Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
I voted yes, it would be nice to have but I would rather the resources be spent improving the car's (more premium), adding more tracks and more filter's for lobbies like only certain car's a function to allow the host to kick people from the lobby, a blacklist client side of bad drivers you encouter, then once that is all done can consider adding freeroam.

It would be awesome.. I loved it in NFS Porsche unleashed back on ps1 haha

Racing on the track was great, but then just driving around in the city was just so relaxing!!

It's called the real driving simulator and up until now doesn't offer a simulation of driving [in the sense that what you're doing is racing], so yes, definitely.

I say No. Give me more like 500 (at least) premium cars. Online XP and credits (ooo a wager system would be cool.) and take care of the other little glitches and things. Then maybe "free roam".

To be honest if I want to just "roam" around I would play GTA or hell I would pay for WoW.

I voted Yes, but first:

1. Fix the shadows
2. Make the more important standard cars premium, or at least give a basic cockpit view for the standards.
3. Make licenses relevant
4. Allow us to adjust custom gear ratios
5. Give us a removable HUD

Then afterwards, you can work on free roam.

Looking at the votes and comment I'm asking: who are you people? :confused:
Sounds like MANY of you come from a arcade/Grand Theft Auto/Test Drive Unlimited background.

Last edited:
I`ve played and completed all GTs and still would love to see a free roaming feature. I`m not a perfectionist like some of you, who cares about the trees or effing shadows wtf...

I`ve played and completed all GTs and still would love to see a free roaming feature. I`m not a perfectionist like some of you, who cares about the trees or effing shadows wtf...
Shadows are as important as cars details, in fact they're PART of the cars. Nobody is talking about trees by the way. They're ok the way they are.

There are many things that need to be fixed in terms of gameplay, not just graphics.

Not now, there are more important issues to be addressed. Make all cars premium, and fix the shadows, framerate and screen tearing, then yes implement it.

Not now, there are more important issues to be addressed. Make all cars premium, and fix the shadows, framerate and screen tearing, then yes implement it.
There's nothing they can do about tearing. If they turn vertical sync on the framerate would collapse.
Actually I don't care about that. I rarely see it and when I do it's barely noticeable, except when whipers are on, but hey....you want to make an omelette? You have to brake some eggs.

I voted yes but we need ucl fix and more premiums. Ucl should be like in gt2 were you go to each dealer and they have all the used cars at there respective dealer. And if they add free roam street racing will emerge from that and how is that going to work? I think they should do something like World Racing 2 did

I voted no. The more features and more options you put into a game normally makes it better but, trying to implement something like this now puts other, more important issues on the back burner. I would have voted yes had the game initially come out with only minor imperfections.

Ditto to what bigguy and the like have said.

There are enough big and small issues in GT5 that a number of people have been returning their games. Like... "I can't change rims on Standard cars." I can see the "no cockpit" thing, but this?! Seriously, guys. Some of you people are just sad. :P

And there's working on making the Online system big, robust, user friendly and fun - with prizes for finishes, please. The matters dealing with Standard cars. The transmission fiasco... there are a few dozen little things, and some big, which they need to address first. A free roam city/region should be dead last on a "to do" list.

I'm on the "more tracks" bandwagon myself. I want to see all the tracks from all the previous GT games brought up to Standard levels at least and added in over time, and raceable in single player GT Life mode. At least the major ones like Midfield, Red Rock Valley, Pike's Peak and Grindelwald - and yes, I know it's similar in some small ways to Eiger, but it's not really. If you dig out your PS1, or dare I say it, Bleemcast, and give GT2 a spin, you'll see that Grindelwald is not much like Eiger at all.

I would just like the ability to browse through my garage full of cars in first-person and be able to look at them from any angle, open/close hoods and doors and actually sit down in the car and start it. I'd probably spend all of my gaming time doing that!

This has been my vision of future GT titles since GT3.

I dont think it will be implemented till the PS4 era just mainly down to the power of the PS3, its not enough. Its been said that Kaz had to make a fair few restraints with GT5 because of the PS3 power. So to implement a free roaming world where you can drive to dealerships and races and the licence test centre, with the way GT5 is showing off the cars? Pretty much impossible unless he takes a lot of visual quality of the game.

I voted "no" because I would rather the effort be spent on more premiums and more tracks. However, HuggyBear has a good take on the idea; one I think I would enjoy in a future release of the game.

Well, "Turismo" it's a word that comes from "tour"... and Gran Tourer cars are usually cars that are made for long trips in high velocity (ex. Ferrari 612, Aston DB9, BMW M6, and goes on).

What's so bad about it? I know, fixing the buggy stuff its a first to do. But after that, what's so bad?

I enjoy a lot cruising with friends on SSR7, SSR5, even La Sarthe, as the huge straight resembles a countryroad sometimes...

Really, it would be awesome. Together with point-to-point rallyes just like Toscana Night stage on Gran Tour challenge.

Just think about it guys! Don't be so hard. I'm not talking about usual GTA mess stuff. I'm talking about awesome and beautiful roads...

First - fixes, of course!

Nice idea if executed well... however, I voted no as GT5 already suffers from feature creep, and I think the basics should be concentrated on.

errr...Kaz everyone whos a GT fan wants those 800 standard cars to premimum, thats your priority!! Whos gives a damm about free roam when we cant even change rims on 800 cars...???

btw i voted no.

So, you guys who voted yes - you do realise it's the same Polyphony 3D artists responsible for premium cars and tracks who will be put to work on free-roam's 1080p streets, yes? Great choice.

Nice idea, but not needed, given the games current shortcomings.

Concerning the origins of "Gran Turismo" as has been mentioned, that would be a direction something like this would need to go. It would have to avoid illegal activities and street racing. But if PD designed a highway system for specific areas around the world (US 101, for instance) and turned it into a Free Roam Photo Mode, I think they would be on to something. Great driving roads and great scenery with multiple stopping locations for photo shoots
would be something I could back. Make this available online so you and your friends could have a "cruise" and meet up for multiple car photos and it'd be even better.

Nobody said nothing about stealing cars and killing people on streets... actually it's just a cruise/open road mode perhaps.

I hope we can at least get out and virtually punch and kick our own car in our frustration at PD, then virtually walk around a bit to cool off.

I hope we can at least get out and virtually punch and kick our own car in our frustration at PD, then virtually walk around a bit to cool off.

what about the ability to punch the A.I drivers? for being so cheap and dirty, brake checking you every race..drag them out during a race and punch him a bit, left crippled:)

I vote a definite yes for this, because this is what I've always wanted PD to do ever since GT3, they need to do something new. This game is a driving simulator so why not be able to collect the cars you love and then be able to drive it around scenic real world places such as a beautiful island like Hawaii where you can drive your Ferrari 458 up to Mauna Kea and do a photoshoot overlooking the breath taking scenery. Of course this would have to be based online like TDU's MMO system to be worthwhile. And then you have the choice to travel to different locations around the world to drive through a virtual city or location. I think this would be fantastic. Especially after a long hard day at work. think of it like a virtual vacation or get away. I think this would truly be unique and a first time any game took this sort of direction. TDU has got it right, but I believe in the hands of PD this would be a whole lot better.

I really hope that future GT series will be an open world, free roam where you can drive your favorite cars and be able to enjoy more than just racing around a loop 20 times. That can get old fast. I rather be able to take my car out and enjoy the scenery and take any route I choose to, instead of being in one big loop. GT is a driving simulator not a racing simulator. Although it would be nice to include a racing track for those who wish to race as well.

There is a game that seems to be attempting this called Test Drive Unlimited 2. I don't think the whole idea of free roam would be implemented in a way that would be terribly exciting. All I want from GT for now are more real world race tracks and premium cars.

Back