General Discussion

• Thread starter daan
  • 497 comments
Oh my, how nostalgic I wax when returning to these hallowed threads of the 200 A-spec point races.

Such excitement, anticipation, and camaraderie was shared among so many of us here, along with numerous setbacks and disappointments.

Captivated, by the pursuit and challenge of the exploratory quest into the great max. pt. unknown.

Perhaps a like-experience will grace another Gran Turismo game someday and we will once again have the joy that comes with such an undertaking.

Be that as it may, the memories of this unique occasion are still preserved here for a while.

To be revisted from time to time and serve as a guidepost to any who may wish to indulge the challenge that we so enthusiastically were a part of.

One day, maybe I will go back and complete the max pt. game I started to see if you could begin the game with the standard credits,
run every race once, not sell any cars or buy any cars, and complete the game for maximum A-spec points.
I think you have to purchase a few cars, but otherwise I'm sure it can be done.
Maybe one day.

You need to purchase either 32 or 33 cars, I forget which. Hopefully a search will turn something up.

Kinda sad in a way, I used to know this stuff off the top of my head.

*snip*....
One day, maybe I will go back and complete the max pt. game I started to see if you could begin the game with the standard credits,
run every race once, not sell any cars or buy any cars, and complete the game for maximum A-spec points.
I think you have to purchase a few cars, but otherwise I'm sure it can be done....

SuperCobraJet, check out Famine's June Society thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75858

He and jbrennen have set up the parameters for a very enjoyable (if constrained) way of playing GT4.

Respectfully,
GTsail

SuperCobraJet, check out Famine's June Society thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75858

He and jbrennen have set up the parameters for a very enjoyable (if constrained) way of playing GT4.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Thanks for the tip.

For some reason I find it harder and harder to go back and play GT4.
Even though I think its by far, the greatest game to bare the Gran Turismo stamp.

The same thing happened to me with GT3.
Its as if at some point the season is over, and it can't be resurrected by another play thru.

Besides I am playing several other games and I still come back to GTP for the latest scuttlebutt and play any new GT5 seasonals from time to time.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well and thanks again.

You need to purchase either 32 or 33 cars, I forget which. Hopefully a search will turn something up.

Kinda sad in a way, I used to know this stuff off the top of my head.

So did I.
I thought it was less than that, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Heres a query for those who are familiar with the A-spec points chase;
The info in the 'A-Spec Point Data; Values, Races, and Modifications' thread is still considered to be the most accuarte we have for determining each cars individual A-spec points amount isn't it?

Howdy All:
Been away from the forum for a while, so hope this is posted in the proper thread. Recently got the urge to drive again [GT5 would need a MAJOR re-do before I'd even consider purchasing same], so dusted off the old PS2/GT4 combo. The race data base where I most recently posted is history so rather then just race "aimlessly", I decided to re-explore the 200 Point Races.

I've never liked "NOS" in real life nor the game, so have never used same. Also I don't abide "Wall Riding" or "Lawn Mowing." I'm not opposed to "Swapping Paint" w/the AI, especially if they initiate the action. You rub ME, I'll rub you back. I play GT4 for FUN so there are few races I won't attempt & due to NOT being able to save in the middle of Enduros I won't be doing the long ones either. "N1" tyres are pretty much a "No-No" as well for the same reason. Applying brakes just after exiting a corner to set-up for the next is less than satisfactory for me.

MY QUESTION:
[And I am most aware it'll just be an "Educated Guess"] Given the few rules above, how many Points does everyone [especially AMG, Austin 343, Dotini, Smallhorses among others] think might be on offer??? I had around 30,000 on my card when I started looking in earnest about a month ago for more points. Am currently just a race or two short of 70,000 & can see maybe 72,000 total. Any & all input welcome. THANX...O.G.
old.gif

Last edited:
Howdy All:
I've never liked "NOS" in real life nor the game, so have never used same. Also I don't abide "Wall Riding" or "Lawn Mowing." I'm not opposed to "Swapping Paint" w/the AI, especially if they initiate the action. You rub ME, I'll rub you back. I play GT4 for FUN so there are few races I won't attempt & due to NOT being able to save in the middle of Enduros I won't be doing the long ones either. "N1" tyres are pretty much a "No-No" as well for the same reason. Applying brakes just after exiting a corner to set-up for the next is less than satisfactory for me.

MY QUESTION:
[And I am most aware it'll just be an "Educated Guess"] Given the few rules above, how many Points does everyone [especially AMG, Austin 343, Dotini, Smallhorses among others] think might be on offer??? I had around 30,000 on my card when I started looking in earnest about a month ago for more points. Am currently just a race or two short of 70,000 & can see maybe 72,000 total. Any & all input welcome. THANX...O.G.
old.gif

Wow, to improve by 40,000 points in one month is TERRIFIC! Unquestionably you have the ability to gather significantly more.

Basically I think it all depends on how much time and effort you're willing to expend. If you can change your mind about N1's and doing the long races, that would make a big difference.

One thing I've always wondered about is the first corner lunge down the inside, maybe ever-so-slightly trading paint, but otherwise clean. This makes a difference.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

THANX Dotini!
Actually it's been closer to six weeks AND, I had the advantage of perusing all the threads in the 200 point forum. You guys did most of the hard work. In many cases, all I had to do was "Plug-In" a combo & hit the button. Also, I had a LOT of races that only had 006 points as I never really paid much attention to A-Spec points. I was always running for quickest times to post at another forum & not really looking for a good race.

While I'm on the subject...I'm AMAZED at how "haphazard" the 200 points are assigned! :dunce: It's like PD put up a dartboard & assigned values according to where the darts landed. Many times it's taken me more time to find the "Magic" combo than to actually run the races!!! I've also noticed that there's a variation on occasion even with the same opponents. I think it was the "VW GTI Cup" where if a certain AI car got held up behind the lead Lupo it was an easy victory but when he got around the Lupo quickly he was "Un-Catchable" [for ME at least!]

I know I'll come off as just another whiner, but I'd have been much happier if PD had issued a "Fix" for GT4 during the looooong pause, instead of sending out yet ANOTHER game, loaded w/flaws [read GT5] & from what I can see, there's probably no hope they'll ever change their ways.[/rant] THANX Again...O.G.
old.gif

Hi OG,
Just happened to roll in here by accident. Had a look at Smallhorses sig. It mentions 100K points. I know he doesn't use NOS and he's a clean driver.

At most I would possibly make 30-40K. Yes I'm that bad a driver. So I did wallride and use NOS.
Yes there are a lot of 1 hare 4 snail races in GT4, but hey it's way better than the fun you can get out of GT5. But that's for another forum. Merry Xmas.

In celebration of Christmas and in the spirit of clean racing in even equipment, I took a 200 point win at the Swiss Alps (Normal) Rally in an '86 Toyota Celica 2000GT-Four (ST165) vs the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. VI RS TME '00.

Full setup data are here: http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/setup-view/s_sid::8980/Celica-2000GT-FOUR-(ST165)-Dotini2001/

This begins my campaign to redo the entire Special Condition hall without the Dodge RAM, Suzuki GSX-R/4, and especially without NOS, wallriding and contact. I will see how many points I can get in this super-clean style.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Kool Dotini!
Hope you don't mind me tagging along, I've LOTS of points still to be found in the Special Conditions Hall.

@ AMG:
Good to see you're still checking in after all the work you put in this Forum. Happy Xmas Wishes to you as well...O.G.
old.gif

Hi O.G.! Good to see you back in the GT4 fold again! 👍
I can vouch for the fact that 100,000 and beyond is achievable sans NOS, shortcutting and wall-riding, along with the fact that I tried, where possible, to race 100% clean, although as you know well the AI aren't wont to reciprocate! I'm sure Sukerkin can attest to this too as he also did it NOS free, but he was much better at modifications and setups than me, although sadly I've not seen him post here much recently, but then I don't venture into the GT5 area, so who knows?

I also made an entry to 1st June Society with 78,980 points which was also achieved with as few modifications as possible, no NOS, no shortcutting, no wallriding but without being so painful as the 100,000 quest.
I did attach a spreadsheet to my entry which detailed the car driven, modifications (and in some cases AI lineup faced) and the points awarded for every race in that 1st June Society run, so it may be worthwhile having a look at if you're interested in racing properly and cleanly. 👍

Hiya Smallhorses!!!
First of all I want you to know you nearly caused me to rip out what little hair I have left! Found your report on Extreme Hall: Polyphony Digital Cup Races & didn't pay close enough attention. I "thought" these were 200 point races so took my similar Nissan ['70 prize car I think] & set off in pursuit of 2,000 points. Drove the wheels off the thing I "thought" but couldn't find more than 110 pts [most were in the 56 -80 range] before I discovered the truth!!! Anyhow THANX for giving me an opportunity to use my Nissan!

Will check out your spreadsheet but am about at the end [for a while] of my quest. I've LOTS of stuff to offer on e-bay & didn't want it to get lost in the Xmas insanity. Must seriously pursue that as we want to move soon & I do NOT want to pack-up all my stuff even one more time. THANX Again. ...O.G.
old.gif

I couldn't use it for my 1st June Society run, since it would've meant buying an extra car and burning an extra day, but in my 100,000 game, after I'd done the Nissan Skyline '73 as you'd mentioned I had to go back and pick up some of the remaining pieces. The only way to clear up all the races is to use the Dodge Ram, :yuck:, but since I'd set myself the goal of only collecting points in the Sport Truck Race with the Ram (where it belongs) and not use it anywhere else, I had to come up with something else:

The Honda Heffalump, er, Element.

In stock form this thing is a dog, it won't accelerate from a standstill, but with a little modifications to the transmission, suspension and tyres, not to mention power in a few places, I was able to clean up PD Cup for 200 points in most races, except Tokyo (172 pts), Sarthe (148 pts) and Nurb' (161 pts). It will likely have been against either lineup 21 or 45 after a console reset as these are the most evenly distributed performance, and thus points-wise for a beatable lineup.

Sorry about your hair. :guilty: :D

Does anybody know what the maximum A-spec total is for the NTSC-J version of GT4?

Until today, I would have thought it was the same as the NTSC North American and PAL versions, but playing the NTSC-J version just now, I seem to have discovered that there are only 167 points per race available in the Isuzu manufacturer races, compared to 179 points available in the same races for NTSC North America and PAL. I ran a 117 Coupe from the used car lot with no oil change, N1 tires, and max ballast, and was only offered 167 points.

A little Googling around seems to imply that the 167 point figure is correct: http://ametsugu.net/GT/gt4_A-spec_point.html

Looking at the very top of that page, the number 112200 is shown, but it's not clear from the online translation whether that's a true maximum or just the amount that one particular player was able to achieve.

If the NTSC-J game has a different max, it makes me wonder what is different... Is it the car specifications that are different, the A-spec point calculation, or both?

EDIT: it looks like 122200 isn't a maximum, maybe it's 112241: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/aisennshi_max/

Last edited:
The 200pt streak is still alive! I just spent the last 10 days wearing out my Alto Lapin Turbo... In A-spec mode!!!

I entered the GT All Stars as a championship and ran practice sessions at High Speed Ring... 4500 miles later, it now shows 57hp, and I can get 200 point offers with the 10th lineup for the K-cup (NA).

This will allow me to get 6 more 200 pointers, with the concept races to follow this group. So in addition to these, the Tsukuba Wet Hard race should put me at 445 in a row, using around 40 cars.

With my lineup, there are only a few other races that can yield 200... The S7, Miata Enduro, and the BMW 1 series. I already have 1000 miles on the 120i, but I won't likely do what I did here to get the offer.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and verify that there are still A-spec maniacs out on the road!

Have A Great Drive!
RH

Edit: after a couple of days trying, it looks like I'll need to wear down my Concept S2 to get all 3 races for 200 points. This thing is just undriveable with N1s, and I'm not going to waste any more time trying to win at Seattle and Tsukuba. Just not worth the frustration.

I guess 443 races isn't too bad though.

Last edited:
Back