General Model Kit Building Thread

Prontosaurus 3 is almost ready for launch. Only the spin tabs remain.
DSC00550.jpg

After building 3 dozen rockets in the past year, I'm ready to stop building and resume testing after the long, wet winter. I have 9 new scratch builds, 2 kits and a kitbashed CHAD to test. I will start at nearby Dahl field - but have joined the club that uses the vast 60 Acres facility and will do the higher altitude launches there.

Time to dust off this old thread with some reasonably new builds.
First up an MS 410 in 1/72 scale. A French early WWII fighter depicted in finnish markings. Quite happy with the result. I scratch built the exhaust tips, did some chipping effects where they seemed to happen on the real aircraft, added detail to the landing gear and ended up with a decent result out of an average kit at best.
DSCN2610.jpg
DSCN2613.jpg
DSCN2616.jpg
DSCN2618.jpg

And my latest finished model is this 1/24 scale Impreza from the 2002 Tour de Corse rally.
DSCN2675.JPG

DSCN2690.JPG

DSCN2701.JPG

DSCN2698.JPG

I was going to criticize the Subaru for having defroster lines on the rear window, not expecting the rally car to have them; I was thinking the kit manufacturer just used what they had from a stock Imprezza kit, but a Google image search for the car clearly shows defroster lines. So... never mind! 😄

Finally got my room setup after our move from Oklahoma to Florida. Kicked off the return to modelling with an Indy car build.
Did the 1/20 Tamiya Lola T93/00 Ford Newman Haas car of Nigel Mansell. This is a snap-tite kit, but I built it like a normal kit, except where the snap parts were sufficient - it's actually a pretty decent kit for a snap-tite kind. Anywho, here are some build pics and final shots.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUTKYa3Q6RNrnX-TxzxnNzLzaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

Had to order new decals as the old ones were yellow - glad Indycals has these...

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURk5dkYGsDSMo7ESROuuxZTrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSxBVw0B-z6OfU093VwDquRV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

Tried out some new primer I had gotten right before we packed up.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQOETBu1-WSpoVVFSqZ4dFD5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUReQonMVl0ZSP-Wgyo4Ygi4VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQL_JdpqtVdxuCLllweWd6oqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

Painting the body pieces and adding the decals.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSih8q7PaU5dqLORzuPYcVzV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUT1xsWyTMtBndGEWRL7zmSH5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSi7DPYruzxEKpp75N5YdVd5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQ_cyqLedom_oYlQPlkaqmaqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

Finished up!

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUTXIh9OtFi48gXM4MfEJMw34xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSc8lDx_ZWwmk8XTejiOiW0rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURSV9VwOj9y7tZgO3vJrHW6VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

Thanks for looking in!!

And I'm back on the Jagermeister Alfa Romeo 155 DTM... I'm doing a Detail-Up set on this one, first time trying resin and metal parts on a kit. I may post some updates on it as I go - I've already got about 10-12 hours in it and haven't even really started. Lol !! All the PE parts are pretty fiddly but so far it's looking a lot better than stock.

ie.: Here's the brakes built up with the aftermarket parts versus the stock parts:

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUShLYcjXtiafwAIOEYxAYtjVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

Finally got my room setup after our move from Oklahoma to Florida. Kicked off the return to modelling with an Indy car build.
Did the 1/20 Tamiya Lola T93/00 Ford Newman Haas car of Nigel Mansell. This is a snap-tite kit, but I built it like a normal kit, except where the snap parts were sufficient - it's actually a pretty decent kit for a snap-tite kind. Anywho, here are some build pics and final shots.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUTKYa3Q6RNrnX-TxzxnNzLzaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

Had to order new decals as the old ones were yellow - glad Indycals has these...

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURk5dkYGsDSMo7ESROuuxZTrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSxBVw0B-z6OfU093VwDquRV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

Tried out some new primer I had gotten right before we packed up.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQOETBu1-WSpoVVFSqZ4dFD5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUReQonMVl0ZSP-Wgyo4Ygi4VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQL_JdpqtVdxuCLllweWd6oqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

Painting the body pieces and adding the decals.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSih8q7PaU5dqLORzuPYcVzV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUT1xsWyTMtBndGEWRL7zmSH5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSi7DPYruzxEKpp75N5YdVd5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQ_cyqLedom_oYlQPlkaqmaqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

Finished up!

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUTXIh9OtFi48gXM4MfEJMw34xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSc8lDx_ZWwmk8XTejiOiW0rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURSV9VwOj9y7tZgO3vJrHW6VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

Thanks for looking in!!

And I'm back on the Jagermeister Alfa Romeo 155 DTM... I'm doing a Detail-Up set on this one, first time trying resin and metal parts on a kit. I may post some updates on it as I go - I've already got about 10-12 hours in it and haven't even really started. Lol !! All the PE parts are pretty fiddly but so far it's looking a lot better than stock.

ie.: Here's the brakes built up with the aftermarket parts versus the stock parts:

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUShLYcjXtiafwAIOEYxAYtjVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg
Congratulations on the Indycar build. It has turned out really well even if you had to replace the yellowed decals. This kit, and the oval-spec Dick Simon kit, are both on my wishlist & will be added to my growing stash in the future. It's good to know Indycals have replacements as I hope to build both as Newman-Haas cars. One Nigel & one Mario.

Your move mirrors what I have coming up later this year so I'm not building at the moment. Just waiting to get set up in my new place & making sure I have everything I need once I'm in.

Good luck with the Alfa & please post updates of your build. The Jagermeister car is the same kit as the factory-livery kit with just a change of decals & mould colour. The factory car is also on my wishlist so I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

Congratulations on the Indycar build. It has turned out really well even if you had to replace the yellowed decals. This kit, and the oval-spec Dick Simon kit, are both on my wishlist & will be added to my growing stash in the future. It's good to know Indycals have replacements as I hope to build both as Newman-Haas cars. One Nigel & one Mario.

Your move mirrors what I have coming up later this year so I'm not building at the moment. Just waiting to get set up in my new place & making sure I have everything I need once I'm in.

Good luck with the Alfa & please post updates of your build. The Jagermeister car is the same kit as the factory-livery kit with just a change of decals & mould colour. The factory car is also on my wishlist so I'm very interested to see how it turns out.
Thanks Pete, and good luck with the move!! I moved us halfway across the US by myself - at 51 years old that, to date, is the dumbest thing I've ever done. :lol:

I'll try and keep up in here, but I post to a model dedicated forum, already have a WIP thread going... and I L-O-V-E the DTM Alfa's, have all 3 of them. The factory Red one, the Martini one, and the Jager car. :D

Thanks Pete, and good luck with the move!! I moved us halfway across the US by myself - at 51 years old that, to date, is the dumbest thing I've ever done. :lol:

I'll try and keep up in here, but I post to a model dedicated forum, already have a WIP thread going... and I L-O-V-E the DTM Alfa's, have all 3 of them. The factory Red one, the Martini one, and the Jager car. :D
Lucky for me, I only have to move a few suburbs away so nowhere near as daunting as a cross country relocation.
I hope you were able to do it in one go & not multiple trips? They don't hand out points for frequent drivers.

Where is the model dedicated forum?
I'm signed up to a few pages on Facebook & this thread here, but that's it.

That Martini Alfa is also on the wishlist.
It looks different enough to be worth doing.

I've run into the Tamiya yellowing decals myself, and it's quite disappointing!! Notice that the aftermarket cigarette brand decals did not turn yellow...
48319135107_2e3595b711_b.jpg

Another model... These are both from Tamiya's 1/12 Grand Prix collection, and are excellent kits, other than the decal fad.
48319026796_cc8439fdfa_b.jpg

I also have that same Indycar, and was also impressed with the quality of the kit, not expecting much because of the snap-together. It could do with more detail under the bodywork, but I've never been able to bother... And that rear wing assembly is molded as one piece!

I've run into the Tamiya yellowing decals myself, and it's quite disappointing!! Notice that the aftermarket cigarette brand decals did not turn yellow...

Another model... These are both from Tamiya's 1/12 Grand Prix collection, and are excellent kits, other than the decal fad.

I also have that same Indycar, and was also impressed with the quality of the kit, not expecting much because of the snap-together. It could do with more detail under the bodywork, but I've never been able to bother... And that rear wing assembly is molded as one piece!
You should clear coat your models, especially the decal areas (ie., the bodywork), as this will keep the decals from yellowing. I have a Tamiya Ferrari F189 I did over 25 years ago that the decals haven't yellowed.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSxMe222KedKf2KcF6ONdIg

Not the best job I've ever done (but I built this kit in 1992 or 1993...), but this was probably the first (maybe second) kit that I built not to shoot with a BB gun or blow up with firecrackers. :lol: This one has a light clear coat of Tamiya Clear over it. Had no clue what I was doing back then (still don't, really), but clearing your model's bodywork will protect the paint and the decals.

I took a few pics after I cleaned it up - it was covered in dust - So I finally got a display case for it.

Found a couple more. Kind of a weird one, when I first got my spray booth and decided to clean up this model (I almost threw it away...)

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQxBBFiWp74CNun2OMxU648

Here you can see the suspension arms weren't completely cleaned up yet.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUTfTD-Q3nhDWJuM_EAkjypA

And yes, missing a GO there... obviously not any clear there, or not nearly enough. I do remember that this was the first kit I did a clear coat. First Tamiya kit and the guy where I bought it from (it was a LHS that did R/C too) suggested I do the clear over it.

Last edited:

BTW, here are some Rene Arnoux replacement decals
And I think you can get the MP4/6 decals from either Hiroboy (out of UK), or SpotModel (out of Spain). Have ordered from both many times without a problem.

The only model I ever clearcoated, the clearcoat yellowed... I never did it again. Maybe is was cheap clearcoat or something. Couldn't begin to tell you what brand, But I will keep

Last edited:
The way things are now there's simply no reason not to clear coat. There are a variety of great brands offering all kinds of clear coats. Spray can or for airbrush. Acrylic or lacquer. UV resistant etc etc.
I've been getting on very well with Hataka brand lacquer clear coat. I stay away from acrylic clear coats because I find they take way too long to fully cure (not dry, but cure. There is a difference and that difference can be up to a few months). Tamiya spray can clear coat is also excellent.
A clear coat just provides so many positives. An important one being the protection of decals from the sun, time, handling, polishing etc. Good stuff.

I stay away from acrylic clear coats because I find they take way too long to fully cure (not dry, but cure. There is a difference and that difference can be up to a few months).
Speaking of acrylic paints, does anybody here know if coloured/pigmented paints take an equally long time to cure compared to their clear counterparts? I sprayed some Mr Hobby acrylic clear (the green canned one) out of a spray can onto my car body, and masked the entire body off in order to spray the engine bay with Tamiya’s XF-1 using an airbrush. Waited around 1 to 1.5 months before masking, but still, after I have sprayed the XF-1, done the detail painting, and taken off the masking tape, this happens:

157A503C-CDE0-4BA5-99A9-F2A5376F58CB.jpeg

At that moment I knew I screwed up.

My available options are, as I understand: sand down the entire thing until none of those masking tape marks are visible, leaving only the matte black bits untouched, and then spraying another layer of clear (acrylic or lacquer, I haven’t decided yet, but I’ll probably go with the latter because lacquer just seems more durable), or just forgoing all the sanding and proceed straight to spraying. I know this is a risky process (because lacquer over acrylic), but I’ll have to push ahead, and I’ll never strip the paint again because 1) there are already decals over the body (no replacement unfortunately) and 2) I’ve done it more than once with this body, and broken the beam connecting the A-pillars. Stripping the paint and scrubbing it with a toothbrush (or anything, really) is likely only gonna break the beam even more or even detach it to the point of irrepairability.

My only concern is I’d have to mask off the matte bits, but the matte bits are also painted with acrylic paints, so I fear the exact same happening to my engine bay, which, given its convoluted surface and if that happens, will be absolutely impossible to fix.

To cast a brighter light, there is some progress though. The engine and the underbody are completely done now. Some pics of the engine before it was cemented onto the chassis piece:

95940CFA-6E79-4E14-A070-06DE53E62F6F.jpeg

The belt bits are pretty nicely done, which is a shame if you consider that they won’t be visible at all once the entire car is assembled. :lol:

Here’s the engine in its current state:

image.jpg

And here’s a pic of the underbody:

image.jpg

I’m not planning to cement the underbody cover, because I don’t want the details to be forever hidden behind it. I think I’m probably gonna just loosely attach it with a masking tape.

So yeah, that’s pretty much it. :)

And... what is it? Who made the kit, what scale, anything you did that's not in the kit, etc.?

And... what is it? Who made the kit, what scale, anything you did that's not in the kit, etc.?
Dragon models 1/6 scale 1/4 Ton Willis Jeep.

It also comes with a .50 Cal Machine Gun which I did not build yet.
I opted to paint it in the desert Tan color instead of the intended military green.

The lights are my addition they are not part of the kit. I 3D printed a battery holder that fits in the engine bay. The model does not come with an engine, so the engine bay is virtually empty anyway.

Interesting fact that the tyres are pre-installed on the wheels and are impossible to get off, so masking them for painting was PITA.

Also one sixth scale Ellie can sit comfortably in it :)

7.jpg

Nice job.

What scale & who makes the kit?

I have the Revell 1/24 version of this, as well as the Meng 1/24 1966 Le Mans 24hr winner in my stash.
It's the 1/24 scale Fujimi kit. I believe the Revell is a rebox of the Fujimi so should be the same as mine. The Meng is a newer mold.
It's a pretty good kit though beware if you attach the front bottom lamps without thinning them out first, the clear plastic cover will not fit. I sanded the back side of the lamp housing first. Also the rear wheels are a little wobbly which isn't a problem for a static model, but they'll move around if you try and roll it.

Back