Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
I hope there’s a big collector’s edition like there was with GT5. I don’t remember if GTS even had that.

67081D41-16F4-44C5-A87A-DDD9B0CCEDD7.jpeg

I'm getting the digital version. Suspect most customers will get the disc drive.
This is the debate I'm having with myself,a small voice in my head keeps saying"what if disc only dlc gets released".

This was only available in Europe if i’m remembering it correctly? Here in America we got just the steelbook I believe.
Yeah,
I got the GT5 kit in Australia. It was a black two-piece GT logo metal box. Came with the metal game jacket, orange/silver striped SLS(I never unboxed it), a small GT book, black keyfob looking memory stick and a GT key chain.

Sold it to a father in 2016, with my PS3.

Found this, was expecting the modernized map menu to be shown like this (of course place icons in certain place as game sections):
pd-proceduralgeneration-city004.png
That's what I'm talking about. Would love navigating through that city. Pick up XP, safety rating, driver rating, etc.
Mini game of driving the quickest route to a destination, while doing the speed limit. Ordering and picking up parts before the shop closes. :lol::sly:

GTS "only" have 400 cars, so yes, 500 seems fair. GT5 got 1000 cars but only 200 premiums.

But things change. We are in 21st century now and they've been developing GT7 for a while now with faster and more accurate computing. What took a day to render 10 years ago takes roughly 2 hours today. And if GT Sport has 400 cars GT7 as a full GT title should have at least twice that. We are not focusing our view to premium and standards here. All cars should've been premium since GT6 but lack of computing power prevented that. GT Sport was on the right track just slightly "underpowered" but with the upcoming beast of a PlayStation and a new full GT title PD better deliver. We are all counting on them. Anything below 600 would be insulting to the Gran Turismo name itself.

Kaz will not let us down this time, I'm sure.

But things change. We are in 21st century now and they've been developing GT7 for a while now with faster and more accurate computing. What took a day to render 10 years ago takes roughly 2 hours today. And if GT Sport has 400 cars GT7 as a full GT title should have at least twice that. We are not focusing our view to premium and standards here. All cars should've been premium since GT6 but lack of computing power prevented that. GT Sport was on the right track just slightly "underpowered" but with the upcoming beast of a PlayStation and a new full GT title PD better deliver. We are all counting on them. Anything below 600 would be insulting to the Gran Turismo name itself.

I'm more optimistic regarding PD seeing the work they've done on something like car sounds, livery editor, etc (they seem to haven't put that work on AI). or the fact that they revealed GT7 this early unlike GTS, and also the PS4's success which PS5 seem will continue but isn't this a pattern every new consoles? PS2; GT3 went from 650 cars to only 181 cars. PS3; GT5 also went from 721 to 221 premium cars, PS4; GTS went from 447 premium cars (and 152 semi-premium if those can count) to 168 cars. And for now though GTS has significantly increased number of cars to 336, but it's still nowhere near what Kaz wants to have by the end of its lifetime (500 cars). So where do you think that they've been developing GT7 with faster/accurate computing? Kaz did say that he worked on next GT after releasing GTS, but if GT7 can give much more than GTS, why are they holding back the contents for GT7 and not giving them out in GTS? (not the game's other traditional features, but the cars/tracks at least)

Last edited:

Temper your expectation. You are right about more computing power today, but you are forgetting that the quality of assets increased significantly. 10 years ago it would take 2 weeks to model a car, now it can take up to 6 months, because of the increased detail and complexity. I would say 500 car on launch is the realistic number.

Isn't this a pattern every new consoles? PS2; GT3 went from 650 cars to only 181 cars. PS3; GT5 also went from 721 to 221 premium cars, PS4; GTS went from 447 premium cars (and 152 semi-premium if those can count) to 168 cars. And for now though GTS has significantly increased number of cars to 336, but it's still nowhere near what Kaz wants to have by the end of its lifetime (500 cars). So where do you think that they've been developing GT7 with faster/accurate computing? Kaz did say that he worked on next GT after releasing GTS, but if GT7 can give much more than GTS, why are they holding back the contents for GT7 and not giving them out in GTS? (not the game's other traditional features, but the cars/tracks at least)

Kaz will not release the cars and tracks into GT Sport. It doesn’t really make sense to release them onto a dying game. There needs to be an appeal to buying GT7. By holding back, they will be able to say ‘We will have 700 cars’ in GT 7, more than double that of GT Sport. And looking at the UI and similarities in graphics, GT Sport is basically a prologue to GT7 and GT7 has been in development since GT6 release basically because a lot of GT Sport stuff is being brought forward.

And looking at the UI and similarities in graphics, GT Sport is basically a prologue to GT7 and GT7 has been in development since GT6 release basically because a lot of GT Sport stuff is being brought forward.

I love how people are labelling something that was the only GT game for an entire console generation as a "prologue". Are we really so far down the rabbit hole that we think it takes 7+ years to develop a mainline Gran Turismo game now?

I love how people are labelling something that was the only GT game for an entire console generation as a "prologue". Are we really so far down the rabbit hole that we think it takes 7+ years to develop a mainline Gran Turismo game now?

I think most people believe it was, and was necessary to their shoe in to the eSports race. The fact that they could drag it out for a few years was a smart move, but releasing a mainline GT at the start of a new console, not on that console, bought them time well into the PS4 life cycle to release it.

Well I've been thinking the same, for a very long time: GT Sport = GT7 Prologue. Nothing will ever make me change my mind. I know that's what PD were planning.
Look at how limited GTS is compared to GT5 and GT6 in terms of content. That's why PD never called it GT7, it was something "in between". It was to test new graphics, features and licenses (especially FIA/eSports). No wonder why GT7 looks so similar to GTS as of now.
I know what a full game is, and GTS isn't one. Look at the so called offline mode: some random events added here and there. No real progression, just some accomplishments. No aftermarket body and tuning parts like in previous titles.
Online? Nothing that really made me want to keep paying for PS+ for more than a month.
They added cars as time went by. Now we have a more consistent car list for GT7.

Last edited:
Well I've been thinking the same, for a very long time: GT Sport = GT7 Prologue. Nothing will ever make me change my mind. I know that's what PD were planning.
Look at how limited GTS is compared to GT5 and GT6 in terms of content. That's why PD never called it GT7, it was something "in between". It was to test new graphics, features and licenses (especially FIA/eSports). No wonder why GT7 looks so similar to GTS as of now.
I know what a full game is, and GTS isn't one. Look at the so called offline mode: some random events added here and there. No real progression, just some accomplishments. No aftermarket body and tuning parts like in previous titles.
Online? Nothing that really made me want to keep paying for PS+ for more than a month.
They added cars as time went by. Now we have a more consistent car list for GT7.
They did at one time:
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-could-have-been-called-gt7-sport/

And they also claimed that in GTS, the online part was only like, 15% part of the game.

It also cost $60. That GT Sport was pitiful in content and structure for people with no interest in what it was offering doesn't change that PD went well out of their way to tell people that it was in fact a real Gran Turismo game.

Whether you like it or not GTS is not GT7 Prologue.

GTS was a revolutionary game in the GT franchise, so much so that it set the bar for multiplayer racing on consoles in the entire industry and kickstarted the competitions scene in GT.

It also had plenty of content to be a standalone.

GT7 will be a next generation game, with an entirely different design philosophy. Don't know why people are pointing to the graphics, GT7 is 4K 60 FPS with varying ray tracing. It absolutely blows GTS out of the water in terms of graphical tech.

Whether you like it or not GTS is not GT7 Prologue.

GTS was a revolutionary game in the GT franchise, so much so that it set the bar for multiplayer racing on consoles in the entire industry and kickstarted the competitions scene in GT.

It also had plenty of content to be a standalone.

GT7 will be a next generation game, with an entirely different design philosophy. Don't know why people are pointing to the graphics, GT7 is 4K 60 FPS with varying ray tracing. It absolutely blows GTS out of the water in terms of graphical tech.

*Laughs in GT7SP game files*

Look at how limited GTS is compared to GT5 and GT6 in terms of content.

But it wasn't that different from GT1 and GT3 which were also the first games on their respective consoles. The fact is that there have been 4 first GT games on consoles, and three of them were pretty tiny and one was pretty tiny with GT4 stapled to the back page.

The argument that the size of GTS makes it a prologue doesn't hold up, especially when you look at the size of the actual, named prologues. GT4P and GT5P were glorified demos created to give the consumer something to tide them over during extended delays. GT1, GT3 and GTS are all perfectly acceptable full games when you look at what else is on the market.

That's why PD never called it GT7, it was something "in between".

Right. Not that they wanted to highlight the significant change in gameplay focus towards esports. And ignoring what the creator himself has said.

https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-no-plans-gran-turismo-7/

“Gran Turismo 7 is not currently planned. All our studios are focused on Gran Turismo Sport and, once it is out, the DLC that follows afterwards.”

Hmm, it's almost like he considers it to be it's own independent game and not a path towards a "real" GT7.

“For me, Gran Turismo Sport is Gran Turismo 7. Gran Turismo Sport is something that marks the beginning of a new generation or era. When you consider Gran Turismo 1-6 as the first era, GT Sport marks a new generation moving forward.”

Wow, the creator of the game himself thinks that GTS was the equivalent of GT7 at the time, a full mainline title that embodies a new style for the franchise.

I'm sorry mate, Kazunori Yamauchi himself says you're wrong. If you think you know his mind better than he does, maybe think about that for a second. But you'll never change your mind because you know more about how the game was designed than the guy who designed it, right?

I know what a full game is, and GTS isn't one.

You saying that you know what a full game is doesn't make it true.

In my mind, technically every GT game is a "prologue" to the next one. If you look at the GT1/2 and GT5 modding threads where people crack open the game files, you'll see there are lots of remnants in the game files of assets from older games, and lots of unfinished/placeholder objects (e.g. track logos, text strings, half finished tracks & cars, etc). If Kaz has his way he probably would keep working on GT until the end of time and never release a complete game :lol: But fortunately for us, Sony probably knocks down his door and demands a game to be put on disc every few years. Whatever PD has complete at that time, they just put it in one package, slap a fresh UI on top and burn it to a disc. Voila, you got a new GT.

GT Sport is a weird one because it's a radical departure from the previous games' structures. At launch it is very barebones, though with the addition of GT League and cars/tracks throughout its lifetime it has rightly caught up to the mainline series in terms of content. Yes it doesn't have stuff like parts upgrades and offline championships, but it's certainly a bigger game than GT5 Prologue and even GT PSP. The way I see it is as a full game but a spinoff from the main series. Definitely not a prologue. That's why the next game is called GT7 and not GT8.

Or think of it another way, instead of the subscription service model of iRacing where you spend little bits of money regularly, with GT you plonk down 60 bucks every 3-4 years and get all the content and updates in one chunk as a "new" game. Whatever that game is called, doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

People seem to be confusing a different design direction with Prologue. GT Sport may not be "complete" compared to the previous main game titles, but it's not a demo either. It wasn't designed to be a preview for GT7, it was designed for online competition; everything else was an extra bonus to expand the game. When you have an active player base, you need to keep them entertained with new content. It's not done to pad out the game until the launch of the next one.

Back