Forza Horizon 5 Rally Adventure Expansion

I've been pacing myself with the new content. Started with the Road Rally (since I like asphalt driving most) and defeated Ale, now working on the Dirt Rally stuff. Saving the "Crazy Rally" stuff for last.
Since I heard Rami's Reapers like kansei dorifto which I kind of despise I'm gonna get that outta the way once I'm done with Alejandra since dirt racing is the highlight of the game for me (despite the bulk of my experience of Scandinavian flicks being with the kind you have to smuggle back from the video store in brown paper bags) and I want to leave it until the end. I would've done the Grits first had I known.

I didn't drive all over the map yet since I figure the events will take care of most of that for me so the locations of the smash boards are largely a mystery to me. Leaving those 'til last too.

Last edited:
I didn't drive all over the map yet since I figure the events will take care of most of that for me so the locations of the smash boards are largely a mystery to me. Leaving those 'til last too.
There's some fun stuff to discover once you do start exploring. (Note the Horizon H in the middle of the male figure in the background.)
FH5_rally_adventure.jpg

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, it was here where I put the red circle:
undefined
Thanks i will check later

----------------------------------
Also not surprisingly, a famous youtuber seems that had not my text about modern Forza/Racing Game community
He called the Rally Adventure "Borebones, Uninspirated" and constantly compared the DLC WITH A RPG GAME AND A SIMULATOR GAME, the worst parts of his critique was the stupid non-stop complaning about the mini-map, the fact he ignored all the map changes and again for some reason thinks it was not fault of Stelantis but Playground for not having Lancia in the game

I know we need keep PG in check and they need to improve in various aspects of FH5 but this trashing to the game is getting more and more pathetic

Thanks i will check later

----------------------------------
Also not surprisingly, a famous youtuber seems that had not my text about modern Forza/Racing Game community
He called the Rally Adventure "Borebones, Uninspirated" and constantly compared the DLC WITH A RPG GAME AND A SIMULATOR GAME, the worst parts of his critique was the stupid non-stop complaning about the mini-map, the fact he ignored all the map changes and again for some reason thinks it was not fault of Stelantis but Playground for not having Lancia in the game

I know we need keep PG in check and they need to improve in various aspects of FH5 but this trashing to the game is getting more and more pathetic
I know the YouTuber you're talking about. I've been a longtime subscriber to them and usually they have some pretty thoughtful and intuitive takes, but their video on Rally Adventure seemed very biased and not well thought out. They seemed to be ignoring all of the genuinely good parts about the expansion and instead comparing it to dedicated rally simulators, which is not what Horizon has ever been and never will be. Now comparing it to an open-world RPG? Just weird all around.

Last edited:
I know the YouTuber you're talking about. I've been a longtime subscriber to them and usually they have some pretty thoughtful and intuitive takes, but their video on Rally Adventure seemed very biased and not well thought out. They seemed to be ignoring all of the genuinely good parts about the expansion and instead comparing it to dedicated rally simulators, which is not what Horizon has ever been and never will be. Now comparing it to an open-world RPG? Just weird all around.
I skipped through and stopped at him saying that the roads are uninteresting, not challenging and way too wide and easy to drive.

Compared to a decent rally sim FH5 is indeed easy and the roads are wide. But the comparison itself is just dumb, it shows a complete lack of awareness of the FH5 player base.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this expansion is “The FH5 experience with slightly more rally, but still able to be run with any of the ~700 cars in the game”. Plus all routes in the expansion must be playable in group races for both career mode and online racing.

Unlike rally sims which focus on a very small set of rally cars and only do staggered starts.

So yeah, anyone reviewing the rally expansion against rally sims is just completely out of touch.

The FH5 experience with slightly more rally, but still able to be run with any of the ~700 cars in the game
Jack of all trades and master of none. Best Horizon DLC experience always was at extremes - Hot Wheels(1) for B to X and Blizzard Mountain for D to S1.

This is the video, feel free to copy/paste your rebuttals in the comments:

I can see where he's coming from. The rally theme is somewhat held back by Horizon's overall structure, the need to "dumb things down" and the desire to make each road accommodate multi-car racing as well as traditional stage rally. I also agree that the minimap should have had an optional assist filter like the racing line does, so that players would be more inclined to use the pace notes.

I disagree on the road count value proposition however. The expansion has 32 roads, but the majority of them are much longer than equivalent roads on the mainland. In terms of map area, I believe Sierra Nueva is about 20-25% the size of the main map, which is similar to Hot Wheels.

Even with its flaws, I would say the "rally experience" is better here than it is in DIRT 5.

Last edited:
Jack of all trades and master of none.
But you quoted him saying something about using any car anywhere. And you are obviously missing the main reason why. It's because we can swap tires, suspensions, engines and even drivetrain to suit different disciplines. That is surely master of something? Or is there any other game out there that let you do the same or better? Because I truly don't know of any.
Best Horizon DLC experience always was at extremes - Hot Wheels(1) for B to X and Blizzard Mountain for D to S1.
I... I'm trying really hard not to sound stupid... but I just don't understand. Is it not marked the same (or even better) here?

Jack of all trades and master of none. Best Horizon DLC experience always was at extremes - Hot Wheels(1) for B to X and Blizzard Mountain for D to S1.
You can think whatever you want but to say FH3's Hot Wheels expansion was better or even more ambitious than FH5's is objectively just not correct.

Let's start with the maps: 3's map had more "biomes", but look at them, all of it was essentially one giant beach with a few setpieces to set them apart. There were 0 offroad "hazard" races like in 5 so all of the off track area went unused for the most part. How about the plethora of boosters placed at inopportune and awkward places such as right before a corner? They massively toned that down in 5 and it isn't an issue anymore. To add to that, you're now able to brake over a boost pad and it will cancel it out. 5 also added magnetic tracks, water flumes, ice tracks, and rumble tracks, so 5 absolutely wins in map and track variety.

Now the races. 3 had you similarly start in B class, but wasn't as restrictive. However, soon enough you'd realize that a lot of the races are simply tracks you've already done but in reverse. Far less variety. The stunt swap feature? Arguably, this previewed the route creator in FH4, but it was extremely limited since you could only swap one or two pieces per race. 5 lets you build your own Hot Wheels tracks completely from scratch on any of the 3 maps, enough said.

Lastly, cars. Probably the most subjective bit, but I think 5's selection of cars wins. It was a huge missed opportunity not having the Deora II back in 3's expansion, it being one of, if not the single most, iconic Hot Wheels car of all time next to Twin Mill, and at least for me, that's enough to solidify 5's car list being better.

End of discussion: I'm so annoyed at Horizon fans clinging to things in the past being "better", despite said things being far less developed and executed less efficiently. I see this happen a lot and almost every time without fail it boils down to nostalgia. There's nothing wrong with that, but with the degree the community takes it, there's a massive contradiction between people saying "the old games were so much better, Playground should go back to their roots" and "this series is bland and never innovates, they need to do something new". I feel for PG and T10 because oftentimes there is simply no winning outcome.

You can think whatever you want but to say FH3's Hot Wheels expansion was better or even more ambitious than FH5's is objectively just not correct.
For some reason HW2 feels like rollercoaster sim, not racing. And off-road courses just not work. Scenery, content and world editor is waaay cooler in HW2, no doubts.
the old games were so much better, Playground should go back to their roots
I am not saying that. My biggest concern is that PG scraping features from older games and trying balancing Horizon 5 for every car in game. And result is mediocre. I prefer more direction in DLC.

Which rally expansion do you prefer?: Forza Horizon 1 Horizon Rally Expansion or Forza Horizon 5 Rally Adventure Expansion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the FH1 DLC just added events rather than a additional map? They weren't at the main map, but I dont think you could freeroam there...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the FH1 DLC just added events rather than a additional map? They weren't at the main map, but I dont think you could freeroam there...
Yep, the original rally expansion consists of 7 events containing multi-stage rallies. The stages were roads from the Colorado map overlaid with dirt and bumps.

FH5 >>>>> FH1
You gotta love the nostalgia baiters in that video. They actually think FH1's rally expansion is better than FH5's own. Yeah, a literal recreation of Colorado that you can't even freeroam on is so much better.... Oh, did I mention you can't tune your cars in that game btw? How desperate do you have to be to keep hating on FH5?

Last edited:
I wonder whether it would've been more realistic if Piers and John were using a track which had been customised to remove the non-split checkpoint flags and if he bellowed the pace notes at the top of his voice in a Mexican accent... OK, maybe not that last one.

It cerainly seemed to help their time and looks like insane fun to do. I notice that John's announcements seemed to me to be slightly earlier than the Forza announcer's giving Piers more time to react and prepare.

Last edited:
^^^
That JD guy's voice really grates on me, esp as he's usually whining about every game not being a sim.
(Yeah let's turn FM into a sim, so the sim crowd can turn their noses up at it after a week when one car doesn't feel right.)
And while some of his points about the rally DLC might be valid, FH5 has been a game changer for the genre with the improved create and share your own events, you have to give the team that at least.

Last edited:
It's okay, DiRT Rally 2.0 exists 🤍
For me DiRT Rally is when you want to break out the wheel and be serious, while DiRT series was for shorter more relaxed fun. Very similar to FM versus FH I guess.

So while DR2.0 has its place, a decent DiRT 5 would have also had a spot for me.

Latest Posts

Back