General Model Kit Building Thread

Haha sweet.

Oh and if you really do get back into the 1/24 scale building again. Show dem skills. All these procedures will be my first time once I get the necessary tools for the models and will need to know the right and wrongs about all this... especially painting.

I think my biggest issue with paints is that I need better ones than low-end Testors ones. I can never get good results with their regular spray paints. I do have a cheap, but decent Testors airbrush though, but I need to buy an airbrush compressor. Tamiya paints are harder to find out here, since most places only stock basic hobby supplies or stuff for r/c models. Well, I shall see what kind of results I can get this week though. Gotta find a model of a car I actually want to build first though lol...

Haha sweet.

Oh and if you really do get back into the 1/24 scale building again. Show dem skills. All these procedures will be my first time once I get the necessary tools for the models and will need to know the right and wrongs about all this... especially painting.

Take your time, no matter how eager you are to see what it likes like, suspension, doors, engine etc, just dont rush it.

The first won't be spot on, remember where you went wrong, and correct it on the next model.

I think my biggest issue with paints is that I need better ones than low-end Testors ones. I can never get good results with their regular spray paints. I do have a cheap, but decent Testors airbrush though, but I need to buy an airbrush compressor. Tamiya paints are harder to find out here, since most places only stock basic hobby supplies or stuff for r/c models. Well, I shall see what kind of results I can get this week though. Gotta find a model of a car I actually want to build first though lol...

You should get a Tamiya Mazda Eunos 1/24 model kit if you want a kit to use as a dummy. :dopey:
Its just $16 right now in eBay, which I personally believe is cheap for this scale range.

Take your time, no matter how eager you are to see what it likes like, suspension, doors, engine etc, just dont rush it.

The first won't be spot on, remember where you went wrong, and correct it on the next model.

Thanks dude. 👍
Will definitely take your advice in advance.

It's a shame you can't find Tamiya spray cans. They spray soooo much better than Testor's.

But, if you want brilliant results you gotta go with special paint. Check out Zero Paints from Hiro Boy. I bought some OEM Toyota paints, their 2K Clear, and their Primer.

I still need to buy an airbrush and compressor though :ouch:

So is there anyone here who's a member at the Model Cars Magazine forums? If not, you should check them out since it's a great forum for model builders.

Okay, I'm about to head out to my local hobby store tomorrow, so I need some price ranges or brand recommendations for good quality brushes. So help me out here. lol

I got my eye on the Tamiya basic brush set, but it doesn't look promising. Kept getting mixed opinions about the choices of paint and brushes that I ask.:banghead:

Oh yeah, water-based acrylic paints too is what I need and I think Vallejo paints looks very promising based on this tutorial that I watched. :)

It's a shame you can't find Tamiya spray cans. They spray soooo much better than Testor's.

But, if you want brilliant results you gotta go with special paint. Check out Zero Paints from Hiro Boy. I bought some OEM Toyota paints, their 2K Clear, and their Primer.

I still need to buy an airbrush and compressor though :ouch:
Most likely I will have to order paints online, due to the fact non of the local hobby shops stock them. Probably would have to drive all the way to Dallas (3 hours away) just to get some in a store lol...

Most likely I will have to order paints online, due to the fact non of the local hobby shops stock them. Probably would have to drive all the way to Dallas (3 hours away) just to get some in a store lol...

Wow thats pretty surprising...
I just went to a couple of hobby shops and the Tamiya spray paints are quite common. I was going to get some but I've already bought $50 worth of acrylic paint along with HF basic brush set. But they're definitely on my list, as well as the Tamiya black paint for the panel lines.

Wow thats pretty surprising...
I just went to a couple of hobby shops and the Tamiya spray paints are quite common. I was going to get some but I've already bought $50 worth of acrylic paint along with HF basic brush set. But they're definitely on my list, as well as the Tamiya black paint for the panel lines.

Well, out here in the deep souf, hobby shops mostly just stock R/C car stuff and Testors stuff. Not like when I lived in Cali and could find Tamiya paints in most any hobby shop.

I have a few of those jam jar Tamiya Acrylic paints which are great but was wondering are they exactly the same paint you get in those Acrylic squeezey tube art sets? Because Tamiya's is really watery (which is good) and I don't believe they are the same product despite having the same name.

Got my Zero Paints in. So yeah, they do ship paint to the US, just go with the registered air mail.

I thought it was illegal to send spray paint airmail, what did they put on the declaration form? I haven't been able to get certain paints from other countries for years because of this.

Also can someone please tell me.... Art Acrylic Paint and Hobby Acrylic, what's the difference?

I thought it was illegal to send spray paint airmail, what did they put on the declaration form? I haven't been able to get certain paints from other countries for years because of this.

Also can someone please tell me.... Art Acrylic Paint and Hobby Acrylic, what's the difference?

It depends on inginuative the yellow men who sent it to you are ;)

From when I have ordered stuff from china it has never had what it actually was on the declaration form. Have you tried ordering it or do you just think it will be stopped if you do order it.

From when I have ordered stuff from china it has never had what it actually was on the declaration form. Have you tried ordering it or do you just think it will be stopped if you do order it.

I think it will be stopped if I place an order for spray paint, I mean how do they stop the can's from rattling inside the package and all this stuff about air pressure... it just worries me!

I think it will be stopped if I place an order for spray paint, I mean how do they stop the can's from rattling inside the package and all this stuff about air pressure... it just worries me!

Zero Paints come in glass jars and are used for airbrushing only. You wouldn't have a problem, Hiroboy is in the UK.

You can order spray cans through the mail, but they have to go surface mail. I've had friends order rattle cans from China that came airmail though. If anything they'll just get confiscated.

Zero Paints come in glass jars and are used for airbrushing only. You wouldn't have a problem, Hiroboy is in the UK.

You can order spray cans through the mail, but they have to go surface mail. I've had friends order rattle cans from China that came airmail though. If anything they'll just get confiscated.

I see, I thought even if you send spray cans surface mail (lets say from China) there is a law against the postman carrying it. Doesn't seem to stop every ebay seller doing it though!

There also isn't much information as to whether you can take spray paint in checked in luggage on a plane because deodorant is surely the same thing and that's allowed.

Anyone seen this one yet? Looks like decal hell.

$(KGrHqIOKk!E0bc2p1L3BNY1sUIfDQ~~_3.JPG

I saw that, along with the Z4 GT3. Fun times. Now if only I could find a decent place to buy a few kits....all I can find locally is the run of the mill Revell kits. Really getting the itch to build lately.

Only to add them to the list of cars we already have.

JDM2.jpg

And which of these do you want to sell me? :sly:

Last edited:
Sly Guy
I wanted to get that GT3, but it's quite expensive.

I do want to get this though :drool:

Where can I get that??? And I just got a Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1 Mobil 1 Le Mans edition. I'll be pictures up when im done.

Do you still follow this thread? I just got hands on a 1:12 F1 Ferrari 312 T4 (Gilles Villeneuve's 1979 car) and I had some experience to share! I started the car today, and I still only painted some parts.

For those interested, here's a thread I created by mistake, because I didn't know the existence of this one! I'll be posting pictures of it in this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=258580

Here's a picture of the pre-assembling car :)
DSC_0666%255B1%255D.JPG

Do you still follow this thread? I just got hands on a 1:12 F1 Ferrari 312 T4 (Gilles Villeneuve's 1979 car) and I had some experience to share! I started the car today, and I still only painted some parts.

Sweet! 1:12 makes for A LOT of detailing if you're really into it. Can't wait to see the progress. 👍

Does anyone here know how to get the most realistic windshields and front light covers? I'm going to start on a few Le Mans winners soon (956, 956, 962, XJR9, C9, etc) and don't want them to look like the ones I've already completed, in which those parts clearly look like thick plastic...

Can anyone recommend a good model kit for a beginner, looking for a 1/24 race car that is newbie friendly.

Back