Gran Turismo 6 Online End of Service

• Thread starter regnar
  • 345 comments
I'll add this to my list of "Reasons I'll never buy another GT game".

Just another sob story from here so feel free to skip the rest.

GT6 is the only PS3 game that I've been playing for 3 years, and that reason is because of the many fantastic friends I have made since GT5's first year who I still race with regularly today. Most of us met through shuffle racing and that was what we all primarily did with the game, night in, night out.

However we all had to downgrade to GT6 after they shut 5's servers off. It was a downgrade to us because they decided to strip shuffle racing from GT6 for whatever bitchy reason. We had to make our own shuffle racing up but we have enjoyed years of close, fun racing with hilarious conversations, moments, arguments and so on. I feel more of a bond with these guys than numerous "real life" friends and I'll feel incredibly empty and at the end of an era when we'll no longer be able to race and chat together. There may only be 9 or so left in our group that show up regularly, not one of us have any plans on picking up a PS4, let alone GT Sport.

I have been such a massive fan of GT up until number 6, it's the reason I bought a PS2 and PS3. Since the release of 6 it's been disappointment after disappointment for me with the many ill (in my opinion) choices being made within the franchise. I guess once the servers are up that'll make me a pure PC gamer from then on, as anything older than the PS3 that I still play I have emulated (legally!).

I honestly expected this game's servers to be kicking around in 2020 still, what a damn shame. I still see new names joining the room every week for goodness sake! Makes you wonder how those GT Sport sales numbers are going.

This thread is kind of a complete copy of the GT5 EOL thread.

Here's two perfectly decent games ended before their time. I'm sad that they will never finish out the VGT series.

I also think these things are flat out unemotional business decisions... there will come a day when Microsoft doesnt want to support Forza 5/6 the same witht this.

The economic model is also suspect I guess. I bought GT6 Xmas 2013 for $25 usd and really, what did I expect.

This is just absolutely shocking, atlest for me and quite lot of others.

One part of reason why the GT5 server shutdown over GT6 run so smoothly back then is the core isn't much changed. You still get enormous car collections, track lists, single player content, course maker, and most importantly offline save, not kind of focus you get on GTSport. I expect them to keep GT6 server intact so the players has a choice between PS3, single player focus with lots of content and newer gen PS4, multiplayer focus with orderly multiplayer.

Alas. Screw this. I have no words. Bet 100% they still have the budget to keep the server but choose not to. This is just forcing at this point.

Does it really though? I mean this gets into the "games as a service" thing but the world moves on... like if I paid $25 for GT6 and got 4yrs out of it then I reckon I got value.

I suppose GT Sport goes to far with needing to be online to save game but every game gets superceded eventually.

Not being able to download any of the patches and whatever is kind of a bit of a crummy move though.

I have a copy of GT5 Prologue and I would love to see what the fuss is but alas, Sony says no to retaining any old content.

Like tears in the rain.

Burnout Paradise, a game that will be 10 years old in January, still has online servers. That game was made by EA who is stereotyped to be greedy. It may not look the best on PD's part shutting down a popular games servers after about four and a half years when some games whose franchises don't even exist anymore will have servers up for over 10 years.

The same happens with NFS Shift & Shift 2U

I think its not all that much about "saving money per se" but rather moving people to GT Sport.

Look back to GT5. They didnt do it necessarily because GT5 was 'old tech'... its the same tech as GT6!

But rather... BUY OUR NEW GAME. BUY OUR NEW CONSOLE. IT's GOOD FOR SONY. IT'S OK FOR YOU. IT'S BAD FOR YOUR WALLET.

Mostly disappointed the TPE won’t be functional after the servers close. This means cramming as much time with GT6 before the end. But to be honest I haven’t really touched GT6 since last summer when I finally got a PS4.

Still, PD needs to release another TPE on GTS. Without question it needs to make an appearance. Kaz did say GTS wasn’t losing any features from past titles and that only more would be added. We’ll see.

For whoever wordered about who and why need GT6 online to keep working, I have to say one main reason: I want to drive a great variety of cars in a Gran Turismo game with a good physics engine on any circuit I want and not on just a few available now or in future with a small variety of cars compared to GT6. Graphics (referring to it as a con only for the standard models in GT6) isn't the main reason to play this genre of games either. And since there isn't any way to play with fuel and tire delpetion in single offline mode, there is another reason why they had to keep the servers of GT6 online for at least 1-2 years more.

Graphics are not everything. A good game will always be a good game. This "only last years model is good enough" mentality is bad all around.
Not in the computer world. Get a PS4, GT Sport, and move on.

This is also the world where retro gaming has been growing exponentially, so obviously yours is not a common mindset. Not to mention not everyone can afford to go out on drop hundreds of dollars on a new console and games.
Nope, I don't have a common mind.

Maybe someday you will still be able to play GT6 at the Smithsonian.

Last edited by a moderator:
End of an era. Gran Turismo 6 got me into sim racing. I'm not surprised that they are closing the servers nor am I upset about it cause I already moved on to Gran Turismo Sport.

This is also the world where retro gaming has been growing exponentially, so obviously yours is not a common mindset. Not to mention not everyone can afford to go out on drop hundreds of dollars on a new console and games.

Exactly.

Whilst I'll continue to buy and play the latest iteration of games on the latest consoles, I'll also certainly continue to play or the older games in the collection. I really don't buy the notion that just because the latest installment all the older generation of games become obsolete, new doesn't necessarily mean better. Though in the case of GT and GTS, I believe GTS is a better package on the whole.

Otherwise I still break out the stuff, mostly the older PS1 stuff, with GT2 being the most recent example. The graphical differences really don't bother me, as I'll play a game because I enjoy it, and more often than not the older games offer something their newer counterparts.

Last edited:
Oh come on, poor Sony doesn't have money to pay a bunch of lame P2P servers for another year for their main racing title on PS3 which is only 4 years old? But they have money to keep MotorStorm servers up and running?
And the announcement came just after Christmas not upsetting people while shopping PS4 + GT Sport bundle for holiday time?
And I tought EA was lame, this is beyond lameness.

*The amount of stinginess is too damn high* meme anyone?
To be fair 75% of motorstorms cars are locked behind the online mode.

It's had a great run, I've had so much fun with it.
Although its a bit early to shut down the servers just 5 months after the successor release, I really do feel it's time.

When GT5 servers closed I was mad because I was collecting cars and since you could only transfer 1 car per day (stupid af), it was a true sprint to be able to collect all cars with 0 mileage. In the end I made it with just 5 days to go, with loads and loads and loads of help from people over in the now defunct GT5 Marketplace. (I'm still massively gratefull for this @AWOL 08 ,@fordlaser ,@robbyboy21 ,@Antmeg26 ,@Wantok . I'll never forget it!!)

GT6 however, does not have this problem as all cars are available for purchase in 0/0/0 condition from the dealsership. And that means there is'nt really anything more to do in the game besides the seasonal events, wich will also come to an end. The seasonal events has all along been my little baby, as I've been doing every single one of them from launch back in 2013, all the way to today I've not missed a single one. And in the process, bagged 7 world records, around 50 podiums, and a whopping 150 top 10 results!

But, that all have to come to an end, and as I said, it is time to put GT6 to rest. It's been one hell of a run.:)

Last edited:
At some point Sony will pull the plug on all the PS3 servers just like they did with the PS2.
Except the PS2 didn't use PSN and PSN is being used by all the systems that supports it.

ps: about MotorStorm Apocalypse, you can unlock all cars/parts and level up by yourself with literally just two controllers and a coin.

Not in the computer world. Get a PS4, GT Sport, and move on.
In the COMPUTER WORLD there is people like me that still plays oldies like GTR or GTL
It's called RETROGAMING and it's so strong that Nintedo made a new version of their old consoles packed with 20/30 classics each and they are selling a lot
What you are referring to is the CONSOLE CORPORATION WORLD where they want you to trow away all you had in the last 6/7 years (games, controllers, consolles, everything) to buy all thing AGAIN even if the old ones were stil working and giving you a lot of fun

Last edited:
Online support or not, will continue to play GT6.

I've got a PS4 as well which qualifies me to buy & play GT Sport but due to less number of vehicles, tracks & offline content, I'll pass buying it. I had bought PS4 for F1 2017 game though. But after 1 month of PS4 usgae, I missed GT6 enough to pack my PS4 & unpack my PS3 to again start playing GT6.

Ofcourse with most of my game complete, I look forward to seasonals as I dig TT's. Even if the online support ceases, there is still so much offline content to play in. As for GT Sport, till a good amount of offline content is not included, I'll stick to GT6. This game is beyond great & keeps me sane when playing it on a regular basis.

I called this one awhile ago... honestly after how they cut off GT5 early it should have come as no surprise. Anyway, for those that aren’t gonna run to GTS anytime soon may I suggest heading back to GT5 v2.11 for those that want extra offline fun.

What's the "extra fun" of version 2.11? And if you go back to v2.11, don't you miss all DLC? Because I really like to drive the Ferrari F1 cars at Spa-Francorchamps

What's the "extra fun" of version 2.11? And if you go back to v2.11, don't you miss all DLC? Because I really like to drive the Ferrari F1 cars at Spa-Francorchamps

Researching this kind of topic here on GTP, you should be able to find most answers and/or information to these type of questions...

Iv only started playing this again in october with the aim of collecting all the exclusive seasonal paints. So far i need around 60 more, with the servers closing i wont get them all.

I suppose the only course of action is to find someone who can hack the game and get them that way.

Researching this kind of topic here on GTP, you should be able to find most answers and/or information to these type of questions...

Is it just because the hacked cars? Maybe for others it is a good reason. I think the dlc cars and tracks are worth more. So again, why to downgrade to v2.11.
BTW commentssections of old articles like updates are not available anymore, because that was the first thing I searched for.

Actually hybriding your cars to real life specs, to racers adds a feel of realism to a GT game in my opinion. Who cares for the 5 or so DLC cars at least we can recreate some good muscle drags and other stuff. I say V2.11 has pretty good content that anyone can enjoy. If you want the DLC cars play GT6 because they reuse those.

As far as GT6 Modding goes, I believe someone out there might find the collections of the GT5 Special Paints used in the Seasonals after the servers go down. So I wouldn't worry about that at all if you are wondering.

The TPE tracks is what I'm mostly concerned about because you have no way of making or uploading them. Plus, that pretty much kills the Track Maker community as a whole.

Back