Gran Turismo 6 Online End of Service

• Thread starter regnar
  • 345 comments
Meanwhile, Forza Motorsport 2’s servers are still online, and that game is 10 years old.
Not 100% true though is it?

Auction house and online achievements are not working anymore since a while back when they shut down some of the online portions of Forza 2.
Same with Forza 3 where you cannot upload anything related to photos or videos. Also tuning setups and designs cant be uploaded.

However, I completely agree with the point people are making that older games still have active online servers and so should GT6 for at least another couple of years, if not more.

:lol::lol::lol:

Imagine when this happens to GT Sport. The game will literally become useless after the next GT releases. No saving, no nothing. What a 🤬 company. Just to be clear though, anyone who has purchased GT Sport has no right what so ever to complain when that happens. After all, by purchasing it, they sent a loud and clear message to PD that this is okay.

Last edited:
Not 100% true though is it?

Auction house and online achievements are not working anymore since a while back when they shut down some of the online portions of Forza 2.
Same with Forza 3 where you cannot upload anything related to photos or videos. Also tuning setups and designs cant be uploaded.

However, I completely agree with the point people are making that older games still have active online servers and so should GT6 for at least another couple of years, if not more.

You can still play multiplayer in Forza 2. (The only achievement impossible to get now is the auction house one.) That’s more than what you’ll be able to do in GT6 once its servers are shut down.

All of Forza 3’s online services are still available. I even got the achievement for selling a tune or design on the storefront earlier this year.

I may be having a thick moment here, but what does it mean by the end of distributing downloadable content on January the 28th?

What breaks me the most is the custom courses made with the Track Path Editor. All of those courses are going to become lost in time unless we archive them, and the only way I know how is to save a replay that features the course. The feature is printed on the back of the box, and now anyone who ever wanted to pick the game up will be without that feature and functionality. Two years plus of development time and then finally arriving in late 2015, and two years is apparently enough time for everyone to have experienced the Track Path Editor and all of the amazing courses that have been made with official or unofficial applications and tools?

If another title update comes out for GT6, like one did for GT5 to address the Downloadable Content offline availability issue, I would like to hope that it addresses the availability of custom courses to be played offline, or you could export the course files to your hard drive (very doubtful that would happen, as an update would need to be released before the closure date). You need to be signed-on to PSN to access the courses, which are part of the game's online services (they are stored server-side). With the services coming to an end, all of these courses are going to vanish without a trace.

I feel compelled to download every course I found interesting and save a replay of it before the services come to an end. There's been a lot of creations by a lot of people that have wowed me, especially the recreations of courses from other games, let alone other Gran Turismo games. I was hopeful that they would somehow allow any functionality of the Track Path Editor (apart from the Sample courses) to be used offline, but looks like it's not gonna happen. :(

I'll have to break out my wheel and my PS3 and savor the content before it withers away forever. While not as exciting as Gran Turismo 5's online experience, it was exciting to enjoy the new content for Gran Turismo 6 as it came out, with a taste of the Track Path Editor via the Sierra circuit which then led up to its eventual release. It will be greatly missed by many players, myself included...

Wonder why they didnt just take the Seasonals offline first, and leave the lobbies up for people to fart about in, at least up until Summer time or something?.... They started by doing that in GT5(cutting the Seasonals to one TT/Drift every 2 weeks), then a nice 6 months to mess around until Summer.... That would have got people use the idea it was going offline, Three months is way too harsh. It was bad enough to stomach waiting a whole month for the Seasonals to cycle, now this.

. Had to be online as well in GT6 or it didn't save at least that is how i remember it so it's no different in GT Sport. Don't remember the Saving word come up if the servers went offline as well in GT6.

You could save offline in GT6 dude.....

Moved on to Sport months ago, the online experience is that game is vastly superior IMO, so I'm not missing much from this news. Anyways, I played GT6 mostly offline anyways. Press F to pay respects.

I knew that this would happen. Besides doing the Seasonal Events I haven't touched GT6 that much. I will play it for the Memories like i do with GT5 and the games before. Hopefully this means GT Sport will be focused on for more great content.

This is stupid. Sigh, I suppose this is a dated game after all, but even GTA IV for example still got players somehow.

I've platinum'd GT6 at the very least, and did 100% the game literally, too. But the times I've ha din online for some months now, will make me miss them.

And GT Sport is pure garbage. I'm sure the joke known as PD must think they will get an increase in sales of yet another unfinished release.
GT Sport rocks. Time to move forward or get left behind.

Imagine when this happens to GT Sport. The game will literally become useless after the next GT releases. No saving, no nothing. What a 🤬 company. Just to be clear though, anyone who has purchased GT Sport has no right what so ever to complain when that happens. After all, by purchasing it, they sent a loud and clear message to PD that this is okay.
When that happens a new GT will be out. Will move on to that one and never look back.

Last edited by a moderator:
When that happens a new GT will be out. Will move on to that one and never look back.

I just really don't understand that mindset. Why would anyone be okay with buying a game that has single player content, but also has an expiration date. I still own my PS2 and still play games on it and have a blast doing so. Same for my PS3. With games like GT Sport, this will become impossible, because the entire game require online connectivity. It's not like this online requirement for single player content offers any advantage to consumers what so ever. On the contrary, it only serves to limit the content.

I just really don't understand that mindset. Why would anyone be okay with buying a game that has single player content, but also has an expiration date. I still own my PS2 and still play games on it and have a blast doing so. Same for my PS3. With games like GT Sport, this will become impossible, because the entire game require online connectivity. It's not like this online requirement for single player content offers any advantage to consumers what so ever. On the contrary, it only serves to limit the content.
The entire game does not require online connection. Why play a PS2 or 3 when you have a PS4? Its like using your old slow computer when you have a newer faster one. I have a PlayStation 1 thru 4. All put away except the 4

Why play a PS2 or 3 when you have a PS4?
1) It can be fun to go back to some old-school games and play them again just for the nostalgia.
2) Maybe the latest game of a series sucks, so they'd rather play the older games.
3) You get a chance to play a game that you might have never had. (Ex: someone might have started with GT6 and they want to try out GT4, 5, etc.)

Why play a PS2 or 3 when you have a PS4?

Because console makers don't seen backwards capability as something that's needed for whatever reason. I have almost all my old systems hooked up so I can play the games I enjoy without either having to re-buy them or hope they end up in one of the stores.

I also have an old PC I built from eBay parts so I can play old games there too.

the online experience is that game is vastly superior IMO, so I'm not missing much from this news.

This absolutely as far as I'm concerned.

It'll be sad to see GT6's servers shut down, but it's really isn't a surprise. I've been expected such an announcement to be made now that the switch to GTS has been made, was just a case of when. So I don't really see why many see this as a massive disappointment and a big surprise, but maybe that's just me.

Otherwise I've had some great memories of racing online on GT6, meeting new people and having some cracking racing on the whole, with thousands of hours plunged into it. Whilst GT6 may not be the best installment of the series, it was and still is a fantastic game, that provided me with a great deal of enoyment and I'll continue to come back to it every so often until they shut it down for good. Will be interesting to see if they do some special seasonal events that give you rewards in GTS, much like what they did before they shut down GT5.

Either way, thanks for the memories GT6, had some great fun and I certainly got my money's worth :cheers:.

Sad thing for me to see that news also. I was waiting for it to happen though. Biggest loss is being unable to play the tracks made by other users through the track editor. If anyone knows if this is correct or not please reply.

You can’t say to anyone what right they don’t have, whether it be on GTPlanet or in real life. You are not a mod. People can complain and criticise the game as much as they want. That’s because they have this cool little right called “Freedom of Speech”.

People bought this game not knowing that online saving and online-only were actually going to be a thing (that is of course if they didn’t play the demo). People have criticised this, and some changes were made by PD (although online saving remains standing, screw you Kaz).

I think PD will implement offline saving once this game’s servers close. I think. I think optimistically. :sly:

Is the Vision GT program even complete in GT6? Last I checked (a few months ago), it still wasn't. What a wasted use of resources. So then, GT6 will be completed "incomplete"... what a joke.

Last edited:
The entire game does not require online connection. Why play a PS2 or 3 when you have a PS4? Its like using your old slow computer when you have a newer faster one. I have a PlayStation 1 thru 4. All put away except the 4

Graphics are not everything. A good game will always be a good game. This "only last years model is good enough" mentality is bad all around.

For me, this is the end of a long-term loyalty to Gran Turismo. This is a shame, I've been waiting for a long time for the release of the trackpath-editor. Then I was disappointed about this app-solution. And now, only 2 years later, you can't use it, because they shut down the server. I was a costumer of Polyphony and I will not forget it! They can do what they want, I will not buy GT Sport - because this is the same. If they shut down the server, you will be not able to play the full game! For me, the alternative product is Project Cars 2, a really good game, not perfect, but better then the new Polyphony-products.

You can still play multiplayer in Forza 2. (The only achievement impossible to get now is the auction house one.) That’s more than what you’ll be able to do in GT6 once its servers are shut down.

All of Forza 3’s online services are still available. I even got the achievement for selling a tune or design on the storefront earlier this year.
Never said you couldn't play multiplayer did I?

I know I said online achievements, but the 1,000,000 credits in multiplayer is still a far stretch today.

------

I tried to get the Forza 3 storefront achievements for over 4 months straight.
Every. Single. Day.
Multiple times a day.

Not working.

People have the same "problem" on the Forza forums. Probably poorly maintenanced servers.

All of this is of course frustrating as you cannot possibly max out the Forza Rewards now, unless you've completed these achievements when they were obtainable.

My point still stands. It would be alot better for the Gran Turismo community to keep the GT6 servers operative for the upcoming years.

Back