Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 17,315 comments
I love this! Although I do agree that I'd like to see the clothing stuff removed from the Wheelspins, or at least the sheer amount of clothes in the Wheelspins system reduced a bit. It was very frustrating to earn a super spin only to win a hat, some shoes, and a t-shirt.

Yeah, that and the duplicate cars meant that wheelspins became kind of joyless in FH4.

Also, back in 2019, Ken Block (when he was still with Ford) did a Gymkhana 10 Extended Cut montage in Guanajuato!

I'm feelin' all sort of classic games vibes from this footage. DiRT 3, FH2 Tenuto Montellino, Viva Piñata... :lol:

Last edited:
To change the subject, let me introduce you to the car that displaced the fabled VW Beetle (Vocho) as the top seller in Mexico. I hope PG includes it as an awesome barn/garage find. It's a rolling death trap known as Tsuru in Mexico and as the Sentra (B13 gen) elsewhere, sold from 1997 until 2017 (!) after four full generations (B14 to B17) were sold side to side (!!!)

View attachment 1017600

If that's the case, I'm totally doing that livery! :scared::D

Ah, and a totally awesome SE-R version (1993) existed, I hope we get that too!

And the car in the background is another Mexican fave, the Opel Corsa B, known here as Chevy, sold from 1994 to 2009 (!). Again, another cheapo car built and sold for too long with just bare safety features!

I think there is a reasonable chance that this car will be added in FH5.

This is because this car was one of the candidates for the Forzalopnik DLC in FM3. (But it was the Sentra SE-R, not the Tsuru.)
Needless to say, they tend to add the cars that lose the vote for this DLC in FM4 and later Forza.
So whether it gets added as a Tsuru or not, there's a chance that the Nissan B13 will make it into the game as one of the iconic Mexican car culture.

Last edited:
Houses... VIP includes a free house, then I read the description of the "Welcome Pack", which also mentions a free house. Does this mean owners of the Premium version will get two houses, or are they (dang pronouns) referencing the same house?

Houses... VIP includes a free house, then I read the description of the "Welcome Pack", which also mentions a free house. Does this mean owners of the Premium version will get two houses, or are they (dang pronouns) referencing the same house?

Wouldn't be surprised if its the same house in both packs, to be honest.

I'll be honest, that's disappointing that it appears to be a fictional track. You may be thinking "It's better than nothing and at least you kind of got what you've been asking for." And to that I say: Yes, it is better than nothing and I did kind of get what I've been after, but only kind of.

Perhaps there's some licensing drawback I'm not accounting for, but why does it appear there's so much difficult in cross-licensing a track that would otherwise appear only in Motorsport? The Crew does it. Granted, the tracks are hilariously inaccurate and wide (Laguna Seca, I'm specifically thinking of you) and it adds to the authenticity of the game. Horizon, a game that celebrates car culture in almost every meaningful way still neglects this...for some reason.

This kind of reminds me of the F1 games by Codemasters. An officially licensed title that does not use F1's own graphic overlays, instead opting for custom HUDs and the like. It's taken me out of the game every year since 2010 and it hasn't let up yet. Just...how? How does it not have the official overlays? IT'S AN OFFICIALLY LICENSED GAME!

Sorry, got off-topic there. That really, really bugs me. I know they're different but I'll take any opportunity presented to express what a weird decision that is. Like, what are you paying for? You have the cars, the drivers — you know what? I'm done. :lol:

Back to Horizon. I don't understand the height of this hurdle. It isn't like it would encroach on Motorsport either as the two have always had their specific focuses. One could argue Horizon was originally created to break away from the track and that's 100% true, but we're talking about leveraging a real-world circuit in an open-world racer and then using it for track days. The possibilities write themselves, don't they?

Perhaps there's some licensing drawback I'm not accounting for, but why does it appear there's so much difficult in cross-licensing a track that would otherwise appear only in Motorsport? The Crew does it. Granted, the tracks are hilariously inaccurate and wide (Laguna Seca, I'm specifically thinking of you) and it adds to the authenticity of the game. Horizon, a game that celebrates car culture in almost every meaningful way still neglects this...for some reason.

I mean...that's really the ultimate reason. There's no point in trying to replicate something that ultimately people are going to lambast for not being 'accurate', especially considering there's a fair few people on the internet who already have a bone to pick with Horizon because it isn't the hyper realistic cruising sim they wanted from years of being poisoned by sim racing games. Better to make a fictional track that fits better for a arcade palette for all then try to placate a few who will never truly be satisfied anyway.

I'll be honest, that's disappointing that it appears to be a fictional track. You may be thinking "It's better than nothing and at least you kind of got what you've been asking for." And to that I say: Yes, it is better than nothing and I did kind of get what I've been after, but only kind of.
Out of curiosity, what were you expecting for a race track? Was there a specific Mexican race track you like or what?

I mean...that's really the ultimate reason. There's no point in trying to replicate something that ultimately people are going to lambast for not being 'accurate'

Would that be an issue here though? The greatest thing Horizon would have going for it in this scenario is Turn 10 will have already done the brunt of the work in that regard. The remaining difficulty lies with seating the circuit in the location without it feeling "off" in comparison to everything else. If that were the reason I'd understand.

especially considering there's a fair few people on the internet who already have a bone to pick with Horizon because it isn't the hyper realistic cruising sim they wanted from years of being poisoned by sim racing games.

But...but Horizon was never supposed to be hyper realistic. I know some of the people you're referring and just...no. :lol:

Better to make a fictional track that fits better for a arcade palette for all then try to placate a few who will never truly be satisfied anyway.

I can see this being an understandable reason as well. I started this above, but it may be better to go with something they know fits with the vision of the game, as opposed to building around this one, obtuse landmark.

I still want it though. :lol: It's not even a dealbreaker in any way, shape, or form. It is something that would add something to the game for me though. You're on a cruise in the middle of the night, not knowing what to do and you pass by the local circuit and decide to get some laps in before going home. Like I said, it writes itself.

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting for a race track? Was there a specific Mexican race track you like or what?

If I were being biased? Hermanos Rodriguez or Monterrey. If not, literally any circuit in Mexico, but it'd have to be something featured in Motorsport as well. Otherwise, that's a circuit purposely developed for a single game that you're unlikely to see in any future installment.

This kind of reminds me of the F1 games by Codemasters. An officially licensed title that does not use F1's own graphic overlays, instead opting for custom HUDs and the like. It's taken me out of the game every year since 2010 and it hasn't let up yet. Just...how? How does it not have the official overlays? IT'S AN OFFICIALLY LICENSED GAME!
I don't know about overlays but being set in Mexico we might get ¡ándale, ándale!.

I'm guessing the licensing costs for real life autódromos might push PG out of budget for this game. I'm sure the music is expensive enough. Plus they'd have to obtain all the laser elevations and stuff. A time constraint, if not a financial one.

Last edited:
Track-wise, how about recreating the Fundidora Park track (used by CART in the early 2000s) that no longer exists? Would there really be licensing issues for what was a temporary layout in a park built around an old steel mill?

Track-wise, how about recreating the Fundidora Park track (used by CART in the early 2000s) that no longer exists? Would there really be licensing issues for what was a temporary layout in a park built around an old steel mill?
I’m betting it would be little difference compared to how we have car brands in these games that don’t exist anymore. That’s just a guess though.

I’m betting it would be little difference compared to how we have car brands in these games that don’t exist anymore. That’s just a guess though.
My thought here is that it was a temporary layout, and perhaps thereby no "track" to license - unlike defunct companies that actually existed at one time.

Last edited:
I feel like a real world circuit may sort of be a bit tricky when it comes to scale and keeping the tracks true size without taking up too much of the map. For example, if FH3 had Bathurst as a part of the map, it’d take up a quarter of the map. One track that could possibly work is Puebla, since it’s many layouts are within a 1.2 mile oval, meaning the total area that the track would take up on the map wouldn’t be as large, and there’d still be many layouts to choose from.

Forget everything else, at 2:53 we see a McLaren putting the top down with animations to go with[...]

YES!

I hope that also means they will have an excuse to include more convertibles in-game. Sure, I enjoyed my Gallardo convertible from the Car Pass, the 356, the barn find Triumph, but i have this Hot Wheels Audi R8 convertible staring right at my face in front of my monitor here...

índice2.jpg

...not to mention all the convertibles/targas that are only drivable with the roof up/on. Which only really have the advantage of being drivable in the rain and winter without it being weird.

00.jpg

10.jpg

I'm seeing self reflections on cars that clearly aren't in Forzavista scenarios:
unknown.png

FH4 never had this despite it having screen space reflections - this must mean that either photo mode also receives ray tracing, or they've finally applied SSR to the cars this time around. Both of those are a bit gain for visual fidelity.

Those definitely are not ScreenSpace Reflections. They might have just enabled RT reflections for the sake of the Trailer. Or the PC version will have the option to enable it during gameplay. The face of the Wing mirror is not visible to the camera yet you can see it in the reflection, That is not possible with SSR.

EDIT: Just rewatched the Gameplay Demo video and those self reflections are not present during the active gameplay.

Shame. I was looking forward to playing it with ray-tracing in 480p 20fps on my GTX1060. Man, this thing has ray-tracing support but no games that run WITH ray-tracing on it. If only there was a PS3-like game (on the graphics department), or simple indie game, but with ray-tracing, that's where this thing would shine.

I wonder if I would get ray-tracing on photo mode/Forzavista atleast on this. Or if on PC it is going to be exclusive to RTXs and the like.

There are few things in FH4 that i would really love to be expanded on FH5.
  1. Adjustable track length in tune settings, rather than in the upgrade menu.
  2. Let players fit a wider variety of small-sized rims in cars with large-sized rims like you could do with most SUVs and some pick-up trucks (Chevy Colorado, MB X-Class). If Horizon devs allow us fitting 19-inch rims in a classic american muscle cars, why can't we slap 14/15-inch rims in modern sports cars?
  3. On the subject of rims, let players be able to choose different rim models for each individual car's axle. You can do this when choosing rim size, why not for rim models?
  4. Give tuners the option to lock/unlock their own tune/upgrades settings when sharing to the public.
  5. Let players choose whenever they want or not their custom front bumper/rear spoiler/wing to have adjustable aero. Also make the modern wings fit correctly into a modern car's styling.
  6. More widebody/fender flare options.

1. Nice idea.
  2. Nice for that off-road look/style, but depending on the car there would be the matter of the brakes. In my ideal game you would have to get modded brakes to fit smaller rims, and the size of the modded brakes (which, for sports or race brakes, already is determined by wheel size) would determine it's strength.
  3. Loved that in NFS: Pro Street. Especially cool for drag cars. Giving only the driven wheel some beefy-looking wheels, but leave the other normal, or putting some tuner-style ones.
  4. Really think that should be an option.
  5. The wings not fitting the car's styling is a problem. I think both the 360 and One era's generic spoiler of Forza games are a bit boring maybe. If there were different styles to choose from like in Gran Turismo games, it would be nice. Heck, imagine adjusting the height and width like in GT6 after that update.

20210614_141350.jpg

This could be interesting. :P

YEESS! A bit late (wish we could have modded Forza 7. If car mods were possible, we would have had Toyotas there too), but better late than never.

Just watched AR12's newest video in search of some new info, and while he's not my favorite YouTuber, he usually has some insider information that can be useful. He claims he's asked the developers some questions, and here's what he says that's new info:

[...]
4. Raising/lowering windows and turn signals are unconfirmed as of yet
[...]
7. Brake calipers are paintable, also confirmed by PG today in their livestream.
8. He mentions that FH5 could borrow some features from the upcoming Forza Motosport reboot (he uses performance exhausts changing engine sound as an example).
9. Character clothing is now purchasable with credits (I don't know if this has already been confirmed or not, I feel like it has been mentioned already).
[...]

4. So, might still be catching up to TDU2...
7. ...but catching NFS Underground.
8. Oh, like Gran Turismo had on the PS1? (The sounds themselves might not have been the best, but the feature was there)
9. THANK GOD. Something is wrong in your game if I'm getting just as excited at winning a plain black shirt or a black Converse with black shoelaces as I am with winning a McLaren GT longtail (Still waiting for a plain black hoodie though. Also, I wonder how heavy it would be to have some customization of clothes. Like in GT Sport, or even just custom colors, that would already be something)

Hopefully one of them is tire lettering with real brands on all cars.
One thing I liked in Midnight Club 3 was the different options of tire sidewalls they offered (white letter, whitewall, red stripe, etc.) and I think they should really offer it here. I also think it would be easiest if they just had a sidewall letter editor so they didn't have to deal with licensing, while at the same time people can either make real tire sidewalls or make their own (like you can do with tire letter kits).

I'm a little surprised to see this game being released before the next Forza Motorsport series. I just hope I can purchase a Xbox Series X console before the game is released.

I would of loved to see the new Land Rover Defender added to Horizon 4 it would of suited the British setting more?
I feel it's more suited for Mexico because of the exploration. Don't get me wrong, the Defender would also suit Horizon UK as well. But because FH5 is a new game and Mexico has more explorable areas for adventurous trips, I imagine that was the choice PG made during the development. :)

Now the dust has settled a bit after the announcement, I think this game will impress. Of course still early days, but I'm really looking forward to it.

- I did a bit of Horizon 3 yesterday, after a long time, to explore that map and what struck me most was how varied it is. I think this and the foreignness of Australia make the map of Horizon 3 so good. I think Mexico will be able to match this so in that regard I am really excited. Don't get me wrong, I really like Horizon 4's map but it's really familiar as the U.K. is not that different from Western Europe where I'm living. There is also a difference between driving through farmland or a desert of outback.
- I am really happy that they captured the skies in 12K like in Horizon 3, since skies are often like half of your screen it's important to get this right.
- A 50% larger map will do nicely, but I'm more interested in how big it feels and how the variety will be implemented.
- In terms of cars, we haven't seen a lot yet but they have said they will include more than 500 cars and respect Mexican car culture. Of course, Mexico doesn't have a lot of own manufacturers (except for things like Mastretta and Vuhl) so I'm interested in seeing how they are going to do this.
- Opening/closing the roofs of convertibles is a feature that is long overdue and I'm really happy that they are finally including this.
- Very very premature: but how about a Cuba expansion with old 1950s American cars in Havana?

I would of loved to see the new Land Rover Defender added to Horizon 4 it would of suited the British setting more?

Never say never, they added the McLaren Senna in Forza Motorsport 7 and they haven't yet finished updating Horizon 4.

Shame. I was looking forward to playing it with ray-tracing in 480p 20fps on my GTX1060. Man, this thing has ray-tracing support but no games that run WITH ray-tracing on it. If only there was a PS3-like game (on the graphics department), or simple indie game, but with ray-tracing, that's where this thing would shine.

I wonder if I would get ray-tracing on photo mode/Forzavista atleast on this. Or if on PC it is going to be exclusive to RTXs and the like.
Even Though NVidia allows you to enable Ray Tracing with the GTX 10 series they don't have the dedicated RT cores of the RTX cards. So even if an RTX 2060 is only 10-20% better then a 1060 in rasterized performance the RTX card will still have several times the performance over a GTX card in Ray Tracing applications.
That said, I'm sure the PC version of the game will have the option to enable Ray Tracing during gameplay, They where just using the Series X settings as the platform for the demo.

Doubt FH5 would use the new Motorsport tire model, FH5 is a cross gen title and they would want the Physics modeling to be identical across XboxOne and Series Consoles for Multiplayer and Leaderboards. Though it is exciting to hear there is more Tire related things coming to the game. Hopefully a wider variety of Tire compounds for greater granularity in performance tuning and more Cosmetic options like Branding and whitewalls. Ideally a system that let you customize the appearance of the sidewall separate from the Compound, so you can mix any compound with any available branding or whitewall aesthetic.

Back