Gran Turismo FIA Online Championship World Final Preview: Glory Awaits

Aghhhhh.
I can't believe they were smart enough to finally just have one-make races for all the races: and then for the Repecharge it was a sodding Gr. B race with a car draw.

I'm so annoyed. I genuinely thought they'd figured out that the car draws just make the racing more artificial: causing overtakes to happen just because the cars are mismatched and not because one driver is more skilled than the other.
Lopez's overtake on Sugawara on the run to the Corkscrew really showed having unique cars is unnecessary - it was a cool moment, and they were both in the Focus.

Brooks's misfortune is frustrating, but there's not really anything that can be done.
A red flag might reset the field, but there's going to be some problems at T1 no matter what: it's how the track is.
Reminds me of WTCC 2008 at Oschersleben. "The man who designed that first corner should be taken into a dark room..."

It's fine in the reverse layout, but even just for the regular track it needs reprofiling.
A tight 90-degree corner never works for T1 on a racetrack, because there's always many lines in, one line out. Too many people will think you can overtake there: long braking zones = overtaking opportunity, after all, and there you go.

Anyway, I really hope that next year's season has the World Finals participants be based solely on the World Tour events.
Surely those should act as Qualifiers for the Finals? But instead, only the WT winners qualify, and the rest used online results: you know, just the same as every other World Tour event...

Put a World Tour event's results in order (finals, repercharge, semifinals) and set them as points in a championship table: use that to determine who gets to go to the World Finals.
If you want to treat a World Tour event winner as someone special (ie. if you want them to be able to skip the rest of the World Tour events): actually treat them specially, bypassing the World Final semi-finals.
If you want to allow people to make mistakes: make it half bye rounds, same as with the Online Series (so only your best half of the season counts).

But right now, there's no reward for consistency: you're put on the spot in every single race of every single event, and that by itself causes a lot of incidents.
You always have been, but losing people like Fraga outside of the main event really just highlights how ****ed it is right now.

A couple of surprises, both good and bad with Nations Semi-Final:
  • Igor being out that quickly is surprising... and not at the same time. I have done enough Red Bull Ring races to know that the curbing exiting T1 can be evil in Gr3 cars. The colder tires with the longer rolling start didn't help either. There's always one or two fast guys that bin it there; Igor was the unlucky one this time.
  • What exactly was Carrazza's penalty for at RBR? It couldn't have been for Li because he was already spinning on his own. There was nowhere to go there.
  • Tough break for Kokubun. Tried an outside move and pretty much was run off in a three wide situation.
  • Honestly, I am so fed up watching my good friend @Deafsun getting taken out. This was at least the fifth time this year. Nice guys finish last. 👎
  • I always knew @Dodge Lamb was fast. So close to getting a podium in Supra Cup Tokyo but after what happened with Deafsun, him getting the maiden Laguna Seca win in GT Sport was the best thing that could've happened.
  • Where did Coque come from? I seriously though he was done but somehow, he climbed all the way to the last transfer spot at Laguna Seca. Cleanly, too! I think showing his perspective of that entire drive should be put up on YT at some point.

Why do the first races always have to be sudden death and why are the final events always only 12 players.
Should be a full 20 man field imo and and at least 2 chances before being eliminated.
Absolutely gutted that more than a few of the best players were out on literally the FIRST CORNER!!
Really like the idea of the WT winners being seeded into the actual finals and some kind of running tally of points from those events having an effect as well in the finals.
Really sorry Andrew always cheering for you, but really happy to see your buddy take the repechage. Don’t give up, keep pushing and you’ll kick proper arse sooner or later

Caught up on all the action last night, and certainly no lack of drama to kick things off! While it was disappointing to see Fraga go out so soon, that is the harsh reality of motorsport and its the same for everyone. If your not going to give the reigning Champion a free pass to the finals (and I doubt anyone would have wanted that) then this was always a possibility and demonstrates the fine line these top guys are racing at.

Also disapointed that Suswillo didn't get through, but seriously impressed with Lopez. We're all singing his praises for always taking the direct route from semis to finals and then he pulls something out of the bag that was even more impressive than that.

The scenes of Solis winning the repechage were pretty special and great to see.

@Deafsun I've no idea what to say. I've not seen someone have such a crappy run of luck and you deserve so much more from these events. What happened to you was more disappointing than Fraga not going through. Feels like anything I say will sound like empty word but hope you can pick yourself back up, move on and get the success you thoroughly deserve.

Yeah it was painful as heck to see Fraga get eliminated so early in the round but after the slip being regulated to the back there was hardly any way for him to recover. Still great champion he is nevertheless. Sometimes all it takes is one little mistake though especially against other top drivers which they all are at that level in the game.

As for Hizal aka Lightning, can't take anything away from him, he raced like a true champion as always, leading the pack from the get go and never looked back. Huge props to you Lightning. I be rooting for you in the final.

Another stand out was Cokey Lopez no doubt...well deserved man of the match/viewers choice. In the Repercharge starting in 12th position right at the back of the field to finish in 3rd position that is one hell of a feat. :cheers:. Huge kudos.

Looking forward to the upcoming races. Manufacturers Cup....Can Fraga redeem himself? We'll see. I hope so for him and his team.
And of course the Nations Cup Final. Should be one helluva Final. Won't miss it for the world.
The best to all competitors.

I don't get why the Nations races were all sprints while the Manufacturers they uploaded during the night (I couldn't catch it live) were races with fuel consumption and tire wear. These races leave a better chance of comeback and different strategies. Those Nations races were "mistake = you lose, see you next year".
Amazing event nonetheless. Some amazing moments until now.

I'd never heard of BlackPanthaa before the stream, but assume he is there for the Pro/Am race. And seeing as he seems to have about 3x more subscribers than SuperGT and Jimmy Broadbent, and it is a lot of people to potentially reach. ;) Maybe he will start streaming GT Sport too, but even if he doesn't, that's 900k+ of his racing game fan subscribers reached. ;)

Of course his impact could be lessened if they don't show the Pro/Am race again. ;)
Im surprise a lot of ppl seam to not know who BlackPanthaa was in stream chat it was kinda funny reaction -_-
He usually pretends to be really bad at certain racing games just to entertain the audience.
Yeah he more of an entertainer than anything chasing the latest release and trend. i don't he ever try GT Sport Competitive modes.

Did you not see the giant GT6 logo on the screen after that bit? What was the point of showing old footage?
Mazda was talking about its first collaboration with GT, in 2014, and the Vision GT - which then appeared as the FOS Central Feature in 2015, replicated in an update to GT6.

I don't get why the Nations races were all sprints while the Manufacturers they uploaded during the night (I couldn't catch it live) were races with fuel consumption and tire wear. These races leave a better chance of comeback and different strategies. Those Nations races were "mistake = you lose, see you next year".
I'm not entirely sure which races you wre watching in the night, but the Manufacturer Final doesn't start for another 2 hours? :confused:

This event has been great so far!

these were the top 16 superstar races for the 19/20 exhibition series witch were pre recorded online. Manufacture Final is in 2 hours

Back