General Model Kit Building Thread

Can anyone recommend a good model kit for a beginner, looking for a 1/24 race car that is newbie friendly.

I don't know, 1/24 model kits aren't usually designed for beginners... such as me, I remeber assembling my first model car, which is a 1/20 McLaren MP4-4, and of course, that didn't end well... (see below for overall description of the assembling process)

But this is one of the easiest-to-paint race cars I've ever seen (at least it seems so :P):
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24320porsche961/index.htm
...still, I'd recommend you to buy something very cheap (by this, I mean very, very cheap ... maybe ~10-15 Euros?), and something you won't keep it for long. And, I'd say it better be a road car, as road cars don't need a lot of decals on the outer surface 👍

------------------------​
(Attention: long 'passage' :crazy:)

I didn't buy enough paints for my first model (i.e. the McLaren MP4-4), so I had to replace a lot of the colours with black and silver, plus I don't have good painting/modelling skills/patience, so that resulted in the whole car covered in cement :lol:

Then I asked my mother to help me spray-paint the car body, and she just broke it into (almost) two pieces :lol:

A few months later, I 'restored' it, and although some parts of it were repainted, it's still very horrible (A broken suspension caused one of the wheels to loosen, and cement is the only way to put it back in place :grumpy:). But I still keep it nowadays :)
(It's still got some missing decals!)

And around half a year ago, I built another model i.e. the DBS (:drool: x10).
Since I had suffered from my previous experience in the MP4-4, I managed to build a better model. Yes, it's still horrible, but it's better than the McLaren, and I'm planning on another 'restoration' on it, as soon as I have bought my modelling wax (yes, that's necessary, no matter it's a race car or a road car.)

And now I'm planning on building another model during my 2-month holiday... time for another model to get wrecked! :mischievous:

Last edited:
So, quite a long while ago I complained a bit about a Ferrari Daytona 1:24 by Italeri, and now it's finally finished!
My best paint job yet which should indicate how bad I am at painting these things. :grumpy:

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

Next up is my Alpine a110 by Tamiya.

Very nice Apok. 👍

Did you make the license plates or did they come with the kit?

Thanks guys. :D

I saw on a forum that someone in my area was making custom waterslide decals, so I ordered a couple of them.
I could make them myself, but nobody seems to be selling the paper in my area. :grumpy:

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Model Car Build, Day 3:

Today I have finished Step 5 out of 21 steps (:lol:), which means I have finished the suspension & chassis parts, and tomorrow I'll be doing the Wheel housing, or if even better (and faster), the Air Box.

But now here is a picture of the current model:
(Warning: huge picture :crazy:)

phototeo.jpg

(Taken with my father's iPhone :P)

Looks pretty sh:censored:ty, right? :lol:

Please note that one of the brakes are badly painted (the paint on it is thousands of layers thick :crazy:), and its brake calliper have no 'Mercedes-Benz' decals on it, as I accidentally broke one when putting it on a front brake calliper :indiff:

---

An overview of my progress over these days:

Day 1: Finished Step 1 (Chassis)
Day 2: Finished Steps 2 & 3 (Front uprights & suspension)
Day 3: Finished Steps 4 & 5 (Rear uprights & suspension)

It's not too bad.
I do wonder though what happened with the interior, since there seem to be blotches of beige paint on it.

It's not too bad.
I do wonder though what happened with the interior, since there seem to be blotches of beige paint on it.

About the interior, it's because the paint has probably too little solid paint, and too much water in it, causing the solution to become too watery, and have tiny rough bits in it, which in turn also caused the interior to become like this, no matter how I tried :indiff:

^It's going to be great, 'cause it's Tamiya and it's a F40 :drool:👍

Always having more interest in road cars, becuase the complicated liveries of the race cars told me to go away :lol:

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Model Car Build, Day 4:

Today Step 6 (Wheel Housing) has been half-finished. The reason I say it's half finished, is becuase a part of the plastic, which originally is supposed to be painted in white, looks terrible after the painting (either it's my skills, or it's the paint to blame on :lol:), so I decided to repaint it in silver tomorrow, and see if that improves. ;)

(No pic today, for the part painted in white is really ugly :lol:)

---

An overview of my progress over these days:

...ights & suspension)
Day 3: Finished Steps 4 & 5 (Rear uprights & suspension)
Day 4: Half-Finished Step 6 (Wheel Housing)
Day 5: Did nothing :lol:
Day 6: Did nothing again, as it's Sunday :lol::sly:
Day 7: Step 6 has improved with the painting, but still not finished
Day 8: Finished Step 6
Day 9: Started work on Step 7 (Air box), but hardly did anything to it, as one of the paints is found to be too 'condensed', so I will suspend the work until this weekend, at which I will have bought a new bottle of paint :D
Day 10 (resumed on the 7th of August): still working on Step 7, it's very hard to paint on it (properly) now, as I've washed it, and wiped away its glossy surface (without intention :guilty:) earlier
Day 11: Still working on Step 7. I'm starting to believe that I won't manage to finish the model before the holiday ends :(
Day 12: Finished Step 7, started working on Step 8 (Engine bay)
Day 13: Did nothing, spent most of the time today on GT5 :D
Day 14: Did nothing
Day 15: Did nothing (three in a row! :lol:)
Day 16: Finished Step 8, working on Step 9 (Dashboard)
Day 17: Almost finished Step 9, but still a little bit of work has to be done on it tomorrow
Day 18: Step 9 finished, started work on Step 10 (Interior)
I'm also announcing that this model is never going to be complete, as one of its tiny parts (probably the gearknob) flew away while I was painting it. A whole hour of searching was carried on it immediately after, but in vain. Unless the part was found later in the next few days (which I dearly hope so), the model is never going to be completed. :(
Day 19: Still working on Step 10, but I skipped that step (while waiting for the paint to dry), and finished Step 11 & 12 (Front & Rear wheels) first :D
Day 20: Don't have much time today, so I'm still working on Step 10
Day 21: Did nothing
Day 22: Did nothing
Day 23: Still working on Step 10
Day 24: Almost finished Step 10, but not completely finished
Day 25: Finished Step 10 & 13 (Attaching Wheels)
Day 26: Finished Step 14 (Rear-view mirror, Backup lights & Front bumper), working on Step 15 (Taillights)
Day 27: Finished Step 15, working on Step 16 (Body assembly)
Day 28: Wanted to work on it, but don't have time :(
Day 29: Did nothing
Day 30: Still working on Step 16, need to speed up the progress :scared:
Day 31: Finished Step 16, working on Step 17 (Attaching body)
Day 32: Finished Step 17, working on Step 18 (Front fenders & Doors)
Day 33: Working on Step 18
Day 34: Finished Step 18, working on Step 19 (Attaching doors). Only 2 days before school starts again! :scared:
Day 35: Working on Step 19, tomorrow will be the last day of holiday, and I'll have to make the most out of it :crazy:
Day 36: Worked on the car for a VERY long time, so I almost finished the whole car (i.e. Step 19, Step 20 (Attaching bonnet & Side mirrors) & Step 21 (Door stays)). A little bit of work in the next few days, and the car will be finished (well, not completed because the gearknob was missing :indiff:).

A lot of credits have to go to my mother 👍, as she helped me a lot and gave me advices and prevented me from making the car a mess :lol:

Photos will be coming in the next few days if possible.

- Final update

Last edited:
What's a good online source in the US for Tamiya and similar-quality kits? I haven't built a model in ages, but I've been wanting to do some lately, and my airbrush and compressor need some exercise, haha. The local hobby shops don't have anything interesting, only a few Tamiya kits at one store, none of which I'm interested in, and everything else is cheapo Revell muscle car and hot rod kits. Back in the day I used to just order from Japan, but the yen is too ridiculous for that nowdays.

I doubt of any of us modellers here are rich enough to afford that 1:1 AM DBR1 :crazy:
But that does looks terrific though :drool:
What's better, it doesn't have to be painted yourself :grumpy:

I've finished work on my Tamiya Alpine a110.
My best looking result with paint yet!

IMG_4275-1.jpg

IMG_4276-1.jpg

IMG_4310-1.jpg

IMG_4313-1.jpg

IMG_4332-1.jpg

IMG_4327-1.jpg

IMG_4318-1.jpg

IMG_4323-1.jpg

Attempt at taking a picture of the interior...

Since taking the pictures I've drilled a hole into the exhaust, so it looks more realistic and fixed the rear right tire because it was a bit wonky.

I'm also building a Lancia Stratos rally car now by Italeri.
About that.... if you're thinking of buying one yourself I suggest the Hasegawa version.

Since taking the pictures I've drilled a hole into the exhaust, so it looks more realistic and fixed the rear right tire because it was a bit wonky.

I'm also building a Lancia Stratos rally car now by Italeri.
About that.... if you're thinking of buying one yourself I suggest the Hasegawa version.

Lookin' awesome. :drool:

I'm also only a few steps away from finishing my SLR. If possible, it'll be finished this weekend.
Don't expect 'cause my painting & assembling skills are terrible :lol:

IMG_4318-1.jpg

Great job! Paint is looking good indeed. 👍

I'd suggest giving that engine a wash to bring out all the details and enhance realism a great deal.

The only completely finished one that I feel like putting photos up of.
A 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air drag car.
I'm pretty happy with it. :sly:

Been wanting to take pictures of it long ago, but it's only a few days ago that I've got the time to get my hands on my father's camera... (Last batch of photos got deleted because my father says 'they're too dark', apparently he doesn't know that it can be fixed with a simple editing software.)

Prepare for Spray-paint horribleness. :ill:

---

The camera doesn't know where to focus on.

This car is missing a gearstick.

---

Photos of the SLR with the DBS.

Oh, and open-able doors come with a price, which is the extra difficulty when trying to assemble the chassis together. :crazy:

Been wanting to take pictures of it long ago, but it's only a few days ago that I've got the time to get my hands on my father's camera... (Last batch of photos got deleted because my father says 'they're too dark', apparently he doesn't know that it can be fixed with a simple editing software.)

Whatever paint it is you used in the interior needs some thinner.
Badly.

What kit is that? The gap between body panels seems kind of large.

Whatever paint it is you used in the interior needs some thinner.
Badly.

What kit is that? The gap between body panels seems kind of large.

B-b-but it's supposed to be finished! :scared:

The model kit is from Tamiya, and I noticed the gaps before too, especially the hood & doors. I don't know why, but they just won't close properly without leaving a gap. Maybe it's because it's one of the very few models of Tamiya that come with opening doors.

Should have fixed it. :P

And you did a good job with the spray paint.
Not that many faults I can spot.

And you did a good job with the spray paint.
Not that many faults I can spot.

I need help from my mother for the spraying part. :lol:
I guess that also means the parts which I'm responsible (almost the whole car) aren't good-looking. :lol:

Back