car ffs
They definitely hold onto the "Slow and steady" pace, but to be honest, I think I prefer the polish this game has over many other games on the market. I really did enjoy the first Pcars, but I had such a horrible time more often than not with its lack of optimization. If anything, I think it's Pcars that made me appreciate that more than ever.

I'm worried for Pcars2, because of the quote floating around from Ian Bell not being entirely concerned with FPS over features. I feel that is the one spot it needed more attention, because that would have made the game really shine for me.

So yes FM7 I will definitely skip, I'm not even interested in it for Black Friday or holiday sales. But skipping one (or more) titles in the series might be good, maybe at some point (FM8 or 9 or 10) there will be enough new content build up over those versions that for me personally it warrants a new purchase and make me want to play FM again. On the other hand though it's very clear Turn 10 is stepping more and more away from realistic racing and lean more and more towards arcade games (Hot Wheels and Fallout Rocket in FM6, astronaut suites in FM7, who knows what is next). On the other side SMS is making PCARS2 even more realistic than PCARS1 with manual pitstops, formation and cool down laps, live track 3.0, an updated tyre model etc. And since a realistic simulation feeling is what I'm looking for in my racing games the choice is obvious.
Yeah, from the sounds of it you'd probably be better off skipping every other iteration for the FM side of things if you're looking for bigger leaps.

I do agree that the Horizon and Hot wheels pack was pushing the boundaries more towards Arcade, but that game is already leaning that direction in the first place, so I'm not entirely sure that is an issue. That game is supposed to be for silly fun. However, I don't agree at all with the instance of Fm moving towards arcade just because of the inclusion of some cars. They very much just made the Rocket run of some sort of engine configuration already available to them, it wasn't superpowered like it actually is in Fallout. The fast and furious cars even less so, considering they're actually real cars.

Me not being fussed with Motorsports and all that, and have more a leaning towards just making road cars go fast, Forza fits the bill perfectly for me. Pcars is fun in it's own right, but what I really like is customization. Makes things much more "intimate" for lack of a better word :lol:

But hey, if people don't mind Hot Wheels, Fallout, Fast and Furious themes in FM, if they are happy with the PI system and unrealistic upgrades, if 300 driver suits is in your opinion developer time well invested in a new title then by all means go buy FM7 since we obviously have different interests in racing games.
Yes, because the people that choose FM7 only chose it because those are the only positives for the game. :rolleyes:

Yeah if customisation is what you want (both upgrading/tuning and painting) then Forza is probably the place to be. But also here, I don't think there will be much differences between FM5-6-7 no? I wouldn't know since I never had any interest in painting cars.

As a little side game, I did enjoy some car photography in FH3 though but with GT:S scapes thing that might be the better game for it.

In the end I mainly enjoy the racing games for the *shrug* racing. All the side things like painting, photography, replays, upgrading, auction house, tuning are not really my main goals in such games.

I don't even hype up that much about cars anymore, if a game has over 100 cars (but really the good iconic racing and road cars, no limos and Aztecs etc) that's already good enough for me. I much more prefer a load of tracks over a load of cars and this is an aspect where AC and GT:S really fall short IMO. FM6&7 aren't doing so bad with their +/- 30 locations but the clear winner is PCARS2 with over 60 locations. Add to that the fact that these all come with full dynamic time of day+weather and seasons. There was recently a PCARS2 VR video released in a Catherham around Red Bull Ring.... in the snow! Having these live track 3.0 layers for rain/puddles, dirt/mud, snow/ice, dynamic track temperature from sun/shade/cars and rubbering in of a track by cars is absolutely great and I think it will pump fresh new life into tracks I already know from previous games (RBR static sunshine daytime being in AC and GT6 for example). A while ago there was a video of an Indycar driving around Long Beach in PCARS2 with accelerated time of day. I only know that track from FM5/6 but seeing the scenery change from daytime to sunset and night while the buildings are illuminated was absolutely great to see. It surely pumps new life into a track I know from Forza. And I'm not even a fan of that track. :)

Last edited:
Yeah if customisation is what you want (both upgrading/tuning and painting) then Forza is probably the place to be. But also here, I don't think there will be much differences between FM5-6-7 no? I wouldn't know since I never had any interest in painting cars.

As a little side game, I did enjoy some car photography in FH3 though but with GT:S scapes thing that might be the better game for it.
To be honest, we only know so much at this time. I like what I'm seeing so far, though. FM5-6 had enough inbetween the two games, they added to what it desperately need, more cars and tracks. I'm really wanting to know how "Dynamic" weather is working, because as it turns out, it's apparently not for all tracks.

I love photography in games. If anything I'd be willing to bet that I spend just as much time in that mode than actually racing. GTS Scapes do look beautiful, but them being just super-imposed vehicles on actually real photos, it makes things a bit easier. Although a plus, they also seem very restrictive in movement, which I'm not entirely liking.

I don't even hype up that much about cars anymore, if a game has over 100 cars (but really the good iconic racing and road cars, no limos and Aztecs etc) that's already good enough for me. I much more prefer a load of tracks over a load of cars and this is an aspect where AC and GT:S really fall short IMO. FM6&7 aren't doing so bad with their +/- 30 locations but the clear winner is PCARS2 with over 60 locations. Add to that the fact that these all come with full dynamic time of day+weather and seasons. There was recently a PCARS2 VR video released in a Catherham around Red Bull Ring.... in the snow! Having these live track 3.0 layers for rain/puddles, dirt/mud, snow/ice, dynamic track temperature from sun/shade/cars and rubbering in of a track by cars is absolutely great and I think it will pump fresh new life into tracks I already know from previous games (RBR static sunshine daytime being in AC and GT6 for example). A while ago there was a video of an Indycar driving around Long Beach in PCARS2 with accelerated time of day. I only know that track from FM5/6 but seeing the scenery change from daytime to sunset and night while the buildings are illuminated was absolutely great to see. And I'm not even a fan of that track. :)
I think that all sounds great on paper, but so did Pcars1. I'm going to stay back until I can get some release reviews, as that's likely the only time that we'd be able to get some true info on optimization. Although I have much more interest in the way FM7 is shaping up to be, rather than the aim of Pcars, I'm still going to buy it if the issues that plagued the first iteration are rectified.

track list a disaster? forza 5 day 1 simply had some of the very best, highly detailed, laser scanned set of tracks available in a commercial game at that time.
brand new laser scanned Spa (if you remember it was so fresh that people accused it of being ...fanstasy, because of shell's brand new sponsoring)
Bathurst, LeMans, Long Beach, Silverstone, Yas, Indianapolis etc, and all these were brand new laser scans created from zero for this gen. on day 1.
Forza 5 even brought the very first complete laser scaned Nurburgring in forza 5, overtaking simply everyone else in doing so.
It doesn't matter how laser-scanned or detailed they are if I don't enjoy lapping them. Again, I got bored of FM4 because it didn't offer enough tracks I enjoyed driving. FM5 ditched my favorites from FM4, even the frickin' Nürburgring until it reappeared later, and almost all the new additions are not my kind of circuit. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was a 100% certainty the game would bore me in a matter of weeks. That's absolutely no justification to invest in a new $500 (!) console plus an additional ~$200 for an HDMI-compatible display, which I didn't have until 2015.

In terms of convincing me to buy a console I was already sure I wanted to buy, FM5 was a serious dud. But that's down to my preference in tracks, as well as physics and other features. If you enjoy those tracks you listed and the handling in the XBone Forza games, of course FM5 could be a revelatory launch day experience. :cheers:

can you please explain what you mean in the underlined part?
now about porsche pack, since we all know about porsche royalties etc, how does it make sense that turn10 and playground could get away with paying porsche only once for two different games? or even pay little? 2x AAA games, coming from the "big pocket" microsoft itself. ex. if ms was knockin' on my door for a license, doing them extra discounts would be exactly the last thing on my mind. :D
I mean, some things are not 100% up to the developer team, we have to realize that.
I also didn't buy the porsche pack in h3, for the same reason you did.
In fact I am pretty sure its the only thing I didnt buy. I can understand what you say. But as I wrote, there are reasons more than "gimme moar money".

Seeing how turn10 stroke a deal with Porsche for 5 years, with one of the boons being porsches included day1 at no extra cost on forza7, (other being a development in esport area, a third being a fantastic giveaway of porsche cars((free)) through forzathons, etc), its not like you can say that they are not seeing a problem and not trying to find a solution for it.
right?

edit:

You know, they are different games, and horizon is more about fun in a more silly way.

I love taking my GT-R and my Holden VF in the Hot Wheels track doing loop-the-loops and aerial stunts.
And thats a kind of silly fun, that by definition forza motorsport should/could never give me.
Bottom line,
They are DIFFERENT games, to combine this with my answer to 05XR8 above, and the fact that the latter uses a loosen-up version of the technology of the former in some ways, and enhanced in other ways, is exactly the reason we get to have not one, but two different fantastic games.

(shameless plug of my flying c7r)
3fff6ee4-ca36-47df-b65cql7.png

You recommended this:
I'm saying, if I try to not buy the DLC, I'm missing out on good cars in either game. So, I would have to choose which game I want to buy.
Example: I have F6 & FH3. I want to drive a widebody Celica right now. I can't do that in F6. I can only do that in FH3. I would have to buy FH3 for that feature.

If I wanted to race at Bathurst with the Chrysler Charger. I can't do that in F6. The car is only in FH3.

Why can't I get that car right now for a game I'm still playing. It'll probably be in F7, but the car is modelled now.

That's all.

This is also a rather funny interview with Stephen Viljoen from SMS talking about what's new in Project CARS 2 with the few nods at "the other guys". :) But you can see he is genuinely enthusiastic about the new game.

And below is my favourite Project CARS 2 gameplay video so far. The new (and PCARS2 exclusive) McLaren 720s taken around the Autodrome International Algarve (AIA) in Portimao, Portugal in a rather exaggerated drifty fashion (in VR). But it shows really well what the handling/tyre system is capable of (and how awesome this track is :lol:). And it's not even a promo video or anything, just a guy from WMD who recorded it and was allowed by SMS to publish it on YouTube. But such videos mean a lot more to me than all the misleading and shiney trailers that a particular studio often puts out. ;)

Last edited:
It makes too much "sense" and not enough dollars, to do that. ;)
It could make money when each games DLC being separate, makes no money.

IIRC both titles are using the Forza Engine, so cars should work in either game. It would take a different licencing agreement to do that. They can still package the DLC as FM or FH packs. But the contents will be compatible with both.

You recommended this:

I'm saying, if I try to not buy the DLC, I'm missing out on good cars in either game. So, I would have to choose which game I want to buy.
Example: I have F6 & FH3. I want to drive a widebody Celica right now. I can't do that in F6. I can only do that in FH3. I would have to buy FH3 for that feature.

If I wanted to race at Bathurst with the Chrysler Charger. I can't do that in F6. The car is only in FH3.

Why can't I get that car right now for a game I'm still playing. It'll probably be in F7, but the car is modelled now.

That's all.

You're asking T10 to do something no other game developer does and while it would be nice, it also seems unreasonable.

The way DLC works is you either bite the bullet and buy the DLC or you wait for the next installment and hope that particular content makes it into the next game.

@Wolfe
So, I take it from your posts that you won't even buy FM7 for PC?
If PC Forza titles were available on Windows 7 through not-the-Windows-store and would run favorably on my non-gaming laptop, I would be more likely to buy FH3 or FH4 instead. For a motorsports-oriented title, I'm getting PCARS2 with its potentially top-tier physics (judging from the recent Evo VI SVA drift video, which is a promising demonstration of a leap forward in oversteer control).

I seriously doubt FM7 will compete with PCARS2 in terms of physics/handling and I don't expect it to, because the FM5/FM6 model is well-liked and accessible. That's cool, but the specific concessions it makes just don't sit well with me in how it affects drifting and handling balance. That's also why I'm not motivated to upgrade to a more powerful PC or Windows 10 (:yuck:) to play Horizon.

If PC Forza titles were available on Windows 7 through not-the-Windows-store and would run favorably on my non-gaming laptop, I would be more likely to buy FH3 or FH4 instead. For a motorsports-oriented title, I'm getting PCARS2 with its potentially top-tier physics (judging from the recent Evo VI SVA drift video, which is a promising demonstration of a leap forward in oversteer control).

I seriously doubt FM7 will compete with PCARS2 in terms of physics/handling and I don't expect it to, because the FM5/FM6 model is well-liked and accessible. That's cool, but the specific concessions it makes just don't sit well with me in how it affects drifting and handling balance. That's also why I'm not motivated to upgrade to a more powerful PC or Windows 10 (:yuck:) to play Horizon.

I don't understand, Project Cars isn't exactly some insanely optimized game.(Forza has a ton of settings that let it play on a range of computers.)

I get the Windows 7 argument though, even though I personally think Windows 10 is better.

Back