Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,956 comments
Unless we get a maintenance notice tomorrow, I’m beginning to suspect that new content will arrive next week and with silhouettes being teased this coming weekend. This would make it a February update but arriving so early that it makes little difference to the update pattern. Then VR could arriver later in the month without any new cars and events. Just speculating here.
I think it makes a ton of sense to consolidate these two hypothetical updates.

Unless we get a maintenance notice tomorrow, I’m beginning to suspect that new content will arrive next week and with silhouettes being teased this coming weekend. This would make it a February update but arriving so early that it makes little difference to the update pattern. Then VR could arriver later in the month without any new cars and events. Just speculating here.
I really hope you're right, but also...

pepe.jpg

Even if the press only get their hands on PS VR2 a week before release, that means all software and updates need to be ready for Feb 15th. That's assuming all the launch titles will be ready for the press to review. So realistically a little over 2 weeks to be ready.

Do you guys think pd should remove rain from races like the 1 hour of spa? I done this race around 14 times now in the last 2 days and half and only 1 times had it not rain. In my experience rain make the race super easy cause the rain just catches there ai with there pants down every single time.

If not remove it but at least limit it in how many times it happens.

The ai just doesn't know what rain is.

Even if the press only get their hands on PS VR2 a week before release, that means all software and updates need to be ready for Feb 15th. That's assuming all the launch titles will be ready for the press to review. So realistically a little over 2 weeks to be ready.
Your point being?

Do you guys think pd should remove rain from races like the 1 hour of spa? I done this race around 14 times now in the last 2 days and half and only 1 times had it not rain. In my experience rain make the race super easy cause the rain just catches there ai with there pants down every single time.

What, no, absolutely not? Why would I ever want them to remove weather lol.

The race is easy anyway. Blame the AI, not the dynamic weather system that actually works.

Wait. We are supposed to avoid overtaking these cars? I've been overtaking those cars during yellow flag while still maintaining clean race bonus. I just avoid overtaking cars who are on track and pointing in right direction.

And then there was one time when I accidentally overtook an opponent just after yellow flag started because I was at much higher speed than the opponent and I applied full brakes as soon as yellow flag started. Still maintained clean race bonus.

As for your topic, I am torn. I absolutely love the rain but it is indeed abysmal how AI just falls apart in rain.

What, no, absolutely not? Why would I ever want them to remove weather lol.

The race is easy anyway. Blame the AI, not the dynamic weather system that actually works.
Agree not remove it but at least limit it.
Wait. We are supposed to avoid overtaking these cars? I've been overtaking those cars during yellow flag while still maintaining clean race bonus. I just avoid overtaking cars who are on track and pointing in right direction.

And then there was one time when I accidentally overtook an opponent just after yellow flag started because I was at much higher speed than the opponent and I applied full brakes as soon as yellow flag started. Still maintained clean race bonus.

As for your topic, I am torn. I absolutely love the rain but it is indeed abysmal how AI just falls apart in rain.
From what I know yes you can pass the car that cost the yellow flag you just cant pass the other cars.

In that gif I didn't pass cause I didn't have any room and I didn't wanna get a exceeding track limit penalty.

Last edited:

This deserves to be in this thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-whats-really-changed-for-the-better.415902/ xD

This is so bad and at the same time sad and funny that PD didn't fix it for so long. I forgot how bad AI is in this game on the tracks with rain.

Right. And they're high profile because we hear about them.

The chances of Polyphony having done a similar thing and nobody having said anything are not zero, but they're pretty low. Not just that, their Careers page is (as usual) full of open ads for just about every role at the company. Unusual, if you're trying to downsize like has been the case for the other major layoffs.

Not impossible, but to quote myself - "...sort of unlikely."

==========

As an aside and not related to this conversation, I noticed while I was there that on their Careers page there isn't any jobs that are obvious candidates for "the person that what writes the campaign missions and stuff". Which is sort of interesting.

On their Part Time work page they have this:

View attachment 1225196
For those who can't read Japanese, the job description says pretty much exactly what you'd expect - provide support for producing racing events for the Gran Turismo series. If anyone is inclined to apply, be warned that they value this role at the princely sum of 1800 yen an hour. About US$14.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little. I hoped that there was an explanation for the lack of structured career and events that wasn't "we went cheap on the people who were doing the work".
I don't know what to do with this information... if the listing is current, part of me thinks "Dear PD, here is my resumé, attached are some Endurance Custom Race parameters I've already tested and an outline of a few hundred other events.

The other part of me is worried that the position is already filled, poor Race Event Planning Assistant-san has the weight of the world on their shoulders, and the recent "2 laps of Nordschleife for 25,000Cr" event is a protest/cry for help.

:D

But what if it is? :nervous:

With the employment/workplace talk earlier: Has anyone thought about any potential workplace-related issues (crunch, etc) within PD?

It's great when there's competition between developers, I'm sure the new Forza Motorsport will push PD. What's increasingly clear is we aren't going to get big generational leaps forward. I was expecting to be blown away, but there's some very mediocre lighting and car modelling in this trailer. Extremely limited details on physics, race features, and so on. More to come tomorrow.

No release date is also disappointing, GT7 will have been on the market for 18 months.

500+ cars at launch

20+ racing environments

Last edited:
It's great when there's competition between developers, I'm sure the new Forza Motorsport will push PD. What's increasingly clear is we aren't going to get big generational leaps forward. I was expecting to be blown away, but there's some very meiocre lighting and car modelling in this trailer. Extremely limited details on physics, race features, and so on. More to come tomorrow.

No release date is also disappointing, GT7 will have been on the market for 18 months.

image.png

Nice to see the GT-ONE in a game again. I hope GT brings it back soon enough.

To be honest if FM launches with iconic GT cars that not even GT has, there'll be a bit of egg on PD's face.

Folks really acting like PD will care that much when it never made a difference before. You enjoy what you are seeing so far with Forza Motorsport, cool. But let's stop acting because finally a mainline Forza game is coming this year that PD better act fast, because that has never happened the entire time Forza existed and I see no signs that it suddenly will now.

Last edited:
Folks really acting like PD will care that much when it never made a difference before. You enjoy what you are seeing so far with Forza Motorsport, cool. But let's stop acting because a finally a mainline Forza game is coming this year that PD better act fast, because that has never happened the entire time Forza existed and I see no signs that it suddenly will now.
PD being PD never really cares about the competitors, GT sells 3 o 4 more than any other racing game excepting Mario Kart and this is one of the problems

Last edited:
It's great when there's competition between developers, I'm sure the new Forza Motorsport will push PD. What's increasingly clear is we aren't going to get big generational leaps forward. I was expecting to be blown away, but there's some very mediocre lighting and car modelling in this trailer. Extremely limited details on physics, race features, and so on. More to come tomorrow.

500+ cars at launch

20+ racing environments

Agree it looks quite similar to GT7 tbh

Hopefully they get inspired and finally discover that we're not in 2005 anymore and that using reconstruction to hit 4K will leave them with headroom for more graphical effects. RT Reflections on Forza is a huge plus visuals-wise
I honestly think RT reflections in real-time is a bit of a waste. It's nice to have, sure, but it's not the type of thing you can pay a ton of attention to while focused on racing. While I agree 100% that PD should use a reconstruction technique instead of targeting native 4K, I think they should use the extra headroom for ray-traced shadows and ambient occlusion. It would add significantly more depth and realism to the environments, something that GT7 lacks when looking at placed props, shading within foliage, etc.

shadows_compare.jpg

I honestly think RT reflections in real-time is a bit of a waste. It's nice to have, sure, but it's not the type of thing you can pay a ton of attention to while focused on racing. While I agree 100% that PD should use a reconstruction technique instead of targeting native 4K, I think they should use the extra headroom for ray-traced shadows and ambient occlusion. It would add significantly more depth and realism to the environments, something that GT7 lacks when looking at placed props, shading within foliage, etc.

View attachment 1225627
Yeah RT shadows would be fantastic as well. Makes a big difference in GTAV

Speaking of graphics, I wonder what downgrades, if any, are needed in GT7 to get it to work in PSVR2.

And if so, will those downgrades also be applied to the base game outside of VR?

Speaking of graphics, I wonder what downgrades, if any, are needed in GT7 to get it to work in PSVR2.

And if so, will those downgrades also be applied to the base game outside of VR?
No reason why they would downgrade the game for the VR2 mode. GT Sport for example already had worse graphics in VR than it did on the flat mode.

But GTS VR was a separate mode. GT7's VR encompasses the entire game, no?
It doesn't really matter how it was accessed since it was still the same content in regards to tracks / cars. Things like draw distance, shadow quality, reflection quality, model quality, etc. are just changed on the fly depending on the mode you're using.

Back