General Model Kit Building Thread

So quick question. My dream car has always been the Dodge Viper, ever since I saw it back in 1990 in a magazine. Is there any decent Viper kits out there? I got a couple to try them out, but they have a few details I am not too excited about. There's got to be a better one out there, I just haven't found it. Maybe a retooled version of these that I don't know of?

So first up it's a very old AMT kit, which coincidentally I had as a kid. I mean, back then I had no dexterity to properly build a kit, so it was absolute trash. So it's nice to give myself a second chance, like 30 years later. I'm surprised how well kept this thing is, considering it is apparently not a reissue. It is a 30 year old kit. I was actually impressed with the detail down the frame, suspension parts, steering, brakes and engine, but there are a few things that I really hate about it, like the headlights, the lack of decals and the wheels which are improperly scaled; they are too small (funny enough, the actual tire is the right size). The car just looks odd when finished. Probably why they don't show it on the box.
View attachment 1009084

So I went ahead and go myself this Monogram kit, which build, it looks pretty spot on. However, it does have its negative points as well. Mainly the molding looks less detailed than the AMT. The engine is one solid plastic block with no separate parts, there is no steering, and the rear quarter of the car for some reason is part of the interior piece instead of the body as it should. So there is a weird indentation and an incorrect panel gap on the body below the rollbar.
View attachment 1009085

Also, I got this Revell GTS to have both original Viper models. It seems to be identical to the Monogram kit. Nothing special about it. It looks good when finished, except it has the wrong steering wheel, which for some reason I've seen in various Viper GTS models of different brands. Another thing that scares me is dealing with the body stripes.
View attachment 1009087

So leaving the GTS aside, I'm wondering if I can experiment a bit and modify the RT/10 to use the best parts of both models. Mainly see if I can somehow adapt the wheels and tires of the Monogram kit into the AMT, as well as the front bumper and headlight assembly which looks more correct. That or just keep on looking for a better kit. Either an RT/10 or a GTS. It doesn't have to be both.
If you want to create the best model you can with those kits, I would definitely kit bash them. That’s when the creativity and challenges of modeling is enhanced.

All the models I have built in the past have been spray painted with spray cans using mist coats to build up color. This has led to undesirable/unavoidable orange peel in the paint that needs to be wet sanded.

I want to avoid as much orange peel as possible on this model due to large amount of body panels. So I’ve been practicing spraying wet coats about 5 inches away moving very fast. First spoon I had some runs but because I was too slow. Last three spoons came out acceptable in my eyes.

This is Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red straight from the can with no polishing or clear coat:
View attachment 1008717 View attachment 1008714 View attachment 1008716 View attachment 1008715

I've recently had a second look at painting with spray cans as well. I've not been using them much since getting an airbrush, but I recently saw a video which made me rethink that.
The basic thing I was missing was just how quickly you should be moving and spraying with them. As soon as you layer on too much paint you're bound to get orange peel or runs. Check the video, maybe you'll learn something too.

Except I'm using cheap hardware store spray cans. Black for example since it's so useful. The finish isn't as nice but it doesn't matter if you clear coat over it anyway. Or if you use it as a base coat.

Last edited:
2021, the year of 1/35 scale air craft, FINALLY!!! We've only had helicopters, reconnaissance planes, gliders and experimental aircraft at this scale.

This means I can finally do an airfield diorama with properly scaled planes!!!!

Previously I was only going to do a small airfield with the stork reconnaissance plane, a cute little AA truck and some technicians and tents:

1016287-10244-60-pristine.jpg

ICM-35584.jpg

But now that Border Model is making the BF-109 and Ju87 in 1/35 scale I can make a proper air field lineup with technicians, tents, tools, field kitchen, workbench, weapon carriers, etc.

1328397-24719-22-pristine.jpg

The Stuka doesn't have a release date yet but the BF-109 has already been released.

1324228-23523-35-720.jpg

excited.gif

Last edited:
I'm getting so close! But just when I feel I'm about to finish it, I realize I have like 10 other things to do to it. As for parts, only the headlights, front wipers, front plate holder and side mirrors are left. And of course some detailing, panel gap painting and some nice detail cleaning and waxing.

20210506_134938.jpg

20210508_145637.jpg

20210508_145703.jpg

20210508_145947.jpg

20210508_151230.jpg

Interior and all glass parts are finally in place.

20210508_171302.jpg

Not too long after I got the rear pretty much finished, except for the GT-R logo (I have to figure that out), and the license plate decal. And man, I absolutely love that panel gap paint. It saved me the pain of having to clean those gaps, as well as giving everything some depth and definition. It also made the Skyline lettering pop out a bit without being too obvious.
20210508_171703.jpg

The front has some work to be done. Brake booster (I totally forgot about it), installing the headlights after the silver paint is dry. The front chin spoiler is done.
20210508_171758.jpg

If there is something I did not like about this kit is the decals. I should've waited for the decal setting solution. The Skyline logos on the wheel hubs were an absolute failure. Not only one fell off (of course it's absolutely lost), but two of the gauges would not fit on the dashboard. I only managed to push the boost gauge and the main gauges. I had to get creative and kind of draw the Skyline logo on the hubs. I'm glad it worked. You can't notice unless you looks close. Thankfully the one on the hood and the red GT emblems came out fine.

2021, the year of 1/35 scale air craft, FINALLY!!! We've only had helicopters, reconnaissance planes, gliders and experimental aircraft at this scale.

This means I can finally do an airfield diorama with properly scaled planes!!!!

Previously I was only going to do a small airfield with the stork reconnaissance plane, a cute little AA truck and some technicians and tents:

1016287-10244-60-pristine.jpg

ICM-35584.jpg

But now that Border Model is making the BF-109 and Ju87 in 1/35 scale I can make a proper air field lineup with technicians, tents, tools, field kitchen, workbench, weapon carriers, etc.

1328397-24719-22-pristine.jpg

The Stuka doesn't have a release date yet but the BF-109 has already been released.

1324228-23523-35-720.jpg

excited.gif
What are you going to use as a base for the diorama? A wood block or particleboard?

Last edited:
What are you going to use as a base for the diorama? A wood block or particleboard?
Depends on whether I'm going for a field or tarmac. If it's tarmac, I'm leaning towards particle board and plaster; if it's a field, I'll go for foam to contour the surroundings a little. Either way I'm going to be using a lot of putty :/

I'll get to work on it this summer. Still have to wait for the Stuka and Gustav to release to the public. For now, I'm gathering materials while vicariously scratching that modelling itch through the submissions in this thread :lol:

Last edited:
The Tamiya panel line accent works well but I saw this video as well:

He didn't show how he used it, but I can think of a few more uses for that marker if they have it in various colors. I feel the panel wash from Tamiya works pretty good. And it takes just a few seconds to use. The only downside is that you absolutely need a steady hand and brush the excess off before applying or you'll definitely mess up the paint.

or you'll definitely mess up the paint.

This shouldn't be a concern. Panel liners are enamel washes. You can just use enamel spirit to wipe it off without worrying about the paint. Enamel and oil washes are the two mediums were you can be sloppy and clean it up later without affecting the previous layers.

Last edited:
This shouldn't be a concern. Panel liners are enamel washes. You can just use enamel spirit to wipe it off without worrying about the paint. Enamel and oil washes are the two mediums were you can be sloppy and clean it up later without affecting the previous layers.
Yes but what if your paint is enamel based?

I haven't posted any updates here on the HMS bounty in aaages. Might wanna fix that. Last I posted here I had only glued together the two hull halves and the deck. Didn't even paint the masts or glue most of the stuff to the deck.

DSCN1737.JPG

Bam, look at her now. Got a ton of work done on it. The masts, the deck details and a lot of very fiddly rigging. The shrouds (the net looking things) took dozens of hours to do.
And since I took this picture I've done more work. Three of the sails are already on and rigged! No pictures of that yet though.

20210407_231232.jpg

DSCN1689.JPG

DSCN1691.JPG

DSCN1692.JPG

DSCN1649.JPG

@Apok I love it. I commend your tenacity. I know for a fact I would've given up during the rigging, that looks like a tedious nightmare, dare I say, worse than tank tracks on a Dragon kit.

I always appreciate ship models because of the amount of work and passion that goes into them. I would be so lost on where to even begin. 👍

@HuskyGT your scale model collection is growing by the week!! 👍 Well done!

Like I've said before in this thread, don't let the cat at it!!!!! :lol: :mad:

50182721462_1b1547a73e_b.jpg

Irony is we actually got a cat during the course of me building the Bounty... nothing yet but maybe he's waiting for me to finish it :scared:

Some progress done! This kit is a bit different because the instructions want me to build it starting from the back. That is why I haven't done the engine. Also got to try the body color. Despite I got the wrong red (Red Mica), since I didn't know Tamiya had the actual Supra's Super Red IV, this turned out really beautiful! And this is only for the engine bay, so there's no primer, or clear coat. Just flat finish.

20210519_200906.jpg

20210519_201008.jpg

20210519_181739.jpg

20210519_200807.jpg

Finished this one up a week or so ago. Not super happy with the results, did a ton of work to try and get the front end to look decent. There is a massive gap between the front bumper and the hood and a big gap between the bumper and front side panels. It's just that way out of the box and I did a lot of work trying to fix it. In the end the hood is still sitting a little tall from the rest of the bodywork. Bleh.
The paintjob also went all sorts of wrong so now the bodywork is a slightly different shade to the rest of the car... great.

DSCN1788_big.jpg

I am happy I managed to make the front hood open. It's engineered that way out of the box, but it doesn't work and would only open about 30 degrees if I didn't do some modifications to the hinge system. The doors slide up and down and the trunk opens out of the box too, which is a cool part of this kit.

DSCN1789.JPG

The engine bay also looks quite nice out of the box. There is a lot to like about this kit, which is why it's so frustrating that it falls short on the bodywork fit issues.

DSCN1790.JPG

DSCN1793.JPG

I am still working on the HMS Bounty as well. All the sails are finally on and now it just needs some more rigging... that'll probably be a couple dozen more hours.

I've also started a new kit since the BMW is finished. a 1/72 scale Morane Saulnier MS 410 WW2 fighter plane in Finnish markings.
Not too much to show, but I filled in the exhaust holes as I don't like the kit pieces. Will drill new holes and fabricate the exhaust. I've also opened up the front intake on both sides. I'm planning on making a base for this so it looks like an airfield on a frozen lake. Like this.
DSCN1805.JPG

It's just that way out of the box and I did a lot of work trying to fix it. In the end the hood is still sitting a little tall from the rest of the bodywork. Bleh.

You probably achieved better fitment than the real thing :P

I am still working on the HMS Bounty as well. All the sails are finally on and now it just needs some more rigging... that'll probably be a couple dozen more hours.

But it will be worth it. It's a gorgeous model 👍

a 1/72 scale Morane Saulnier MS 410 WW2 fighter plane in Finnish markings.

Can't wait! Just in time for this kit to be released:

l_72064_Landsverk_L-62.jpg

Last edited:
Finished this one up a week or so ago. Not super happy with the results, did a ton of work to try and get the front end to look decent. There is a massive gap between the front bumper and the hood and a big gap between the bumper and front side panels. It's just that way out of the box and I did a lot of work trying to fix it. In the end the hood is still sitting a little tall from the rest of the bodywork. Bleh.
The paintjob also went all sorts of wrong so now the bodywork is a slightly different shade to the rest of the car... great.

View attachment 1015425

I am happy I managed to make the front hood open. It's engineered that way out of the box, but it doesn't work and would only open about 30 degrees if I didn't do some modifications to the hinge system. The doors slide up and down and the trunk opens out of the box too, which is a cool part of this kit.

View attachment 1015426

The engine bay also looks quite nice out of the box. There is a lot to like about this kit, which is why it's so frustrating that it falls short on the bodywork fit issues.

View attachment 1015427

View attachment 1015428

I've also started a new kit since the BMW is finished. a 1/72 scale Morane Saulnier MS 410 WW2 fighter plane in Finnish markings.
Not too much to show, but I filled in the exhaust holes as I don't like the kit pieces. Will drill new holes and fabricate the exhaust. I've also opened up the front intake on both sides. I'm planning on making a base for this so it looks like an airfield on a frozen lake. Like this.
View attachment 1015429

A Z1! What kit is this? I love that it has opening hood, trunk and even those weird downward sliding doors. it looks really good in that purple!

Back