Forza Horizon 5 Rally Adventure Expansion

Most infuriating thing is that they have tech and opportunities to do it right. Even this map could be great if they put some effort and seasonal changes into it.
As others have pointed out, seasonal changes exist. I saw it turn from Spring to Summer this morning before I had to go to work. And seriously, don't suggest the devs are lazy just because you don't like the expansion. It's fine if you don't like it. Everyone has different tastes, and clearly, this doesn't appeal to you. But that's not the same thing as the devs not putting some effort into it. They clearly have. They just didn't make one that appeals to you.

As others have pointed out, seasonal changes exist. I saw it turn from Spring to Summer this morning before I had to go to work. And seriously, don't suggest the devs are lazy just because you don't like the expansion. It's fine if you don't like it. Everyone has different tastes, and clearly, this doesn't appeal to you. But that's not the same thing as the devs not putting some effort into it. They clearly have. They just didn't make one that appeals to you.
Very good point. There's clearly effort put into the map just from the screenshots I've seen. I haven't played it yet for myself, but the fact that there is deformable terrain is proof enough that effort and time was put into this expansion.

There are seasonal changes. The announcement made by Playground themselves stated that the biomes will change with the seasons and have weather just like on the main map. It's an odd thing to say that when it hasn't even been playable long enough to have a season change.
I already checked it via blueprint editor and changes almost nonexistent, same level as main map. Forzatech support dynamic weather by region, it already have working snowy weather. Sure, we don't get any of it.
And seriously, don't suggest the devs are lazy just because you don't like the expansion. It's fine if you don't like it. Everyone has different tastes, and clearly, this doesn't appeal to you. But that's not the same thing as the devs not putting some effort into it. They clearly have. They just didn't make one that appeals to you.
First of all, "new" map almost completely consists of old assets. It lack any interesting places and composition. Some places indistinguishable from main map. It doesn't use Forzatech to its full potential.

There is high standard for Horizon expansion. Every expansion was unique experience - in gameplay, scenery, progression, car list. Even second Hot Wheels expansion has some cool ideas.
I don't know what "high standard" you expect from a Horizon expansion. But for me, this expansion has to be the most fun I had in a while because of its roads. But if you want my opinion, here's this: Gameplay? Well it's the same as the base game, I never expect anything beyond that. Scenery? Sierra Nuvera is freakin' beautiful. Twists and tights turns all over the place which adds to the experience. Progression? Well you progress through the career mode of any class, which I like. FREEDOM. Cars? Fits the theme.

I honestly believe the Rally Expansion completely beats out the previous expansions I played. Never gotten to try out FH1's expansion, but people did say it was a reskin of its current map. And therefore the Rally Expansion beats that too. It would also beat out FH3's Blizzard Mountain if the map gets covered in snow, although that is most likely not going to happen because it's located in Mexico.
For whatever reason people like you lowering the bar for Horizon.
Lowering the bar in what way? Because we're not like those people who are stuck in the past and circle jerking PG to make the current games a carbon-copy of the previous games just because they did some things better? If anything, those people are the ones lowering Horizon by the day, because they can't accept the new games for what they are and move on from the past. WE, support PG for what they 'currently' do and NOT what they 'did' in the past. We're not blinded by nostalgia which is why we're not as critical as those from Reddit, Twitter, Youtube, and any other social platform T10 and PG are on.
Playground just sold me lazy copy/paste mess instead of proper expansion and I am not happy with it.
And yet the older non sponsored expansions somehow get a free pass despite being similar to this one? Okay brother. I mean, you did say "Every expansion was a unique experience", but somehow not including this one even though it has a better map/roads than any of the older maps.
Most infuriating thing is that they have tech and opportunities to do it right. Even this map could be great if they put some effort and seasonal changes into it.
Give Me A Break Judging You GIF by Originals

...But it has seasons in it. I think it's even more greener than it was yesterday.

Last edited:
That doesn't make it enjoyable for people who are new and need or want the minimap, it does the opposite.
The other maps have a minimap, the Rally Adventure DLC should have provided a new experience not more of the same. Having a minimap in a supposedly Rally focused DLC that even renders the pace notes they spent so much time on is completely pointless and redundant.

I would just like to point out that these new roads are totally not suited to A class SUVs like the Bentayga, but it was still a lot of fun manhandling it around.

The ability to take anything you like through each race is such an awesome feature.

Sierra Nuvera is freakin' beautiful.
Its same bioms and assets as in main game. Yeap, Horizon 5 is beautiful game, but I playing it for 1.5 years already.
Because we're not like those people who are stuck in the past and circle jerking PG to make the current games a carbon-copy of the previous games just because they did some things better?
🤣 But you praising carbon copy of Horizon 5. I don't want carbon copy of any previous game, but features that last two games had. Freaking seasons and snow. In rally DLC.
But it has seasons in it. I think it's even more greener than it was yesterday.
Yeah, thats how seasons should work.
Cars? Fits the theme.
What theme? 2/3 of events are made for C,B,A class regular rally cars. And we get one truck and one A rally car suitable for these. Great car list, yeah.
better map/roads than any of the older maps.
Blizzard mountain also has technical routes.

@inCloud We're at the point of a agree to disagree situation, and thus let's leave it at that. Still though, it is not awful. It's just not your cup of tea, yes? If so that's fine, we'll let that slide.

The other maps have a minimap, the Rally Adventure DLC should have provided a new experience not more of the same. Having a minimap in a supposedly Rally focused DLC that even renders the pace notes they spent so much time on is completely pointless and redundant.
Then turn it off in the options. It doesn't make it inclusive for those that want to have it or may need it because they are new, it makes it more restrictive and frustrating and makes them not want to play.

🤣 But you praising carbon copy of Horizon 5. I don't want carbon copy of any previous game, but features that last two games had. Freaking seasons and snow. In rally DLC.
They do have rally races in the snow you know? It's not exactly a foreign concept.

It's an expansion, not a whole new game, it's going to be similar. Also, new games will build on the same features that were in previous games it takes less time from a development standpoint to build on the existing platform, which is what any software company is going to do.

It's no different than COD.

We get it, you don't like it. Agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited:
I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. It's not bad, it just feels like more of the main game but (an hour or so in) without the big set pieces. I don't know about FH2 because I didn't play it, but in 3 and 4 the expansions were pretty major departures from the gameplay style of the main game and it really made them feel fresh and distinct. Some of them I didn't like so much cough*Lego*cough, but they were new and interesting.

With this I was expecting something new that I couldn't find in the main game. So far I haven't found it, and while the Sega Rally style calls are cute they're just off enough to be not that useful. And the helicopter constantly hovering over the road and obscuring the route with a cloud of dust can go fondle a bag of floppy frankfurters.

Maybe Playground are victims of their own success in having historically excellent DLC so expectations were high, but this is probably my least favourite so far. I still wouldn't say it's bad, or even mediocre. It does fine. It looks pretty, it drives nice. But Horizon for me is about those moments where you go "that was ****ing awesome", and I haven't hit one yet.

At the risk of being rude, it feels like the GT7 of DLC. All the ingredients are there to be great, but it's just... okay. I hope it's starting out slow and I come back to this with my mind completely changed in 10 hours or so. But are far as initial impressions go it's not comparing favourably to being dropped from an airplane onto the side of a volcano or zooming upside down through a tropical paradise in Hot Wheels cars. And like it or not, that's the bar Playground set for themselves.

Pretty much the same thoughts here. Not bad by any stretch; I'm enjoying it far more than the Lego expansion at least, but besides the varied surface types it isn't really that distinct. The Rally events don't feel particularly special either, even with the mini map turned off. One thing I will give it however is the map design. As mentioned by others, the smaller, tighter roads make it a blast to use lower class cars, which means some of the lower end rally builds I've done work wonders.

Really enjoying the map and the roads, I'll echo others in that I really enjoy the tighter more technical sections, much more by way of undulation and a level of roughness that makes it a nice departure from the babies bum main map. It's quite nicely detailed as well and I'm enjoying the different events, nice making builds to suit each team.

Would it have been nice to have seen more new rally cars? Yes of course, but we can at least build some and that's always fun, plus the Focus is absolutely awesome and one of my favourite rally cars of all time so I'm happy with that.

In all, not the greatest ever expansion to a Forza game, but far from the worst and it has some of the best route sections of any Forza map.

It doesn't make it inclusive for those that want to have it or may need it because they are new, it makes it more restrictive and frustrating and makes them not want to play.
Stop acting like you know what other gamers want or need and using that as an argument to shoot down other people's ideas.

I am saying what I think would have made this DLC better. Period.

Stop acting like you know what other gamers want or need and using that as an argument to shoot down other people's ideas.

I am saying what I think would have made this DLC better. Period.
I'm not actually, you literally said they could keep things enjoyable for everyone by not neutering other race disciplines and not having an option for a mini map on the Rally Expansion, did you not?

You can keep things enjoyable for everybody without neutering the race disciplines for example on Rally Adventure there should be no minimap not even an option to turn it on

That would make it more frustrating for some people and therefore not keeping it enjoyable for everyone. Having the option to turn the map off for those that don't want it does make it enjoyable for everyone. If you want the map keep it on, if you don't and want to have a more authentic and enjoyable experience for YOU then turn it off. Simple.

I'm not the only one that said that either:

That would make it less accessible and less enjoyable for most inexperienced players, which btw there are a lot of. Either way you can turn the map and hud off, its always an option for more experienced players.

I cannot speak and have not spoken for anyone else as far as what they want or need because everyone is different.

It's funny that you call me out for doing exactly what you did when all I did is post a counterpoint to your argument. I didn't shoot down your idea, I gave you an alternative as did other players.
If you don't like it, then agree to disagree and move on.

That would make it more frustrating for some people and therefore not keeping it enjoyable for everyone.
Having the minimap there makes it more frustrating for some people and therefore not enjoyable for everyone. Heh!

See how easy it is to make these simplistic reductionist arguments? ^

The Rally DLC could have provided a new experience but instead it's more of the same. Wasted opportunity.

Having the minimap there makes it more frustrating for some people and therefore not enjoyable for everyone. Heh!

The Rally DLC could have provided a new experience but instead it's more of the same. Wasted opportunity.
So you have nothing more productive to say or anything that actually adds to the conversation. Got it.

So you have nothing more productive to say or anything that actually adds to the conversation. Got it.
That's an interesting way to avoid discourse. You should look in the mirror and say this to yourself because it's literally what you are doing.

Your simplistic reductionist argument already has a simple solution I.e.

1680286601757.png

The Rally DLC is a new experience, it has time trials w/ split times and rally callouts. Something that isn't in the base game. It also has a different progression system. It is essentially a Forzafied taste of rally, with much narrower and trickier roads than the main map (and arguably the whole horizon franchise). While it does look similar, it is still distinct enough in driving experience.

Last edited:
I will agree with what many others say; the roads are just absolutely excellent and genuinely some of the best roads in horizon history. The rally races are neat. Not the most revolutionary expansion but it isn't bad either. Going into it I had low expectations but the roads have kind of won me over now, they're just so great to drive.

After a good bit of time spent on the new DLC I really like it.

The map itself is great. Nice and tight for the races with great undulations but open enough for hooning across for giggles. The cars are good too. I wasn't looking forward to the buggies and trucks I'll be honest but they're ok. I'm really enjoying the Alumicraft truck, it's great fun.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a slow trickle of Rally/Baja style vehicles released on the playlists over the next few months to bolster the rosta.

I will agree with @Imari above who said about the rally calls being slightly off as you race. They do seem to be read out slightly late to you but that's a minor quibble.

All in all in my opinion a great addition to the game.

As an answer to those who want FH5 to be more like WRC Rally... My reply is simple: I absolutely love that I can take any car in the game through a rally-like experience. FH5 is taking the basis of rally and giving us the ability to use a huge array of alternate cars that would never ever be seen in a normal rally game.

So instead of FH5 being more like WRC, we have FH5 distilling a bit of WRC but letting us deviate far far away from the traditional WRC driving experience. Which is a new thing. And therefore interesting.

If I want to race a big saloon, an SUV or even something more insane through these rally tracks, I can. Sure, the bumps absolutely destroy the balance of a big SUV, but that's half the fun. I definitely couldn't do that in DiRT Rally.

Jesus, who does this guy ^ think he is?

Its same bioms and assets as in main game. Yeap, Horizon 5 is beautiful game, but I playing it for 1.5 years already.
Game is on Mexico (a country that has NO SNOW unless you go to a REALLY TALL MOUNTAIN) and was pretty much done on pandemic
What you really was expecting? Tokyo in Mexico?
What theme? 2/3 of events are made for C,B,A class regular rally cars. And we get one truck and one A rally car suitable for these. Great car list, yeah.
That is a point i was about to comment but I AM GLAD you had bring it

What people seriously expected on the car list for expansion? WRC Cars? GR Yaris? LANCIA?!
Do those people dont know that even if PG tried they couldnt get those licenses beacuse they are pretty much under other companies or the automakers theyselfes dont want to give it to Forza and thus this is litteraly "the best of the rest" and that was their best they could came with?

Also, i honestly liked the fact that they had decided for the "Baja 1000 but with few termac" style of rally theme, it really brings me back to times where i was playing Dirt 2 and Dirt 3, I was craving for a offroad simcade style of game like that for so long and i find pretty ironic and intresting that it was a simple Forza Horizon Expansion that gave me this feeling back, even after all what is happening with Horizon nowadsays.

After read some comments, I also honestly, (even if it will sound like a blasphemy for some here), I think that "the obsissesive pursuit for the realism" is one of reasons the racing games on last 10 years mostly were trash, see even Dirt series for exemple, Dirt 4 was a trash beacuse Dirt Showdown (besides being a fun spinoff) was trashed to oblivion making CM focus more on "more seriousness and realism" in Dirt 4, also there is the factor that the Dirt Rally (I played 1, dont had chance or interest to play 2) is pretty much too focused on "esports" and dont have a solid carreer mode like the original 3 games and Dirt Showdown used to have, by the time 5 came out trying to return to roots, it was a empty shell of its before self, trying to imitate even if the original team probally is mostly not there anymore...

People seems to forget that video games about be about the fun, and fun sometimes does not mean being the more realistic possible, sometimes means be the most assesible, to be a game everyone can race on... there is a reason why the most sold racing series is not Gran Turismo, or Asserto Corsa, or iRacing, the most racing gaming series is MARIO KART.

I like auto racing and motorsports for over 20 years, even since i was a little boy, video games had gave me the sensation of fultfilling a dream i had to be a racing car driver, but sometimes people seems to forget that at end of the day, sim or not, video games are just video games...

About the DLC in general, again, if you want to spend some time carefree doing some rally with the car owned by one of the greatest, buy it, i am doing the carreer mostly with the Rally Focus and i am having the most fun possible, i just wish they could had the Celica ou Lancias, but i guess they tried but only maneged to got the Focus due all that licencing stupidty

If you want to trash someone or some company, go trash the automakers and racing series with their licensing stupidty, people trashed toyota beacuse they dont had the Supra or the AE86 on Forza and it had not took long until they put the cars back to the game

I’ve been enjoying the expansion so far. Probably the single most enjoyable part of the game is being able to use virtually any car I own for the rally stages. I started out using the Porsche 911 GT3 FE as my weapon of choice, now I’m using overpowered RWD muscle cars in the sand, the Renault 4 that rolls over in every corner on switchback mountain roads, and all my B, C, and D class rally builds that were gathering dust in Mexico. It’s just fun.

Game is on Mexico (a country that has NO SNOW unless you go to a REALLY TALL MOUNTAIN)
What's problem with REALLY TALL MOUNTAINS?
was pretty much done on pandemic
And somehow FH5 Hot Wheels has interesting and unique terrain.
What people seriously expected on the car list for expansion
There are hundreds of rally cars that not in the game suitable for C,B and A rally. Bunch of all terrain capable new cars. We getting 4 new to Forza cars in free playlist update, its not like Playground can't afford license for new cars. Just copium for Horizon fanboys.

Last edited:
Back