Ford Mustang Mach-E

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 286 comments
upload_2019-11-17_21-38-12-png.866413
While I don't find it particularly attractive, it's not hideous either. This angle and color, however, certainly aren't doing it any favors.

A lot of people have been waiting for a good looking, fast, decent range, high tech, affordable EV for a while now. Add the pony to the front and a lot of people who wouldn’t consider a Hyundai or Nissan EV will take it for a test drive.

This might be the car which manages to transform the average “enthusiasts” opinion on electric cars.

I reckon this is what Ford was going for by using the Mustang name. Even though most people associate the Mustang brand with a sports car featuring a muscular stance, ideally equipped with a V8, it has also been a brand representing affordable, accessible, high-performance motoring you can use on a daily basis.

What I see is the Mach-E attempting to make electric vehicles more appealing for an a wider range of consumers the same way the original Mustang did for Muscle cars. The problem is that it is doing so in the form factor of a crossover rather than a sports coupe, but unfortunately people are not buying the latter category in significant numbers anymore to make Ford's first bespoke EV worthwhile.

Part of me thinks this could/should lead to a spin off Mustang brand similar to what was done with Genesis. From that lens, having a crossover vehicle in the portfolio doesn't seem so heretical. But I will only allow this if they give us a new Mustang Maverick too. A 2/3 size Mustang without so much tire and engine and weight. I wouldn't mind a new Pinto either. That one should probably be electric though. And maybe a Ranchero. :drool:

The front grill looks like a baboon's arse.

I wish electric car exterior stylists would sit down with the board and explain to them that why we no longer need radiator grills.
It’s in this case used to call back to the mustang grille, but as a graphic. You maintain that graphic of a grille so the vehicle has a face. Remove it, and things get weird...

I think it looks better when the "pseudo-grille" is painted a different color than the rest of the body, like on the performance variant.

I reckon this is what Ford was going for by using the Mustang name. Even though most people associate the Mustang brand with a sports car featuring a muscular stance, ideally equipped with a V8, it has also been a brand representing affordable, accessible, high-performance motoring you can use on a daily basis.

What I see is the Mach-E attempting to make electric vehicles more appealing for an a wider range of consumers the same way the original Mustang did for Muscle cars. The problem is that it is doing so in the form factor of a crossover rather than a sports coupe, but unfortunately people are not buying the latter category in significant numbers anymore to make Ford's first bespoke EV worthwhile.
This why I said it's 1964 1/2 again. The Mustang was built to be the secretary's car. Even with Idris Elba behind the wheel, CUVs are still more of a feminine vehicle. I feel it will be a sales success. Just hope all the recharging and quality control keep owners happy.

Looks like a Tesla coated in Mustang design cues. You could replace the interior badging with Tesla and I'd be fully convinced it's Elon's newest creation with his traditional, giant ipad-screen in the console.

Pretty much this.

In the reveal they even said Mustang means "fast, fun, freedom" and "It makes you feel young. It makes you feel alive". It's just the idea of "fun" which the Mach E could totally be. Future Mustang models can easily fit those three criteria.

(Timestamped to 16:08)

The interior is just utterly disappointing. I’m yet to find anyone that likes it. It’s a Tesla Model X with a ford badge slapped on, then the balls to call it a mustang. At least make it somewhat driver focused.

If it wasn't for the Mustang name and styling cues, then it would just get lumped in with the rest of the generic electric SUVs. Interior looks really Tesla-esque with the central tablet.

If an electric powertrain was put into the standard Mustang lineup, then it would probably be received more positively. Nowadays there's so many boring SUVs out there that the Mach-E gets an indifferent shrug from me.

You know the world has gone to **** when the Mustang name is used on an electric crossover...

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no problem with electric cars, i have no problems with the thought of electric mustangs, i have no problems with suv's, i have no problems with electric suv's.... i have a problem with an electric suv called a mustang.....what????

It sounds like Ford is pulling what Dodge did with the Ram in making it a brand. The same was done for a while with SRT. With that said, I think it's dumb.

Last edited:
Is it even fast?
Ford hasn't published top speeds, but few electric cars are fast. They can be quick though, and Ford has published power, torque, and 0-60mph times for it (which are in the article) and they're quick enough.

If it's a real Mustang, it'll probably hit a tree outside of a car meet pretty hard.

I don't know how I feel about this. Though I like the look of the Mach-E GT.

They should have just call it Ford Mach-E instead of labelling it as a Mustang.

I saw this over on twitter where people are shamelessly defending the chosen name, saying things like "Okay Boomer" or "If Ford says its a Mustang, its a Mustang" in response to the outrage. So I just had to come over here to see what actual enthusiasts think of it, and I can say that you didn't let me down. This entire issue could have been avoided if they just didn't drag the Mustang name into this. Virtually nobody is arguing over any other aspect of it. Just minor nitpicks and criticisms with regards to the front grille design and lack of colour options, coupled with the odd person against EVs in general.

I can't say I've seen anyone who genuinely "hates" the Mach-E (yet), but this controversy is stirring up a lot of resentment. I've never been a big Mustang fan myself, but right now I'm fuming.

I think I now know the name that probably would've suited this CUV the best, Windstar (or maybe even Aerostar).
Hey, at work, we an Aerostar panel van, when I worked for NYNEX back in the day. Same for a friend's brother-in-law. He had a Aerostar panel van for their paint shop. Those things had some punch! :lol:

Not very exciting to look at but I do love the technology and would like to own an electric vehicle at some point in the future.

The last time the Mustang name was used on something unfitting was the Mustang II. Perhaps this should have been the Mustang III?

Back