Gran Turismo 7 and GT Sport User Interface Fan Art

Thanks for the feedback, I was jst casually fooling around in InDesign to see if I can still do some stuff.

But hey, it seems like I can:

Very nice work Nico, love how you incorporated the trailer footage with crisp and clean boxes designs, it would be really awesome to see a moving version of this menu idea cycling through Sport Mode, GT mode and Arcade mode etc.

To wet people's appetites for the game.
I can try it in Aftereffects, but it may take me a little while to do! :sly:

Last edited:
License Center
gtlicense7.jpg

Icons and images are from google image search. Some with minor modification.
Racing Etiquette text from GTS, coffee cup.

Last edited:
Coincidentally I thought I would have a go at License Centre as well, mainly because I wanted to do a UI for a new idea and it reminded me it's one of the big things I personally have ideas for. To finally ditch the same basic format they've had since GT1 of doing ~60 short tests and make the whole process a lot closer to reality. No "Learn how to use the throttle, brakes, what a corner is" tests, because you would already know that from a regular driving lesson and in game if you don't, you can soon learn without a specific test. In the real world, you don't earn a race license by going round a corner under 26 seconds.

So anyway here is my mockup first, detailed explanation below if you are interested.

Early player progress

Complete progress/scrolled down

It is following roughly the process of a real world racing license (at least in the UK), minus the parts which either don't apply in a video game situation (Doing a medical) or that wouldn't be fun/practical (spending hours in a classroom and reading a 500 page guide). You'd instead start by simply going to a track day in a road car. This could probably start automatically in some way after getting your first car so its the first thing you do.

If you're already pretty competent, it would just be a few laps getting a feel for the new game, driving a circuit in your first road car with others on the track, no pressure. If you are a true beginner, it's where you'd learn the absolute basics with no fail mechanisms. Just stop when you've had enough.

Next up would be OPTIONAL tuition driving events. Whilst mandatory in the real world they absolutely must be optional in a game world so those of us who believe we're already competent enough in the driving part from past experience don't have to waste time, but they're there for those who are genuine beginners. These would be most like the old GT license tests except there would be no time goal, and instead of only putting the guidance in the pre-menu you would have an instructor in the car giving you live tips for whatever is being taught.

Then would be the MANDATORY racing rules and systems videos. GTS tried this but the two videos they included were frankly very poor. The videos should explain the different flags, the rules of racing, and actually explain with clear examples what is fair, and what isn't.

With those two short steps comes the final test, but again this is mimicking real life, not the old GT type tests. All you'd need to do is complete three clean laps of a circuit. The only requirements would be to stay on the track (instant fail if you go off), to stay on or close to the racing line above 75% and in a VERY modest time. As the UKMS website says, this would be about competence, not outright speed.

With that complete, you have your Clubman License. Whilst you only have this license, the novice yellow cross would be on the back of your car, offline and online.

msa_novice_sticker.jpg

Now is where it diverges massively from the old format, NO MORE TESTS! Instead, like the real world, you get higher grade licenses via experience and performance.

The values themselves are placeholder just to give you the idea, if it was done for real you'd have to balance them all so that people can progress through the career and earn licenses without having to re-do races over and over, so the mileage requirements would have to be adjusted to match a reasonable percentage of the race tier, and make the points easily doable by only finishing a percentage of all events in top 6, not win everything three times over or something.

Sadly I highly doubt PD are going to make changes anything close to this radical, but boy do I wish they would. It's not perfect by any means and I haven't put a huge amount of thought into it, but wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air instead of doing 1000-0 stopping tests which teach you nothing practical for the 7th time?

Coincidentally I thought I would have a go at License Centre as well, mainly because I wanted to do a UI for a new idea and it reminded me it's one of the big things I personally have ideas for. To finally ditch the same basic format they've had since GT1 of doing ~60 short tests and make the whole process a lot closer to reality. No "Learn how to use the throttle, brakes, what a corner is" tests, because you would already know that from a regular driving lesson and in game if you don't, you can soon learn without a specific test. In the real world, you don't earn a race license by going round a corner under 26 seconds.

So anyway here is my mockup first, detailed explanation below if you are interested.

Early player progress

Complete progress/scrolled down

It is following roughly the process of a real world racing license (at least in the UK), minus the parts which either don't apply in a video game situation (Doing a medical) or that wouldn't be fun/practical (spending hours in a classroom and reading a 500 page guide). You'd instead start by simply going to a track day in a road car. This could probably start automatically in some way after getting your first car so its the first thing you do.

If you're already pretty competent, it would just be a few laps getting a feel for the new game, driving a circuit in your first road car with others on the track, no pressure. If you are a true beginner, it's where you'd learn the absolute basics with no fail mechanisms. Just stop when you've had enough.

Next up would be OPTIONAL tuition driving events. Whilst mandatory in the real world they absolutely must be optional in a game world so those of us who believe we're already competent enough in the driving part from past experience don't have to waste time, but they're there for those who are genuine beginners. These would be most like the old GT license tests except there would be no time goal, and instead of only putting the guidance in the pre-menu you would have an instructor in the car giving you live tips for whatever is being taught.

Then would be the MANDATORY racing rules and systems videos. GTS tried this but the two videos they included were frankly very poor. The videos should explain the different flags, the rules of racing, and actually explain with clear examples what is fair, and what isn't.

With those two short steps comes the final test, but again this is mimicking real life, not the old GT type tests. All you'd need to do is complete three clean laps of a circuit. The only requirements would be to stay on the track (instant fail if you go off), to stay on or close to the racing line above 75% and in a VERY modest time. As the UKMS website says, this would be about competence, not outright speed.

With that complete, you have your Clubman License. Whilst you only have this license, the novice yellow cross would be on the back of your car, offline and online.

msa_novice_sticker.jpg

Now is where it diverges massively from the old format, NO MORE TESTS! Instead, like the real world, you get higher grade licenses via experience and performance.

The values themselves are placeholder just to give you the idea, if it was done for real you'd have to balance them all so that people can progress through the career and earn licenses without having to re-do races over and over, so the mileage requirements would have to be adjusted to match a reasonable percentage of the race tier, and make the points easily doable by only finishing a percentage of all events in top 6, not win everything three times over or something.

Sadly I highly doubt PD are going to make changes anything close to this radical, but boy do I wish they would. It's not perfect by any means and I haven't put a huge amount of thought into it, but wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air instead of doing 1000-0 stopping tests which teach you nothing practical for the 7th time?

Looks very website alike

However, good concept ideas of Licences something PD seriously lack makes me worried GT7 could be a copy paste GT with barely any innovations.

PD need to up the game if there still calling it "The real driving simulator".

Looks very website alike

However, good concept ideas of Licences something PD seriously lack makes me worried GT7 could be a copy paste GT with barely any innovations.

Heh yeah, web design is more my thing rather than UI, but it's still fun to try stuff.

I also have the feeling GT7 is just going to be copy/paste, going by the GT4 clone menu they showed, but we'll have to see. They innovated (somewhat) with GTS, now they need to do it with the core GT game.

OK I appreciate for trying to put thoughts on what you want something in the game to be, the Licenses here seems to be the in-game achievement tasks given by the console. But you also can blindly bash GT elements, where ironically what you suggest still had those elements, like where completing lap is what the final License tests do (well, though they're only 1 lap), and also staying on the track and instant fail when you go off is always present in GT Licenses. Also just want to say, where if GT is a CaRPG, then the License tests are the boss battles.

Looks very website alike

Technically, "the real driving simulator" would only require realistic physics. GT isn't hardcore but its appeal is its more accessibility to the players.

OK I appreciate for trying to put thoughts on what you want something in the game to be, the Licenses here seems to be the in-game achievement tasks given by the console. But you also can blindly bash GT elements, where ironically what you suggest still had those elements, like where completing lap is what the final License tests do (well, though they're only 1 lap), and also staying on the track and instant fail when you go off is always present in GT Licenses. Also just want to say, where if GT is a CaRPG, then the License tests are the boss battles.

Do you have any constructive comments other than "Wah, stop being critical of my beloved Gran Turismo!" like usual? Seriously dude, all you ever do is jump on me any time I ever dare to suggest something about GT could be improved or changed.

Also, try to read properly. What I "bashed" as you so eloquently put it is the process of earning license tests by doing 10 small driving challenges against a clock, including "tests" that teach you nothing practicle such as 1000-0 stopping tests or forcing everyone to do the absolute basics.

Some elements of those previous tests still exist because those are the parts that are synonymous with the real world process. If you want a real world beginners license then yes, your final test is competently driving laps of a circuit, not going off and staying on the racing line. That's why it's still there.

Last edited:
Heh yeah, web design is more my thing rather than UI, but it's still fun to try stuff.

I also have the feeling GT7 is just going to be copy/paste, going by the GT4 clone menu they showed, but we'll have to see. They innovated (somewhat) with GTS, now they need to do it with the core GT game.

Speaking of much needed innovation in GT, working on some fun UI concepts that revolve around online co-op options for Singleplayer championships, and driver changes with friends in endurance races. A feature that I've wanted in this game for a loooonggg time, but its never happened. Hopefully I can post those in this thread soon.

Last edited:
Do you have any constructive comments other than "Wah, stop being critical of my beloved Gran Turismo!" like usual? Seriously dude, all you ever do is jump on me any time I ever dare to suggest something about GT could be improved or changed.

Also, try to read properly. What I "bashed" as you so eloquently put it is the process of earning license tests by doing 10 small driving challenges against a clock, including "tests" that teach you nothing practicle such as 1000-0 stopping tests or forcing everyone to do the absolute basics.

Some elements of those previous tests still exist because those are the parts that are synonymous with the real world process. If you want a real world beginners license then yes, your final test is competently driving laps of a circuit, not going off and staying on the racing line. That's why it's still there.
Yeah, just as expected. Anyone who doesn't bash GT 24/7 and points out/corrects something good about something people bash will be considered a fanboy or apologist (you didn't directly use the word, but "stop being critical of my beloved GT" is that) regardless if it's true, I do give credit if someone got it wrong regarding them but I'm not fanboy. Like here, what actually happened is you can barely praise aspects of the game without some of the usual suspects coming out to tell you you’re wrong for doing that.

Like I'm not happy for something they do like removing Qualification or unfair penalty or standard/premium or less rim choices or reduced events/content in later GT or for incompetent AI, and I had burning hate for something like not being allowed to sell cars in house or credit limit or car restriction like GT4 or forcing to buy cars like GT6. I also dismiss anyone who only wants something just because of nostalgia filter, they had to explain valid reasoning for it outside of rose tinted glasses (hate double standards, either for nostalgia/old or only new ones). Yeah probably I sometimes can jump on like that, but you are no different, you also give snarky comments to someone just because someone enjoys something you don't, like online free roams, or regarding collectors, or admittedly less one but menu layout immersion.

I want to point out where purely pessimistic, glass half empty mindset (and I'm so cynical as well) which people encourage and praise isn't necessarily more right or more reasonable. So if someone criticizes PD while getting something objectively wrong (like the one where someone claims PD never do a championship event, as they think all PD events are like Sunday Cup and the suggestion being "commit to an event, have to race the tracks in order, final standings should be based on the event as a whole, forfeit current event for different event" which is the already existing Championship mode just that it didn't exist in GTS, or saying that they never made Qualifying; they did but it got removed after GT4 and hadn't returned), either that they forgot or they purposely ignore for the sake of criticizing, I'd criticize and correct that, the part where they got it wrong. Or if someone got double standard-y and criticizes PD for something and ignore the other games that did the same even if those are right. But OK I got your point here, if something is similar with real world stuff, then it's allowed even if it correlates with some elements of those previous tests.

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't bash GT 24/7 and points out/corrects something good about something people bash will be considered a fanboy or apologist

No, I didn't say that. What I said is you always turn up whenever I or anyone else says anything even mildly critical. You had nothing to say about my UI in this UI design thread, you just took issue with what you saw as "blindly bashing GT elements", which isn't even true. I didn't bash anything just for the sake of it, I clearly explained how the old GT format was unrealistic, why the old tests weren't beneficial, and how I would improve it. That's about as constructive as you can get.

But, whatever. You do you.

Hopefully GT Mode, and Sport mode are two separate entities in GT7.

Web 1920 – 1.png

EDIT: Yes, the car garages would still be universal like always in past titles. I think its pretty obvious cars used in Sport mode will be immune to engine/oil decay, and have tuning disabled. (and if not disabled, probably using the GT Sport method of tuning. Which makes another case for separating Sport from GT Mode). Because of this, Separating both modes in the main menu makes the most sense, as it will make the differences in the two modes a little more obvious, and lead to less confusion among new players. Besides, it will be nice from a UI prospective for Sport players not needing to dig around for the mode in GT Town, surrounded by hubs that are not relevant to it.

Last edited:
I do miss when past GT titles had this sort of 'top menu' where GT Mode and Arcade Mode were two clearly separate parts of the game. I don't know why this sort of menu was dropped after GT6 came out, since it made it much easier for casual players to just get into a race right away.

Now that I think about it, I didn't see an Arcade Mode option in the GT7 menu that was featured in the trailer... I wonder if the game will have this kind of menu in it.

I do miss when past GT titles had this sort of 'top menu' where GT Mode and Arcade Mode were two clearly separate parts of the game. I don't know why this sort of menu was dropped after GT6 came out, since it made it much easier for casual players to just get into a race right away.

Now that I think about it, I didn't see an Arcade Mode option in the GT7 menu that was featured in the trailer... I wonder if the game will have this kind of menu in it.
That is my thoughts too, along with no 'Sport' tab seen either. Of course it could be in the Multiplayer tab along with open lobby, but I feel like that would be super confusing for some players.

It’s been a while and I love this topic so I decided to give the menu another go.

I wanted to incorporate my design old design with the “GT5 Prologue” design with the design seen in the GT7 trailer.

With a little bit of learning and using some new sounds and music, I present a “What If” Gran Turismo 7 Boot Up...

And some boot up screenshots

DF48270B-476F-471F-9696-7986B7675155.png
8D9BAD7B-2773-4B08-BA4B-F84D63087FA3.png
D8E4DF0A-757B-4B9F-9A5B-A81075EB1D5B.png

Last edited:
It’s been a while and I love this topic so I decided to give the menu another go.

I wanted to incorporate my design old design with the “GT5 Prologue” design with the design seen in the GT7 trailer.

With a little bit of learning and using some new sounds and music, I present a “What If” Gran Turismo 7 Boot Up...

And some boot up screenshots

View attachment 989038 View attachment 989039 View attachment 989040

The music starting at 1:48 sounds a lot like a slowed down version of "Drift of Air" from GT4, nice.

Back