Food Ethics (Poll)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 369 comments

Why do you refuse to eat certain foods?

• I'm against animal torture (eg: foie gras)

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • I'm against animal killing (vegetarian)

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • I'm against animal labor (vegan)

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I'm trying to limit my greenhouse gas footprint

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • I refuse to eat genetically modified foods

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • I refuse to eat meat that has been treated with hormones treatment

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I'm refuse to eat meat that has been treated with prophylactic antibiotics

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • I eat "free range"

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I eat "organic"

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • I won't eat smart animals

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • I won't eat endangered animals

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I won't eat cute animals

• I'll eat whatever is tasty.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Danoff is an uninformed looser who doesn't know about my particular concerns (this is "other")

Votes: 23 12.9%
  • Only "natural" ingredients.

• I'm watching my figure

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • I won't eat foods my religion bans

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
It was a complete accident. I was in Brno in Czechia with my girlfriend and she was tasked with finding us a place to get something to eat. She found somewhere which was apparently top rated for the town and it was across the road from our hotel. We didn't know it was a vegan restaurant until we sat down and were looking at the menu. I had had seitan before so I didn't mind trying it again and yeah, this pulled pork-effect burger made from seitan was absolutely superb. I can't lie about that.

i watched the Netflix doco “You are what you eat” recently, which I found quite entertaining.

The Jist of it, is they took 20 odd sets of twins, vigorously tested their health, then put each twin on a diet. One was given healthy vegan food, the other was given healthy meat-inclusive food. After 6 weeks they tested them again.

To spoil it, both diets were very beneficial, with pretty similar improvements to brain, body and fitness across the board. One notable difference was that the vegan twins tended to lose muscle mass in addition to fat mass, which I’m guessing could be protein related.

What I didn’t expect from the show, was the interesting tangent stories that were told throughout. Chicken farmers growing mushrooms, Michelin star restaurants going vegan, neighbours of pig farms…

The series clearly has a barrow to push, being pro-vegan, however, nothing stated was false or unfair. I’m a meat guy, and I couldn’t really argue with any of it. It was hard to finish watching it and not feel a bit guilty for continuing to eat meat.

It’s been a few weeks since and while I’m still in no hurry to stop eating meat, I have been putting more thought into my choices. I couldn’t tell you the last time a piece of content stuck with me like that, and I’d recommend giving it a watch with an open mind.

One notable difference was that the vegan twins tended to lose muscle mass in addition to fat mass, which I’m guessing could be protein related.
Something similar happened with Happy Humphrey, the heaviest wrestler of all time. From weighing 802lbs / 306kg / 58st, he was given a strictly controlled, supervised diet in a health centre:

Phase one was high protein such as eggs, skimmed milk, beef and margerine.
Phase two was high carbohydrates such as toast, corn and rice.
Phase three was high fat such as salt-free mayonnaise, butter, cream and creamed cheese.

Over the course of the programme, his weight dropped to 232lbs / 105kg / 16.5st with roughly an even amount per cycle. He wasn't allowed to exercise to avoid weight loss through sweating. On the high protein diet, his appetite was satiated for longer and the majority of the mass lost was body fat. On the high carbohydrates diet, the mass lost was 50/50 between body fat and muscle tissue. On the high fat diet, body fat was reduced but also an excessive amount of water with the predictable side effect of high cholesterol.

Something similar happened with Happy Humphrey, the heaviest wrestler of all time. From weighing 802lbs / 306kg / 58st, he was given a strictly controlled, supervised diet in a health centre:

Phase one was high protein such as eggs, skimmed milk, beef and margerine.
Phase two was high carbohydrates such as toast, corn and rice.
Phase three was high fat such as salt-free mayonnaise, butter, cream and creamed cheese.

Over the course of the programme, his weight dropped to 232lbs / 105kg / 16.5st with roughly an even amount per cycle. He wasn't allowed to exercise to avoid weight loss through sweating. On the high protein diet, his appetite was satiated for longer and the majority of the mass lost was body fat. On the high carbohydrates diet, the mass lost was 50/50 between body fat and muscle tissue. On the high fat diet, body fat was reduced but also an excessive amount of water with the predictable side effect of high cholesterol.
It's a good thing that guy wasn't lactose intolerant, holy cow.

Screenshot-20240202-123735-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Gov. Ron DeSantis said at a press conference Friday that he opposes the promulgation of lab-grown meat in Florida.

Discussing his opposition to implanting an environmental agenda on farmers, the governor noted that lawmakers are working through legislation to ban lab-grown meat production.

“You need meat. OK?” the governor said. “We’re gonna have meat in Florida.”

“We’re gonna have fake meat? That doesn’t work,” he said. “We’re gonna make sure to do it right.”

Rep. Tyler Sirois, R-Merritt Island, is the sponsor for HB 435. The legislation has so far passed one subcommittee in the House and has two more to go.

Sen. Clay Yarborough, R-Jacksonville, is the sponsor for SB 586. That bill has not been taken up by any of its committee assignments yet.

A bill by Sen. Jay Collins, R-Tampa, SB 1084, also would crack down on lab-grown meat, with other provisions included. It has passed one of its three committee assignments so far.

Rep. Danny Alvarez, R-Riverview, is the sponsor for the companion bill, HB 1071. That bill has passed one of its three committees.

4bfa36ba-647b-48f2-9e0d-40a7839a180c-XXX_005XGR_mainbar_Desantis_Crist_election_result_.jpg

Imagine being a conservative in Florida like @wfooshee and this is the bitch that represents you.

Screenshot-20240202-123735-Samsung-Internet.jpg

4bfa36ba-647b-48f2-9e0d-40a7839a180c-XXX_005XGR_mainbar_Desantis_Crist_election_result_.jpg

Hardee County is one of the least-populated places in the state and it's all agriculture there. Citrus and beef and maybe a few vegetables. Still, it's not as if meatless options are taking away market share; rather, it's increasing the umbrella's radius. But hey, he's talking to cattle, too. Never mind the free market...

Imagine being a conservative in Florida like @redacted and this is the bitch that represents you.
Please don't publicly antagonize other members who aren't actively part of this thread's discussion. It's bad form.

Last edited:
Hardee County is one of the least-populated places in the state and it's all agriculture there. Citrus and beef and maybe a few vegetables. Still, it's not as if meatless options are taking away market share; rather, it's increasing the umbrella's radius. But hey, he's talking to cattle, too. Never mind the free market...
Definitely pandering to a certain type there.

What was bizarre to me was the walking right up to the edge of calling cultured meat "woke" without taking that last step. Cultured meat is pure capitalism--if even the sort of cynical capitalism that I tend to dislike, though not such that I want the state to intervene--finding a target consumer and tailoring a product specifically to them.

And free markets aren't really the focus of modern conservatism. They do tend to be the "[arbitrary] family values" and "[arbitrary] cultural heritage" type, but they're definitely steering toward postliberalism when it comes to economic governance.

Please don't publicly antagonize other members who aren't actively part of this thread's discussion. It's bad form.
Understood. I apologize.

Made Impossible Sloppy Joes and this is the best use I've found so far. You can kind of tell something's a little off but there's so much going on in terms of flavor that it's really hard to tell it's not meat.

Latest Posts

Back