Funny/Strange News Stories

A day at Beekse Bergen Safari Park. Rule 1 STAY IN THE CAR!!!! Especially when you have a child on your arm....

Profanity warning
First, that's a video, not a news story. This is a news story: https://nltimes.nl/2018/05/11/family-escapes-cheetah-attack-dutch-safari-park-video

Secondly, the video is absolutely packed with profanities, so shouldn't be embedded anyway. That's why it's now a link. With a profanity warning.

Thirdly, this isn't actually that big a deal. Yes, the family is catastrophically stupid for even getting out of their car in a safari park, never mind with children, never mind setting up an actual picnic, but they picked the best worst place to do it. I love cheetahs, but they're idiots and really rather docile. They're about the only big cat you can safely have as a pet, if you have enough land to get away with it. See how the lead male reacts to the adult yelling and waving his arms at it? By dropping to the floor in a submissive position.

I wouldn't even call it a cheetah "attack", as the NL Times does. They went into the cheetahs' home and started acting like they own the place. It's a cheetah defence. And the cheetahs didn't attack them - they went to see what they were playing at.

Here's a wild cheetah, in Tanzania, literally climbing into someone's car to investigate them:

NARROW ESCAPE FROM A CHEETAH ATTACK! LUCKY TO GET OUT ALIVE! HE CHEETAHD DEATH! (lol)

Last edited:
https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...pen-oogje-dicht-om-stemmen-te-halen~ad532ffa/

Funniest news story I've heard all weekend.
Filled with falsehoods and misunderstanding the juristictions certain public funcrions have in Belgium combined with not explaining which functions do have responsability to do the things she and tucker think the mayor should do...

Does comedy central still have an opening for a second 'the opposition' show with tucker carlson as a host? Seems a more appropriate place for comedy then a 24h news channel no isn't it?

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...pen-oogje-dicht-om-stemmen-te-halen~ad532ffa/

Funniest news story I've heard all weekend.
Filled with falsehoods and misunderstanding the juristictions certain public funcrions have in Belgium combined with not explaining which functions do have responsability to do the things she and tucker think the mayor should do...

Does comedy central still have an opening for a second 'the opposition' show with tucker carlson as a host? Seems a more appropriate place for comedy then a 24h news channel no isn't it?
If you're going to call it full of falsehoods and misunderstandings the least you could do is back up that claim with a few references. About the one thing you did mention, Katie thinks the mayor should do more, the mayor says that's not her job. The former is an opinion, the mayor's declaration is a fact - it's not her job. Where's the falsehood?

Last edited:
If you're going to call it full of falsehoods and misunderstandings the least you could do is back up that claim with a few references. About the one thing you did mention, Katie thinks the mayor should so more, the mayor says that's not her job. The former is an opinion, the mayor's declaration is a fact - it's not her job. Where's the falsehood?

The falsehood is Hopkins' representation of the mayor's legal stance as "part of the problem" when that's a misrepresentation of a mayor's duties - those duties lie with the federal police and the mayor has no legal powers to act on that list. It's hard to imagine what towns would be like if mayors suddenly got legal powers to direct arrest. Shudder.

Ex Apprentice Eejit
She had that list with those names but she did not do anything with it. She said it was not her job. This is part of the problem in the jihadi capital of Europe

If you're going to call it full of falsehoods and misunderstandings the least you could do is back up that claim with a few references. About the one thing you did mention, Katie thinks the mayor should do more, the mayor says that's not her job. The former is an opinion, the mayor's declaration is a fact - it's not her job. Where's the falsehood?

The mayor does not have the right to arrest someone that's a police job. In this instance it actually is a national security agency thing.

Second the british reporter abused the language barier and it's this that is inexcusable imo. She said the mayor had a list of known terrorists well that's not true she had a list of radicalised individuals, this list includes people who don't support armed jihad but are.in favour of some kind of sharia. So those ideas are stupid but they have the right to believe that under the freedom of expression as long as they don't use violence. Those individuals are risks and are therefor followed up by the national security. It's the ocad list https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/39-namen-uit-vilvoorde-op-ocad-lijst-ba717ab6/

Giving you specific sources will be hard because the lady misrepresents a boatload of articles scratching all of them just at the surface. But I'm going to look for some of it. What you aren't going to find is a debunking article as we look at this as comedy and not even serious.

I am going to look for some articles that would give this some context. But this entire clip is awefull material coming from a 'news' source.

I really do believe fox 'news' should come with a disclaimer on screen if this is the size of the misrepresentations they make.

Seriously I just read the article it also explains why the mayor couldn't/shouldn't have done anything about the people on the list. Are you hoping I can provide you with english media that explains the issue for you?

This is also a problem that's blown way out of proportion. It is a problem but they are working on it. It's called 'hey kanaal plan' (the channel plan) https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...r-kanaalplan-werpt-zijn-vruchten-af~afbd4dd6/

Then she starts acting as if we have a large muslim base and ISLAM is a prominent political party in belgium. Which they aren't they might have A seat in a cities administration in a few cities. And I'll keep you posted how they do.in october if you want they have no seats in parlement not in a single one of them. They are a fringe group. I don't know how it works in canada so I can't say with what to compare them. https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...n-vrouwen-en-mannen-apart-op-de-bus~a57dec7d/

Edit: ow yeah I used HLN as I have the app on mt cellphone. They're about as right wing as mainstream media in Belgium can get. A fox new wouldn't get away with it here (just yet, we're close too).
You can probably find articles on:
https://www.demorgen.be/ a mainstream media source

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/ state sponsored news with a large buffer between the government and the editorial crew. They are considered left wing (they aren't imo they are accurate and centre) it's subsidised economic model makes it so they don't have to search for the juicy stories.

https://m.gva.be/ comparable with HLN

I'm not going to look for all articles but I linked the 2 most important and provided you with a few belgian news sources with slightly diffrent biases. If you'd still think I'm lying.

Also are you realy going to check it or is this just so you could make a remark?

Last edited:
The falsehood is Hopkins' representation of the mayor's legal stance as "part of the problem" when that's a misrepresentation of a mayor's duties - those duties lie with the federal police and the mayor has no legal powers to act on that list. It's hard to imagine what towns would be like if mayors suddenly got legal powers to direct arrest. Shudder.
The legalities are represented in the article and the mayor clearly explains it in the second video. Katie has her opinion. I don't see any falsehoods. Opinions aren't falsehoods.

The mayor does not have the right to arrest someone that's a police job. In this instance it actually is a national security agency thing.
And the article clearly quotes the mayor spelling that out. So again, where is the falsehood?
Second the british reporter abused the language barier and it's this that is inexcusable imo. She said the mayor had a list of known terrorists well that's not true she had a list of radicalised individuals, this list includes people who don't support armed jihad but are.in favour of some kind of sharia. So those ideas are stupid but they have the right to believe that under the freedom of expression as long as they don't use violence. Those individuals are risks and are therefor followed up by the national security. It's the ocad list https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/39-namen-uit-vilvoorde-op-ocad-lijst-ba717ab6/
Untrue. In the second video, the full interview, Hopkins refers to a "list" given to the mayor in 2015 and that list contained the name Abdeslam. She called it a "list" several times, nothing more. At 1:08 when the Mayor starts talking about the list Katie says the list is of people suspected of terrorism and the mayor corrects her and says it's suspected Jihadists. Again, I don't see any falsehoods or misrepresentations.

Katie is obviously fishing for a "gotcha" moment but I don't see anything misrepresented. The mayor has her say, Katie cries and gives her opinions. Where are all the falsehoods?

The legalities are represented in the article and the mayor clearly explains it in the second video. Katie has her opinion. I don't see any falsehoods. Opinions aren't falsehoods.

And the article clearly quotes the mayor spelling that out. So again, where is the falsehood?
Untrue. In the second video, the full interview, Hopkins refers to a "list" given to the mayor in 2015 and that list contained the name Abdeslam. She called it a "list" several times, nothing more. At 1:08 when the Mayor starts talking about the list Katie says the list is of people suspected of terrorism and the mayor corrects her and says it's suspected Jihadists. Again, I don't see any falsehoods or misrepresentations.

Katie is obviously fishing for a "gotcha" moment but I don't see anything misrepresented. The mayor has her say, Katie cries and gives her opinions. Where are all the falsehoods?

I'll rewatch the Tucker Carlson clip again when I have wifi available (limitef amount of mobile data)

And I hadn't watched the lower clip I was referring to the tucker carlson clip.

I'll watch the lower one too.

I had an issue with them acting as if the mayor was an idiot for not doing more. I 1lso have an issue with them claiming we have a jihadi capital. Although again I'll have to rewatch as that could have been the dutch text narrative.

Also I do have an issue with how they represent this they repsent the mayor as unwilling to do something and as if we have given. That's the misrepresentation. Then off course they can go in the plausible deniability mode. But again let me rewatch the entire video and try and make a point by point 'analysis' which would only be fair. Considering we're going more in depth and I watched it a few days ago.

Edit: also the fact I remember it like this means something. You can deny that but imo it's a common propaganda tactic. Let people fill in the blanks because if you didn't say it you have the ability to deny it as yoyr position.

I'll rewatch the Tucker Carlson clip again when I have wifi available (limitef amount of mobile data)

And I hadn't watched the lower clip I was referring to the tucker carlson clip.

I'll watch the lower one too.

I had an issue with them acting as if the mayor was an idiot for not doing more. I 1lso have an issue with them claiming we have a jihadi capital. Although again I'll have to rewatch as that could have been the dutch text narrative.

Also I do have an issue with how they represent this they repsent the mayor as unwilling to do something and as if we have given. That's the misrepresentation. Then off course they can go in the plausible deniability mode. But again let me rewatch the entire video and try and make a point by point 'analysis' which would only be fair. Considering we're going more in depth and I watched it a few days ago.

Edit: also the fact I remember it like this means something. You can deny that but imo it's a common propaganda tactic. Let people fill in the blanks because if you didn't say it you have the ability to deny it as yoyr position.
The "news story" you linked to to begin this part of the discussion wasn't just the Tucker Carlson video. It was a new story in some publication called HLN, which contained the Tucker video and the interview video between Hopkins and the mayor. If you meant to isolate the Tucker Carlson video you probably should have done that to begin with instead of leaving a link to the HLN article which contains more than just that video.

Yorkshire Pudding or "Dutch Baby"? Northerners roused an'all suchlike. BBC. Turns out the Americans have a Dutch (or Deutch) version - who'd have thought it?!

As an aside... there's actually nothing wrong with serving Yorkshire Pudding with syrup, we 'ad it all 'time as babbies.

How dare the Beeb suggest those piddly little things at the start of the article are a what Yorkshire Puddings are supposed to look like, this is what one is supposed to look like...

DSC_0001.JPG

You might not find this funny but as an avid golfer I found this hysterical. Apparently the inner workings of the PGA tour husbands and wive are not so vanilla as we're led to believe:
PGA star Lucas Glover’s wife was arrested for violently attacking the golfer over his poor showing at The Players Championship, authorities said. Krista Glover was arrested Saturday on battery charges at a home the couple rented in Ponte Vedra, Florida, not far from the competition at Sawgrass TPC, the Daily Mail reported. The 36-year-old is accused of causing bodily harm when she “forcefully attacked” the 2009 US Open winner and her mother-in-law in front of their two kids, according to the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office. When officers arrived at the scene, Lucas told them that, according to authorities, “when he plays a bad round of golf, Krista proceeds to start an altercation with him and telling him how he is a loser and a p—y.”
She does sound like a complete lunatic though :lol:

https://nypost.com/2018/05/15/pga-star-allegedly-attacked-by-wife-after-terrible-round/

As if the last Japanese train debacle wasn't disgusting enough they've only gone and done it again. Nation apologises after train runs 25 seconds early.
Two summers ago the gf and I were in Switzerland and when we were leaving we had to take a shuttle from one terminal to the other in the Zurich airport. On the shuttle platform there was a timer running indicating when the next shuttle would be there. I told her, "watch, that shuttle is going to arrive on time to the second". It did. I imagine the Swiss would also be apologetic if their trains didn't run on time:sly:. As a side note, it was also the gentlest starting and stopping train I've ever been on. You almost couldn't feel the acceleration and deceleration. Incredible stuff!!!

She's so proud of her decision that she kept her identity secret in the news articles.
I believe her name is JoeAnna.

The Trumpets, poking fun at themselves over Yanny vs. Laurel. Watch until the end for a big finish:lol::

Last edited:
Alexa recorded a private conversation without permission and sent the audio to a random contact, wow just wow :ouch: The likelihood of the couple activating all the trigger words by accident is highly unlikely so basically it seems Alexa heard what it wanted to hear... :ill:

The Guardian
No matter how suspicious it has seemed that Amazon is encouraging us to put listening devices in every room of our homes, the company has always said that its Echo assistants are not listening in on or recording conversations. Over and over again, company spokespeople have promised that they only start recording if someone says the wake word: “Alexa”.

It’s a spiel Danielle, an Alexa user from Portland, Oregon, had believed. She’d installed Echo devices and smart bulbs in every room in her house, accepting Amazon’s claims that they were not invading her privacy. But today she asked the company to investigate after an Alexa device recorded a private conversation between her and her husband and sent it to a random number in their address book without their permission.

Danielle found out her Alexa was recording when she received an alarming call from one of her husband’s colleagues saying: “Unplug your Alexa devices right now, you’re being hacked.”

She told KIRO-TV in Seattle that at first she didn’t believe the co-worker, but then she said: “You sat there talking about hardwood floors.” Danielle realised the colleague must have heard everything.

“I felt invaded,” she told KIRO-TV. “A total privacy invasion. Immediately, I said, ‘I’m never plugging that device in again because I can’t trust it.’”

An Amazon customer service representative confirmed that Danielle’s audio had been sent to the number and apologised but didn’t provide any information about why the device had been activated. A spokesperson for the company said it had “determined this was an extremely rare occurrence”.

At 6pm ET on Thursday, an Amazon spokesperson provided an updated statement with an explanation for why they believe Alexa forwarded the conversation. They said:

“Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like ‘Alexa’. Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a ‘send message’ request. At which point, Alexa said out loud ‘To whom?’ At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customer’s contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, ‘[contact name], right?’ Alexa then interpreted background conversation as ‘right’.”

Recognising the improbability of this series of mishaps occuring, they added: “As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely.”

Although Amazon maintains this was a malfunction rather than proof Alexa is always listening, the company has filed patent applications in the past for functionalities that involve always listening, such as an algorithm that would analyse when people say they “love” or “bought” something. The patent included a diagram where two people have a phone conversation and were served afterwards with separate targeted advertisements.

Alexa recorded a private conversation without permission and sent the audio to a random contact, wow just wow :ouch: The likelihood of the couple activating all the trigger words by accident is highly unlikely so basically it seems Alexa heard what it wanted to hear... :ill:
An unlikely sequence of innocent mistakes that could happen to anyone who chooses to place microphones controlled by other people into their homes.

The truly scary part from the Guardian article is this:

"Although Amazon maintains this was a malfunction rather than proof Alexa is always listening, the company has filed patent applications in the past for functionalities that involve always listening, such as an algorithm that would analyse when people say they “love” or “bought” something. The patent included a diagram where two people have a phone conversation and were served afterwards with separate targeted advertisements."

I truly cannot fathom why these things are so popular.

Back