Game of Thrones - Caution: contains spoilers & dragonsTV 

• Thread starter Villain
  • 862 comments
Time jumping really wasn't a thing in episode 4, Sure they moved the Lannister army quick but nothing suggests everything is done on the same day, for instance Dany would of been close to kings landing where the attack happened which isn't far from Dragonstone as the gold had made it to Kings Landing yet in the first scene you see Jamie packing it from Highgarden, meaning at best they are not that far behind.

It's quite a distance between King's Landing and Highgarden though, which is why I was a bit taken a back at how Dany and part of her army suddenly appeared there fighting after we'd previously seen her talking to Jon earlier in the episode.

It's quite a distance between King's Landing and Highgarden though, which is why I was a bit taken a back at how Dany and part of her army suddenly appeared there fighting after we'd previously seen her talking to Jon earlier in the episode.
Its hard to say that was near highgarden though, since in the first scene jamie is seen putting the last gold in,and later in the episode randyll says the gold made it to kings landing you could only assume they didn't just stay at high garden but followed the gold.

It makes sense if you treat each scene as a possible next day or more.

Wow!! that was a great episode! thanks to the leak I now have 2 weeks before I can see what happens next :banghead:

The Pros and Cons of life haha :lol:👍

"Leaked" accidentally by HBO due to all the fan sites kicking off about how lame ep 5 was.......the general feeling is that GoT are racing through the good bits then dragging the lame stuff out.

Wow!! that was a great episode! thanks to the leak I now have 2 weeks before I can see what happens next :banghead:

The Pros and Cons of life haha :lol:👍

See that's what I thought. If I watched it now, I'd just have to wait longer for the next one.

Wow!! that was a great episode!
Agreed. The dialogue, particularly north of the wall, was some of the best we've seen in recent seasons.

My only issue was with some of the ridiculous travel time hand-waving. How fast are those Westerosi ravens?!

My only issue was with some of the ridiculous travel time hand-waving. How fast are those Westerosi ravens?!

The ravens have been drinking copious amounts of Hellfire Premium, which explains the nearly-infinite supply of

Dracarys!
when
merely breaking chains isn't enough.

Where did they get those chains? Which of the un-coordinated walkers was dexterous enough to go down to the bottom of that lake, hook up those immensely heavy chains to the dragon that weighs who knows how much. Then they pull this heavy dragon out of the ice, that was just melted by dragon fire. Wouldn't the ice keep cracking?

Where did they get those chains? Which of the un-coordinated walkers was dexterous enough to go down to the bottom of that lake, hook up those immensely heavy chains to the dragon that weighs who knows how much. Then they pull this heavy dragon out of the ice, that was just melted by dragon fire. Wouldn't the ice keep cracking?

I wondered that too, but I know...

Janos Slynt's Wrecker and Salvage Service: Maker of Chains, Betrayer of The Seven Kingdoms.

Well, they can craft dragon-slaying projectiles, so I guess anything's possible to make the odds even up.

The story line is moving so fast now that the finer details, really the province of the novels, are perforce almost entirely omitted from the HBO production. Plenty of reason to keep reading the novels as they become published. I imagine that much of what we are seeing lately has been made up out of whole cloth by Dan and David, corresponding to the novels to come in only the broadest sense.

Its hard to say that was near highgarden though, since in the first scene jamie is seen putting the last gold in,and later in the episode randyll says the gold made it to kings landing you could only assume they didn't just stay at high garden but followed the gold.

It makes sense if you treat each scene as a possible next day or more.

It looks to be around at least 1000miles between Highgarden and Kings Landing, so a heavy cart pulled by horses would likely take somewhere in the region of 7 weeks to travel the distance. From a story telling point of view, i don't understand why he made Westeros so huge. But then i've said that before.

It looks to be around at least 1000miles between Highgarden and Kings Landing, so a heavy cart pulled by horses would likely take somewhere in the region of 7 weeks to travel the distance. From a story telling point of view, i don't understand why he made Westeros so huge. But then i've said that before.
It would make more sense in the books, in the show the size doesn't translate well at all.

In all honesty I think once all the books are out they need to make a Animated series and just do the whole story properly, it can't be done any other way.

Last edited:

It's hard to tell distances in the books, although the number of times Caitlyn–Tyrion, Brienne–Jaime/Pod, or Arya–Hound seem to set up camp between major events is the best gauge of measurement. The Roseroad is mentioned as a well-worn path, but frequently they take detours to avoid others (or have to deal with Frey's toll bridge).

I think they'd also mentioned early on that it took a fortnight to get to/from King's Landing to Winterfell, another reason why Ned also felt compelled to join as Robert's Hand. At roughly 3-4 miles an hour (not everyone is on horseback or drawn wagon), at 12-14 hours a day, you're getting 50 miles once meals, odd terrain, set-up/striking camp, and "making water" breaks are taken into account.

I don't know too much about raven velocities, but a mostly-unleaden raven might go 15-20 miles an hour, based on watching birds fly.

Could be wrong about the travel times, though.

Last edited:
My wife and I actually were watching the series over again the other night. In the first episode, Catlyn Stark says to Ned that the King rode on his horse for a month to ask Ned to be his hand.

How much does a dragon weigh?

How much does a dragon weigh?
How much does magic weigh? Dragons, like swords, castles and armor, are beautiful furniture in the mansion of the story.

It would make more sense in the books, in the show the size doesn't translate well at all.

In all honesty I think once all the books are out they need to make a Animated series and just do the whole story properly, it can't be done any other way.
Yes, the stories are so good that, like the best classics, they'll be retold and produced in various media for as long as there is civilization, literature and entertainment available on Earth.

I think they'd also mentioned early on that it took a fortnight to get to/from King's Landing to Winterfell, another reason why Ned also felt compelled to join as Robert's Hand. At roughly 3-4 miles an hour (not everyone is on horseback or drawn wagon), at 12-14 hours a day, you're getting 50 miles once meals, odd terrain, set-up/striking camp, and "making water" breaks are taken into account.

My wife and I actually were watching the series over again the other night. In the first episode, Catlyn Stark says to Ned that the King rode on his horse for a month to ask Ned to be his hand.

Looking at a map and basing distances on the stated length of The Wall (300miles) Winterfell has to be at least 2000 miles from Kings Landing. At 50 miles a day that's over 7 weeks travel.

The show directors and producers have acknowledged their time discordances, particularly in the last few episodes. They think most watchers will overlook it - "the willing suspension of disbelief" - since the show is constrained by many practical considerations.

Bottom line, get over it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You simply have to settle for the best, most interesting and entertaining TV show ever produced. Warts and all. But don't forget to read the books. "A reader lives a thousand lives" - GRRM.

I do feel like the timeline in this season has been rushed - like they're trying to squeeze in the tying up of too many story elements within the allotted time frame that the TV series has been granted. In seasons past the attack on Casterly Rock, the Lannister attack on Highgarden and the subsequent battle between the Dothraki and Lannister forces would have been spread over at least half a season. I guess it's down to not having the rich tapestry of the books to pull snippets from. I've not read the books and after seven TV seasons i doubt i ever will.

That's not to say i haven't thoroughly enjoyed season seven, it just feels like those multitudes of short character building scenes that filled the spaces between the large set pieces have been sacrificed for time constraints. In my mind, it's exactly those scenes that have made GoT the 'believable' universe it is. Season 7 has felt more like a film where you have to fill in gaps in plot in your own mind.

Yeah, It's pretty obvious Season 7 has switched to end game mode the pace is completely different, but given how many episodes are left it's a given.

Aside from the early dialogue north of the wall, episode 6 was garbage.

- The White Walkers are just kind of pathetic. They struggle to overcome even tiny obstacles, and would've been obliterated if Dany had bothered to turn Drogon 180 degrees to burn them. They're not scary, nor do they present any real danger, despite what the show continues to claim.
- Nameless soldiers who exist only so that the episode can show someone dying, sucks.
- Gendry, ravens and dragons using fast travel sucks.
- Dragon ex machinas are getting tiresome.
- Benjin ex machina was stupid the first time, and outright ridicules the 2nd time.
- Jon's plot armor is simply absurd at this point. He would not have been able to swim in freezing water with that kind of clothing, but even if we do accept all that nonsense, he would've died from hypothermia on the ride back.
- I too question where they got the chains from, and how they managed to actually chain the dragon and then pull it up. Reeks of BS.
- Jon and Dany romance feels forced beyond belief. Zero chemistry.
- Arya is soooo awful.

Bah....

Aside from the early dialogue north of the wall, episode 6 was garbage.

- The White Walkers are just kind of pathetic. They struggle to overcome even tiny obstacles, and would've been obliterated if Dany had bothered to turn Drogon 180 degrees to burn them. They're not scary, nor do they present any real danger, despite what the show continues to claim.
- Nameless soldiers who exist only so that the episode can show someone dying, sucks.
- Gendry, ravens and dragons using fast travel sucks.
- Dragon ex machinas are getting tiresome.
- Benjin ex machina was stupid the first time, and outright ridicules the 2nd time.
- Jon's plot armor is simply absurd at this point. He would not have been able to swim in freezing water with that kind of clothing, but even if we do accept all that nonsense, he would've died from hypothermia on the ride back.
- I too question where they got the chains from, and how they managed to actually chain the dragon and then pull it up. Reeks of BS.
- Jon and Dany romance feels forced beyond belief. Zero chemistry.
- Arya is soooo awful.

Bah....
Seems like it takes a lot to make you happy. If the most acclaimed and watched TV show doesn't work, what does it for you?

The issue with the White Walkers not seeming as deadly as the script makes out is, to quote those ancient sages Chumawumba, 'they get knocked down, but they get up again' - You can fell them with some decent swordsmanship, but you can't kill what isn't living and sooner or later, as was shown in this last episode, they will pull themselves together and continue fighting. They are relentless unless destroyed in specific ways.

Given that the Dragons were so effective in the episode or two before, i was surprised they didn't kick ass as much as we've been led to believe. Maybe Dany should have topped up their antifreeze before she set off?

Do they explain in the books how Dany is Jon's aunt when they are around the same age? Or is she supposed to be older but the actors just look the about the same age?

Do they explain in the books how Dany is Jon's aunt when they are around the same age? Or is she supposed to be older but the actors just look the about the same age?
They are the same age, keep in mind rhaegar had kids born before dany but they where killed.

According to the books, they're nearly the same age, and the relationship isn't finely discussed.

There's dropped hints: 1) Ned Stark tells Robert that he doesn't want a teenager killed just because she's a Targaryen [part of Season 1], 2) Ned's very reluctant about discussing his "infidelity" [because it's now obviously not true] to explain Jon Snow, 3) apparently, Targaryens have been inscestous for years, and that was "okay", whereas other houses saw that as "unacceptable/illegitimate" for other houses.

Well, at least Littlefinger is no more. His pot-stirring was getting annoying.

Geez, you can weaken him, but you can't kill Theon.

Last edited:
Pretty good finale.

- Where did the Unsullied come from? I thought they were surrounded in a siege at Casterly Rock? Did the writers just casually forget one of their own sub plots?
- The Truce talk in the first 30 minutes or so is pretty good, although the writers are really struggling to find a use for so many important characters at the same time. The end result being that many of them might as well not have been there.
- When Euron left, I thought it was entirely out of character, and became worried that we wouldn't see him again. Very happy that it was part of a clever ploy by Cersie. Euron might be a psychopath, but he's too enjoyable to not get more screen time :D
- The love story between Jon and Dany continues to be awful. Zero chemistry between them.
- Jamie finally leaves Cersie, but he forgot to bring Bronn with him! Very tense scene between him and the Mountain.
- Not sure what to think about the death of Little Finger. I was confident that he'd die in this season, but Winterfell as a whole was really poorly handled this season, and so his death feels somewhat rushed. It seems only natural that Sansa plays a part in his death, but Arya continues to suck, and he deserved a more memorable death at the hands of someone better.
- Bran continues to be emo and awful, but at least he provides us with more interesting lore this time around. And what a twist it was.
- So, did the White Walkers not have a plan to deal with the wall outside of using a dragon? What would they have done if they had not been presented with a dragon for their army? Just continue to casually stroll about in the North for eternity? Yeah, they still suck.
- Thankfully, Tormund didn't die, and so there is still hope for the best couple of GoT (Brienne/Tormund).

Back