Formula E -Season 16-17Open Wheel 

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 177 comments
I didn't see the race either but I think Di Grassi came from 19th to finish 2nd
It's actually really amazing what Di Grassi did. He crashed in Qualifying and ended up on the last row. At turn 2 he had half his front wing removed after rear-ending Ma, and had to replace the wing when he was given a black and orange flag. Yet after the pitstops and safety car he was second. Amazing job there.

This is apparently the Marrakech track as sen from Formula E's official website. It's right on the front page if you scroll down some but it's not on the calendar yet or no official announcements have been made about it if I recall correctly.
marrakech.png

This is apparently the Marrakech track as sen from Formula E's official website. It's right on the front page if you scroll down some but it's not on the calendar yet or no official announcements have been made about it if I recall correctly.
View attachment 594739
If that's it, it looks epic! Hope we get some official announcement soon

View attachment 594739
It's the redesigned track that the WTCC used this year as well. When I first saw that Marrakech were changing from the old one, to something with more corners and shorter straights, I was pretty much waiting for FE to announce they were going there. And lo and behold, when the S3 calendar had Marrakech on it, I was 100% not surprised.
Here's the track they used until 2015
511034.jpg

and the redesign in 2016
Marrakech2016_masterplan-1-800x586.png

Turn 7 is the old turn 1 for reference

If they're using the same layout as the touring cars it will be really interesting to get a direct comparison on pace, in theory (based on testing at Donington and an old Autosport article) they should be pretty close.

I thought it was the new WTCC track. I found it rubbish though.
It didn't work for the Tourers because the straights weren't very long and the track was all tight corners, which doesn't suit Touring Car (Or IC engine racing at all really), but it should work quite well for Formula E cars.

It didn't work for the Tourers because the straights weren't very long and the track was all tight corners, which doesn't suit Touring Car (Or IC engine racing at all really), but it should work quite well for Formula E cars.
Very true. Buit the circuit itself doesn't really lend itself to overtaking at all really. Tight corner, tight corner, tight corner and repeat doesn't really work although the FE guys will make it work.

IC engines are better at reaching a top speed, which is why they like racing on tracks with long straights. Electric motors are all about incredible acceleration from a slow speed. The Formula E circuits have all been designed like that. Chicanes breaking up straights are better for them than a really long straight because they are slow and perform much better when allowed to brake and accelerate again. It's all subtle but it works.

Very true. Buit the circuit itself doesn't really lend itself to overtaking at all really. Tight corner, tight corner, tight corner and repeat doesn't really work although the FE guys will make it work.
There will be overtaking in FE... Di Grassi is racing.

Has anyone here been to a race live?

I'd love to know how the sounds (or lack of) change the experience.
Having just been to the Blancpain at Barcelona, the sound is everything really. Those things scream.

Has anyone here been to a race live?

I'd love to know how the sounds (or lack of) change the experience.
Having just been to the Blancpain at Barcelona, the sound is everything really. Those things scream.
Both London ePrix.

They are louder than you'd expect. Large motors chucking out 150kW of energy aren't silent. You can just about have a conversation while they're going past, but only just. What is nice is that you are able to hear sounds usually drowned out by engine noises. You can hear them locking up and wheelspin, and all the bodywork flexing as they hit the bumps. On faster corners, the scraping noises of the cars as they slide over kerbs are also audible too.

Plus, because the cars go silent when they crash, you can hear the drivers. When Daniel Abt crashed in 205 at London, the TV camera above could hear him swearing, so they had to change angles quickly.

Both London ePrix.

They are louder than you'd expect. Large motors chucking out 150kW of energy aren't silent. You can just about have a conversation while they're going past, but only just. What is nice is that you are able to hear sounds usually drowned out by engine noises. You can hear them locking up and wheelspin, and all the bodywork flexing as they hit the bumps. On faster corners, the scraping noises of the cars as they slide over kerbs are also audible too.

Plus, because the cars go silent when they crash, you can hear the drivers. When Daniel Abt crashed in 205 at London, the TV camera above could hear him swearing, so they had to change angles quickly.

So it doesn't detract from the experience? I like the idea of those extra sounds being audible for a change, but the TV coverage doesn't really convey that too well... (generally speaking though, the coverage is great)

I just realized that Buenos Aires is the only track that has appeared in all 3 seasons and for good reasons, it produces good races. Albeit I do think Malaysia and Punta Del Este should've been retained.

Again I don't understand why they won't just run the pre-existing course in Montreal... but at least whoever designed this one had a clue of where the finish line needs to be. Its positioning in some earlier tracks, like London, has often left me absolutely dumbfounded.

Again I don't understand why they won't just run the pre-existing course in Montreal... but at least whoever designed this one had a clue of where the finish line needs to be. Its positioning in some earlier tracks, like London, has often left me absolutely dumbfounded.
The finish line has to between the pitlane entry and exit. With a lot of these circuits like Paris you cannot fit a startline there.

I also thought they were going to use the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve but i'm presuming they didn't because of the long lap compared to the other circuits on the calendar.

Back